Switch Theme:

Three more Star Wars films. 2022, 2024 and 2026  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Elbows wrote:
I can move on from The Last Jedi...I saw it, hated it, and that's fine.

What I feel compelled to comment against is people actually stating the film was objectively well made or written. That's not a matter of opinion. It's one thing if you say "yeah the film was a mess, but I enjoyed it!". Heck, my favourite film of all time was a massive blockbuster failure.

What's insulting is the continued "well they're just nostalgic fanboys who can't move on!' style of defense. It's akin to the use of the word "troll" and "hater" - an indication that you're unable to actually produce a cogent argument against things being said. I'm not a Star Wars nut. I think the original films were fine, but nothing particularly special. I critique The Last Jedi as a normal movie-goer.

Judging by some of the posts in this thread, I'd assume I watched a different film than some people - some very outlandish statements of praise have been made. You can like a bad movie, that's fine. That's the very reason cult classic films exist, etc. But to falsely defend something as a well-written and well made film is borderline silly.


Agreed - its very sad that the critics of the film attack the film, whilst often the people defending it attack the person. Its not needed.

If the new films are actually going to be either a whole new thing or conversely go back to a fun adventure series - then it could be good or at least enjoyable.

If they go with the terrible writting, poor plots, pathetic characterisation and tedious pacing of TLJ with the only justiifcaiton beting "oh iits gak - yeah but wow that just so subversive" then its going to be awful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/15 20:40:15


"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine





Mr. Morden: attack all the "paid critics" who gave the film good reviews ad nauseum bs without any sort of evidence to support the claim

Mr. Morden: "it's a shame that the critics of the film attack the film and all the people defending it attack the person."

Uh huh. Good call, such a shame...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/15 23:25:15


Help me, Rhonda. HA! 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

The problem with Leia using the force to get back to the ship is that her ability comes out of nowhere. There is nothing earlier to establish she ever went anywhere with her abilities.

Space is actually not that big of a deal, people do not explode, nor would they go all Total Recall on Mars. Studies show you will die of asphyxiation before anything else, unless you can somehow hold your breath long enough to freeze to death. Other than the lack of air, space is just a much worse case of exposure to freezing temps, as far as your fragile membranes like the lips and eyes are concerned.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/15 23:30:25




"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine





1) Hadn't it been established that the force is, in part, inherited?
2) Hadn't Yoda hinted at it with his "there is another"?
3) the amount of energy to pull yourself somewhere in a null gravity environment is pretty small. Think the amount of pressure you put on a pen when writing https://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-4026/noord29.html
4) when faced with near death experience trauma, people can do some pretty remarkable things. That paired with 1-3 above, says to me that people who point to "flying Leia" as a problem with the film have too much time and too little thought on their hands. There are many things to criticize the film about, that is a silly one.

Help me, Rhonda. HA! 
   
Made in us
Blood-Drenched Death Company Marine




 Elbows wrote:
I can move on from The Last Jedi...I saw it, hated it, and that's fine.

What I feel compelled to comment against is people actually stating the film was objectively well made or written. That's not a matter of opinion. It's one thing if you say "yeah the film was a mess, but I enjoyed it!". Heck, my favourite film of all time was a massive blockbuster failure.

What's insulting is the continued "well they're just nostalgic fanboys who can't move on!' style of defense. It's akin to the use of the word "troll" and "hater" - an indication that you're unable to actually produce a cogent argument against things being said. I'm not a Star Wars nut. I think the original films were fine, but nothing particularly special. I critique The Last Jedi as a normal movie-goer.

Judging by some of the posts in this thread, I'd assume I watched a different film than some people - some very outlandish statements of praise have been made. You can like a bad movie, that's fine. That's the very reason cult classic films exist, etc. But to falsely defend something as a well-written and well made film is borderline silly.


 bbb wrote:
 Crimson Devil wrote:
It was divisive. The reasons for that is what we are dancing around because some people can't be honest with themselves and admit it. The hyperbolic bs excuses for why they hated it don't help at all.


This is exactly part of the problem that isn't helping. "I liked it because it was good and you hated it because you are bad." Is the kind of white-knighting that doesn't help.




No. You don't like it because it wasn't made for just you. I didn't like the prequels for the same reason. Let the new generation have THEIR Star Wars.
   
Made in gb
Leutnant




Somerset uk

Having grown up with the original trilogy it’s funny as i seem to be in the minority camp due to the fact that I actually like the prequels.
The only one that i do struggle with is attack of the clones. Now I love me some clone wars and everything clone war related but just found the film very tiring at times.

Now getting back to the point of the thread, i really can’t wait to see where Star Wars is taken. Old republic would be cool, hell something base on the Rogue squadron novels would be unreal but the chances of that are slim.
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine





 xKillGorex wrote:
Having grown up with the original trilogy it’s funny as i seem to be in the minority camp due to the fact that I actually like the prequels.
The only one that i do struggle with is attack of the clones. Now I love me some clone wars and everything clone war related but just found the film very tiring at times.

Now getting back to the point of the thread, i really can’t wait to see where Star Wars is taken. Old republic would be cool, hell something base on the Rogue squadron novels would be unreal but the chances of that are slim.


That response was...refreshing. Good on you for not taking internet spite as gospel and just watching them. They are what they are. You like them or you don't. There are objective qualities about them, but "good" or "bad" is never a quality one looks for with objectivity. Some people here evidently disagree. I guess that would be their subjective opinion on what "objectivity " means.

Help me, Rhonda. HA! 
   
Made in gb
Mekboy Hammerin' Somethin'





Dorset, England

Personally I would like a political thriller based around the Gran of Malastare, set against a backdrop of guerrilla warfare against the bloodthirsty Dug to be the next Star Wars film, unfortunately Disney would never do something so interesting!
   
Made in ie
Norn Queen






Dublin, Ireland

Im with killgore on this one, I thought the prequels were ok.
Not good, not bad, just ok.
But I definitely didnt loathe them or anything.

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Biggest problem for me with TPM is Jar Jar and Anakin.

And that's not really on the actors, but the director. The way Jake Lloyd delivered his lines was just flat, and awful. You'd think someone would've got him a coach - or just recast him.

Given how young he was, I don't stand for anyone knocking the poor kid.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:Biggest problem for me with TPM is Jar Jar and Anakin.

And that's not really on the actors, but the director. The way Jake Lloyd delivered his lines was just flat, and awful. You'd think someone would've got him a coach - or just recast him.

Given how young he was, I don't stand for anyone knocking the poor kid.


I feel so bad for Jake Lloyd. I think he did the best he could do, but I blame Lucas for that. Cast a little bit older so you can find someone with more experience and who you can use for the whole prequel trilogy and then maybe the result would have been better.

Crimson Devil wrote:
 Elbows wrote:

 bbb wrote:
 Crimson Devil wrote:
It was divisive. The reasons for that is what we are dancing around because some people can't be honest with themselves and admit it. The hyperbolic bs excuses for why they hated it don't help at all.


This is exactly part of the problem that isn't helping. "I liked it because it was good and you hated it because you are bad." Is the kind of white-knighting that doesn't help.




No. You don't like it because it wasn't made for just you. I didn't like the prequels for the same reason. Let the new generation have THEIR Star Wars.


Thank you for telling me how I actually feel. That was incredibly insightful and touched me deeply...

That being said, I think you're just trolling at this point. Anyway, I have two kids who I would like to enjoy Star Wars, but I would also like the Star Wars they enjoy to be good (they don't enjoy movies, so it's been a losing battle). Disney is a massive company with decades of story telling experience.In all those years something they haven't done is make quality serialized entertainment (outside of some of their Disney Afternoon shows). This is massively on display with how they've handled Star Wars so far.

Back to the topic at hand and the new trilogy they are working on. Starting from scratch is a good idea. Getting people on board who have experience with massively popular serialized storytelling is a good idea. That being said, they have alienated a big section of their audience. They may have an uphill battle to recapture hearts and minds, but we'll see what they make. Given the way I've heard people complain about this last season of GoT, I wouldn't get too excited.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/16 11:15:05


 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






I also feel that TPM just started too far back in Anakin's history - or at least spent too long there.

It meant the next two movies had a lot of ground to cover. Had the Clones Wars series not been made, I think I'd still be mostly 'meh' about the prequels. But it was, and it did a bang up job of really showing Palpatine's rise, and Anakin's fall.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
In terms of DD and GoT?

I'm minded to cut them a lot of slack. They started out their adaptation with solid groundwork done. But eventually, that dried up.

They're then left in the unpleasant situation of trying to finish someone else's story, whilst making it still broadly feel like that person's story. That's mighty tough. And whilst Season 8 isn't what I hoped? Well, I don't know that anyone could've done it any better, because of the core issue.

With Star Wars, it's their story from the outset. They're free to map out a three movie arc, and decided where each leaves off and picks up. That's far more creative freedom than adapting the works of A.N.Other.

Indeed, I'd urge people to look at what they do well - they can introduce politics to a situation. They do big battle scenes really well. And all on a relatively small budget, compared to Hollywood epics.

So without being simply mindless praise, I think they've shown they've got the chops for the job - and their failings so far aren't entirely of their own making.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/16 11:31:48


Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Gordon Shumway wrote:
Mr. Morden: attack all the "paid critics" who gave the film good reviews ad nauseum bs without any sort of evidence to support the claim

Mr. Morden: "it's a shame that the critics of the film attack the film and all the people defending it attack the person."

Uh huh. Good call, such a shame...


Just call it how I see it - given that the almost universal opinion of critics was undying worship and the reaction of viewers who pay to watch the film rather than being paid to watch it was highly polarised I do not believe that this is not highly suspicious hence my view that influence or bribary paid a part. I do not say anything about people who went to see it on their own bat adn their own expense. I will declare that I consider the whole idea of professional critics as a unpleasent parastical element.

In contrast - those who declare that they did not like TLJ AND give often comprehensive reasons relating to the various elements that they don't like are often told one or more of the following:

* You don't understand it - "we" do but your too blinkered or stupid to appreciate such glorious art - why do you even post about something your not worthy to view.
* You don't know why you hate it - I will tell why you hate it and why you are a bad person.
* You are [a [Neckbeard]] or other insults
* It has to be good because the crticis said so and you should just shut and be told what your should like or dislike
* I want to discuss the film but only if you like it - if not you should not post as thats destroying the good name fo such a godllike film.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/05/16 11:40:09


"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






It wasn't undying worship though?

They said there were bits likely to divide existing fans, but it's otherwise a fun film, which tries something a little different.

That's not undying worship. Nor a sign of anyone being threatened, bribed or cajoled to say something nice?

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in nl
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I also feel that TPM just started too far back in Anakin's history - or at least spent too long there.

It meant the next two movies had a lot of ground to cover. Had the Clones Wars series not been made, I think I'd still be mostly 'meh' about the prequels. But it was, and it did a bang up job of really showing Palpatine's rise, and Anakin's fall.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
In terms of DD and GoT?

I'm minded to cut them a lot of slack. They started out their adaptation with solid groundwork done. But eventually, that dried up.

They're then left in the unpleasant situation of trying to finish someone else's story, whilst making it still broadly feel like that person's story. That's mighty tough. And whilst Season 8 isn't what I hoped? Well, I don't know that anyone could've done it any better, because of the core issue.

With Star Wars, it's their story from the outset. They're free to map out a three movie arc, and decided where each leaves off and picks up. That's far more creative freedom than adapting the works of A.N.Other.

Indeed, I'd urge people to look at what they do well - they can introduce politics to a situation. They do big battle scenes really well. And all on a relatively small budget, compared to Hollywood epics.

So without being simply mindless praise, I think they've shown they've got the chops for the job - and their failings so far aren't entirely of their own making.


Or they could go completely the opposite way as well - since the first few seasons of GoT show they evidently also have a great talent for adapting an existing work to screen, they could pick out a specific tale from the EU's Old Republic era and adapt it in its entirely, and since those tales are fully complete there wouldn't be a big shift in the middle when they're suddenly trying to adapt another writer's themes and tone rather than their actual words.

I don't have any issue with D&D, but I won't get excited for the new films until we know the extent Rian Johnson is involved in them - not because he's Satan or whatever, but because I don't care for his work in relation to Star Wars and given his reactions to criticisms of TLJ I don't think he's learned any lessons from it(indeed, I think polarising the audience is something he considers a good thing, he has that juvenile "artiste" attitude that if something isn't controversial it's not really art). I also don't think Kennedy will rein him in because her style is to enable directors not steer them, it's why she's so singularly unsuited to overseeing the kind of interconnected universe that Star Wars has become since they got rid of Lucas' "canon hierarchy" idea - she's the anti-Feige.

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
It wasn't undying worship though?

They said there were bits likely to divide existing fans, but it's otherwise a fun film, which tries something a little different.

That's not undying worship. Nor a sign of anyone being threatened, bribed or cajoled to say something nice?


While I don't go as far as Morden in my view of paid critics(I do think, as has been repeatedly demonstrated by the much more overt situation with games media, that critics can moderate their actual views - perhaps even unconsciously - when the price of a truly honest opinion shared would be access and ad revenues), if you really think most critics restricted themselves to such anodyne praise then you must only get your movie reviews from actual physical broadsheet newspapers. Online media(ie, the vast majority of it these days) frequently portrayed the film as a triumph, a revolution, an unqualified success, and any criticism of it from the fanbase as motivated by atavistic bigotry and nostalgia alone.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in ca
Missionary On A Mission






 Mr Morden wrote:
In contrast - those who declare that they did not like TLJ AND give often comprehensive reasons relating to the various elements that they don't like are often told one or more of the following:

* You don't understand it - "we" do but your too blinkered or stupid to appreciate such glorious art - why do you even post about something your not worthy to view.
* You don't know why you hate it - I will tell why you hate it and why you are a bad person.
* You are [a [Neckbeard]] or other insults
* It has to be good because the crticis said so and you should just shut and be told what your should like or dislike
* I want to discuss the film but only if you like it - if not you should not post as thats destroying the good name fo such a godllike film.


Fun list. I'm going to throw in another one. Just because I suspect that maybe, just maybe, it's relevant to this specific thread:

* The topic at hand is not The Last Jedi.

And... Yeah, if you're sensing a bit of resentment here on my part perhaps we can examine why: We aren't allowed to discuss Star Wars here, unless we're parroting your opinions on The Last Jedi. We can't talk about Disney's incorporating Star Wars into its theme parks without hearing someone's unsolicited top five hated scenes in the Last Jedi. No news related to Star Wars can pass by without yet another hot take on The Last Jedi. No faint praise, no errant comment can be allowed to pass without a pages long lecture about just how wrong they are to dare think it has any kind of merit at all.

I am speaking as someone who did not like The Last Jedi: you need to get over it.

If that means hashing out your complaints in a thread that's actually about The Last Jedi, go do it! If it means writing off the sequel trilogy and skipping out on the next movies, like I did after Attack of the Clones when I was in high school, do that! If it means walking away from the franchise forever, like so many TLJ critics insist they are doing, then do it! Its been a year and a half the time for derailing every tangently related thread is long over.

Frankly I would much rather discuss items related to the items outlined in the OP, such as the showrunners of this new trilogy appearing to gak the bed worse and worse with each episode of GoT.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/05/16 15:36:06


   
Made in nl
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Captain Joystick wrote:
 Mr Morden wrote:
In contrast - those who declare that they did not like TLJ AND give often comprehensive reasons relating to the various elements that they don't like are often told one or more of the following:

* You don't understand it - "we" do but your too blinkered or stupid to appreciate such glorious art - why do you even post about something your not worthy to view.
* You don't know why you hate it - I will tell why you hate it and why you are a bad person.
* You are [a [Neckbeard]] or other insults
* It has to be good because the crticis said so and you should just shut and be told what your should like or dislike
* I want to discuss the film but only if you like it - if not you should not post as thats destroying the good name fo such a godllike film.


Fun list. I'm going to throw in another one. Just because I suspect that maybe, just maybe, it's relevant to this specific thread:

* The topic at hand is not The Last Jedi.

And... Yeah, if you're sensing a bit of resentment here on my part perhaps we can examine why: We aren't allowed to discuss Star Wars here, unless we're parroting your opinions on The Last Jedi. We can't talk about Disney's incorporating Star Wars into its theme parks without hearing someone's unsolicited top five hated scenes in the Last Jedi. No news related to Star Wars can pass by without yet another hot take on The Last Jedi. No faint praise, no errant comment can be allowed to pass without a pages long lecture about just how wrong they are to dare think it has any kind of merit at all.

I am speaking as someone who did not like The Last Jedi: you need to get over it.

If that means hashing out your complaints in a thread that's actually about The Last Jedi, go do it! If it means writing off the sequel trilogy and skipping out on the next movies, like I did after Attack of the Clones when I was in high school, do that! If it means walking away from the franchise forever, like so many TLJ critics insist they are doing, then do it! Its been a year and a half the time for derailing every tangently related thread is long over.

Frankly I would much rather discuss items related to the items outlined in the OP, such as the showrunners of this new trilogy appearing to gak the bed worse and worse with each episode of GoT.


TLJ and people's opinions of it will continue to be relevant to discussions of the future of the franchise while the people responsible for making it continue to be the people in charge of the future of the franchise. You can find it as annoying as you like, but providing it's being discussed in that context it's on-topic and you'll just have to live with it.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Captain Joystick wrote:
 Mr Morden wrote:
In contrast - those who declare that they did not like TLJ AND give often comprehensive reasons relating to the various elements that they don't like are often told one or more of the following:

* You don't understand it - "we" do but your too blinkered or stupid to appreciate such glorious art - why do you even post about something your not worthy to view.
* You don't know why you hate it - I will tell why you hate it and why you are a bad person.
* You are [a [Neckbeard]] or other insults
* It has to be good because the crticis said so and you should just shut and be told what your should like or dislike
* I want to discuss the film but only if you like it - if not you should not post as thats destroying the good name fo such a godllike film.


Fun list. I'm going to throw in another one. Just because I suspect that maybe, just maybe, it's relevant to this specific thread:

* The topic at hand is not The Last Jedi.

And... Yeah, if you're sensing a bit of resentment here on my part perhaps we can examine why: We aren't allowed to discuss Star Wars here, unless we're parroting your opinions on The Last Jedi. We can't talk about Disney's incorporating Star Wars into its theme parks without hearing someone's unsolicited top five hated scenes in the Last Jedi. No news related to Star Wars can pass by without yet another hot take on The Last Jedi. No faint praise, no errant comment can be allowed to pass without a pages long lecture about just how wrong they are to dare think it has any kind of merit at all.

I am speaking as someone who did not like The Last Jedi: you need to get over it.

If that means hashing out your complaints in a thread that's actually about The Last Jedi, go do it! If it means writing off the sequel trilogy and skipping out on the next movies, like I did after Attack of the Clones when I was in high school, do that! If it means walking away from the franchise forever, like so many TLJ critics insist they are doing, then do it! Its been a year and a half the time for derailing every tangently related thread is long over.

Frankly I would much rather discuss items related to the items outlined in the OP, such as the showrunners of this new trilogy appearing to gak the bed worse and worse with each episode of GoT.


I am, as far as I am aware allowed to post here if it relevant to the subject - this is relevant.

I also sugested ways that the new three films could be good and interesting and would appeal - again relevant.

Complaining about what people post in a thread is more borderline relevance?

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in jp
[MOD]
Anti-piracy Officer






Somewhere in southern England.

I speak as someone who did like TLJ and I agree with Captain Joystick.

It seems as if we can't have a Star Wars thread about anything without resurrecting the zombie argument about whether it was a good film or not.

Let's just leave it alone and concentrate on the future films.

Petition to stop ratification of EU Article 13 on Internet Copyright

We're not very big on official rules. Rules lead to people looking for loopholes. What's here is about it. 
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker





Scotland

What I can't understand is why Disney pays a substantial amount of money for Star Wars, begins plans to put it in its parks but doesn't bother to lay the groundwork for the new trilogy. The OT was created after the surprising success of the first film. The PT was planned as a trilogy and had beats to hit, execution is another matter that I can't be arsed talking about again. The ST has absolutely no excuse to be in the mess only 2 films in. It's a complete non event.
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






 AegisGrimm wrote:
The problem with Leia using the force to get back to the ship is that her ability comes out of nowhere. There is nothing earlier to establish she ever went anywhere with her abilities.

Space is actually not that big of a deal, people do not explode, nor would they go all Total Recall on Mars. Studies show you will die of asphyxiation before anything else, unless you can somehow hold your breath long enough to freeze to death. Other than the lack of air, space is just a much worse case of exposure to freezing temps, as far as your fragile membranes like the lips and eyes are concerned.


Space isn’t even that “cold” in the normal sense. There’s no air or anything for your body heat to transfer to. You’ll suffocate Long before you freeze to death. You’ll actually get one hell of a sunburn depending on where you are in relation to the nearest star.

 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Gordon Shumway wrote:
1) Hadn't it been established that the force is, in part, inherited?
2) Hadn't Yoda hinted at it with his "there is another"?
3) the amount of energy to pull yourself somewhere in a null gravity environment is pretty small. Think the amount of pressure you put on a pen when writing https://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-4026/noord29.html
4) when faced with near death experience trauma, people can do some pretty remarkable things. That paired with 1-3 above, says to me that people who point to "flying Leia" as a problem with the film have too much time and too little thought on their hands. There are many things to criticize the film about, that is a silly one.


She also "sensed" Han's death in the last movie, letting us think that she could use the Force, at least a little bit.
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






epronovost wrote:
 Gordon Shumway wrote:
1) Hadn't it been established that the force is, in part, inherited?
2) Hadn't Yoda hinted at it with his "there is another"?
3) the amount of energy to pull yourself somewhere in a null gravity environment is pretty small. Think the amount of pressure you put on a pen when writing https://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-4026/noord29.html
4) when faced with near death experience trauma, people can do some pretty remarkable things. That paired with 1-3 above, says to me that people who point to "flying Leia" as a problem with the film have too much time and too little thought on their hands. There are many things to criticize the film about, that is a silly one.


She also "sensed" Han's death in the last movie, letting us think that she could use the Force, at least a little bit.


Isn’t she also the one who heard Luke calling for help from under Cloud City in the OT or am I misremembering that?

 
   
Made in gb
Assassin with Black Lotus Poison




Bristol

 AduroT wrote:
epronovost wrote:
 Gordon Shumway wrote:
1) Hadn't it been established that the force is, in part, inherited?
2) Hadn't Yoda hinted at it with his "there is another"?
3) the amount of energy to pull yourself somewhere in a null gravity environment is pretty small. Think the amount of pressure you put on a pen when writing https://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-4026/noord29.html
4) when faced with near death experience trauma, people can do some pretty remarkable things. That paired with 1-3 above, says to me that people who point to "flying Leia" as a problem with the film have too much time and too little thought on their hands. There are many things to criticize the film about, that is a silly one.


She also "sensed" Han's death in the last movie, letting us think that she could use the Force, at least a little bit.


Isn’t she also the one who heard Luke calling for help from under Cloud City in the OT or am I misremembering that?
Yup, she heard him calling out to her and knew exactly where he was and got Lando to turn atound and go get him (with some "encouragement" from Chewie).

The Laws of Thermodynamics:
1) You cannot win. 2) You cannot break even. 3) You cannot stop playing the game.

Colonel Flagg wrote:You think you're real smart. But you're not smart; you're dumb. Very dumb. But you've met your match in me.
 
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch





Dallas area, TX

Regarding TLJ: I still can't decided if I liked it or not. Visuals were good, Rey/Kylo fight was cool, Ghost Yoda was a nice cameo.
But all the "subverted expectations" were not good. They seemed to be there for their own sake rather than to give the story any deeper meaning.
But there are several way "Rise of Skywalker" can alter our perspective of what happened in TLJ, so I'll hold judgment until I see it.

Regarding Flying Leia: of all the unbelievable things in SW, this didn't bother me. It seemed totally believable within the established rules of the movies. Leia has force powers, even if under developed.
I did think it looked a bit goofy though and given Carrie Fisher's passing IRL, it seemed like they could have edited it to be the end for Leia and kept Luke alive at the end to round out the Trilogy.
But I suppose it's good they didn't since that wouldn't have seemed right to alter her last performance from what she actually did. And we'd miss out on the Luke/Leia interaction at the end, which was a tender moment.

Still not happy that Luke is gone, but if they can manage to have him in IX as a Force ghost WITH Yoda, Anakin and hopefully Obi-wan, it might be worth it.
I just really, REALLY wanna see an interaction between Force ghost Anakin and Kylo Ren.

-

   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I also feel that TPM just started too far back in Anakin's history - or at least spent too long there.


I'll bring up the fan-made cut that reduces the Prequel films down to a single movie, is bizarrely better than all three movies combined for the effort, and only uses about 15 minutes of footage from TPM.

TPM was literally a waste of a movie.

   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch





Dallas area, TX

 LordofHats wrote:
 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I also feel that TPM just started too far back in Anakin's history - or at least spent too long there.


I'll bring up the fan-made cut that reduces the Prequel films down to a single movie, is bizarrely better than all three movies combined for the effort, and only uses about 15 minutes of footage from TPM.

TPM was literally a waste of a movie.
I've heard of this fabled fan-cut. I need to check this out. I've always enjoyed TPM, mostly for the colors and Darth Maul, but I could easily see it cut down to a 20-30min first act.

My biggest beef with the prequels is that that seem too disconnected from each other with no clear protagonist. IMO if they focused a bit more on Obi-wan as the central character, didn't kill Maul until the 3rd movie and built up the relationship between Anakin and Obi-wan, plus the rivalry between Maul, it would have been a better trilogy

-

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/17 21:34:04


   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Again, Clone Wars does an excellent job of filling those very gaps.

If you’ve not already, you must check it out

Same with Rebels. First season is a bit average. The others are great.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in gb
Leutnant




Somerset uk

I need to go through rebels and watch all of them. Loved the clone wars and have enjoyed sitting down with the two little ones watching resistance.

Yeah I know that ones not for everyone but looking forward to the second season for sure.
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Still haven’t seen Resistance.

Hopefully it’ll come to DVD soon, and I can catch up.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: