DakkaDakka - Warhammer 40000, Flames of War, Warmachine and Warhammer Forums
ForumGalleryArticlesVideoPodcastsHobby BlogsStore FinderPlayer FinderArmy PainterJoin Us!
Switch Theme:

6E - power weapon clarification - can we take all sorts?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
Made in fi
Junior Officer with Laspistol







So, the Codex errata documents say to replace all mentions of "power sword" with "power weapon". And the Rulebook entry on power weapons (pg. 61) says to figure out the profile of a power weapon based on its appearance. So, does this mean I could give, say, an Assault Marine sergeant or Wych Hekatrix a power axe, thus being able to punch through terminator armor at AP2, albeit on Initiative 1?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/06/30 20:41:45


The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.  
   
Advert


Login or Register to make this and other promotional elements disappear from your dakka browsing.
Made in ca
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential






Victoria, B.C. Canada

If he's modelled with an axe then yes.



Change and change until Change is our master, for nothing neither God nor mortal can hold that which has no form. Change is the constant that cannot be changed.

No game of chess can be won without pawns, and this may prove to be a very long game.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnIFn-iROE 
   
Made in us
Flashy Flashgitz




Commoragh (closer to the bottom)

Wow so a wych hexatrix can be much better

The Black Pearl Kabal
Archon Jack Sparrow
Meaniset Greeniest

I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
<small>Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.</small>

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
 
   
Made in fi
Junior Officer with Laspistol







Well then. That's certainly a boon. Depending on how popular Terminators or other Two-plussers will become, having a Hekatrix run around with a S4 AP2 power-axe might not be a bad idea. The various kinds of basic power weapon appear to be balanced against each other, none of them is clearly more powerful than the others, and each has a particular niche, especially for armies that lack access to powerfists.
'
As an aside, it appears that having defensive grenades gives you a cover save against Overwatch fire as long as your charge distance is 8" or less. Considering the joke that is a wych armor save, they might well benefit from the 10 point upgrade (especially if Raider-mounted since they can't raise durability by inflating the squad size beyond 10 in that case).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2012/06/30 20:52:33


The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.  
   
Made in ie
Frightening Flamer of Tzeentch





Nitros14 wrote:If he's modelled with an axe then yes.


Technically yes, but a DE Axe looks deceptively like a human sword.
The difference is in the swinging of it. :p

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/06/30 22:35:32


DR:80+S++G+MB--IPw40k00#-D++++A+++/aWD100R+T(D)DM++++

Church: So it is a sword, It just happens to function like a key in very specific situations.
Caboose: Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death.  
   
Made in us
Screaming Shining Spear






If it stands, Banshees just became the ultimate glass hammer of 6th. their codex entry does say power weapon, so power axe + banshee mask is going to be nasty that first round and it sounds like assaulting from a WS is now viable. I could see a couple of power swords in use against non DW armies though. I have a hard time seeing GW letting them keep it though.

 
   
Made in us
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets






Whatever the model has, its profile changes.

Apparently, a white knight for the Friendly Local Game Store, RTFM, and good ole common sense
Dark Angels: Deathwing, Ravenwing, 6th and 9th companies 63-59-4
Tyranids: Swarmlord of Hive Fleet Phoenicis Prime 25-34-0
Word Bearers: the unholy host of the Apocalypse 11-18-0
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense" Han Solo
"Exigo a me non ut optimis par sim, sed ut malis melior." Lucius Annaeus Seneca
7 successful trades  
   
Made in us
Rough Rider with Boomstick




Fond du Lac, Wi

wolf13 wrote:If it stands, Banshees just became the ultimate glass hammer of 6th. their codex entry does say power weapon, so power axe + banshee mask is going to be nasty that first round and it sounds like assaulting from a WS is now viable. I could see a couple of power swords in use against non DW armies though. I have a hard time seeing GW letting them keep it though.
The problem with that statement is if you use said power axe, the unwieldy rule will override the banshee mask. Just like if the banshee had a power fist. You may strike at I10 from the mask, but because your attacks are made with an unwieldy weapon you instead strike at I1.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
-Einstein 
   
Made in us
Infiltrating Broodlord




Fayetteville

He's making the assumption that the banshee masks will trump the unweildy I1 because that's how it was ruled for whip coils and lash whips. I'm not sure that's a safe assumption anymore. New edition, whole new ball game.

6500 5600 2500 2350 2000
 
   
Made in us
Rough Rider with Boomstick




Fond du Lac, Wi

The problem though, you have a piece of wargear that says strike at I10 and a piece of wargear that says that it strikes at I1. If he chooses to strike with the pistol (page 51 tells us we can chose which weapon to attack with) he strikes at I10, however choosing the axe would be I1. The reason I came to that conclusion is this, at Initiative step 10 the model may attack with a close combat weapon. However the unwieldy rule prevents striking at initiative step 10, telling us it makes attacks at step 1 instead unless the unit is a monstrous creature or walker. Since the banshee is neither, the unwieldy rule (if you chose to strike with that weapon) makes it step one.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
-Einstein 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




Nope, both pieces of wargear act together, meaning you roll off to see which one takes precedence that round.
   
Made in gb
Death-Dealing Ultramarine Devastator






Arschbombe wrote:He's making the assumption that the banshee masks will trump the unweildy I1 because that's how it was ruled for whip coils and lash whips. I'm not sure that's a safe assumption anymore. New edition, whole new ball game.


Whip coils now over rule any modifiers, so being in base contact with a wriath you will always strike at I1.

DarknessEternal wrote:Christianity; Jesus may have had some ideas, but Paul made it popular.
Omegus wrote:It's hard to fight a guy when your nipples are daemons.
8500 1500 2000 
   
Made in au
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






nosferatu1001 wrote:Nope, both pieces of wargear act together, meaning you roll off to see which one takes precedence that round.


I disagree, the unwieldy USR doesn't change the models Initiative, it simply causes their attacks to be resolved at initiative step 1, regardless of what their actual initiative is.

"A model attacking with this weapon does so at initiative step 1"

The wording is such that it will override any and all modifications of a models initiative.

Interceptor Drones can disembark at any point during the Sun Shark's move (even though models cannot normally disembark from Zooming Flyers).


-Jeremy Vetock, only man at Games Workshop who understands Zooming Flyers 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Yep your right, banshee mask makes them initiative 10 not striking at initiative 10

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/07/01 12:16:42


People who stopped buying GW but wont stop bitching about it are the vegans of warhammer

My painting/converting blog:http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/585859.page 
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy





All over

It's like useing a power fist

   
Made in us
[DCM]
Herald of Nurgle






Eternal Plague

So what the heck happens with a burna boy power weapon when they decide to activate them, especially since all it is is a highly concentrated sheet of flame?

   
Made in us
[DCM]
'Ermany!






'Merica

Arschbombe wrote:He's making the assumption that the banshee masks will trump the unweildy I1 because that's how it was ruled for whip coils and lash whips. I'm not sure that's a safe assumption anymore. New edition, whole new ball game.


Since this is Fantasy Hammer just treat them like High Elves. They have a rule that says "always strikes first" that cancels weapons with "always strikes last". Surely we can take Fantasy rulings and apply them to 40K now

Need to strip some paint of your models? Try this!

My Flames of War Table Project 
   
Made in gb
Frightening Flamer of Tzeentch





UK

So imperial guard sergeants can take power axes as long as the are represented on the model?

Thousand Sons CSM and Tzeentch Daemons : 2000pts
Imperial Guard Mixed Regiment: 2500pts
Deathwing/Ravenwing 2000pts (WIP)
Space Wolves: 1000pts (WIP)
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
'Ermany!






'Merica

FifteenHours wrote:So imperial guard sergeants can take power axes as long as the are represented on the model?


I don't have the IG codex, but it pretty much depends on the wording of the upgrade.

If the entry says "may take power sword for x points" then they have to take a power sword (or whatever else is actually stated).

If the entry says "may take power weapon for x points" then it seems that you can take whatever you want.

Need to strip some paint of your models? Try this!

My Flames of War Table Project 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Herald of Nurgle






Eternal Plague

Didn't it say somewhere that a codex replaces all instances of "power whatever specific one it is" for simply "power weapon" and let the owner model it to be whatever it wants?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/07/01 13:28:18


   
Made in au
Frenzied Juggernaut





Australia

Dont see why not. They may be shot by any nearby commissar though, axes are definately a bit heretical looking compared to the standard issue power sword.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/07/01 13:28:29


Dark Eldar- 1500pts Completed
Grey Knights- 1500pts 1 Guy done
Chaos Daemons- Approx 5000pts
Slaanesh Daemons- 1500pts, in progress
Khorne Daemons- 1500pts, in progress
Death Korps of Krieg- Plans being formulated.
---------------------------------------------------
High Elves- Approx 2000pts
Vampire Counts- Raising the dead once more 
   
Made in us
Colonel






Florence, KY

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/303543.page

Seems GW even made Commissar models with power axes.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in us
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller





nosferatu1001 wrote:Nope, both pieces of wargear act together, meaning you roll off to see which one takes precedence that round.


This is correct, It's on page 2 of the BGB.

Inquisitor Jex wrote:
Yeah, telling people how this and that is 'garbage' and they should just throw their minis into the trash as they're not as efficient as XYZ.

 Peregrine wrote:
So the solution is to lie and pretend that certain options are effective so people will feel better?
 
   
Made in au
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Coyote81 wrote:
nosferatu1001 wrote:Nope, both pieces of wargear act together, meaning you roll off to see which one takes precedence that round.


This is correct, It's on page 2 of the BGB.


Except, as I said before, Unwieldy isn't an initiative modifier, and thus, that part of the rules has no bearing on it.

Interceptor Drones can disembark at any point during the Sun Shark's move (even though models cannot normally disembark from Zooming Flyers).


-Jeremy Vetock, only man at Games Workshop who understands Zooming Flyers 
   
Made in us
Deadly Dire Avenger




Washington, DC area

Man, this opens up a whole can of worms re: modeling for advantage.

But hey, if you want to give every single death company guy you have an axe, you might as well be rewarded for the effort.

http://beltway-gamers.com For those in the DC/MD area who are looking for a solid gaming club.

DS:80S+G+M--B+I+Pw40k97+ID++A+/e/mR+++T(S)DM+

>6500
6th Ed Eldar - 4/2/5

"The warhost on the hill was one of the most bizzare sights I had ever seen on a battlefield... Xenos, daemons and humans collected together in units together, gripping dice and paintbrushes; Orks, humans and creatures for which I had no name, clad in ancient armour and clothing; steam-powered walkers with antique-armoured assistants; and many bizarre war-machines, many of which had no purpose that I understood.
An Eldar, bizarrely dressed in a customised suit of power armour and standing on a shield borne by two servants, was carried forth out of the crowd. Raising his Daemon weapon, he shouted three abrupt words:
"Thin! YOUR! PAINTS!"
With that, every member of the warhost screamed out their own battlecry; only a few that I heard were "WOLVES FOR THE WOLF GOD, WOLVES FOR THE WOLF THRONE!", "METAL BAWKSES!", and, strangest of all, "CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!". However, after a few seconds, all these shouts were replaced with a single, simultaneous battlecry:
"DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! 'ERE WE GO, 'ERE WE GO, 'ERE WE GO!" Upon shouting this, the entire army charged down the hill, guns blazing." - extract from the report of Colonel Montague, Cadian 12th, on the "Gugalle Incident".
 
   
Made in au
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






The Lost Autarch wrote:Man, this opens up a whole can of worms re: modeling for advantage.

But hey, if you want to give every single death company guy you have an axe, you might as well be rewarded for the effort.


In theory these power weapons are balanced in such a way that they all have the same value, it's not a universal truth, for example an Initiative 2 ork will happily take a Power Axe, whereas to give one to a Dark Eldar squad leader is giving up a major strength of the army.

Basically, yes you can model to get the weapon type you want, but it's no different to if your codex said you could take any of the 4 weapons for the same point cost.

Interceptor Drones can disembark at any point during the Sun Shark's move (even though models cannot normally disembark from Zooming Flyers).


-Jeremy Vetock, only man at Games Workshop who understands Zooming Flyers 
   
Made in us
Storming Storm Guardian




Somewhere

Hmmm, Necron Lychguard Hyper (phase?) swords look Axe-ish.

2400
2000
2250
1750 
   
Made in us
Deadly Dire Avenger




Washington, DC area

Drunkspleen wrote:

In theory these power weapons are balanced in such a way that they all have the same value, it's not a universal truth, for example an Initiative 2 ork will happily take a Power Axe, whereas to give one to a Dark Eldar squad leader is giving up a major strength of the army.

Basically, yes you can model to get the weapon type you want, but it's no different to if your codex said you could take any of the 4 weapons for the same point cost.


Yeah, I totally agree. Each option has pros/cons and depending on your army some choices become more viable than others (like your Ork example). I personally see nothing wrong with this approach to the rule. To me it seems that the design team knew exactly what they were doing here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/07/01 16:57:50


http://beltway-gamers.com For those in the DC/MD area who are looking for a solid gaming club.

DS:80S+G+M--B+I+Pw40k97+ID++A+/e/mR+++T(S)DM+

>6500
6th Ed Eldar - 4/2/5

"The warhost on the hill was one of the most bizzare sights I had ever seen on a battlefield... Xenos, daemons and humans collected together in units together, gripping dice and paintbrushes; Orks, humans and creatures for which I had no name, clad in ancient armour and clothing; steam-powered walkers with antique-armoured assistants; and many bizarre war-machines, many of which had no purpose that I understood.
An Eldar, bizarrely dressed in a customised suit of power armour and standing on a shield borne by two servants, was carried forth out of the crowd. Raising his Daemon weapon, he shouted three abrupt words:
"Thin! YOUR! PAINTS!"
With that, every member of the warhost screamed out their own battlecry; only a few that I heard were "WOLVES FOR THE WOLF GOD, WOLVES FOR THE WOLF THRONE!", "METAL BAWKSES!", and, strangest of all, "CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!". However, after a few seconds, all these shouts were replaced with a single, simultaneous battlecry:
"DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! 'ERE WE GO, 'ERE WE GO, 'ERE WE GO!" Upon shouting this, the entire army charged down the hill, guns blazing." - extract from the report of Colonel Montague, Cadian 12th, on the "Gugalle Incident".
 
   
Made in us
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller





Drunkspleen wrote:
Coyote81 wrote:
nosferatu1001 wrote:Nope, both pieces of wargear act together, meaning you roll off to see which one takes precedence that round.


This is correct, It's on page 2 of the BGB.


Except, as I said before, Unwieldy isn't an initiative modifier, and thus, that part of the rules has no bearing on it.


Oh, yea I see that, you got me there. I was assuming it says you strike at I10.

Inquisitor Jex wrote:
Yeah, telling people how this and that is 'garbage' and they should just throw their minis into the trash as they're not as efficient as XYZ.

 Peregrine wrote:
So the solution is to lie and pretend that certain options are effective so people will feel better?
 
   
Made in is
Fresh-Faced New User




Someone asked: Then wtf are burnas classified as, Idd very much like to know myself!
   
 
Forum Index » 40K You Make Da Call
Go to:   

Dakka 5.42 - Privacy Policy - Legal Stuff - Forum Rules