Switch Theme:

Eldar Anti Air  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker



Alaska

Besides buying fortifications, what other way can Eldar take down flyers? Falcon with Scatter laser or Bright lance? If you still have Wave Serpents in your army, TL Scatter Lasers, Bright Lances, or Missile Launchers? Strength 6 will get you glances which is helpful, and the strength 8 will get you pens, what do you think is the most efficient?

Think I am going to go with Falcons with Pulse Laser and Bright Lance, my friend typically runs a Land Raider and Stormraven. Any thoughts? Also running a Fire Prism for the pesky Land Raider.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/07/06 01:26:42


3000pts
3000pts
Orks! 2000pts
 
   
Advert


Login or Register to make this and other promotional elements disappear from your dakka browsing.
Made in us
Neophyte undergoing Ritual of Detestation





I really feel like the Eldar's best anti-air option is just to ally in a Voidraven Bomber, to be honest... :(

Armies Played: Grey Knights Tyranids Harlequins (WIP) 
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker



Alaska

Doomaflatchi wrote:I really feel like the Eldar's best anti-air option is just to ally in a Voidraven Bomber, to be honest... :(


Lol, yeah I agree, but I dont own one, and we will probably play this weekend. In the meantime will just wing it.

3000pts
3000pts
Orks! 2000pts
 
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon






I'd take a group of 3 war walkers with 6 scatter lasers. Guide them when you can. Mass fire is best for taking those things out. 24 shots, 7.33 shots hit with guide, yields 1.222 glances and 1.222 penns vs AV11 and yields 1.222 glances vs AV12. My mat may not be perfect. Its 2am lol. But either way I always trust mass fire over one heavy shot.

6th edition Eldar/Dark Eldar stats total- W:14 L:3 T:2
V.S. -5/1/1 -1/0/0 -0/1/0 - 0/1/0 -1/0/0 -2/0/1 4/0/0 1/0/0
PLEASE click my Dragons to feed them :-)
 
   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight






Yendor

Eldar are faster than ever, and as people are starting to realize Flyers' movement restrictions tend to give them trouble keeping quick enemies in their sights. With clever movement you can only give a flyer 2 or 3 turns of shooting unless they enter hover mode- in which case you can deal with them like any other fast skimmer.

Guide or Prescience, depending on what powers you are feeling like will help you get some hits on em.

Anti Air is really Eldar's biggest weakness right now, but with the new hullpoint system we can bring enough tl fire power to bear to deal with 1 or 2 fliers currently.

Otherwise its just hold out for the second wave of fliers so that we can bring our own jets to dogfight with .

As for Land Raiders, one unit we have that got a huge buff are Swooping Hawks. If you can get them to within charge range of a land raider, you are almost guaranteed to kill it- Exarch throws a haywire grenade at BS5, then charge, and everybody hits on a 3, and glances on a 2+... hilarious Hull Point drain. Otherwise Dragons in a Wave Serpent still do a really good job of turning nearly any vehicle into paste.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/07/06 06:17:21


Xom finds this thread hilarious!

My 5th Edition Eldar Tactica (not updated for 6th, historical purposes only) Walking the Path of the Eldar 
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker



Alaska

Think I will take as much TL S6 spam as I can, but I cant forget his Land Raider. Probably just suicide melta him. Not that he hasnt seen that coming lol. Thanks for the advice.

3000pts
3000pts
Orks! 2000pts
 
   
Made in eu
Wicked Warp Spider




A cave, deep in the Misty Mountains

Good thing I actually bought some hawks just for the models. Even have baharroth though he is quite useless.

Craftworld Eleuven 4500

LoneLictor on thread about an ork choking the Emperor:
 LoneLictor wrote:
I like to imagine the Emperor kills so many Orks that he ends up half buried beneath a pile of corpses, with only his head sticking out. A lone grot stumbles across him, and starts choking him.

Then Horus comes across the lone grot, somehow managing to kill the Emperor, and punts it into space.
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Resident Ethicist





Vallejo, CA

akaean wrote:Eldar are faster than ever, and as people are starting to realize Flyers' movement restrictions tend to give them trouble keeping quick enemies in their sights. With clever movement you can only give a flyer 2 or 3 turns of shooting unless they enter hover mode- in which case you can deal with them like any other fast skimmer.

This.

So much in your army can move flat out over 24". Your opponent can only rotate 90 degrees at a time with their fliers. Plus, eldar vehicles still aren't exactly easy to kill. Serpent shields and jink is still going to be tough for a flier to take down, and that's before you start throwing on optional durability upgrades.

Plus, you can still shoot them down normally. With a 10x dragon squad, you're likely getting two melta hits, which blow up AV12 just as fast as before (well, slightly faster thanks to the consolation prize of glancing).

Or you could honestly just ignore them. The killing power efficiency of fliers is pretty poor.



Your one-stop website for batreps, articles, and assorted goodies about the men of Folera: Foleran First Imperial Archives. Read Dakka's favorite narrative battle report series The Hand of the King. Also, check out my commission work, and my terrain.

Abstract Principles of 40k: Why game imbalance and list tailoring is good, and why tournaments are an absurd farce.

Ever wonder what happened to Melchoir after the Hand of the King? Watch the story unfold in "The Geomides Affair". A full-length novel, now COMPLETE!
 
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon






I think eldar have taught me to love S6 so much that its just my answer to almost everything. Somebody asks "how do you handle _______"? my response.... "shoot it with scatter lasers until it dies". And I am usually very content with that answer :-). Land raiders should be very scared swooping hawks, Very, very afraid. Swooping hawks are even a cheaper suicide unit to handle a land raider then FD's. Sadly they can not assault off of a deep strike. Or nothing would be safe. The only problem I see with te swooping hawks is keeping them out of line of sight until they get to the LR. 12" move and a re-roll (from fleet) average of I believe 10" for charge. They wont survive much shooting so you would have to be pretty tacticious(is that a word??) with them. As sweet as it would be to watch, Id still rely on my FD's

6th edition Eldar/Dark Eldar stats total- W:14 L:3 T:2
V.S. -5/1/1 -1/0/0 -0/1/0 - 0/1/0 -1/0/0 -2/0/1 4/0/0 1/0/0
PLEASE click my Dragons to feed them :-)
 
   
Made in us
Executing Exarch





The Twilight Zone

Guideseer+S6 spam should do the trick. Now against vendettas... that is another story.

The most important rule of 40K-Page XVII of the 6th edition rulebook, the figure at the top right of the page. "Shake hands with your opponent and thank them for a good battle and fun experience." Then go out for a beer.
Shine bright like Iyanden  
   
Made in eu
Wicked Warp Spider




A cave, deep in the Misty Mountains

Razgriz22 wrote:I think eldar have taught me to love S6 so much that its just my answer to almost everything. Somebody asks "how do you handle _______"? my response.... "shoot it with scatter lasers until it dies". And I am usually very content with that answer :-). Land raiders should be very scared swooping hawks, Very, very afraid. Swooping hawks are even a cheaper suicide unit to handle a land raider then FD's. Sadly they can not assault off of a deep strike. Or nothing would be safe. The only problem I see with te swooping hawks is keeping them out of line of sight until they get to the LR. 12" move and a re-roll (from fleet) average of I believe 10" for charge. They wont survive much shooting so you would have to be pretty tacticious(is that a word??) with them. As sweet as it would be to watch, Id still rely on my FD's


Tactful.

Swooping hawks are really maneouverable though thanks to them being jump infantry and all. I'm sure if you hug cover you can get close to the LR, especially since alot of players feel the need to move forward even if they don't really need to. Not to mention the exarch can chuck a haywire grenade at a BS of 5...

Craftworld Eleuven 4500

LoneLictor on thread about an ork choking the Emperor:
 LoneLictor wrote:
I like to imagine the Emperor kills so many Orks that he ends up half buried beneath a pile of corpses, with only his head sticking out. A lone grot stumbles across him, and starts choking him.

Then Horus comes across the lone grot, somehow managing to kill the Emperor, and punts it into space.
 
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon






Lord Rogukiel wrote:
Razgriz22 wrote:I think eldar have taught me to love S6 so much that its just my answer to almost everything. Somebody asks "how do you handle _______"? my response.... "shoot it with scatter lasers until it dies". And I am usually very content with that answer :-). Land raiders should be very scared swooping hawks, Very, very afraid. Swooping hawks are even a cheaper suicide unit to handle a land raider then FD's. Sadly they can not assault off of a deep strike. Or nothing would be safe. The only problem I see with te swooping hawks is keeping them out of line of sight until they get to the LR. 12" move and a re-roll (from fleet) average of I believe 10" for charge. They wont survive much shooting so you would have to be pretty tacticious(is that a word??) with them. As sweet as it would be to watch, Id still rely on my FD's


Tactful.

Swooping hawks are really maneouverable though thanks to them being jump infantry and all. I'm sure if you hug cover you can get close to the LR, especially since alot of players feel the need to move forward even if they don't really need to. Not to mention the exarch can chuck a haywire grenade at a BS of 5...


Lol I have noticed that too about LR's. Everyone who has one loves t move it right down the center of the board. They dont turn, or stop. Just full speed ahead (which isnt very fast ) lol. I usually just ignore them for a few turns and letmy fire dragons salivate as it drives itself right towards them.

6th edition Eldar/Dark Eldar stats total- W:14 L:3 T:2
V.S. -5/1/1 -1/0/0 -0/1/0 - 0/1/0 -1/0/0 -2/0/1 4/0/0 1/0/0
PLEASE click my Dragons to feed them :-)
 
   
Made in gb
Bewitched Vassal of Angmar






I think vibro cannons may have a use now against fliers and other vehicals. Always auto-glance on armour, they should quickly strip HP.

Also I thought jump infantry had the bulky special rule, which would suggest to me they can be transported, but take up 2 places in the transport capacity, (useful for Hawks in serpents, maybe)

=  
   
Made in gb
Swift Swooping Hawk





I don't know

Spam S6 shooting and use Guide. But, to be honest, I think that GW will see a rather large increase in the number of Aegis Defence lines that they sell...



 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Dallas Texas

Ally with Dark Eldar and bring one of theirs or pray that your opponent has the downs.

It will even out as more fliers come out, but right now its incredibly broken.

5000+ pts. Eldar 2500pts
"The only thing that match's the Eldar's firepower, is their arrogance".
8th General at Alamo GT 2011.
Tied 2nd General Alamo GT 2012
Top General Lower Bracket Railhead 2011
Top General Railhead 2012
# of Local Tournaments Won: 4
28-9-1 In Tournaments As Eldar.
Maintained a 75% Win Ratio As Eldar in 5th Edition GT's.



 
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker



Alaska

Smitty0305 wrote:Ally with Dark Eldar and bring one of theirs or pray that your opponent has the downs.

It will even out as more fliers come out, but right now its incredibly broken.


I dont have a Razorwing yet, though I do intend to get one. Good news is he only has one flyer, if he puts it in hover mode, that turkey is going down.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/07/06 23:52:58


3000pts
3000pts
Orks! 2000pts
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Razgriz22 wrote:I'd take a group of 3 war walkers with 6 scatter lasers. Guide them when you can. Mass fire is best for taking those things out. 24 shots, 7.33 shots hit with guide, yields 1.222 glances and 1.222 penns vs AV11 and yields 1.222 glances vs AV12. My mat may not be perfect. Its 2am lol. But either way I always trust mass fire over one heavy shot.


I have wrecked two Night Scythes, one turn two other turn three like this. The crazy laser weapon got one shot each time, but only once rolled enough distance to damage much. Next turn I outright destroyed one on pen., other I stripped HPs to wreck it.

Guide really negates BS1 when you get 24 re-roll shots at a time.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Strength 6 spam doesn't work all that well against AV12 fliers like Storm Ravens or Vendettas.

Warwalkers are also pretty fragile with av 10 open topped 2 hull points.

Allying Space Marines might be the best option.

Librarian
- Powers: Avenger and Null Zone or take Presence and another power.
100 pts

Elite
Dreadnought
- TL Auto Cannon
- TL Auto Cannon
125 pts

Troops
10 Tactical Marines
- Melta Gun
- Combi Melta
- Missle Launcher
- Rhino
220 pts

10 Tactical Marines
- Melta Gun
- Combi Melta
- Missle Launcher
- Rhino
220 pts

Fast Attack
Storm Talon Gunship
- Typhoon Missle Launcher
155 pts

Heavy Support
5 Devastator Squad
- 4 missles
150 pts

Librarian can take Presense if you don't already have a farseer taking it.

Riflemen dread puts out 4 tl shots at strength 7 so is decent against av10 or 11 fliers.

Marine troops give you 4 scoring units if you combat squad them and mobile melta without taking fire dragons.

Storm Talon gives you a flier of your own. Typhoon missle upgrade lets you get 2 strength 8 shots to hurt av12 fliers.

You can cast presense on the dev squad to Twin Link their missles.
   
Made in nl
Preacher of the Emperor






Aegis Defense Line with Icarus Cannon + Fire Dragon exarch for Tank Hunter or Dark Reaper Exarch for Fast Shot.

Or the quad gun with either.

Cratfworld Alaitoc (Gallery)
Order of the Red Mantle (Gallery)
Grand (little) Army of Chaos, now painting! (Blog
   
Made in pl
Screaming Shining Spear




NeoGliwice III

Warwalkers are not open topped. That one pops every time they are mentioned

Good´╗┐ things are good,.. so it's good
Keep our city clean.
Report your death to the Department of Expiration
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




MaxDamage wrote:Besides buying fortifications, what other way can Eldar take down flyers?


http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Eldar/ELDAR-NIGHTWING.html
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon






Yea, War walkers are not open topped. And if The flyers are spending their turns trying to destroy my 180 pts of war walkers with well over that amount in flyers, then they can go right ahead. They have limited time to shoot. So go right ahead and do that. My money is still on S6 spam. Takes a flyer down every turn with some farseer assistance.

Oh and I would NEVER ally with Space marines! Imperial Scum.

6th edition Eldar/Dark Eldar stats total- W:14 L:3 T:2
V.S. -5/1/1 -1/0/0 -0/1/0 - 0/1/0 -1/0/0 -2/0/1 4/0/0 1/0/0
PLEASE click my Dragons to feed them :-)
 
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker



Alaska

Does Guide or Prescience allow you to re roll TL misses?

3000pts
3000pts
Orks! 2000pts
 
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon






MaxDamage wrote:Does Guide or Prescience allow you to re roll TL misses?


No you can not re-roll a re-roll.

6th edition Eldar/Dark Eldar stats total- W:14 L:3 T:2
V.S. -5/1/1 -1/0/0 -0/1/0 - 0/1/0 -1/0/0 -2/0/1 4/0/0 1/0/0
PLEASE click my Dragons to feed them :-)
 
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker



Alaska

Razgriz22 wrote:
MaxDamage wrote:Does Guide or Prescience allow you to re roll TL misses?


No you can not re-roll a re-roll.


Thanks, thought so, just couldn't remember.

3000pts
3000pts
Orks! 2000pts
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: