Switch Theme:

Captain Brown Builds Terrain, Old School Necromunda and other Things...working on Acid pools.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in fi
Shrieking Guardian Jetbiker





Finland, Espoo

That looks so great!

Always nice to see terrain made out of an assortment of random household stuff.

   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

youwashock wrote:Man, that is too cool.

Thanks youwashock
kestral wrote:Top notch terrain - you've come a long way in 4 pages, in a manner of speaking.

Thank you kestrel...I have so much more to do and so many ideas still to try and implement.
Theophony wrote:Great work . If you leave the wheel movable then you could mark one tooth on the cog and use it for a turn counter by turning it .

Thanks Theophony, never thought of that...although it would be so small and my gaming groups is getting along in years there would be complaints they could not see which turn the game was at.
Ezki wrote:That looks so great!

Always nice to see terrain made out of an assortment of random household stuff.

Thank you Ezki

So with primer:


Spoiler:

Spoiler:


First layer of paint. You can see that the valve wheel has already come off...:(


Spoiler:


Many more layers of highlights and then weathering to go.

The long painting and converting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in gb
Raging-on-the-Inside Blood Angel Sergeant






Looks a great first coat of paint. It’s going to look fantastic when it’s done. It’s already hard to identify the original components

Goberts Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog, now with added Blackstone Fortress 
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut






Sorry about the valve wheel, but looking good, excited to see it completely painted up!
   
Made in us
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets





Houston, TX

It’s already looking great just with the progress so far. I love the cat pic! It’s good to have a painting buddy.

Xhorik 87th Drop Troops P&M blog https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/775655.page

Project log and campaign featuring Orks, Imperial Guard, Marines, Tyranids: http://www.xhorikwar.blogspot.com/
Currently focused on our Horus Heresy campaign with White Scars, Death Guard and Imperial Militia.  
   
Made in us
Preacher of the Emperor





Denver, CO, USA

Looking great! I think you found a nice balance of found objects and actual wargaming bits. The lamps and railing give some nice detail and texture without seeming out of step with the rest of it.

   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

Thank you gobert, Viterbi, The Riddle of Steel and MacPhail,

So with some weathering.







The long painting and converting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Posts with Authority





Boston-area [Watertown] Massachusetts

The 'gubbins/greebles work is what really sets these apart. Great use of basic forms and commercial pieces!

Falling down is the same as being hit by a planet — "I paint to the 20 foot rule, it saves a lot of time." -- Me
ddogwood wrote:People who feel the need to cheat at Warhammer deserve pity, not anger. I mean, how pathetic does your life have to be to make you feel like you need to cheat at your toy army soldiers game?
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






All that rust is beautiful. Great piece.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

Briancj wrote:The 'gubbins/greebles work is what really sets these apart. Great use of basic forms and commercial pieces!

Thank you Briancj
youwashock wrote:All that rust is beautiful. Great piece.

Thanks youwashock

Last shots before the next project.







The long painting and converting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut





Germany

Great piece of terrain. Superb paintjob. Very well done.

Cheers, Max.
   
Made in us
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller





Va

You are doing some cool things with all this scenery. Cool to see hand made scenery as I think a lot of us have gotten spoilt by GWs scenery kits.


Check out my Deadzone/40k/necromunda blog here! 
   
Made in ca
Wicked Canoptek Wraith






Looks great!

   
Made in us
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets





Houston, TX

I like the light greenish color of the tanks (rather than going all grey) and the drybrush highlighting is effective. The rust finishes it off nicely and adds a nice contrast. Great work.

Xhorik 87th Drop Troops P&M blog https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/775655.page

Project log and campaign featuring Orks, Imperial Guard, Marines, Tyranids: http://www.xhorikwar.blogspot.com/
Currently focused on our Horus Heresy campaign with White Scars, Death Guard and Imperial Militia.  
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

Now some old metal Necromunda Eschers for my Final Boss entry into the Unofficial Monthly Painting Challenge.
Meet the Gang Leader Drusilla and her Henchwoman Blue the final foes that you must defeat to get the gang's stash from their base.







Comments always welcome.

The long painting and converting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut






Those gals look really 80s in the best possible way and esp. in combination with your terrain!
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut







Looks like you've been making some good progress, Captain - and the metal Escher still stand up as great sculpts.

2019 Plog - Dysartes Twitches - 2019 Output

My Twitch stream - going live at 7pm GMT Tuesday & Thursday, 12pm Sunday (work permitting).

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.
 
   
Made in us
Preacher of the Emperor





Denver, CO, USA

Really nice work on your painting contest entry this month! And, I'm keeping tabs on your terrain builds and picturing the industrial sector that's developing. I'm super keen to watch your LoER entry come together. Once that's done, I imagine you're hitting critical mass... any chance we get an in-game photo or at least a good staged shot? Whenever it works, but sign me up as an interested party if you're keeping tabs. Great work all around!

   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

Viterbi wrote:Those gals look really 80s in the best possible way and esp. in combination with your terrain!

Thank you Viterbi
Dysartes wrote:Looks like you've been making some good progress, Captain - and the metal Escher still stand up as great sculpts.

Thanks Dysartes
MacPhail wrote:Really nice work on your painting contest entry this month! And, I'm keeping tabs on your terrain builds and picturing the industrial sector that's developing. I'm super keen to watch your LoER entry come together. Once that's done, I imagine you're hitting critical mass... any chance we get an in-game photo or at least a good staged shot? Whenever it works, but sign me up as an interested party if you're keeping tabs. Great work all around!

Thanks MacPhail,

We fool ourselves into thinking we are finished...and yet there always seems to be new projects that need to be finished. Like this one, just a damaged gang box I replaced with a new one to make a dimmer. Cut off some of the nail guides and sanded it then added some bits.







The long painting and converting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Nice work on the ladies. The tiger stripes are a classic touch. Good luck in the comp!
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Nicely done on those Eshers for the painting challenge. Love the pink you've used on the hair, what was the recipe?
New building is coming on well
   
Made in us
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets





Houston, TX

I love the interesting shapes you can get with an electrical box. The light above the doors and the caged window are nice touches that bring it to life. That should make a nice piece when its painted.

Xhorik 87th Drop Troops P&M blog https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/775655.page

Project log and campaign featuring Orks, Imperial Guard, Marines, Tyranids: http://www.xhorikwar.blogspot.com/
Currently focused on our Horus Heresy campaign with White Scars, Death Guard and Imperial Militia.  
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

youwashock wrote:Nice work on the ladies. The tiger stripes are a classic touch. Good luck in the comp!

Thank you youwashock.

Maharg wrote:Nicely done on those Eshers for the painting challenge. Love the pink you've used on the hair, what was the recipe?
New building is coming on well

Thank you Maharg,
Since I had no pink and the pink I normally borrow was not available as Morgen (gaming buddy in my group) was out of town I had to mix it myself. Combination of a little blue, white and red, slowly working to almost pure white.

The Riddle of Steel wrote:I love the interesting shapes you can get with an electrical box. The light above the doors and the caged window are nice touches that bring it to life. That should make a nice piece when its painted.

Thanks Riddle, and here it is for inspection.







The long painting and converting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller





Va

Another nice looking piece of terrain.

Let me ask, have you thought about how these pieces will interact with each other? Like how you would platforms and walkways between them? Or do you have enough of that kind of stuff and you're just building LOS blockers?


Check out my Deadzone/40k/necromunda blog here! 
   
Made in de
Been Around the Block



Germany

I'm sorry for the quick OT, but I can't see your pictures... AFAIK your's is the only thread, that brings me to face this problem.

Maybe somebody can tell me, what's the problem here...
   
Made in gb
Raging-on-the-Inside Blood Angel Sergeant






Nice hut, I guess there must be quite a few Rhinos missing top hatches on Necromunda. you must have a pretty cool shanty town in your underhive now, will we be treated to a group photo soon?

Goberts Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog, now with added Blackstone Fortress 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

squall018 wrote:Another nice looking piece of terrain.

Let me ask, have you thought about how these pieces will interact with each other? Like how you would platforms and walkways between them? Or do you have enough of that kind of stuff and you're just building LOS blockers?

Thanks squall,
Yes, I have thought about how the terrain will interact with the original Necromunda towers and walkways. I am building enough for two-three boards for simultaneous games. The ground based terrain is for scatter as the original games lacked cover for those poor gangers running around on the ground. It can just as easily end up on 40K table tops for buildings in a City Fight or just regular terrain for other missions.

gobert wrote:Nice hut, I guess there must be quite a few Rhinos missing top hatches on Necromunda. you must have a pretty cool shanty town in your underhive now, will we be treated to a group photo soon?

Thanks gobert,
There will be at some point, likely after the first tower is finished. As for Rhinos, as I made Sister's Rhinos and Immolators and Exorcists I always had left-over top hatches which (while a little big for the small buildings) are great doors.

Latest Escher additions on a blue background.


So the Escher gang in it's finished glory.


Nibbler wrote:I'm sorry for the quick OT, but I can't see your pictures... AFAIK your's is the only thread, that brings me to face this problem.

Maybe somebody can tell me, what's the problem here...

Nibbler,
Can you see this photo of some ruined building scatter terrain?


The long painting and converting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps







I love the greens and blues in the terrain. They really add a lot.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Nice job with the classic Escher as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/03/05 00:25:14


 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

Thank you kestral.

Two more Cawdors finished.



The whole gang so far.


The long painting and converting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Those gang shots are some of the best things around.
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: