DakkaDakka - Warhammer 40000, Flames of War, Warmachine and Warhammer Forums
ForumGalleryArticlesVideoPodcastsHobby BlogsStore FinderPlayer FinderArmy PainterJoin Us!
Switch Theme:

If the Tyranids really are running away from something....  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
Made in us
Sneaky Kommando

I like the idea of something Chaos or Warp-driven chasing them. Someone said earlier that it's possible for another galaxy to have advanced races with emotions spawning a seperate Chaos pantheon. Perhaps the Shadow in the Warp was something the Tyranids evolved to combat this.

While it seems logical that something mechanical would be chasing them, I don't think that would be it. True enough, mechanical beings have no biomass to harvest, but when Tyranids consume a planet, they leave all inorganic life behind, such as metal which could be used to strenghten a mechanical being's forces. I don't think the Hive Mind would make that mistake.

Then again, I don't think they're really running from anything. They're just hungry.

I'll show ye..... - Phillip J. Fry

Those are brave men knocking on our door! Let's go kill them! - Tyrion Lannister

Advert

Login or Register to make this and other promotional elements disappear from your dakka browsing.
Made in ca
Perturbed Blood Angel Tactical Marine

The Borg. A race of incomprehensible alien creatures controlled by an overmind of sorts, with the sole desire to consume all living beings in the universe. Or The Flood, from Halo.

Or the Zerg.

Although I did like the missing Primarch theory.

Made in ie
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine

They could be fleeing from a galaxy that has already fallen to Chaos completely in an attempt to avoid mutation.

Vampirate of Sartosa wrote:Durza that is brilliant and I love you. Platonically.

1hadhq wrote:Once Durza was a wargamer like us, now corrupted by ponies..

Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. You can play the best chess in the world, but at the end of the day the pigeon will still knock all the pieces off the board and then gak all over it.

Made in au
Scuttling Genestealer

Ratius wrote:I assume when people say running from the two Primarchs, that includes their full Legions behind them at Pre Heresy strenght right?

Otherwise.....

Wrong. 'The First Heretic', as well as a few of the other HH novels, state quite clearly that the 2nd and 11th legions were added to the Ultramarines, and that is why they were the largest of the legions.

If they WERE fleeing (which is contrary to the canon set forth in the rule book and codex's) , it'd probably be from a second Hive Mind. What's possibly worse than an endless fleet of Tyranids controlled by a gestalt Cthulhu-esq intelligence? An even larger endless fleet of Tyranids.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/03/27 02:37:30

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

Made in gb
Lieutenant Colonel

Okay here is my idea's.

1. A Tyranid Civil War, much like Bee's Swarm and attack each other when 2 Queens are around. Maybe there are several Hive Minds, each powerful but in competition for food and space. It would explain how they have come from different directions into Imperial Space. Maybe they are seeking each other to eradicate each other. They have overspilled from their Galaxy in a vicious biological war of survival and that's why you have different hive Fleets.

2. Leman Russ has turned into a great huge Wolf - Sheep dog and has been kick arse in another galaxy and has forced them inadvertently into the Milky way. Kind of in a Sheep -dog " Look what I found master " way.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2012/03/27 14:59:57

Collecting Forge World 30k????? If you prefix any Thread Subject line on 30k or Pre-heresy or Horus Heresy with [30K] we can convince LEGO and the Admin team to create a 30K mini board if we can show there is enough interest!

Made in gb
Dominating Dominatrix

Belfast,Capitol of Northern Ireland. About 10 minutes away from the ONLY GW STORE IN THE COUNTRY!

And that would also explain the different colours.

DR:90+S++G+++MB+IPw40k08#+D+A++/Fwd363R+++T(P)DM+

Credit to Castiel for banner. Thanks Cas!

Made in gb
Brutal Butcher

Somewhere In Time And Space

Deadshot wrote:And that would also explain the different colours.

I usually put the colours down as genetic differentiation of the hive mind, each one representing a more powerful varient of the last.

NB: All images in the banner are click-through links [ Vik Von Domm: well... there is nice... not nice... and then there is Childe. ]

Made in gb
Loyal Necron Lychguard

AnUnearthlyChilde wrote:
Deadshot wrote:And that would also explain the different colours.

I usually put the colours down as genetic differentiation of the hive mind, each one representing a more powerful varient of the last.
And i thought someone went rampage with a can of spraypaint (sarcasm lol)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/03/27 19:14:52

 Pilau Rice wrote:
I meant in the typical Chaos ritual, you know blood, virgins .. Justin Bieber Albums. I can imagine after many years of frustration and constant burnt food, Jerold the Chef calls his cooker one to many bad names and it subsequently removes itself from the wall and fries him.

Experience is something you get just after you need it
The Narkos Dynasty: 5k

Made in us
Nurgle Predator Driver with an Infestation

NOOOOO THE SQUAT ARE COMING RUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!
Actually I have no idea. Mabye the chaos gods themselves...

TOO MUCH CHAOS!!!

Made in gb
Perturbed Blood Angel Tactical Marine

England, Sheffield

Ive always liked the idea that they are being chased. I think that the way Behemoth juggernauted into the Qalaxy could show that they were in mad panic just trying to get away from what was behind them, until it ran itself dry. In my opinion Behemoth was like a wounded gazelle (although not as dainty) it can run all it wants, until it runs out of blood.

Made in gb
Painlord Titan Princeps of Slaanesh

Desperado Corp.

The Tyranid inquisition? Maybe the Tyranid economy collapsed and the only way o revive it is through Biomass.

3K 2K 1600 (Minotaurs), 500
A bit...
Pretre: OOOOHHHHH snap. That's like driving away from hitting a pedestrian.
Pacific:First person to Photoshop a GW store into the streets of Kabul wins the thread.
Selym: "Be true to thyself, play Chaos" - Jesus, Daemon Prince of Cegorach.
H.B.M.C: You can't lobotomise someone twice.
Rule #1 of 40K: Forge a narrative. Always. #Spiritualliege

Made in gb
Dominating Dominatrix

Belfast,Capitol of Northern Ireland. About 10 minutes away from the ONLY GW STORE IN THE COUNTRY!

Going off the current economic climate, that could be viable. Guess we can say good bye to organic deficit and planetary property values, whatever that means.

DR:90+S++G+++MB+IPw40k08#+D+A++/Fwd363R+++T(P)DM+

Credit to Castiel for banner. Thanks Cas!

Made in gb
Lieutenant Colonel

Tyranids have discovered the concept of Lebensraum.

Collecting Forge World 30k????? If you prefix any Thread Subject line on 30k or Pre-heresy or Horus Heresy with [30K] we can convince LEGO and the Admin team to create a 30K mini board if we can show there is enough interest!

Made in us
Changing Our Legion's Name

California

BlaxicanX wrote:They're running from Vulkan and Leman Russ, obviously, who are giving chase slowly but surely in their fisher-price rubber duck ship. It fits the fluff perfectly.

hahahahah Firmly Agree.

Skur Wulfenborn Company Of Vlka Fenryka

Made in au
On a Canoptek Spyder's Waiting List

If the Tyranids really are running away form something I would say it would be something like one of these things:
>As genestealers run away from hive fleets perhaps the hive fleets run away from other bigger, nastier and more numerous forms of Tyranid life, and they are just a sign of a larger invasion to come.
>As many people have said before me something robotic or daemonic.
>Some sort of highly advanced civilization with the technology to destroy the Tyranids.
>Life forms similar to Tyranids that beat them and now pursues them.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2012/04/05 21:53:23

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE
MILK FOR THE CORNFLAKES
Even though I play necrons

Made in gb
Twisted Trueborn with Blaster

Somewhere in the Webway

Maybe its the Outsider they are running from. He was trapped inside a star outside the Milky Way by the Necrontyr, so maybe he has escaped and is coming back to wage gloom doom and madness on the natives and 'nids alike...

Automatically Appended Next Post:
I think Warpfire has a point. It might also be a larger hivefleet who sent the 'nids we know only to scout and soften us up abit...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2012/04/05 11:56:50

DA:00S++GM++B++I+Pw40k09+D+A+/eWD139R+T(F)DM+

Made in au
On a Canoptek Spyder's Waiting List

I came up with some new ideas and would like to apologize for ideas that I missed (There will always be some I missed) so here are the new ideas:
>the Tyranids natural predator
>something that they can't fight or eat
>something that is simply too powerful for the Tyranids to defeat
I will post more ideas as I come up with them, and some of my ideas people will have already stated, if this happens take this apology and please don't rage on it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/04/05 21:51:56

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE
MILK FOR THE CORNFLAKES
Even though I play necrons

Made in ie
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan

Dublin, Ireland

Haha this still going?

I'll echo Loki (once more!), maybe there is nothing left out there but Nids and they are slow to get to the Milky Way due to distance and being bored with our petty squabblings.

Ok, bring on the flames

By Trondheim: This kit deserves a special place in whatever bleak and tormentfilled afterlife that awaits such kits

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough".

Made in us
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman

Planet Arisa

The Tyranids are running from Theodore Roosevelt, who left earth to hunt anything he hasn't killed yet.

Apparently the Imperium is ill-equipped for a siege. Therefore I have proposed the development of siege guns, siege tanks, siege rockets, siege armor, siege planes, siege ships, siege wagons, siege bikes, siege boots, siege dogs, siege cats(for the siege rodents), siege eating utensils, siege horses, siege rations, and siege babies. Oh, and siege-spouses, especially of the female variant.

Made in gb
Painlord Titan Princeps of Slaanesh

Desperado Corp.

Saxton Hale.

3K 2K 1600 (Minotaurs), 500
A bit...
Pretre: OOOOHHHHH snap. That's like driving away from hitting a pedestrian.
Pacific:First person to Photoshop a GW store into the streets of Kabul wins the thread.
Selym: "Be true to thyself, play Chaos" - Jesus, Daemon Prince of Cegorach.
H.B.M.C: You can't lobotomise someone twice.
Rule #1 of 40K: Forge a narrative. Always. #Spiritualliege

Made in us
Potent Possessed Daemonvessel

The Hive Mind's wife is on the rag.

Fluff for the Fluff God!

Made in us
Slippery Scout Biker

Nocturne

Maybe they are at war with even bigger hive fleets?

Nocturne's Sons: w/d/l 4/3/6

Thunder Lords 6/2/1

Made in gb
Dominating Dominatrix

Belfast,Capitol of Northern Ireland. About 10 minutes away from the ONLY GW STORE IN THE COUNTRY!

Maybe, being bugs, they are being hunted by Spiders or Birds?

DR:90+S++G+++MB+IPw40k08#+D+A++/Fwd363R+++T(P)DM+

Credit to Castiel for banner. Thanks Cas!

Made in us
Da Red Gobo

USA

Surtur wrote:
Melissia wrote:They aren't blanks.
They aren't blanks in name, but they wind up being similar in function.
Not even remotely close.

Even the weakest blank is capable of entirely shutting down the Hive Mind's connection with creatures in the Blank's vicinity.

Tyranids are not even close to being Blanks. Psychic power is almost as strongly integrated in to the Tyranid race as it is with the Eldar race, ti's just used differently.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2012/04/15 17:20:28

This month's WTF moment:
Court says it's okay to bar high-intelligence people from becoming police officers.

My blog
Just appearing as a woman online, it seems, can be enough to inspire abuse. In 2006, researchers from the University of Maryland set up a bunch of fake online accounts and then dispatched them into chat rooms. Accounts with feminine usernames incurred an average of 100 sexually explicit or threatening messages a day. Masculine names received 3.7.
-- Amanda Hess

Made in gb
Dominating Dominatrix

Belfast,Capitol of Northern Ireland. About 10 minutes away from the ONLY GW STORE IN THE COUNTRY!

And not drawn from the Warp.

DR:90+S++G+++MB+IPw40k08#+D+A++/Fwd363R+++T(P)DM+

Credit to Castiel for banner. Thanks Cas!

Made in us
Da Red Gobo

USA

Deadshot wrote:And not drawn from the Warp.
Yes it is..

The Hive Mind is a warp entity.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/04/15 18:58:10

This month's WTF moment:
Court says it's okay to bar high-intelligence people from becoming police officers.

My blog
Just appearing as a woman online, it seems, can be enough to inspire abuse. In 2006, researchers from the University of Maryland set up a bunch of fake online accounts and then dispatched them into chat rooms. Accounts with feminine usernames incurred an average of 100 sexually explicit or threatening messages a day. Masculine names received 3.7.
-- Amanda Hess

Made in gb
Dominating Dominatrix

Belfast,Capitol of Northern Ireland. About 10 minutes away from the ONLY GW STORE IN THE COUNTRY!

The synapse creatures themselves do not dra it from the Warp. They draw from the Hive Mind. The Hive Mind may draw it from the Warp or it may just be powerful enough to do so anyway.

I really do not buy the whole thing with the Hive Mind being a Warp Entity. Other warp entities, like Chaos Daemons, are made from the Warp itself. And the Hive Mind's Shadow in the Warp disrupt's Warpspace/energy. So wouldn't that disrupt the Hive Mind itself.

Melissia wrote:
Deadshot wrote:And not drawn from the Warp.
Yes it is..

The Hive Mind is a warp entity.

Erm no it isnt... The hive mind creates a shadow in the warp, if it was a warp entity, it'd be disrupting itself. so therefore would be pointless...

Also, the 5th ed codex describes the hive mind as a "Gestalt Conciousness" which contains the collective mind of the Tyranid race. It isn't separate from the race, cannot be defined to a single being either.

NB: All images in the banner are click-through links [ Vik Von Domm: well... there is nice... not nice... and then there is Childe. ]

Made in us
Dakka Veteran

Eye of Terra.

I think they are simply running away from starvation.

Made in us
Guarding Guardian

Illinois

AethyrKnight wrote:
Ratius wrote:I assume when people say running from the two Primarchs, that includes their full Legions behind them at Pre Heresy strenght right?

Otherwise.....

Wrong. 'The First Heretic', as well as a few of the other HH novels, state quite clearly that the 2nd and 11th legions were added to the Ultramarines, and that is why they were the largest of the legions.

If they WERE fleeing (which is contrary to the canon set forth in the rule book and codex's) , it'd probably be from a second Hive Mind. What's possibly worse than an endless fleet of Tyranids controlled by a gestalt Cthulhu-esq intelligence? An even larger endless fleet of Tyranids.

This is not true. I dont have the book on me but I specificly remember Lorgar telling them to stop spouting that nonsense as it was just a rumor.

Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to:

Dakka 5.42 - Privacy Policy - Legal Stuff - Forum Rules