Switch Theme:

Tyranid Rumours (1st post updated with hive guard pic.)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in de
Decrepit Dakkanaut

First Tyranid release pic leaked to the Internet:

Here a nice ordered compilation of all rumours, by ClockworkZion:
http://www.talkwargaming.com/2013/09/lets-talk-tyranids.html

Larry Vela over at BOLS wrote:40K RUMORS: Tyranids

Hold on a second - the Hivemind doesn't like Space Marines getting all the attention. Here is the latest on the bugs:

-Tyranids are after Space Marines
-Look for them before the end of the year

New Minis:

Tyranid Prime (finecast)

Harpy. Roughly size of the heldrake. Pretty much looks like the picture in prior codex.

Doom of Malantai (clamshell package)

Parasite of Mordrax (clamshell package)

Termagant sprues recut for more options (some chatter says Genestealers)

Mycetic Spore

New "Big Bug" kit (Because every army needs one!)

New Rules:

Pyrovore gains Torrent and a steep points reduction.

Hiveguard gain Skyfire

Added 14th August:
BOLS wrote:Altered FOC to help counter the lack of Allies. 3 HQ, 4 Elite, 6 Troop, 4 Fast, 4Heavy. Purchasing the 3rd HQ choice unlocks the extra Elite, Fast, and Heavy slots.

Termagants – Gain Fleet. New 10 unit box. Includes options for Spike rifles and Strangleweb. Curled tails. No rippers on sprues.

"BIG BUG" – Larger than Tervigon sized HQ unit. Oval base, hunched over, but wider. Has 18” synapse. Psyker 4. Prime version: Grants FNP and Counter Attack to Nids in 12.” Stats like Tervigon, except 2A. SitW

BOLS wrote:Two new Tyranid psychic powers lists. One list is destructive powers, one is augmentive powers.

Tervigon – Upgrade options for Termagant spawns to give them full options, but they are quite pricy.

Tyrant Guard and Hive Guard -Dual-build plastic kit. 3 models. All options for either unit.

Lictors – small point increase, gain new “Surprise!” rule (all shots against Lictors the turn after they appear are snap shots). DeathLeaper now an upgrade character.

BOLS wrote:Tyranids will be receiving a large plastic monstrous creature. -the new kit in comparison to the Tyrannofex will have similar size ratios as the Wraithknight to the Wraithlord, $115 usd.

Added 19th August:
Bell of Lost Souls 8/19/13 wrote:First off, most rumors are pointing to November for Nids - and we all know that new releases ship the first Saturday of the month.

Carnifex - significant cost reduction

Harpy – big overhaul. New model/dual-combo kit, Flying Monstrous, Sonic Screech combines with Vector striking. Additional Spore Mine Cysts may be purchased as upgrades. Default Stranglethorn has new upgrade options.

New Flyer - Fast Attack choice, the alternative build for the Harpy kit.

Ymgarl Genestealers - New special arrival rule is shared with the Lictor, may now purchase standard Genestealer biomorph upgrades.

Hiveguard: new weapon upgrade option (available to a handful of units) that grants skyfire with an "enhanced ability" to ground FMCs.

Added 20th August:
Spoiler:
Anonymous source on Faeit 212 wrote:
Tyranids, at least at current can ally with themselves essentially.
They have the standard:
2 HQ
6 Troops
3 Elites
3 Fast Attack
3 Heavy Support

And can take an optional

1 HQ
2 Troops (not minimum 1, up to 2, but instead MUST take 2 and then...)

And if they do, it unlocks
1 Elite
1 Fast Attack
1 Heavy Support.

Only an HQ from the core can be warlord.

Then the diversity comes into play.

Hive Fleets now have different rules (think chapter tactics). Your secondary brood can be from a different hive fleet. Not representing two fleets working together, just similar evolutionary strains.

There are also army wide FoC changes based on your Hive Tyrant. Wings give you the option to take Gargoyles as your compulsory troops (so max 2) for instance. Bonded carapace let's you take Carnifex's as elites as well as heavy support (but can't be more than a certain number of points, so they end up kinda baby).

They have some really cool adaptations for skyfire.

Warriors can be purchased as sergeant style upgrades for gaunts and gargoyles. They get the biomorphs of the brood and are not attached like wolf guard.

Tyrannofex will see a points decrease.

Pyrovore will see torrent.

Ranged biomorphs contribute to a model's close combat.
Melée biomorphs enhance a model's ranges attacks.
You take some biomorphs that affect both, like +1 str to both.
But having a gun makes melée better and having melée weapons improves your guns. There's some new synergy there. Mostly for big bugs.

Psychic ability is a lot worse than what it is now, but it'd be difficult to explain and just upset people who don't have the whole picture.

4chan wrote:someone posted these on 4chan.

> [...]
>- Primaris for Devastation = Warp Blast, Adaptation = Onslaught (similar to battle-focus)
>- All Tyranid powers can be used with either one or two charges to increase the effect.
>- Ravenous Advance: Units with this rule can run & assault in the same turn.
>- The Ground Trembles: All MC cause d3 Hammer of Wrath hits.
>- Red Terror, Deathleaper and Old One Eye are unique upgrades to their respective broods.
>Harpy/Erinye, plastic dual kit.
>- Harpy is designed to kill infantry hordes/provide support via its special vector strike.
>- Vector striking it can either use Spore Mine Cyst to create blasts along the path or Sonic Screech to halve initiative and cause a pinning test.
>- Erinye is an AA variant in Elite, very different front torso/head piece with gribbly tentacles.
>- Increased Swoop speed and its gimmick is grappling other flyers.
>- Vector strike -> dice roll 4+ -> the enemy flyer is dragged directly behind where the Erinye ended its move, including a new facing.
>- Both can buy broods of Gargoyles that can drop off in the movement phase when not vector striking.
>Zoanthrope (Doom)/Genethrope, plastic dual kit.
>- Zoanthropes are ML1 psykers, have access to the Devastation, Telepathy, Telekinesis tables.
>- Genethropes are similar, but have access to the Adaptation and Biomancy tables.
>- New unique biomorphs. Increased Shadow in the Warp range, Deny the Witch boost aura, two others.
>- Both types can upgrade up to ML2 but only ever get 1 power, each Elite choice is a unit of 1-3 that can contain mixded Zoan and Gene.
>- Doom has access to all the above tables and comes with Essence Leech and 3 powers.
>- Consumes a wound every time it uses a power (except for Leech), but can keep casting until a Perils roll or its down to 1 wound.
>Mycetic Spore/Mycetic Hive Node, plastic dual kit
>- Spore is a Dedicated Transport, notable changes are that SC can join and MC broods can all opt to get spores.
>- Hive Nodes are bought by HQ models (1-3 choice for Tyrants, 1 for every other HQ), no transport capacity.
>- Nodes provide Synapse and can be configured in one of many ways. Grants poison or shrouding to nearby units or terraforms (Dangerous Terrain) the surroundings.
>Carnifex
>- Old unused bimorphs in the box are options again.
>- Base cost the same but upgrades are much, much cheaper overall but lots of "only buy 1 out of this list" kind of choices which greatly limits what a fex can have.
>- Tusked gives HoW an AP value, Thornback increases the number of HoW hits.
>- Enhanced Senses gives Night Fighting.
>- Tail Scythe & Tail Mace each deliver a single hit to all models in BtB at Ini 1, with different stats.
>- Living Battering Ram rule: Changed to allow the Carnifex to assault the contents of a building/transport on a 4+ if it was destroyed by its charge, rolled once for the brood.

Added 26th August (in spoilers because of length):
Spoiler:
Anonymous source on Faeit 212 wrote:
This is from the latest test codex to finalize the rules for the upcoming codex.
HQ:
Hive tyrant:
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
8 4 7 7 5 6 5 10 3+

composition: 1 Hive tyrant
Unit type: monsterous creature

Weapons and biomorphs:
Bonded exoskeleton
bone sword (challenge weapon)
lash wip (changed: -4 to enemies initative)
scything talons

special rules:
Synapse creature
psyker mastery level 3
overlord (+1 to movement & charge distance for army until death of unit)
shadow in the warp (changed: -4 to enemy physic tests within 12'')
leaderless (death of unit will cause strengh 4 AP - hits to all units within 12'')

physic powers:(under testing)

add an additional set of scything talons: free
replace scything talons with heavy venom cannon:
stranglethorn cannon: (changed: 15pts)
twin linked death spitters: (changed: strength 5 AP 4 assault 4) :

may take the following:
Adrenal glands: 5pts
toxic sacks:
acid blood:
implant attack : (changed: challenge weapon) :
toxic miasma:
regeneration: (changed: 5+ to regain a wound at the end of the turn) :
Alpha regeneration: (4+ to geain a wound at the end of the turn):

May take up to two upgrades:
armoured shell:
wings:
spore field (-1 to enemy BS when firing at model):
physic shield (4+ invunrible save)

Swarmlord:
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
10 0 8 7 6 7 6 10 2+/4+

Composition: 1 Swarmlord
Unit type: Character Monsterous creature

Weapons and biomorphs:
Bonesabres (challenge weapon)
armoured shell
physic shield

special rules:
synapse creature (18'' range)
phyker mastery level 4
swarm leader: (changed: give one unit: rage, fear or feel no pain)
undying beast: gains eternal warrior special rule
blade parry: (changed: gains +1 attack for every enemy model in base contact. striking at initative step 7)
shadow in the warp
painfull loss: (once the unit is killed ALL models must take a unmodified leadership test (including units under synapse) the amount you fail by
on your leadership test is the amount of wounds a unit must take)

physic powers: (under testing)

Tervigon:
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
4 0 6 6 6 1 2 10 3+

Composition: 1 tervigon
unit type: monsterous creature

weapons and biomorphs: (Unchanged)

special rules:
synapse creature: (12'' range)
brood progenitor
pysker mastery level 2
shadow in the warp
spawn termagaunts
it will not die

physic powers: (under testing)

Must take one of the following:
scything talons:
piercing talons: (+1 stength)
crushing claws: (changed:
spore field:

can take one of the following:
adrenal glands :
toxic sacks:
acid blood:
toxic miasma:
regeneration:

Tyranid prime:
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
6 4 6 5 4 5 4 10 3+

Composition: 1 tyranid prime
unit type: infantry

weapons and biomorphs:
scything talons
rending claws
implant attack

special rules:
synapse creature:(6'')
alpha warrior: (changed: if unit joins warriors then synapse range increases to 12'' also allows squad to use WS)
shadow in the warp

replace scything talons with:
pair of bone swords (changed: challenge weapons) :
lash wip and bone sword:

may take the following:
adrenal glands:
toxic sacks:
regeneration:
physic shield:

ranged weaponry: (under going beta testing)

The parasite of mortrex:
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
6 0 5 5 2 6 3 10 3+

Composition: 1 parasite of mortex
unit type: jump infatry

weapons and biomorphs: (unchanged)
special rules: (unchanged)

Hive guard:
You may include a squad of hive guard if you take either the hive tyrand or the swarmlord
(these do not count towards your HQ slots)

WS BS S T W I A LD SV
4 0 6 6 1 4 3 7 3+

Unit composition: 1-3 hive guard
unit type: infatry (character)

weapons and biomorphs:
rending claws
scything talons
boned exoskeleton

special rules:
instinctive behaviour - feed
blind rampage
rage
shield wall

may take the following:
lash whip
bone sword (challenge weapon)

Added 28th August, regarding Mycetic Spores:
Bell of Lost Souls wrote:
They rain down from the Hiveships, gelatenous bags of vile ichor and malevolence. Here's the latest word on the Mycetic Spore said to arriving with the upcoming Tyranids.

-Mycetic Spore is coming with the new Tyranid release

-Plastic combo-kit that makes the Spore and another large bug.

-It is an enormous creature, with an immense abdomen/transport sac, that spills over the sides of a standard oval base.

-It has tiny vestigial arms similar to a Zoanthropes, and a head with a tentacle ringed maw.

-The giant abdomen/sac looks swollen, and has internal protuberances looking like Tyranid creatures are stretching the skin from within, about to rip their way out...

-It has forward arms options that can be upgraded for various biomorph/weapon options.

-The secondary creature build option replaces the abdomen/sac with something entirely different.

Added 19th September:
Anonymous source on Faeit 212 wrote:- NO Mystery-Box
- Dark Elves will be spread over 2 months (October + November) because all but 3 boxes will be remade. It’s going to be the largest release this year and will be followed by some events in the GW Games Stores.
- Tyranids are delayed till January (It was mentioned that they always were to be released in January but i’m not able to proof that)
- Supplements will not be released more than one per month but will see a regularly release every month next year like the codices were this year and will indeed have new model waves.
- the boxes for the Christmas packs will include just valuable units. It’s questionable what this means but I guess they want to sell them this time and therefore go with common units/-combinations

Some more dubious rumours added 7th October:
Bigred over at BOLS wrote:Release will emphasize new plastic kits.
Every missing model will ship with the release.
Smaller amount of new unseen models, higher amount of reworked existing models.
All old metal models replaced with new plastic kits (aka NO finecast survives)
Roughly 10+ new models in the release (including replacement kits and combo-kit build options)
January 2014

Larry Vela over at BOLS wrote:The Tyranids are coming up next for 40K, but there is already talk of what Supplemental codices the GW Design Studio is planning.

Here is the latest word on what is coming in the wake of the Tyranid codex.

Hivefleet (Big Bugs - not real title 2014)
Focuses on Monstrous Creatures. Book adds variant rules for deployment and FOC changes for units like the Carnifex, letting you take them in both Heavy and Elites, plus the ability to operate independently. Hivefleet balances this with some prohibited units, and the inability to go first in any mission.

Hivefleet (Fast Bugs - not real title ???)
Focuses on high speed fast-moving bugs. FOC changes to emphasize these units such as Gargoyles as Troops, new abilities and special rules for Ravenors, while Gants get minor enhancements as well. This hivefleet is balanced by prohibiting "traditional" walking Monstrous Creatures. A new flying HQ unit is included.

Genestealer Cult (???)
The first "hybrid supplement" - this book will be a combined book for IG and Tyranids. It allows both codices to ally, but heavily restricts units selections on both. Look for smaller "infiltration bugs" such as Genestealers, Broodlords, Lictors and such from the Tyranid side while the Guard are very heavily restricted on units and heavy equipment. The list's HQ must include a psyker warlord from either the IG or Tyranid units allowed. A new psychic power list is included.

Inquisitor Engel wrote:Not that I'm a reliable source or anything, but I've heard from a couple of people I still know at GW that the Tyranid Codex will be the first with no finecast. At all.

Hydra from Warpshadow also "confirms" a January release (he is quite trustworthy).

Added 5th November:
Spoiler:
Big Red over at BOLS wrote:Tyranids
-Tyranids kick off 2014
-An emphasis on making EVERY unit in the codex viable this time around
-The army rules and theme are focused on adaptability of unit abilities and inter-unit synergy
-Emphasis on model releases will be to get out all the missing models in the previous codex
-Look for a small number of highly specialized new units to shore up 6th edition deficiencies in the army
-A new unseen big bug kit is among these

Tyranid-hunters
-Ultramarine Tyranic War Veteran Supplemental codex is the next supplemental book coming, to tie into the release and to provide worthy foes for the hive-fleets.
-BOTH digital and physical versions out in Q1 2014

Big Red over at BOLS wrote:A tiny rumor with BIG implications:

Unique Tyranid creatures are unique per detachment. For for example 2 Dooms, 2 Swarmlords, etc... at 2k, representing a very rare breed but something that each HiveFleet knows how to create in extremis.

Rumor rating: possible

Larry Vela over at BOLS wrote:Zoanthropes

-Multipart plastic kit makes 3 models.
-Flying bases.
-3 base bodies in the kit, 2 tails are coiled, one is curling slightly forward.
-Back plates and chests are identical for the three. These are wider and slightly taller than the current model. The base tail piece has 2 tiny claws that go on, but are not normal Tyranid ball sockets. The torso has 4 arm sockets. For these models the claw arms are similar to hormagaunt claws, but shorter. Kit contains a dozen arms, most are retracted, four are extended out. All are small atrophied limbs compared to other Tyranids. Two rows of back-vents.
- Multipart heads. There are separate pieces per head to make the mouths have more dimension. One has its tongue out, curling to the side. One closed mouth, one mouth is wide open. The head plate is wider and has a spiked ridge. The brains are exposed, no eyes.
-Tail loses the current model's spiked end.
-Slightly larger than the current model.
-Fundamentally an evolutionary kit from the current Zoanthrope to meet the requirements of injected plastic production.

Big Red over at BOLS wrote:Rumormongering can be very sticky business. Today we take a look at the latest Tyranid rumor doing the rounds and try to decipher what's going on.

First the rumor:

"The Dominar embodies Tyranid Hive Mind completely. Within its shadow, lesser creatures bow in servitude, and larger Tyranids find greater access to the warp. It's armored shell protects it from the most powerful weaponry. Any enemy foolish enough to close with it will find no mercy, as it's claws and teeth rip through flesh and armor plating with ease, and within its massive body lie all manner of symbiotic organisms willing to defend their host.

The Karkanos is a lumbering, living fortress. Upon it's back, smaller Tyranids will gather for protection, waiting for the opportune moment to strike at their foes. Bristling with weapons, it can decimate foes as they close, while it's passengers target other enemies.

This multi-part plastic boxed set contains 84 components with which to build one Tyranid Dominar or one Karkanos. This kit contains all the weapon options available to the either creature including cluster spines, heavy venom cannons, brain leech devourers, and acid spray. This kit contains one Large Oval base. It is supplied unpainted and requires assembly - we recommend using Citadel Plastic Glue and Citadel Paints."

"The Dominar has a 18" synapse range and Shadow in the Warp range, and increases the psyker level of all Tyranid Psykers within 6" by 1 level. Also has It will Not Die, psychic Monstrosity, IC(c) and can take most Tyranid Biomorphs. It's bigger than the Tyrranofex model, wider with a taller stance, huge head with a massive brain under a wide plate, large mouth like the trygons. It has three rows of vents along the back plates, but the back plates come up behind the head like a turtle, offering protection."

" the Karkanos looks like a crab. It has a wide flat body, the back plate is sunk in and has a ridge around the outer edges. It's front set of arms can hold a few weapon options like venom cannons or devourers or can take claws or talons. Transport capacity is identical to the spore, but it cannot carry MCs. It is a dedicated transport option for the walking troops: warriors, Genestealers, hormigaunts, Termagants. Open top. Has special rules to handle being a MC and transport...not a vehicle. It's probably one of the most expensive dedicated transports in the game. Can be taken in heavy section solo."

Lets work up some pros and cons:

PROS:
1) The rumor lines up with recurring previous rumors of both a transport creature and a new "super hivenode HQ" coming in the new codex. In particular the reference to "Karkanos" and a new big-bug combo-kit, from as far back as June.

Full Tyranid Rumor Roundup

2) The language seems similar to the type of marketing and sales-support text we commonly see out of GW.

CONS:
1) The rumor comes from outside the set of "known good sources"

2) The exact language has some odd turns of phrase, which put it's accuracy in doubt. Still though, rumors often come to the community second or third-hand and mistranslations are common.

So you can see that items like these are tough ones to call. We are going to err onthe side of conservatism and rate it "Salty", but we have seen unknown sources come out of the blue and get things right like thin in the past.

What's your call folks? Legitimate leak, or a bunch of malarkey?

a very anonymous source on Faeit 212 wrote:
current GW managerial chart says that's Smaug wasn't good enough for the studio, so GW have had to go back to the drawing board, moving current releases forward so they don't miss the Christmas release window, Nids moving up to Dec, dwarfs in Jan 2014.

They'll still do the collectors releases for the hobbit, scenes from the film and such, just no new hobbit box.

Added 6th November:
Snapdragon over at Warpshadow wrote:Hi all
Back from Warhammer world and got myself last one Hierophant they got.
But I wanted Harridan and they told me to wait 3 months and get new one in plastic!
So I think this possible also counting that Harridan now in 40K books (to be released)
(...)
I was told by FW salesman
And Harridan is not in harpy set - it's like Tesseract vault , standalone kit

http://www.warpshadow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17287

Also:
BigRed over at BOLS wrote:Rippers are getting a small box like the nurglings. 3 bases. Wings included for sky slashers. Different mouth parts for weapon options.

BOLS wrote:Here's the latest word on the impending Hivefleets and their rules boys and girls.
Rumor rating: Probable, coming from known good sources

Look for a return of many biomorphs in a big way, led by available model options.
Several plastic models had access to many biomorphs with modeling options in 4th, and those parts are currently cosmetic.

The feeling is that the biomorph options were curtailed much too strongly in the current book and if there is a modeling option for it in a plastic kit, it will have rules in the next codex. I'm looking at you Carnifex (and others)!

Hmm, as a thought experiment, I'll let you pull out the old 4th Nid codex, and look at the plastic kits out there.

What old biomorph options have plastic bits but are currently missing rules? What rules would you make for them?

[Thumb - nids1.jpg]

This message was edited 24 times. Last update was at 2013/11/08 08:54:41

Hive Fleet Ouroboros (my Tyranid blog): http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/286852.page
The Dusk-Wraiths of Szith Morcane (my Dark Eldar blog): http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/364786.page
Kroothawk's Malifaux Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/455759.page
If you want to understand the concept of the "Greater Good", read this article, and you never again call Tau commies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism

Made in us
Huge Bone Giant

Oakland, CA -- U.S.A.

. . .

Darn it.

It has been a while since I looked at 40k, but no! Kroothawk has to come and goad me.

"It is not the bullet with your name on it that should worry you, it's the one labeled "To whom it may concern. . ."

DQ:70S++G+++MB+I+Pwhfb06+D++A+++/aWD-R++++T(D)DM+

Made in us
Swift Swooping Hawk

Omaha, NE

OOHHH MYYY!!

Any words on a possible Genestealer Cult army???
Tanks with my bugs??

-3500+
-1850+
-2500+
-3500+
--3500+

Made in us
Enginseer with a Wrench

Hiveguard with skyfire is awesome. All kinds of Awesome.

And finally all the units will have models..except maybe Ymgarls technically.

Made in nl
Did Fulgrim Just Behead Ferrus?

The Netherlands

I doubt we'll ever see new official Genestealer Cult models. I'd would love to see a plastic Broodlord.

But I think we can count on some big ridiculous units that don't make sense. Or maybe a Genestealer wearing a Tyranid Warrior suit?

Bits Blitz Designs - 3D printing a dark futuristic universe

Made in nl
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings

North of your position

I see a Supplement or Campaign Book about the Tyranic war coming...

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

 thenoobbomb wrote:
I see a Supplement or Campaign Book about the Tyranic war coming...

Can't see Genestealers being merged into termigants kit, as both have current plastic kits. Also, both Parasite and Doom sound larger than would fit on a plastic-clampack sprue. A Broodlord seems like it would fit better, IMO.
Rest sounds plausible.

Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker

A Dark Place

I thought the rumour was it is going to be IG and/or Orks before Tyranids?

Sept - SM
Oct - some fantasy army
Nov - ?
Dec - Hobbit

If that Nov is 'nids I'm going to be one cold, broke man this Christmas.

Made in de
Rampaging Carnifex

Franconia

What? Did the Hiveguard not sell enough so it needs skyfire?
I wish upon a star that this codex brings back all the biomorphs the prior one made disappaer.

I know when it is closing time. - Rascal Mod

"Some people measure common sense with a ruler others with a potato."- Making Money Terry Pratchett
"what's with all the hate go paint something you lazy bastards" - NAVARRO
"You don't need pants for the victory dance." -BAWTRM

Made in us
Charging Orc Boar Boy

Poor poor orks... I guess its another 6+ month wait for us...

Stikk bommas are special among ork society for one reason - They know when you pull the pin out of a stikk bomb you throw the bomb not the pin!

Made in au
Road-Raging Blood Angel Biker

Australia

Genestealer Cult Supplement???

1850 Blood Angels

Made in pl
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon

Er... Tyranids getting a big oval base kit? Like they didn't have it already...

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka

Nidvember. YEAH!

The only reason I don't believe, or should say not holding up any hope, is it's past the 4 weeks before release. Most "rumours" that come out are 4 weeks before the actual release.

This is what, 3 months away, so I am putting on alot of salt. I am hoping it's true though. Also on The Tyranid Hive, someone mentioned (sorry forgot users name) said he knew someone who also said around a Christmas release and this was before these rumours were mentioned.

Then again, we were promised for over 2 (was it 3) years of Summer of Fliers and Nids getting a new mini and rules for it. Luckily us Nids love salt on our food.

Agies Grimm:The "Learn to play, bro" mentality is mostly just a way for someone to try to shame you by implying that their metaphorical nerd-wiener is bigger than yours. Which, ironically, I think nerds do even more vehemently than jocks.

Everything is made up and the points don't matter. 40K or Who's Line is it Anyway?

Auticus wrote: Or in summation: its ok to exploit shoddy points because those are rules and gamers exist to find rules loopholes (they are still "legal"), but if the same force can be composed without structure, it emotionally feels "wrong".

Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge

Boston, MA

This sounds bogus to me. I can't see them recutting Gaunts and potentially Stealers, they have plenty of oval base bugs already, and I have no idea how they could fit into the release schedule, with Marines in September, supposedly Inquisition in October, a Fantasy release of some sort in November, and Hobbit in December to tie in with the new movie.

Check out my Youtube channel!

Made in gb
Pyromaniac Hellhound Pilot

Bristol!

Aren't pyrovores powerful enough already?

My combined Macragge PDF Imperial Guard and Ultramarine 3rd Co. Blog Clicky

My WAB Hundred Years War English Clicky

AlexHolker wrote:At this stage, I'm starting to think GW's CEO was just getting ready for the Rapture

Made in us
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General

A garden grove on Citadel Station

 Agent_Tremolo wrote:
Er... Tyranids getting a big oval base kit? Like they didn't have it already...
Tyranids are the poster child for having big creatures. I'm totally ok with them adding more and more big bugs, there are a ton of small and medium bugs already and there isn't much room there for innovation.

ph34r's Forgeworld Phobos blog, current WIP: Iron Warriors and Skaven Tau
+From Iron Cometh Strength+ +From Strength Cometh Will+ +From Will Cometh Faith+ +From Faith Cometh Honor+ +From Honor Cometh Iron+
The Polito form is dead, insect. Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence?
When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence.

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

 ph34r wrote:
 Agent_Tremolo wrote:
Er... Tyranids getting a big oval base kit? Like they didn't have it already...
Tyranids are the poster child for having big creatures. I'm totally ok with them adding more and more big bugs, there are a ton of small and medium bugs already and there isn't much room there for innovation.

Tyrannovores really just need better rules to make them more viable, and Fexes need to get some of their biomoprhs back (the ones already in the kit). Make Harpies more viable (equal or superior vector strike to the Heldrake at least) and bump Tervigons out of HQ and make them toops only, and you will see a much better mix of MCs on the table without needing new kits. Nids already have 2 large MC kits, while they have Zoanthropes, Venomthropes, Hive Guard, Tyrant Guard, Biovores, Pyrovores, Lictors, and Broodlords still not in plastic. Plus a bunch of missing options for Warriors.

Made in ca
Infiltrating Broodlord

Oshawa Ontario

 Brother SRM wrote:
This sounds bogus to me. I can't see them recutting Gaunts and potentially Stealers, they have plenty of oval base bugs already, and I have no idea how they could fit into the release schedule, with Marines in September, supposedly Inquisition in October, a Fantasy release of some sort in November, and Hobbit in December to tie in with the new movie.

Agreed...this is just a list of models that don't have models in the current codex, with a big nasty tacked onto the end.

If Hive Guard were to get skyfire, you can bet they will be dropping down to S7 as well.

Looking for Durham Region gamers in Ontario Canada, send me a PM!

See my gallery for Chapterhouse's Tervigon, fully painted.

Made in de
Decrepit Dakkanaut

Davor wrote:
Then again, we were promised for over 2 (was it 3) years of Summer of Fliers and Nids getting a new mini and rules for it. Luckily us Nids love salt on our food.

Summer of Fliers was one year late and called "Death from the Skies" with 2 or 3 out of schedule flyers.
Same guy predicted a Harpy and a Finecast Doom (plus Finecast boneswords). So we will see.

And another oval base kit sounds inevitable, only way to sell 2 plastic sprues for 100$. As inevitable as a SM unit between Terminators and Dreadnoughts.

BTW several sources put Orks in Q2, making IG a Q1 release.

Hive Fleet Ouroboros (my Tyranid blog): http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/286852.page
The Dusk-Wraiths of Szith Morcane (my Dark Eldar blog): http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/364786.page
Kroothawk's Malifaux Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/455759.page
If you want to understand the concept of the "Greater Good", read this article, and you never again call Tau commies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism

Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut

Hastings did say Tyranids would be the next 40k release after Space Marines, if Inquisitor is released in the same month as Dark Elves it will probably confirm a month early that we are getting Tyranids in November.

The rumour sounds mostly plausible. Really, making all of the current options viable and straight out moving Tervigons to Troops would fix a lot of issues. They need to free up the Elites slot in some way; with no Ymgarl models, methinks regular Genestealers will have an upgrade option to Ymgarls. Lictors could become Fast Attack, perhaps. Hive Guard are already too darn good not to take, aside from Zoanthropes and Ymgarls, so them having Skyfire as well just sounds a bit too ridiculous unless they get a decent price boost. I expect Carnifexes will drop significantly in price, probably by about forty odd points, and get a lot of their old biomorph options back; giving them an extra wound and maybe It Will Not Die standard would solve some issues they have. I'm thinking the new 'large model' will be the Dominatrix if earlier rumours are to be believed. Perhaps we might see a new special base (ala the Soul Grinder) for a new big monster, if indeed they want to make one that is larger than the Tyrannofex/Tervigon and Trygon/Mawloc. I do think Tyranids should have the largest monstrous creatures (they already have the largest gargantuan creatures) but I'm not fussed if we don't get one.

Made in au
Norn Queen

I'd appreciate a reason to bring my Hive Guard back unironically. While that's not where I wanted Skyfire, it'll get me enjoying the use of my Hive Guard again.

I'm sort of surprised there's another big oval kit - I know Tyranids are where MC's live, but we have 4 already, and 2 on 60mm bases, plus characters on 60mm bases. The army isn't hurting for MC options.

The Harpy finally getting a release pleases me - I hope it gets a significant rules overhault, otherwise there's still little reason to take one.

Made in us
Tunneling Trygon

I'd love to see Hive Guard be good again, as they're meh now, and I already own them! I'm hoping its just a nice balanced book, not too OP, with no unneeded nerfs to every unit that used to be good. I imagine (based on Daemons) that Flyrants will still be great, they'll just probably have different gear. Tervigons and the Doom will probably be "meh" and Ymgarls will turn into something COMPLETELY different. And for the love of God, I WANT TO USE HORMAGAUNTS!

Made in us
Dakka Veteran

Brother SRM wrote:This sounds bogus to me. I can't see them recutting Gaunts and potentially Stealers, they have plenty of oval base bugs already, and I have no idea how they could fit into the release schedule, with Marines in September, supposedly Inquisition in October, a Fantasy release of some sort in November, and Hobbit in December to tie in with the new movie.

For one, a lot of the elements of Fantasy and 40k have been given to separate teams now, and The Hobbit is no longer going to disrupt the two core games either. The Hobbit will likely not have a month to themselves.

Tyranids were originally on the release docket some months ago, and some numbnuts on a forum said "Orktober!" once and it somehow stuck. There were no solid rumors on it though. Then again, there haven't been many for Tyranids either, and most of this looks to be wish-listing. Tyranids, Orks, and Sisters need a whole lot of work and a whole lot of models, so I expect them to be a little later than some anticipate. GW has made a habit of ensuring that no unit entry in any 6th edition codex is without model representation (thanks to ChapterHouse), though some special characters may be excepted; so consider what that means for Orks and Tyranids especially. Their releases will have to be slightly larger than what we're used to just to put all entries into model form, and each army will surely get new things too. For Tyranids, that would mean:

Tyranid Prime
Harpy
Shrikes/Warriors (with all options included in the kit - some people are forgetting that GW doesn't just leave bits out anymore)
Doom of Malan'tai
Parasite of Mortex

To follow suit with the other 6th edition releases, at least 1 kit will probably move from metal/finecast to plastic. There will likely be 2-3 clampacks, and maybe one large kit (though the Tervigon probably excuses that).

Most notably, there will also be a new unit or two, as every army gets something completely new.

That's a hefty release, so it's possible both Tyranids and Orks will be next year. That would be the reason - as minis moving from completed sculpt to packaging takes 12 months - not because they have to have a Fantasy or Hobbit release during that time.

As for what I'd expect or want to see...

-Fewer useless units. Lictors, Pyrovores, Old One Eye, Hormagaunts, Biovores, Raveners, Harpy...
-Less reliance on one anchor to function. People pop a Tervigon and the entire army starts falling apart.
-More clearly defined roles that separate the monsters instead of giving us more of the same in every FO slot. 6th has moved largely away from spam, and rewards diverse list-building. List-building is challenging now, and I hope the Tyranids continue that. Consider that no kit made in recent years has simply been completely devoid of weapons options available to a unit, but the plastic Hive Tyrant doesn't come with twin-linked Brainleech Worms. I am okay with this, as I want a kick-ass commander, not a flying machine gun. Save that for one of the Harpy variants.
-The Carnifex and Tyrannofex shouldn't both be gunboats. Bring back a VIABLE Carnifex that's supposed to be a battering ram, and let the Tyrannofex perform as the main battle tank. If the latter is to be a battle tank, either reduce it's points cost, give it shooting options that actually work well together (ie: similar range), or make it BS4.
-That said, don't give the Tyranids too many ranged weapons. That's not their style. If they are going to be CC/swarm/monster focused in a shooting edition of the game, give them a way to do it effectively without breaking them.
-Don't give the Tyranids allies, and don't make the Hive Mind some splinter of a C'Tan shard, or a product of the Old Ones. This is one aspect of their fluff I hope never changes. They have no ability to grasp diplomacy; no ability to communicate with others; they are completely alien and from outside the galaxy. They are the "unplanned" terror that lives only to consume and grow.
-I fully expect Shadow in the Warp to change. It will seem like a nerf to most, but like Runes of Warding, the army gets plenty in return to compensate. The psychic powers aren't breaking the game, but are definitely becoming too integral to allow an entire army to just make it impossible at a certain distance to cast spells or activate force weapons. People need to stop comparing stuff to 5th edition anyway, as we are no longer there. More books will be products of 6th soon, so those are the rules we need to compare this stuff to.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/08/13 01:25:54

My favorite new podcast: https://firstturngaming.podbean.com/

Current Projects: (Oct 24, 2021) Completed Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh, now working on Be'Lakor

CHECK OUT THE GALLERY AND SERVICE OPTIONS!!!

Made in au
Infiltrating Broodlord

Brisbane

 brassangel wrote:
[...]

Forgeworld sells Shrikes and the only options missing from the Warrior kit are in the bitz section.

You also for the Mycetic Spore

Made in us
Terminator with Assault Cannon

Florida

This seems way out of left field. Doesn't fit Harry or Hastings predictions. And genestealers in gant box? what?

SickSix's Silver Skull WIP thread
My Youtube Channel
JSF wrote:... this is really quite an audacious move by GW, throwing out any pretext that this is a game and that its customers exist to do anything other than buy their overpriced products for the sake of it. The naked arrogance, greed and contempt for their audience is shocking.
= Epic First Post.

Made in au
Norn Queen

 brassangel wrote:
-Fewer useless units. Lictors, Pyrovores, Old One Eye, Hormagaunts, Biovores, Raveners, Harpy...
-Less reliance on one anchor to function. People pop a Tervigon and the entire army starts falling apart.

Agreed. This is the first thing I'd expect them to address.

 brassangel wrote:
-More clearly defined roles that separate the monsters instead of giving us more of the same in every FO slot. 6th has moved largely away from spam, and rewards diverse list-building. List-building is challenging now, and I hope the Tyranids continue that. Consider that no kit made in recent years has simply been completely devoid of weapons options available to a unit, but the plastic Hive Tyrant doesn't come with twin-linked Brainleech Worms. I am okay with this, as I want a kick-ass commander, not a flying machine gun. Save that for one of the Harpy variants.

A kick ass commander doesn't have to kick ass in assault only to qualify. A flyrant with ranged weapons is pretty kick ass, just in a different way. Though I'd love to see some options to make Tyrants a bit less fragile in assault.

 brassangel wrote:
-The Carnifex and Tyrannofex shouldn't both be gunboats. Bring back a VIABLE Carnifex that's supposed to be a battering ram, and let the Tyrannofex perform as the main battle tank. If the latter is to be a battle tank, either reduce it's points cost, give it shooting options that actually work well together (ie: similar range), or make it BS4.

So you'd say Dreadnoughts should lose all ranged weapons because a Predator is the Marines battletank?

Carnifexes are the Tyranids Dreadnought, Tyrannofexes are the Tyranids ranged battle tank. Carnifexes should keep all of their ranged options simply because it's part of their role now, since they expanded it in 3rd edition. That said, completely agree with making meleefexes viable again. Armoured Shell upgrades, better Crushing Claws and a significant points drop should do it.

 brassangel wrote:
-That said, don't give the Tyranids too many ranged weapons. That's not their style. If they are going to be CC/swarm/monster focused in a shooting edition of the game, give them a way to do it effectively without breaking them.

If you go back through the codices, Tyranids style as always been about short ranged warfare, not close combat. They've always had bucketloads of short ranged guns, with a few medium and long ranged to back them up, and some melee monster units to finish off units weakened with shooting.

Players decided they wanted Tyranids to be all about the meleemonsters, GW have always designed them to be far more diverse. And GW have the right of it - reducing the ranged ability and emphasising the melee ability just reduces the possible strategy with the army.

 brassangel wrote:
-Don't give the Tyranids allies, and don't make the Hive Mind some splinter of a C'Tan shard, or a product of the Old Ones. This is one aspect of their fluff I hope never changes. They have no ability to grasp diplomacy; no ability to communicate with others; they are completely alien and from outside the galaxy. They are the "unplanned" terror that lives only to consume and grow.

Again, agreed completely. Short of a Genestealer Cult supplement, Tyranids should remain ally free.

 brassangel wrote:
-I fully expect Shadow in the Warp to change. It will seem like a nerf to most, but like Runes of Warding, the army gets plenty in return to compensate. The psychic powers aren't breaking the game, but are definitely becoming too integral to allow an entire army to just make it impossible at a certain distance to cast spells or activate force weapons. People need to stop comparing stuff to 5th edition anyway, as we are no longer there. More books will be products of 6th soon, so those are the rules we need to compare this stuff to.

Shadows of the Warp is already pretty terrible. If your synapse creatures are close enough for SitW to work, you've either already won or already lost. I'd welcome a change.

Made in us
Steadfast Grey Hunter

Sanford, FL

And finally GW decides to produce the mycetic spore.

2000
#spacewolves

 spacewolf407 wrote:
And finally GW decides to produce the mycetic spore.

Or they don't, since this rumor smells an awful lot like bologna. I'm sure they will when there's an actual Tyranid codex, but these rumors don't seem so savory.

 Brother SRM wrote:
 spacewolf407 wrote:
And finally GW decides to produce the mycetic spore.

Or they don't, since this rumor smells an awful lot like bologna. I'm sure they will when there's an actual Tyranid codex, but these rumors don't seem so savory.

Why do you think this is bologna? Purely speculating what 40k codex do you think we will see if not nids?

rothrich wrote:
 Brother SRM wrote:
 spacewolf407 wrote:
And finally GW decides to produce the mycetic spore.

Or they don't, since this rumor smells an awful lot like bologna. I'm sure they will when there's an actual Tyranid codex, but these rumors don't seem so savory.

Why do you think this is bologna? Purely speculating what 40k codex do you think we will see if not nids?

His argument is there is no room for another 40k codex this year, and he's correct. September is Space Marines, October is this super secret big box game that's either Blood Bowl or 28mm Inquisitor, and November is then a Fantasy month. Historically GW don't release anything in December other than Lord of the Rings/Hobbit games to coincide with the movie releases.

So Tyranids being out next for 40k and also this year means either there's no big box game so the Fanasy release moves to October, and Tyranids in November (possible... GW haven't released enough for a cycle to set a precedent), no Fantasy month (unlikely, GW alternate 40k/Fantasy book releases) or Tyranids in December (unlikely, GW don't release new 40k or Fantasy books in December because apparently a new army at Christmas time is a terrible way to make money?).

Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: