Switch Theme:

Space Marines - Upcoming Releases [News: FAQ August 10th]  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 theharrower wrote:
 insaniak wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
 insaniak wrote:
No, because Centurians weren't an obvious attempt to release a rescaled marine line without having to do the entire range at once...
If the plan was to replace the Space Marines line with Primaris Marines, why would they release a codex with the Old Marine rules in it? .

Because the entire point of releasing the Primaris guys as something different is that you dont have to remove the old range and completely replace it.

This way, they can release Primaris kits at a reasonable rate, slowly fleshing out the range while they sell through remaining stocks of the existing kits. As the old kits sell down, I suspect that they'll be quietly retired, and once the Primaris range is completely fleshed out, they'll simply become the standard for marine armies.

Given how much of the current marine range relies on the same parts, it's a clever way of going about rescaling your range without having to do it all at once.


Exactly this. Primaris Marines are what Space Marines should have been all along. They have 2 wounds, their base bolter has an AP value, and the fluff has reasons built in for existing marines to become Primaris Marines. Bobby G. created a whole new founding and not only supplemented existing armies with Primaris Marines, entire new Chapters have sprung up.

GW reached the end of the Space Marines line. They couldn't just keep retooling what they had as people always bitched about how "x" wasn't in the Codex Astartes. Going the way they were going gave us stupid units like the Centurions and fill ins vehicles like the Stalker. Now everything is wide open and they can surprise us again with updated kits.

So yes. Vanilla Marines are getting replaced eventually. Everything points to that fact. Sure, they'll tell us they won't pull the plug, but that's essentially what they are doing. It's just going to be a slow process over the next few years/editions. Will there eventually be a point when a Space Marine Codex is released without the older marines, maybe not, but that doesn't mean the line isn't effectively going away. About time too. The line had a great run for many many years. I'm excited to see what they do going forward as it can be something new instead of "look new Tactical squad now with Grav!" I'll still build and paint up my "old" marines. I really don't see what the problem is.


that or they focus the new kits MOSTLY on Primaris Marines continuing to support the old stuff, and maybe giving us new stuff mostly from the heresy (such as I could see them in a future HH stand alone game giving us an outrider squadron)

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Tinkering Tech-Priest




Oakland, CA

I must say that Primaris Marines have saved me an enormous amount of time trying to bash together "true scale" Marines.

From that perspective, they're brilliant.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Steelcity

The problem with primaris marines is that they completely go against the established fluff of the space marines. Guilliman basically threw his codex away a few years after he finished it, since to him time stayed still.

GW could have made a ton of easy cash if they released a 5-10 primaris box with every current normal space marine close combat and ranged weapon so those that wanted to convert a brand new true scale army would buy it.. and those that wanted to use the absurd new fluff could make a primaris army

But nope, we got the worst of both worlds due to some dogmatic decision to follow the stormcasts eternal release strategy. Even worse is that gw decided they didn't want veterans money.

Warhammer Armies - Click to see galleries of fully painted armies
22,000, 15,000, 13,000 Renegades - 10,000 6,000, 7,500, Skaven - 5,500,  
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 schoon wrote:
I must say that Primaris Marines have saved me an enormous amount of time trying to bash together "true scale" Marines.

From that perspective, they're brilliant.


Out of curiosity, do you do "Truescale" Eldar, Necrons, Orks and such too? After all, all of those are in the fluff roughly marine height one way or the other.
   
Made in us
Prophetic Blood Angel Librarian





Sioux Falls, SD

 Kirasu wrote:
The problem with primaris marines is that they completely go against the established fluff of the space marines. Guilliman basically threw his codex away a few years after he finished it, since to him time stayed still.

GW could have made a ton of easy cash if they released a 5-10 primaris box with every current normal space marine close combat and ranged weapon so those that wanted to convert a brand new true scale army would buy it.. and those that wanted to use the absurd new fluff could make a primaris army

But nope, we got the worst of both worlds due to some dogmatic decision to follow the stormcasts eternal release strategy. Even worse is that gw decided they didn't want veterans money.
Wasn't Guilliman's intention with the Codex Astartes to have it form the basis of Space Marine warfare, not to have it be a rigid structure that Space Marines should adhere to?

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in us
Hard-Wired Sentinel Pilot




 casvalremdeikun wrote:
 Kirasu wrote:
The problem with primaris marines is that they completely go against the established fluff of the space marines. Guilliman basically threw his codex away a few years after he finished it, since to him time stayed still.

GW could have made a ton of easy cash if they released a 5-10 primaris box with every current normal space marine close combat and ranged weapon so those that wanted to convert a brand new true scale army would buy it.. and those that wanted to use the absurd new fluff could make a primaris army

But nope, we got the worst of both worlds due to some dogmatic decision to follow the stormcasts eternal release strategy. Even worse is that gw decided they didn't want veterans money.
Wasn't Guilliman's intention with the Codex Astartes to have it form the basis of Space Marine warfare, not to have it be a rigid structure that Space Marines should adhere to?

Yes. The codex was more guidelines than actual rules. And written for the post-Heresy Imperium, which had very different assumptions (and foes). Adapting it is perfectly in keeping with what he intended, though not with the absurdist dogma his 'sons' turned it into.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





It's worth noting Gulliman has apparently made some ammendments to the codex,

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Dispassionate Imperial Judge




Inside Yvraine

 Kirasu wrote:
Guilliman basically threw his codex away a few years after he finished it, since to him time stayed still.
It's a bad thing that Guilliman's beliefs changed in response to new factors and situations that weren't present before? It would have been preferable for him to rigidly defend a system that he put into place in a completely different age with completely different circumstances?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/07/16 01:21:49


"They said to forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned? They said to forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war? Hold my drink." - Roboute Guilliman, 999.M41 
   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




We'll find out soon enough eh.

changemod wrote:
 schoon wrote:
I must say that Primaris Marines have saved me an enormous amount of time trying to bash together "true scale" Marines.

From that perspective, they're brilliant.


Out of curiosity, do you do "Truescale" Eldar, Necrons, Orks and such too? After all, all of those are in the fluff roughly marine height one way or the other.


Truescale folk tend to be Imperium players who just want their Marines to look "proper" next to their own human infantry, but to chime in for myself - yeah, for the ones I collect I do, all my Ork warbands kick each "rank" up one model size while bumping the heads down one; Boyz as Yoofs(Ironjawz heads), Nobz as Boyz(Boyz heads), Warbosses as Nobz(Nobz heads). They're not completely accurate and should actually be roughly halfway between Boy and Nob size for basic Boyz, but tbh while I like Orks I'm not willing to put in the amount of effort that would be required to make them perfectly scaled. The modern Eldar models actually look pretty right to me - the caped guy from the new triumvirate is only a tad shorter than the Primaris models - so I just use those as the basis for my occasional Panzy models rather than the ancient kits.

In the end though, it's not our fault GW can't maintain a consistent scale to save their lives, and we don't have infinite time to fix their mistakes

 BlaxicanX wrote:
 Kirasu wrote:
Guilliman basically threw his codex away a few years after he finished it, since to him time stayed still.
It's a bad thing that Guilliman's beliefs changed in response to new factors and situations that weren't present before? It would have been preferable for him to rigidly defend a system that he put into place in a completely different age with completely different circumstances?


Yes, because that would be exactly appropriate for a setting like 40K. The fossilisation of the Codex was one of the many things that exemplfied the decline and stagnation of humanity, even humanity's superhuman defenders, since the Heresy. Having Rowboat toddle in and reform the whole thing like an overeager new middle manager, along with all the other "progressive policies"(by 40K standards) he's enacting are undermining that aspect of the setting.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/07/16 01:37:21


I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Violent Enforcer





Los Angeles





reivers and aggressors leaked..not sure where they originated from but thanks to whoever got these images!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/07/16 02:23:43


 
   
Made in us
Never Forget Isstvan!





Santa Clara County

Scouts are great. Terminators look a bit off to me...Like they should be really top heavy and fall over. Almost chibi big hand syndrome.

No madam, 40,000 is the year that this game is set in. Not how much it costs. Though you may have a point. - GW Fulchester
The Gatling Guns have flamethrowers on them because this is 40k - DOW III
 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





I think the most intreasting thing about those boxes it it looks like the flamegauntlets won't be the standard loadout. a missile pack and twin boltguns of some sort? could be intreasting, my guess is that those are bolt storm gauntlets. so over all you're looking at some sort of missile launcher, a pair o 12 inch range pistol 3s (swappable to flamers) and twin power fists.

absolutely terrifying


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Uriels_Flame wrote:
Almost chibi big hand syndrome.


Power fists

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/07/16 02:28:07


Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Never Forget Isstvan!





Santa Clara County

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!

Now if there a flamestorm gauntlets, I want them on the new Dreadnought.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
I want them to flame on just like gyrlymans sword!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/07/16 02:32:49


No madam, 40,000 is the year that this game is set in. Not how much it costs. Though you may have a point. - GW Fulchester
The Gatling Guns have flamethrowers on them because this is 40k - DOW III
 
   
Made in es
Brutal Black Orc




Vigo. Spain.

I prefer my classical terminators but those Reivers are beautifull!

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in au
Preparing the Invasion of Terra






Brisbane, Australia

Interesting how the Reivers still look to lack the grav-chutes they have in the art. Maybe they aren't getting a Deep Strike rule at all like some speculated after seeing the art.

Multiple thin coats are always better than one thick coat.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Aggressors look like less boxy and awful centurions in design to me, more than they resemble existing terminators. They aren't awful, but not amazing either.

I also like the grappling hook. Not the actual extended one because oh lord i can't imagine that thing staying in one piece if I do anything but keep it on my shelf, but both the concept and the one that's loaded.
   
Made in us
Never Forget Isstvan!





Santa Clara County

That would be another kit.

No madam, 40,000 is the year that this game is set in. Not how much it costs. Though you may have a point. - GW Fulchester
The Gatling Guns have flamethrowers on them because this is 40k - DOW III
 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 Matt.Kingsley wrote:
Interesting how the Reivers still look to lack the grav-chutes they have in the art. Maybe they aren't getting a Deep Strike rule at all like some speculated after seeing the art.


on the other hand one CLEARLY has a grapling hook

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Dispassionate Imperial Judge




Inside Yvraine

 Yodhrin wrote:

Yes, because that would be exactly appropriate for a setting like 40K.
And yet it would not be appropriate for the character, and that takes precedence over "muh tone".

If you want to assert that Guilliman of all loyalist primarchs being brought back was a mistake because he's far too reasonable and intelligent to fit the tone of the 41st millennium, then okay, fair enough. Twisting the character's personality into a 180 after the fact however is silly.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/07/16 02:37:52


"They said to forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned? They said to forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war? Hold my drink." - Roboute Guilliman, 999.M41 
   
Made in us
Major General





Florence, KY

The arms on the Aggressors look familiar...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/07/16 02:41:56


'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in es
Brutal Black Orc




Vigo. Spain.

What I don't like is that literally no one of the Reivers has a closed helmet! Only the skull mask.

GW, you better give me options to have all of my Reivers with the full helmet! My OCD can't wisthand a marine without a helmet in my army!

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Prophetic Blood Angel Librarian





Sioux Falls, SD

I am on board with both of these. The Aggressors look amazing. I really like the Reivers as well, but damn, those gauntlets are really cool. The missiles are icing on the cake.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in au
Preparing the Invasion of Terra






Brisbane, Australia

I'd imagine the Aggressors have dual boltstorm gauntlets? The inbuilt guns look too small to be any other bolt weapon.
So 2 powerfists with inbuilt 3-shot bolt pistols.

Multiple thin coats are always better than one thick coat.
 
   
Made in us
Violent Enforcer





Los Angeles

Alright after looking them over I can say I like them quite a bit. The reiver poses look a lot better than the easy to build ones...which was kind of expected. Still hoping there are plenty of helmeted heads in the kit . The grappling hook while awesome has no chance of staying unbroken...at least not with my luck. The aggressors look good but I was so hoping the missile launchers left a spot or two open for missiles firing off like the missile launcher in the standard marine devastator kit. I guess that wouldn't be overly hard to convert though. Looks like a decent start to the primaris range of models so far.


 
   
Made in us
Prophetic Blood Angel Librarian





Sioux Falls, SD

 Matt.Kingsley wrote:
I'd imagine the Aggressors have dual boltstorm gauntlets? The inbuilt guns look too small to be any other bolt weapon.
So 2 powerfists with inbuilt 3-shot bolt pistols.
The ammunition feeds are much larger. I would be fine if they were just Boltstorm Gauntlets, but these look much bigger.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 BlaxicanX wrote:
 Yodhrin wrote:

Yes, because that would be exactly appropriate for a setting like 40K.
And yet it would not be appropriate for the character, and that takes precedence over "muh tone".

If you want to assert that Guilliman of all loyalist primarchs being brought back was a mistake because he's far too reasonable and intelligent to fit the tone of the 41st millennium, then okay, fair enough. Twisting the character's personality into a 180 after the fact however is silly.


Besides we do not know, yet, what his revisions are. despite the meme that the codex is some sort of paint by numbers book of tactics, it's clear that wasn't entirely it and that wasn't the source of the Ultramarines rigidity, (otherwise the 'nids would have eaten macragge) but rather the big part of it is an orginizational one. something people here have pointed out has some issues often, if the end effect of the chanegs are simply that marine chapters can be a bit bigger thats welcome news IMHO

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Reivers are cool. The extended grappling hook gun is stupid. Anyone who builds it is asking for it to break, so really a useless option in the kit. Id assume with the hooks they might have deepstrike if they take them or something.

Agressors are cool. Those really are not boltstorm gauntlets. The gun is way to big to be one.

All of this coolness depends fully on points cost though, as currently, primaris points costs blows hard all around.
   
Made in es
Brutal Black Orc




Vigo. Spain.

Actually I really like the point that Ultramarines are normally depicted as following very to the letter the Codex Astartes. But I think that the problem is how they depict that.
Legal characters that follow a strict code to the end (A end that normally isn't good for that same reason) are my favourite type of characters and storys.

If Ultramarines where depicted as being very rigid about how they interpret the Codex Astartes but paying for that, instead of "We win because the Codex Astartes is perfect and solves everything!" I think more people could like them more.

But on the other hand, many people like to take the kool aid of internet hyperbole and put the blame on Ultramarines because they are the GW posterboys when 90% of other factions storys, novels and Codexs are just as "THEY ARE DA BEST" as the Ultramarines one writted by Matt Ward.
My poor Dark Angels, from "We have a big secret for our past sins , and are in a redemption journey that isn't gonna end until the last Fallen has ben purged" to "OMG A FALLEn LETS KILL EVERY OF OUR ALLIES OR JUST ABANDON THEM TO DIE! WE AREN'T CHAOS GUYS LOL"

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/07/16 03:09:58


 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Okay, weird question that goes back to the mian topic, shouldn't the codex: astartes actually be available for preorder by now? Assuming it is still coming this month, there are two weeks left. I'd assume they'd want at least a little bit of time.
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





SilverAlien wrote:
Okay, weird question that goes back to the mian topic, shouldn't the codex: astartes actually be available for preorder by now? Assuming it is still coming this month, there are two weeks left. I'd assume they'd want at least a little bit of time.


Pre-orders are rumored for next weekend

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: