DakkaDakka - Warhammer 40000, Flames of War, Warmachine and Warhammer Forums
ForumGalleryArticlesVideoHobby BlogsStore FinderPlayer FinderArmy PainterJoin Us!
Switch Theme:

Crosse or Jakes?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
Made in us
Doc Brown




The Bleak Land of Gehenna (a.k.a Kentucky)

So, I'm getting ready to drop $40 on the Warmachine: Tactics Kickstarter here in the next week or two. The problem with this is that I now find myself faced with the problematic decision of deciding between Allison Jakes and Gastone Crosse as an incentive. On one hand I'm tempted to take Jakes because her model is awesome (at least I think so anyway), I find her abilities to be intriguing, and she offers yet another battle group that I can use to field Cygnar jacks. On the other hand, Crosse offers a few more abilities that I'm interested in since I'm a sucker for ranged combat, and he offers more versatility in that I can field him in my Highborn lists and in my Cygnar lists.

Anyone have any advice on which to choose?

(P.S. I know I can just add the other on, but I'm committed to choosing only a single one of them until the normal sculpts are released later on.)

 
   
Advert


Login or Register to make this and other promotional elements disappear from your dakka browsing.
Made in au
[MOD]
Jack Bowling






Brisbane

If you are committed to getting just one, I'd get the one you will get the most use out of, so Crosse given your explanation above.

4 successful trades 
   
Made in us
Gun Mage







Until we see how good Gastone's sculpt is it will be difficult to judge. The limited sculpts are all about aesthetics and early access so we need to see them to know for sure which are worth it. Jakes is a very pretty sculpt and being the main character of the first campaign she is sure to be popular. Gastone Crosse is just an ugly silhouette right now.

Rules wise? Crosse hands down.
Jakes does very little for ranged jacks and seems to be designed to get herself into trouble. It is a fun theme but seems bad to play. All the best jacks to run with her are melee or high mobility, making her want to go way too far forward.
Crosse stays at a safe distance and offers his ranged jacks lots of support -some of it unique. I'm not sure fire group will see a whole lot of use with his focus restrictions but Moving shadows is really good. Movement shenanigans are always potent.

   
Made in us
Battlefield Professional





United States

Personally I am planning to get both Crosse and Durant, but one of the normal sculpts after they release them. Protectorate one I am planning to get limited edition, but reading your thing, I say get Crosse first since he has a bit more better rules as you said.

My hobby blog. Mainly focuses on Warmahordes/Infinity/Nercomunda and Kill Team, but I do other things as well.

My Miniwargaming painting/ modeling Facebook page of sorts: https://www.facebook.com/TanakoSkylerPaintingAndGaming

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond of spiteful is to lose one's balance. After which, no action can be trusted." 
   
Made in au
Dakka Veteran




Brisbane, Australia

Cross is probably the better option if you have Highborn as well, because you can use him in both lists, BUT I will say I think Jakes has quite a nice suite of abilities too.

I can really see her with a light ranged jack, a hunter or charger perhaps. With a Hunter, she can make it DEF15, stick it in a forest (for DEF 17) and have it move, fire and then retreat it with Energiser. She herself can also duck out of cover, shoot and retreat behind something with energiser (though you'll want to keep it under 2" movement to save on focus), and she'll be DEF 17 if in contract with the jack (just watch out for AOEs!). Basically, I think that Jakes is pretty good, perhaps even as good as Crosse, but she probably needs a bit more thought put into her tactics.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at Pubhammer, our friendly club in a pub at the Junction pub in Annerley (opposite Ace Comics), Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook group for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.


Pubhammer is Moving! Starting from the 25th of May we'll be gaming at The Junction pub (AKA The Muddy Farmer), opposite Ace Comics & Games in Annerley! Still Sunday nights from 6:30 in the Function room Come along and play Warmachine, 40k, boardgames or anything else! 
   
Made in us
Battlefield Professional





St.Joseph MO

Get Both... Spend $60.

You wont be able to get these later or will have to at a higher price on ebay.

Win!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/07/14 18:38:59


-Warmahordes-
Mercenaries


Menoth 
   
Made in ca
Bane Lord Tartar Sauce




 Spyder68 wrote:
Get Both... Spend $60.

You wont be able to get these later or will have to at a higher price on ebay.

Win!


As a note, only these specific sculpts are limited time. All of the character journeymen are going to be released seperately with different models, I believe in Vengeance. Sturgis is also going to eventually be released, but its somewhat unclear if he's going to be included in Vengeance or in some other kind of release.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
The Magistrate





Prattville, AL

Not unclear at all, actually. Will Schick flat out said he's not in Vengeance.

You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
I'm Alpharius and so can you!
Hallowed is the All Pie
DR:80S++G++M+B+I+Pwmhd03#+D+++A(WTF)/mWD230R+++T(S)DM+++ 
   
Made in us
Doc Brown




The Bleak Land of Gehenna (a.k.a Kentucky)

RegalPhantom wrote:
 Spyder68 wrote:
Get Both... Spend $60.

You wont be able to get these later or will have to at a higher price on ebay.

Win!


As a note, only these specific sculpts are limited time. All of the character journeymen are going to be released seperately with different models, I believe in Vengeance. Sturgis is also going to eventually be released, but its somewhat unclear if he's going to be included in Vengeance or in some other kind of release.


That. I only really care about getting one of them for the limited edition sculpt and having early access to one of them early. I think getting both of them would be a bit overkill, as I just can't imagine ever wanting to run more than two or three battle groups at once, which I can accomplish with only one of the models, a warcaster, and Jr.

Sure, I'll probably pick up Jakes (or Crosse if the limited sculpt of him is just too ugly to pick as an option) eventually, but I just can't see $20 as a feasible price for a single extra small-based solo. After Vengeance pops up and the standard sculpts are released, I'll hit up Miniature Market and score the unchosen journeyman caster at a discounted price.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Platuan4th wrote:
Not unclear at all, actually. Will Schick flat out said he's not in Vengeance.


Any hints at all about when he's going to be given a standard release?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/07/15 04:38:50


 
   
Made in us
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller





 grayshadow87 wrote:



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Platuan4th wrote:
Not unclear at all, actually. Will Schick flat out said he's not in Vengeance.


Any hints at all about when he's going to be given a standard release?


None yet, and that's why I would at least add him on to the Journeyman you end up choosing, if nothing else, adding him and paying the extra 10 to make the Cryx version might net you back your investment through eBay/trading.

   
Made in us
Trencher






Sell a kidney and go for all 7.

 
   
Made in us
Doc Brown




The Bleak Land of Gehenna (a.k.a Kentucky)

 derek wrote:
 grayshadow87 wrote:



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Platuan4th wrote:
Not unclear at all, actually. Will Schick flat out said he's not in Vengeance.


Any hints at all about when he's going to be given a standard release?


None yet, and that's why I would at least add him on to the Journeyman you end up choosing, if nothing else, adding him and paying the extra 10 to make the Cryx version might net you back your investment through eBay/trading.


Now that is some crafty thinking. I may have to do that.

@Lumber Jack: Does it have to be one of my own kidneys?

 
   
Made in us
Trencher






 grayshadow87 wrote:


@Lumber Jack: Does it have to be one of my own kidneys?


Not at all. Any kidney fetches a good price these days. If you have a Arch Nemesis you could solve two problems at one time...

 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Island of Nunya, Nunya business!

 Lumber Jack wrote:
 grayshadow87 wrote:


@Lumber Jack: Does it have to be one of my own kidneys?


Not at all. Any kidney fetches a good price these days. If you have a Arch Nemesis you could solve two problems at one time...


To truly solve it you'd need to sell both Kidneys.

More money for plasticrack

Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('') This is Bunny________ This is bunny after a Thunderstomp
 Arcsquad12 wrote:
a Burrito is not an orgy.

Founder of the GFMGL society(Gamers for Marines Getting Laid), donate now and help all marines enjoy an active sex life. We also provide a comprehensive dating service for any loyal servent of the God Emperor, browse our photo collection. Lonely Marines, desperate Sisters, and Guardsmen and Guardswomen that are just looking for companionship.

Yes, I play GKs. "Cheese" you say? Take a look at this Terminator, notice he's pewter. Now notice the weight as I termi-sock you. *WACK* NOW!!! I been Playing GKs since their Force Weapons bypassed EW, everyone was WS5, Stormshields ONLY worked in CC, and Justicars cost 50 fricking points each!!! Don't you accuse me of Cheese! I waited for this Cheese and if i am not going to use it against you. Why I aught to shove it in the heater grates and turn the Thermostat up to 70 degrees. CELSIUS! TAKE THAT

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Space Wolf army.  
   
Made in us
Doc Brown




The Bleak Land of Gehenna (a.k.a Kentucky)

And the best part of it all is that kidney theft is totally morally justifiable, if you only steal one kidney from each person you decide to assaul... er, receive a donation from. They still have the ability to filter out various toxins and whatnot, a new person gets a shiny new working black market edition kidney, and I get all the Warmachine stuff I want. Everyone wins!

 
   
Made in us
Trencher






 grayshadow87 wrote:
And the best part of it all is that kidney theft is totally morally justifiable, if you only steal one kidney from each person you decide to assaul... er, receive a donation from. They still have the ability to filter out various toxins and whatnot, a new person gets a shiny new working black market edition kidney, and I get all the Warmachine stuff I want. Everyone wins!


Yes indeed. You rid the world of evil, grant someone renewed life and get your warmahordes fix.

I've found that most of life's problems can be solved with organ theft... Errr... Organ requisition...

 
   
 
Forum Index » Warmachine & Hordes General Discussion
Go to:   

Dakka 5.42 - Privacy Policy - Legal Stuff - Forum Rules