DakkaDakka - Warhammer 40000, Flames of War, Warmachine and Warhammer Forums
ForumGalleryArticlesVideoHobby BlogsStore FinderPlayer FinderArmy PainterJoin Us!
Switch Theme:

Alternative mecha miniatures (Also for the glory of MEKATAC!)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
Made in gb
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator






Am looking for alternatives to battletech (cant stand the models) and Dreampod9 (getting the way of GW prices >&gt for use with play with MEKATAC. The only free small skirmish based rules for mechs i could find. Saw the rather nice looking set on EM4miniatures, but no experience with the company/ the one single set looks to have 3 different body frames (or rather 2 humanoid mecha, and 1 looks more like a mechwarrior style bipedal tank frame). So curious if theres other companies that do them? Tried my flgs and other than trying to do a salespush for warmachine jacks that would do a GW manager proud, they could turn up nothing.

Thanks in advance

- 1250 points
Empire of the Blazing Sun (Combined Theaters)- 1950 points
FUBAR Starship Troopers- Would you like to know more?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.  
   
Advert


Login or Register to make this and other promotional elements disappear from your dakka browsing.
Made in us
Posts with Authority






Chicago

I can recommend the EM4 mechs. They are perfectly in scale with battletech mechs (6-8mm in scale) and are easily to convert and customize.

EM4 also sells the hexagonal plastic bases that are well suited for mechs. I recommend the 30mm mech bases with lip.

A few other options in 6mm
Blue moon sells a set of striders that should scale well.
http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=15ALN-119

Reaper makes a set of XAIRobots. Smaller than most 6mm mecha though.
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/robot/sku-down/50164

Technog (the russian company that makes "robogear") Has a line of 6mm robots called "Asteroids"
A bit animae'ish in style, but they sure are cheap. A few ebay dealers have them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTROID-War-Droids-Mech-Robots-set-of-16-1-48-1-72-28mm-15mm-/251155181776?pt=Games_US&hash=item3a7a03f0d0

In 10mm (i.e. N Scale, or 1/144)

Reaper makes CAV miniatures
About the same price as Battletech, but they tend to be a bit larger as they are supposedly in 10mm scale
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/CAV:StrikeOperations
The exception is the mechs by "Chris Lewis" these were formerly part of Talon Games and are scaled similarly to Battletech.

Mechwarrior Clix minis can still be found plentifully and cheaply from places like Ebay or Troll and Toad. I've made entire armies of rebased clix figs. I use them for games of Mech Attack, Future War Commander and Panzer 8 Sci-Fi
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/09/trying-out-panzer-8-for-quick-play-sci.html

Technog also has a line of mechs called ZOD. They're about 2 bucks each. They are called 15mm, but in reality they are much closer to 10mm. A couple of ebay sellers have them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOD-15mm-sci-fi-Mechs-ans-Flyers-set-Stargrunt-Mechwarrior-Battltech-/251116541079?pt=Games_US&hash=item3a77b65497

15mm
If you go to 15mm, the price goes up considerably, but there are a wealth of options from companies like
GZG
http://shop.groundzerogames.net/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=4
CMG
http://www.criticalmassgames.com/

In 28mm, consider Robogear by Technog.
The seller linked to technog above has some, and so do alot of other dealers on ebay. If you look carefully, you can get 28mm mecha for less than the price of 6mm battletech mecha! Some of my review of these mechs here:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/355685.page


Lastly, as for fast and simple mech rules, I've read MEKATAC and it looks pretty good, but I've been really happy with "Mech Attack" from Armor Grid games. It's only 6 bucks, but really has a nice rule flow (quite simple and straitforward) and a really good unit creation system.
http://www.wargamevault.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=3148&products_id=79303
The game even has a small forum that isn't very active, but the author is very quick to answer questions there:
http://armorgridgames.proboards.com/

Chicago Skirmish Wargames club. Join us for some fast-play, indie gaming in the windy city.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/
Complete Guide to Brush Dipping.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/01/with-liberty-and-brush-dipping-for-all.html 
   
Made in gb
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator






Eilif wrote:
I can recommend the EM4 mechs. They are perfectly in scale with battletech mechs (6-8mm in scale) and are easily to convert and customize.

EM4 also sells the hexagonal plastic bases that are well suited for mechs. I recommend the 30mm mech bases with lip.

A few other options in 6mm
Blue moon sells a set of striders that should scale well.
http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=15ALN-119

Reaper makes a set of XAIRobots. Smaller than most 6mm mecha though.
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/robot/sku-down/50164

Technog (the russian company that makes "robogear") Has a line of 6mm robots called "Asteroids"
A bit animae'ish in style, but they sure are cheap. A few ebay dealers have them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTROID-War-Droids-Mech-Robots-set-of-16-1-48-1-72-28mm-15mm-/251155181776?pt=Games_US&hash=item3a7a03f0d0

In 10mm (i.e. N Scale, or 1/144)

Reaper makes CAV miniatures
About the same price as Battletech, but they tend to be a bit larger as they are supposedly in 10mm scale
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/CAV:StrikeOperations
The exception is the mechs by "Chris Lewis" these were formerly part of Talon Games and are scaled similarly to Battletech.

Mechwarrior Clix minis can still be found plentifully and cheaply from places like Ebay or Troll and Toad. I've made entire armies of rebased clix figs. I use them for games of Mech Attack, Future War Commander and Panzer 8 Sci-Fi
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/09/trying-out-panzer-8-for-quick-play-sci.html

Technog also has a line of mechs called ZOD. They're about 2 bucks each. They are called 15mm, but in reality they are much closer to 10mm. A couple of ebay sellers have them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOD-15mm-sci-fi-Mechs-ans-Flyers-set-Stargrunt-Mechwarrior-Battltech-/251116541079?pt=Games_US&hash=item3a77b65497

15mm
If you go to 15mm, the price goes up considerably, but there are a wealth of options from companies like
GZG
http://shop.groundzerogames.net/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=4
CMG
http://www.criticalmassgames.com/

In 28mm, consider Robogear by Technog.
The seller linked to technog above has some, and so do alot of other dealers on ebay. If you look carefully, you can get 28mm mecha for less than the price of 6mm battletech mecha! Some of my review of these mechs here:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/355685.page


Lastly, as for fast and simple mech rules, I've read MEKATAC and it looks pretty good, but I've been really happy with "Mech Attack" from Armor Grid games. It's only 6 bucks, but really has a nice rule flow (quite simple and straitforward) and a really good unit creation system.
http://www.wargamevault.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=3148&products_id=79303
The game even has a small forum that isn't very active, but the author is very quick to answer questions there:
http://armorgridgames.proboards.com/


Oh wow hadnt expected this nice a turn out in companies 0.o Iv heard Reaper is hard to get shipped over here, but MEKATAC scales fairly nicely for different sized mechs at the same time, so will maybe dabble with the 6/8mm and a bit of the 10mm. Many thanks

- 1250 points
Empire of the Blazing Sun (Combined Theaters)- 1950 points
FUBAR Starship Troopers- Would you like to know more?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.  
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Wrack Sufferer





The other side of the internet

Dropzone Commander's PHR have walkers:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/collections/post-human-republic-phr

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RAGE 
   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






Chicago

Dropzone miniatures are really cool. Plus, they are 10mm, so you can combine them with Mechwarrior or CAV minis.

Chicago Skirmish Wargames club. Join us for some fast-play, indie gaming in the windy city.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/
Complete Guide to Brush Dipping.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/01/with-liberty-and-brush-dipping-for-all.html 
   
Made in gb
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator








Eilif wrote:
Dropzone miniatures are really cool. Plus, they are 10mm, so you can combine them with Mechwarrior or CAV minis.


Thanks for the point towards DZC, saw the PHR and the only one that really got my attention was the Janus mini ones i think they're called? The others look like tau hammorheads on legs >>

- 1250 points
Empire of the Blazing Sun (Combined Theaters)- 1950 points
FUBAR Starship Troopers- Would you like to know more?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.  
   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






Chicago

Glad we could be of help. If you go the 6 or 10mm route, still check out CMG, they have quite a few walkers in different sizes that are relatively scale-less.

I'm awash in 10mm Mechwarrior clix and I don't have any CMG or DZC figs, but some of them look really nice.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/09/28 14:43:00


Chicago Skirmish Wargames club. Join us for some fast-play, indie gaming in the windy city.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/
Complete Guide to Brush Dipping.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/01/with-liberty-and-brush-dipping-for-all.html 
   
Made in gb
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator






Eilif wrote:
Glad we could be of help. If you go the 6 or 10mm route, still check out CMG, they have quite a few walkers in different sizes that are relatively scale-less.

I'm awash in 10mm Mechwarrior clix and I don't have any CMG or DZC figs, but some of them look really nice.


Actually have a question on the MEKATAC, the cards, it doesnt seem to see how many of each it needs, but then that they arnt mandatory. Are they like the STAR cards for dystopian wars? as in nice to use as extra but the systems fine without? It also doesnt seem to say any particular points value towards Systems or mech frames? Am i missing something here?

- 1250 points
Empire of the Blazing Sun (Combined Theaters)- 1950 points
FUBAR Starship Troopers- Would you like to know more?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.  
   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






Chicago

Sorry,
I don't know anything about MEKATAC, the game I play is "Mech Attack".

Chicago Skirmish Wargames club. Join us for some fast-play, indie gaming in the windy city.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/
Complete Guide to Brush Dipping.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/01/with-liberty-and-brush-dipping-for-all.html 
   
Made in gb
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator






Eilif wrote:
Sorry,
I don't know anything about MEKATAC, the game I play is "Mech Attack".


hah yeah sorry, just reread your post >< hehe sorry for the confusion. Also thought id add this http://www.comfychairgames.com/range.php?range_id=11

- 1250 points
Empire of the Blazing Sun (Combined Theaters)- 1950 points
FUBAR Starship Troopers- Would you like to know more?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.  
   
Made in gb
Mimetic Lasiq






Cheltenham, UK

Just wanted to add my appreciation for all those recommendations. I'd observe that the em4 ones are £2.55 for five mechs (two small, two medium and one large).

Yep: 50p each.

Value just does not get better than that. So I bought 60 of 'em.

R.

   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






Chicago

Wow, that's alot of Steel Warriors (What ICE called them before EM4 bought the molds) Mechs!

One hint, don't be afraid to chop them up, remove bits, etc. I've found a few that look pretty good with cockpits filed off and torsos reversed!

Here's what some other folks have done with them.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=11886.0

Also, the bases they come with are ok, but are a bit small. There are two other options that look better and are quite cheap.

1) The larger EM4 30mm "Mech Bases" hexes with lip handle the mini better (no overhanging feet) and look quite nice. Scroll halfway down here:
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/MINIAATURES_BASES.html

2) Proxie Model's 30mm hex bases. These have just enough texture to them that you don't even need flocking,
http://proxiemodels.com/30mmhexagonbases.aspx

Chicago Skirmish Wargames club. Join us for some fast-play, indie gaming in the windy city.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/
Complete Guide to Brush Dipping.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/01/with-liberty-and-brush-dipping-for-all.html 
   
Made in gb
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator






Eilif wrote:
Wow, that's alot of Steel Warriors (What ICE called them before EM4 bought the molds) Mechs!

One hint, don't be afraid to chop them up, remove bits, etc. I've found a few that look pretty good with cockpits filed off and torsos reversed!

Here's what some other folks have done with them.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=11886.0

Also, the bases they come with are ok, but are a bit small. There are two other options that look better and are quite cheap.

1) The larger EM4 30mm "Mech Bases" hexes with lip handle the mini better (no overhanging feet) and look quite nice. Scroll halfway down here:
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/MINIAATURES_BASES.html

2) Proxie Model's 30mm hex bases. These have just enough texture to them that you don't even need flocking,
http://proxiemodels.com/30mmhexagonbases.aspx


Ok i am definatly stealing those mods 0.o Any idea if those ZODs are still in production?


Gave a demo game of MEKATAC (without the cards though), turns out my mate was considering a gladiator style campaign anyway but was unsure (same problem as me, too many army based mech rules, our moneys already in DW mostly ) but he loved the system, were gonna try and win the group over at the weekend god i love these rules

- 1250 points
Empire of the Blazing Sun (Combined Theaters)- 1950 points
FUBAR Starship Troopers- Would you like to know more?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.  
   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






Chicago

ZOD are still in production, but they don't import them directly so you have to get them from ebay. Ignore the labels that say 15mm. They're actually more like 10mm. I think they are still available at the dealer I linked above. However, be aware that almost all the designs are siginificanty larger than BT or EM4 mechs still probably would work for 6mm too.

Here's a couple of topics about ZOD
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=250890
http://15mmstrife.blogspot.com/search?q=zod

Chicago Skirmish Wargames club. Join us for some fast-play, indie gaming in the windy city.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/
Complete Guide to Brush Dipping.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/01/with-liberty-and-brush-dipping-for-all.html 
   
Made in gb
Mimetic Lasiq






Cheltenham, UK

Brill. Thanks, chaps. I actually based mine on 2p pieces.

R.

   
 
Forum Index » Misc. Miniature Games
Go to:   

Dakka 5.42 - Privacy Policy - Legal Stuff - Forum Rules