Switch Theme:

Plod’s Truescale Blood Ravens Blog - Truescale scouts painting - 21st June  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in gb
Storm Trooper with Maglight

Bath uk

Dude I really love your style of painting. The blending makes them look awesome. The chest peices look phenomenal.

Do you do it as if the light source is coming from directly above them?

RIP Colour Sgt Kell. Forever in our hearts.
Click below for plenty guardsmen

Cadian 404th "The Lost Boys" P&M blog

Tutorial:How to make IG packs

Made in gb
Mysterious Techpriest

I am highly envious of that red armour, it's gorgeous.

I thought those were decals ...

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

STG wrote:Dude I really love your style of painting. The blending makes them look awesome. The chest peices look phenomenal.

Do you do it as if the light source is coming from directly above them?

Thanks STG! To an extent yes, I assume lighting from above such as sunlight I guess, but in a stylised way. Another thing I try to do is where one panel/piece ends in a dark colour, the colour next to it will begin on the light end of the spectrum. So it may be far from accurate shading, but it contrasts and looks moody.

OneManNoodles wrote:I am highly envious of that red armour, it's gorgeous.

I thought those were decals ...

Thanks OneManNoodles, your envy is a compliment. And again thanks, I think the pictures make them more uniform but I'm not gonna complain.

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in us
Bounding Ultramarine Assault Trooper

Beautiful looking models. Your truescaling methods are great. I still can't seem to ever smooth greenstuff out enough for it to look as good as yours. I just skip that part. Lol.

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

 kavika0311 wrote:
Beautiful looking models. Your truescaling methods are great. I still can't seem to ever smooth greenstuff out enough for it to look as good as yours. I just skip that part. Lol.

Thank you very much. What you may need is just a little Vaseline. Once you've got it on and shaped up, a clayshaper or similar tool with a little blob of the stuff will smooth it right out. If you use too much though it can make a barrier for the paint to adhere.

Can be solved with a little scrub with warm water and washing up liquid. See if that helps.

Plodmarine wrote:
Thank you very much. What you may need is just a little Vaseline. Once you've got it on and shaped up, a clayshaper or similar tool with a little blob of the stuff will smooth it right out. If you use too much though it can make a barrier for the paint to adhere.

Can be solved with a little scrub with warm water and washing up liquid. See if that helps.

Thanks for the tip. I've just been using water and it hasn't been working out for me. Keep up the good work.

Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot

Pittsburgh PA, USA

how do you go about your blending? I've never been able to master that. My models tend to by the more "traditional" base coat, wash, re-apply base, and then highlight

Angels of Vengeance P&M Blog

A Tale of 5 Gamers!

Blood Knights Kill Team P&M

Crusade of Vengeance - A Tale of Sacrifce and Brotherhood
www..com/dakkaforum/posts/list/545145.page

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

 Master Azalle wrote:
how do you go about your blending? I've never been able to master that. My models tend to by the more "traditional" base coat, wash, re-apply base, and then highlight

That's pretty much how I was going until the last few models. If I remember correctly I'm doing the following.

>Black undercoat (spray or brush- whichever I have to hand)
>Khorne Red (the darker) 3:1 Mephiston Red (the brighter). Thinned of course.
>Carroburg Crimson Shade all over the red. If it's still to bright I follow up with Nuln oil once dry. It should look dark.

>Previous paint mix again, over most but not the darkest/shadiest areas. (Here we start building a gradient.)
>Khorne Red 1:1 Mephiston Red. (Again starting in the light and stopping short of the previous coat)
>1:3 on the same reds, now on the brighter side. (Moving as if almost highlights)

>fine edge highlights with Wild Rider Red.

What I have found is that by thinning paints well, or even using Lahmian medium in a small quantity improves the flow and once dry gives a smoother blend from light to dark.

On the Stormraven, I did it differently, I may add to the bright areas with a brighter mix, but after the base coat of redI mixed Lahmian medium and black about 1:1 and added layer after layer, building up from the centre of the red back towards the black. I found using a wet brush to remove/water the edge prevents a tide line as the pigment settles, but using the medium (basically a clear paint) actually improves how the pigment settles greatly.

Hope it makes sense but if not I'll try and do it in pictures next time I start.

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

Slow progress from me on painting the vehicles, having a bit of indecision on the paint job so in the meantime, I’ve been modelling. I’ve got a box of Scouts with sniper rifles, and also wanted to build my own unique apothecary. I’ll cover him in another post, because the scouts have kept me busy.

I was inspired by some artscale scouts made by Master of the Forge, and I really don’t like the GW scout heads. I wanted to upscale the scouts to fit with the rest of my troops, as although not fully fledged marines, theoretically these neophytes should be almost finished in their development and augmentation, which would mean a similar stature, less the bulk of armour.

I thought about using Tempestus Scions heads, but this seems a fairly common conversion these days, so I’ve taken a different direction. It may not be everybody’s cup of tea, but I’ve gone for some helmeted heads from Anvil Industries.

I have followed my usual method, adding .5mm to the feet, 1mm to legs above and below the knee, and another .5mm to the base of the torso. With the new heads these guys should be slightly shorter than my marines but not too short.

I have since begun filling out the trousers with green stuff, I’ll take more pics soon.

Other work includes tweaking the bipod to be collapsed as not in use, and adjusting the placement of the neck recess to align the helmet as if these guys might actually have a relatively normal posture. I did this by drilling a small hole at the back of the neck recess and then rotating a scalpel around to widen the area around it, effectively moving it back.
[Thumb - A06BAEF8-F1B1-493F-A462-0DBFFE136A7E.jpeg]
Here we go again...

[Thumb - A41A5B62-4685-49BD-9911-D8E1E8F766E3.jpeg]

[Thumb - 8A91A9D1-79D4-4F5C-8E73-F3FD13A9F907.jpeg]

[Thumb - 3ED848E4-333C-450E-9195-FB2CDD6F2848.jpeg]

[Thumb - 331AAA77-FE0D-4A82-9D1F-C5D7402B8E93.jpeg]
Dr

[Thumb - D63D5F6B-BD85-4209-BCDD-34C8F8CE915B.jpeg]

[Thumb - AB80B529-5931-4BC8-AF30-ADDB9A9C316C.jpeg]
Before

[Thumb - A7BA3B62-4339-4CEF-A175-33E221DD7EEB.jpeg]
After

[Thumb - CD8770FA-9A5D-4F5A-986F-B50EE354C45C.jpeg]

[Thumb - 5A2FA815-B1CB-45C9-818B-38F2F9A8178C.jpeg]

[Thumb - E8C2CF91-F4D3-42B5-9E04-89FF72A1C991.jpeg]
Collapsed Bipod

[Thumb - 03BA1593-4070-4180-84F2-F5CDED7050DA.jpeg]

[Thumb - 336F2F0B-E59B-4B0E-A864-226C8B727ACF.jpeg]

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

Now, the apothecary. I’m trying something new by using terminator legs to convert to true scale. So far I’m pleased, but I can see that this is not sustainable for large numbers due to the cost of those Termie legs. Anyway, nice and quick to convert, basically cuts out an entire step in the process so well on the way already. Again, some great advice by Master of the Forge on using termie legs to make true/art scale marines.

I’ve cut away all the irrelevant details on the greaves and the hip plates, then smoothed and filled them out with green stuff. I’ve gone for a heresy era look with the ribbed feet. I cut away the top front parts of both feet, replaced with green stuff and then added the texture.

For the helmet, I wanted something remeniscent of a plague doctor, with more detail than a standard beaky. I’ve used a piece from Anvil industries called “Raven helmet”, with the addition of an eye augmentation to bring it closer to most apothecary helmets. I’ve got the backpack and Narthecium, though I’m not happy with the position of the arm so I anticipate rebuilding that. Pics so far below...
[Thumb - 66B49B8D-36BA-4F53-A22D-933B66E193AF.jpeg]

[Thumb - 94359638-1014-4BE1-8041-68C4ED8DCCDE.jpeg]

[Thumb - C6FA5E45-8270-4721-9992-A33C36A410C5.jpeg]

[Thumb - 44435A7C-4CC0-4D3C-968A-4B0A53251F52.jpeg]

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in gb
Storm Trooper with Maglight

Bath uk

The scouts look so freaking awesome dude. Slightly annoyed bc now I might have to cut up my space marine kill team to make them true scale. Even though I'm halfway through painting them lol

RIP Colour Sgt Kell. Forever in our hearts.
Click below for plenty guardsmen

Cadian 404th "The Lost Boys" P&M blog

Tutorial:How to make IG packs

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

So the only good bit about being stuck in with manflu...more time to paint! With my extra time I’ve put the arms together for the apothecary.

More importantly...I’ve finally got some paint on the outside of the land raider!!! I’ve decided to follow my usual blending pattern but cutting through on the front will be some stripe markings to break up the front end. I’ve started by separating it out in a base of dark grey which will shade to black, and I will contrast that with the bone colour often used by the blood ravens.

I’ve got a bunch of plastic and green stuff bits that I want to get on there to make it more ornate, but for the most part I want to get the blending nailed first. Still more work to go on that. For now, I’ve got the chapter logo on one door and a book (we know how the blood ravens covet knowledge) mounted on the other door. I’ll be adding more detail to this with green stuff later.

I’ve taken off the Aquila on the front door, which I’ll be replacing with my own plasticard raven.

Sponsons are also made up but I’m keeping them separate for now.
[Thumb - EF30E6CC-ACE6-4AAF-94B3-6A72EEEC347C.jpeg]

[Thumb - 77926FEF-9165-4B7F-AD17-2B498E3B6C8B.jpeg]

[Thumb - 64AC2B1E-9BEA-404A-A1D9-202966C0799C.jpeg]

[Thumb - D8F1290A-82A8-4230-BB40-1516ECDA24A1.jpeg]

[Thumb - 85155292-849C-4C42-8D74-B06B114F5CA3.jpeg]

[Thumb - 92847736-D0AE-44A7-BB37-C797DCFB8D31.jpeg]

[Thumb - 086B37D0-A0B0-46EA-B844-3E14B55180BA.jpeg]

[Thumb - 2859AB26-FECD-421C-BFDA-A49D71FD195B.jpeg]

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

Progress update, back to work and doing piecemeal bits of modelling and painting in between. So, what have I done? All of the scouts have proper trousers now, concealing the plasticard spacers, some green stuff work on the weapons etc to make a fabric wrapped effect, and a camo cloak half folded over instead of the bundled one in the sprue.

I’ve sculpted the belt and a purity seal for the apothecary, and a wing effect shoulder pad, for which I’ve also press moulded the apothecary insignia as my small-scale sculpting skills are not that precise. This I will cut out and add to the shoulder pad soon.

I’ve painted some stripe markings on the land raider to add some character to the front end, and subsequently chipped the paint back to mimic damage and wear. I’ve also added some decorative bits here and there which will get a splash of paint soon. I converted my own pintle mounted multi melta, and using another turret for stormbolter aim to be able to swap between for games.
[Thumb - 47A335D4-070A-484E-A3C0-DE85A484CB99.jpeg]
Green stuff trousers and pistol straps.

[Thumb - FEFD50F1-F99A-4D8E-AA48-544C4BCED874.jpeg]

[Thumb - CE9C38C0-EF8F-48A2-964E-C644A1DC073D.jpeg]

[Thumb - 21DE8985-D79F-46A6-A560-0AD981242BE3.jpeg]
Sculpted winged pauldron

[Thumb - 2CB7F137-F777-42DB-815E-590A6D52FE2C.jpeg]
My first attempt at press moulding...actually pretty chuffed!

[Thumb - B5281153-E311-429E-B1D0-6A1049D0C208.jpeg]
This would be easier with an airbrush...Xmas list?

[Thumb - 8B868937-714D-4FE4-9E86-18D751CBEC0D.jpeg]

[Thumb - 110E0912-E853-4D3D-9DBF-79F1745AF8BC.jpeg]
Damage applied

[Thumb - 16E6F358-15CB-4A5F-960F-A3F87914799D.jpeg]
I prefer chipping this side, better get back to work with that scalpel.

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

Apothecary update, almost ready for paint!!! My press moulded insignia came out well and I’ve added that on, seemed a good finishing touch.
[Thumb - 06347717-29CE-438C-B3A4-48153E6A7B5C.jpeg]

[Thumb - 1590D596-70E2-4477-B6DB-5016FD8241C0.jpeg]

[Thumb - 6A253D7D-0E4B-44B8-9456-335A4EA11F3C.jpeg]

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot

Pittsburgh PA, USA

looks great brother!

The press mold did turn out nicely

Angels of Vengeance P&M Blog

A Tale of 5 Gamers!

Blood Knights Kill Team P&M

Crusade of Vengeance - A Tale of Sacrifce and Brotherhood
www..com/dakkaforum/posts/list/545145.page

Made in gb
Storm Trooper with Maglight

Bath uk

How do you get the vaseline off the models once you have finished sculpting them? I would assume that the vaseline is very difficult to paint over.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/04 12:41:20

RIP Colour Sgt Kell. Forever in our hearts.
Click below for plenty guardsmen

Cadian 404th "The Lost Boys" P&M blog

Tutorial:How to make IG packs

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

Yes it can be a pain, especially with brush paints. A quick rub/scrub with some washing up liquid and soft tooth brushand a rinse helps. However, I have found in general that a spray undercoat/primer actually sticks to it regardless. Either works, ideally I’d rather not use Vaseline but water just doesn’t go as smooth.

I did see on a blog by master of the forge that he was using a blend of green stuff and milliput that can smooth with just water.

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in gb
Storm Trooper with Maglight

Bath uk

I've seen they have something similar to vaseline especially for sculpting, not sure what its called though.
I want to say sculptors lube but that's definetly not right lol

RIP Colour Sgt Kell. Forever in our hearts.
Click below for plenty guardsmen

Cadian 404th "The Lost Boys" P&M blog

Tutorial:How to make IG packs

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

I once read about someone using “personal” lubricant to do it, bit weird but I guess being water based it would dry naturally and any residue would not be oily. Worth a look perhaps as I seem to be doing more and more with green stuff.

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

Sorry it’s been a while, hope it’s not thread necromancy if I pick up my neglected blog. Life has been hectic, getting in the way of my hard earned hobby time. Anyway, moving on...I’ve finally finished painting the Apothecary I built, quite pleased with the result, pics below. C and c welcome.

I’ve also put a bit of time into painting the scout sniper squad, though I’ve not taken nearly enough pictures.
[Thumb - 517BE5EE-024C-4CAC-BF3D-58993E2F0BBF.jpeg]

[Thumb - 8C86AF40-3C39-44C4-9C3F-CC3F63A2981C.jpeg]

[Thumb - 7ACCE1C3-CE8D-4BFB-BC3B-B83852B17EF6.jpeg]

[Thumb - C903AC62-3026-4032-B1B8-8CD09A0C55B8.jpeg]

[Thumb - 209A0BB5-8464-4ECB-82A2-7E6B187DDA81.jpeg]

[Thumb - 70208D1C-19D0-4D5D-8C0B-0AB42B1AC8F4.jpeg]

[Thumb - E60803DF-16FB-431E-9CA1-4A27468D0CC7.jpeg]

[Thumb - 1C27013E-2119-447E-B01C-51428C20AEE9.jpeg]

[Thumb - 2C42CB04-65AD-4A8C-9428-221EE0D04FEB.jpeg]

[Thumb - EDA73117-C4FF-45E4-9197-66A3D03E4DDD.jpeg]

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord

Awesome paint and conversion work. I am all about those vials.

Made in nz
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran

Wellington, NZ

You're getting some real unique miniatures out of your hobbying process! I think this stuff is really cool. I've never seen an apothecary paint scheme done like that before, but I really dig it! Cool stuff. Consider me subscribed, i'm eager to see what's in the pipeline

___________________ Check out my Ultramarines P&M Blog!___________________

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

youwashock wrote:Awesome paint and conversion work. I am all about those vials.

Thanks, was my first go at them and really pleased with how it’s turned out.

lipsdapips wrote:You're getting some real unique miniatures out of your hobbying process! I think this stuff is really cool. I've never seen an apothecary paint scheme done like that before, but I really dig it! Cool stuff. Consider me subscribed, i'm eager to see what's in the pipeline

Thanks! I can’t take full credit for the paint scheme, there have been others similar, but I wanted to take my own direction with the apothecary, as with the rest. The goal is a unique army so I’m glad it looks that way. Finishing up all my half painted bits and then I’ll be on some new stuff

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine

Uk

Some work in progress on the scouts. I wanted to achieve something a little unique, and steer away from both the GW scout heads and bright colours. I don’t care how elite a space marine neophyte is, a sniper should be HARD to see, and why risk your head, you only get one. With that in mind, I still wanted these guys to fit with the rest of my army. Heads are from Anvil Industries.

I went for an almost multicam colour scheme, with just the armour showing any relateable colour to the blood ravens. The cloaks are a base of Karak Stone with square(ish) flecks of Zandri Dust, Ogryn Camo and a blend of Mournfang Brown and Zandri dust. Highlighted with a slight dry brush of ushabti bone and then a wash of Aggrax earth shade.

With the boots and gauntlets I wanted them to look weathered, with bits of the plating beneath showing through. Hopefully I’ll finish these soon.
[Thumb - 67D2B541-4C77-4E33-B952-9D193945A052.jpeg]

[Thumb - A3B4B419-F442-4389-8F80-867C90FC0A08.jpeg]

[Thumb - 1181559C-9638-4AFF-BEBB-FC289E4192DB.jpeg]

[Thumb - 9FD8C46A-D3E4-4445-95F2-96F69DC1A785.jpeg]

[Thumb - BF8A7399-71B3-4374-B947-E70376C53E92.jpeg]

[Thumb - 67ECC927-398B-4BC2-BA26-10871471AA42.jpeg]

[Thumb - ABD28F10-74ED-4F9D-86FD-D6CE58F18EBB.jpeg]

[Thumb - E5DBDAD0-6989-41B8-AC20-3B4CEB0F284A.jpeg]

[Thumb - 6CC0CA17-4CD3-42A7-96AF-D10DEFAEFAE7.jpeg]

[Thumb - B8CA7A1A-9715-4CB4-A534-56E22A798FFD.jpeg]

[Thumb - F27214FD-A68F-41DC-965B-E3F5CC9B6B42.jpeg]

[Thumb - 3E261E45-E579-486A-8458-ACC94D1DD221.jpeg]

[Thumb - 3761E894-789F-465A-B33F-1B9481414271.jpeg]

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot

Pittsburgh PA, USA

What heads are you using? They look fantastic.

 Master Azalle wrote:
What heads are you using? They look fantastic.

Thanks, they’re Anvil industries “ops core 2 heads” but the regiments infantry section does loads of heads that would look better than the oversized GW scout heads. I nearly went for Tempestus Scions heads but these have really impressed me. They do some good weapon accessories as well.
[Thumb - 1429F0F9-3C23-4DF4-B1E3-51562FEF80D6.png]

I'm doing my own thing because it's fun. And it takes longer, which means more entertainment value for my cash. So there

Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: