Switch Theme:

Classic Battletech Is Awesome: the Thread!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





yeah I tend to focus on logical upgrades. was chatting with some folks earlier tonight and ended up designing a 3150s goblin varient designed to carry battle armor

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I try to make themed upgrades. In fact, I tend to avoid logical upgrades because some of the canon designs are specifically illogical.

No better example of this than the basic Thor. It has an LB-10X with 1 ton of ammo, and an LRM15 with 2 tons of ammo. Why take an LB if you're not going to make use of its primary function? And that's aside from the issue of it being criminally under-armed due to integral Jump Jets, but that's the fault of my beloved Falcons, so we just have to live with that.

So it's very easy to fix designs and make them more logical, but that kinda takes some of the fun out of it. So I stick to themed ones, like:

What if I remake some Mad Cat varieites, but all their LRMs are Streak LRMs? What do I have to give up to make that work?

What if I take these ERPPC boats and swap them out for Snub-Nosed PPCs? I know that they're not the best of the PPC weapon, but I love 'em, so I'm going to try.

Can I make interesting IS designs that don't get their role muddled by using MML over LRM/SRMs?

How many armoured components is too many armoured components?

Can a 'Mech with a armoured compact gyro/engine still function?

How fast can I make something with IJJs and a Partial Wing without it being completely worthless?

That sort of stuff.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/21 03:25:53


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Second Story Man





Astonished of Heck

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I try to make themed upgrades. In fact, I tend to avoid logical upgrades because some of the canon designs are specifically illogical.

Another thing I like to do is downgrade Advanced/Experimental designs to either Standard or Introtech (most often to Introtech). I do this because I can then use my more advanced models like the Thanatos or Wendigo in Introtech games.

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
NHow fast can I make something with IJJs and a Partial Wing without it being completely worthless?

That's a fun one. I usually like to have it be a C3 mule who is just there to spot, usually left with a Medium Laser or similar to pop in someone's back at opportunity. Last one I made had a 5/8/10 movement. It was a low BV game, so I was having it spot for dual Gauss and dual ATM boats on Medium chassis' that moved like Urbanmechs. It's TMM was pretty dang good.

For Succession War work, though, the Spider and OstScout are just amazing.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Megavolt wrote:They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
 
   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

due to integral Jump Jets, but that's the fault of my beloved Falcons,


I believe i have found your problem, silly birds



GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






I've kinda unusually quiet in that department, as of late.

Mostly the last thing I did was hevier versions of the bug mechs (Stinger, Wasp, mainly) to account for the bigger size of the RRT minis, trying to keep as similar a profile as possible, but bigger.
   
Made in us
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle





Albany, NY

This is a bit of a random question, but has anyone seen Terran Hegemony decals available anywhere? I couldn't find them from FPG and shot Brian a message to see if he'd offer them, but maybe one of the un-sanctioned sellers has offered them? I'm working on some Age of War forces right now.

   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 aphyon wrote:
due to integral Jump Jets, but that's the fault of my beloved Falcons,


I believe i have found your problem, silly birds


bah leave the falcon alone, didn't your parents teach you not to kick someone when they're down? and between all the stuff that's happened in the MWDA era the Jade Falcons are definatly down. poor blighters

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Second Story Man





Astonished of Heck

BrianDavion wrote:
 aphyon wrote:
due to integral Jump Jets, but that's the fault of my beloved Falcons,


I believe i have found your problem, silly birds


bah leave the falcon alone, didn't your parents teach you not to kick someone when they're down? and between all the stuff that's happened in the MWDA era the Jade Falcons are definatly down. poor blighters

They're better off than the Hellions and Horses, though.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Megavolt wrote:They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Charistoph wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 aphyon wrote:
due to integral Jump Jets, but that's the fault of my beloved Falcons,


I believe i have found your problem, silly birds


bah leave the falcon alone, didn't your parents teach you not to kick someone when they're down? and between all the stuff that's happened in the MWDA era the Jade Falcons are definatly down. poor blighters

They're better off than the Hellions and Horses, though.


Horses are mostly fine these days. the jade falcons where reduced to about 100 warriors, whose job is to play bodyguard to a wolf ilkhan

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in ca
Krazed Killa Kan




Monarchy of TBD

True- but as a devout Falcon myself, that was about all we could hope for after Hazen's rampages and atrocities. The Falcons were in danger of becoming worse than the Word of Blake, and that takes some doing. Being given a chance to rebuild with honor is more than I expected.

Klawz-Ramming is a subset of citrus fruit?
Gwar- "And everyone wants a bigger Spleen!"
Mercurial wrote:
I admire your aplomb and instate you as Baron of the Seas and Lord Marshall of Privateers.
Orkeosaurus wrote:Star Trek also said we'd have X-Wings by now. We all see how that prediction turned out.
Orkeosaurus, on homophobia, the nature of homosexuality, and the greatness of George Takei.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleyways and mugs them for loose grammar.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Gitzbitah wrote:
True- but as a devout Falcon myself, that was about all we could hope for after Hazen's rampages and atrocities. The Falcons were in danger of becoming worse than the Word of Blake, and that takes some doing. Being given a chance to rebuild with honor is more than I expected.


ohh agreed. as it is though Malvina Hazen is part of a bigger problem battletech has, that of "insane leaders leading their factions to ruin" it's a huge problem and a problem made worse by the fact that it's become such an obvious trope everyone see's it coming. no one was suprised by what happened to the jade falcons, likewise no one was suprised the Caleb was used essentially as a clumsy tool to wreck the federated suns etc.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Oh jeez please don’t infect Dakka Dakka with this Malvina hate trash meme. Malvina is the uttermost epitome of CJF. Those who can accept being Alaric Steiner-Davion’s pets, please line up to turn in your Bird Cards.

   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

Horses are mostly fine these days

Well my Horses have made out better during the jihad than all the other units i play.

Second swords of light-half of them turned traitor, the loyalists were re-formed into the 9th sword

Second dieron regulars are basically eliminated fighting the WOB 19th div and the survivors rolled into a different unit.

10th lyran guard-nearly whipped out defending avalon city, survivors rolled into the 1st davion guards



I also sense some rabid battletech lore fanboyism happening in the thread.



GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Manchu wrote:
Oh jeez please don’t infect Dakka Dakka with this Malvina hate trash meme. Malvina is the uttermost epitome of CJF. Those who can accept being Alaric Steiner-Davion’s pets, please line up to turn in your Bird Cards.


She's only the Epitome of the Jade Falcons if your only knowledge of the falcons outside of her comes from the Animated Series and you think Jade Falcons are supposed to be saturday morning cartoon villians


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 aphyon wrote:



I also sense some rabid battletech lore fanboyism happening in the thread.


that's part of the FUN of the game/setting

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/22 07:58:54


Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Not even close. CJF has been homocidal/suicidal nearly since their inception. Read some lore.

   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Manchu wrote:
Not even close. CJF has been homocidal/suicidal nearly since their inception. Read some lore.


I have, I think you might be confusing jade falcons with smoke jags


Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

CSJ has nothing on the psychological instability of CJF.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Who are, in turn, paragons of mental stability compared to the Capellans.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/22 09:36:36


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Speaking of whom, I want to paint some of them next.

I don’t like to paint “canon” schemes but instead like something fairly generic and universal but still could be that faction.

For example, my “Davion” mechs are olive green with blue shoulders and my “Kurita” mechs are khaki with red details on their left sides.

See here:
Spoiler:


For my “Capellans” I was thinking green torsos/heads with brown limbs. Would that seem characteristic of House Liao to you guys?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/22 09:48:29


   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

I don't understand your obsession with avoiding parade color schemes, heck half the IS house units use appropriate cammo to the environment if that is the way you want to go(and sometimes it is their official parade colors like the 2nd deirons using black/green cammo for parade)


otherwise what you have done looks like-

The 7th or 4th crucis lancers for the davions


and for the kurita forces.
the 6th benjamin regulars or one of the many new smarkand regulars units that use tans/browns with red highlights

Cammospecs online is your friend for all things battletech colors.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/22 10:28:00




GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Korthu wrote:
Just a quick question. What unit does the Battlemaster on the cover of the rulebox belong to? The blue one with the red and white strip. I can't figure it out but I like that color scheme.

Thanks.
-K


Well, I hope you realize, this was entirely your fault:



Spoiler:



   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

You say that like it is a bad thing.

If we can get you to do more great paint jobs and it is for battletech that's a win/win.




Though as a drac or a steiner i question you using a dirty davion unit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/22 10:57:36




GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






I usually go for kuritans or davions myself, so it's kind of on brand

But back in the day I painted mostly Arkab Legion and Ghost regiments, so...

I usually prefer more generically useful units, so that I can mix and match, though, pretty much as Manchu.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

That blue is so beautifully saturated and that paintwork is so neat and clean. Very well done.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






chaos0xomega wrote:
That blue is so beautifully saturated and that paintwork is so neat and clean. Very well done.


Thanks!

The blue is actually Contrast blue with flow improver to avoid pooling (and a bit of drybrush after). It goes pretty decently, I must say.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

 aphyon wrote:
I don't understand your obsession with avoiding parade color schemes,
Likewise, I don’t understand the obsession with parade paint schemes. Most of them are hideous. Even more of them look basically the same as many others. CamoSpecs is real amateur hour stuff quite literally, with zero advantage over me making up something I like better.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/22 16:13:00


   
Made in us
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle





Albany, NY

 Manchu wrote:
 aphyon wrote:
I don't understand your obsession with avoiding parade color schemes,
Likewise, I don’t understand the obsession with parade paint schemes. Most of them are hideous. Even more of them look basically the same as many others. CamoSpecs is real amateur hour stuff quite literally, with zero advantage over me making up something I like better.


I think your approach is more in line with the HBS Battletech video game approach to faction schemes and fits the modern aesthetic well but before that the way you generally saw mechs were in the different parade schemes or suitable camo. Before that, I think people were pretty used to doing either the parade schemes following Camospecs guides (which are extensions of the info from the source books), or appropriate camo schemes. I dig what you're doing and see how you get there, but don't knock down what's been established. Both are fair approaches.

   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

 Prometheum5 wrote:
don't knock down what's been established
No idea what this means. Point is, CamoSpecs is the result of other fans picking what they like — which is literally what I do, too. The only difference is, I’m picking what I like rather than what some other fan likes. I’ve been into BT long, long previous to the HBS game and I think you’ll find the oldest approach to painting mechs is painting them however it suits you, esp considering the “my guys” merc focus of a lot of the BT hobby.

Just gonna reiterate my actual question: green head/torso with brown limbs seem suitable for a generic Capellan look?

   
Made in us
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle





Albany, NY

 Manchu wrote:
 Prometheum5 wrote:
don't knock down what's been established
No idea what this means. Point is, CamoSpecs is the result of other fans picking what they like — which is literally what I do, too. The only difference is, I’m picking what I like rather than what some other fan likes. I’ve been into BT long, long previous to the HBS game and I think you’ll find the oldest approach to painting mechs is painting them however it suits you, esp considering the “my guys” merc focus of a lot of the BT hobby.

Just gonna reiterate my actual question: green head/torso with brown limbs seem suitable for a generic Capellan look?


Fair enough. I'm not an expert but for some reason my first thought for Capellans is brighter green with yellow instead of the brown?

   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Bright green with yellow is too close to CJF for me. I will use something brighter than olive to be sure but I still want something that looks fairly credible as military hardware.

For my Clanners, I don’t mind that they look like brightly colored clowns

   
 
Forum Index » Other Sci-Fi Miniatures Games
Go to: