Switch Theme:

Could Saturday's big 40K announcement be 9th Edition?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Been Around the Block




My bet is for a commercial film or TV series in the Warhammer 40 K setting. Potentially related to Eisenhorn.
   
Made in gb
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Have you guys seen the Q&A release doing the rounds?

Looks as though we are indeed getting a new edition with quite a few changes, and it even has a new logo.
   
Made in gb
One Canoptek Scarab in a Swarm




UK

 Orange Knight wrote:
Have you guys seen the Q&A release doing the rounds?

Looks as though we are indeed getting a new edition with quite a few changes, and it even has a new logo.


Not really convinced of that being real since it's incredibly easy to do a mock-up like that. Plus do GW usually refer to things as Editions in their press release type stuff?

Not saying it's 100% fake but I don't think it's firm confirmation of anything either.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 Orange Knight wrote:
Have you guys seen the Q&A release doing the rounds?

Looks as though we are indeed getting a new edition with quite a few changes, and it even has a new logo.


Where can I find this?
   
Made in gb
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Only a few hours to go either way.

What convinced me that it's real was the language used. It's very, very consistent with how GW does it.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Update, it looks to be 100% legit going off the link:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/P5bh1SJn8q0P6qV8.pdf
   
Made in ie
Preacher of the Emperor





Cool. I hope they fix Fall Back.

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Wayniac wrote:
Slipspace wrote:
Worth pointing out as well that even though edition changes inevitably change how many units function it's not a one-way thing and some units/armies get much better while some get worse. the switch to WHFB 8th edition, for example, very briefly saw Orcs (traditionally one of the weaker armies in the system) become extremely powerful almost entirely because of one of their spells.

The people most often hurt by edition changes that don't invalidate the previous edition's rules are the meta-chasers and anyone else with very limited collections for each army. Anyone with a fairly sizeable main army will likely not be too badly hurt by an edition change since most of the time the new edition just reshuffles which units are considered good and which are bad.
I honestly think the meta-chasers are hurt the least just because they chase the meta. So they bounce from army to army based on what's "good" in the tournament scene and don't care about anything else. The people who are hurt the most IMHO are the ones who actually like a faction for its lore/aesthetic/etc. as they are the ones most likely to buy units they like rather than units that are good so run a greater risk of their purchases either being turned into total garbage or making them TFG overnight if the unit in question gets huge buffs.


I disagree. Firstly, if you're not buying units because of how powerful they are in the first place why would you care if a new edition makes them less powerful? Secondly, someone who collects a faction rather than just building a 2000 point meta-chasing army is more likely to be able to adapt to a new edition because of their larger collection. This happened to me a couple of times in various games. The best example os probably my WHFB Dark Elves. They were OK in 5th, pretty terrible in 6th and gradually got better into 7th and 8th editions. Through all of those edition changes I never needed to buy another unit specifically to make the army more powerful because I was collecting units I liked rather than what was powerful. So when an edition change meant Black Guard were suddenly fantastic I already had a unit of them. Then when an edition change meant Executioners were now much better than Black Guard I had them already too. The same applies to my Blood Angels. Throughout every edition change I've never absolutely needed to but new units to "keep up" even if I wanted the most powerful army, because by now I have pretty much every unit I could ever need.

Sure, people who will casually drop a chink of money on an army in one go just to have the best meta-chasing force probably aren't affected either way - they'll just carry on doing what they do. But those who just try to build a dedicated, powerful army just to have the best meta-chasing army in a given edition will be the ones who find themselves most put out by changes between editions. They seem to be the most common type of meta-chaser where I am. The whales dropping stacks of cash to fully keep up with all the changes are very rare (near-mythical, in fact) compared to the people who scour eBay for the 2k points of perfect meta goodness.
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






 Sim-Life wrote:
Cool. I hope they fix Fall Back.

And transports.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Jidmah wrote:
 Sim-Life wrote:
Cool. I hope they fix Fall Back.

And transports.


what about cover rules?

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






Not Online!!! wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
 Sim-Life wrote:
Cool. I hope they fix Fall Back.

And transports.


what about cover rules?


Let's be realistic

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Jidmah wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
 Sim-Life wrote:
Cool. I hope they fix Fall Back.

And transports.


what about cover rules?


Let's be realistic


Rip my FW index armies fixed dream then.

feelsbadman.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 10:06:23


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






With the new FW books on the way, I feel it's more likely that they fix your renegades than that they find a good solution for cover.

Not because of pessimism, but because I genuinely think that solving the cover problem is not an easy task and requires some out-of-the-box thinking and a creative solution. Neither is GW's forte.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Jidmah wrote:
With the new FW books on the way, I feel it's more likely that they fix your renegades than that they find a good solution for cover.

Not because of pessimism, but because I genuinely think that solving the cover problem is not an easy task and requires some out-of-the-box thinking and a creative solution. Neither is GW's forte.


TBF, though, we had 2 CA's and FAQ's and they didn't manage to fix them, but overall i agree,the cover system is issue ridden and whilest in the past certainly not perfect it was better.

However they still could fix the baneblade behind rock shooting all it's guns from the treads on the side without any issues.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Dudeface 788517 10804815 wrote:

Removing entries is never good, gotta agree there, especially if they alter how armies can be built.

No points value you assign to a hq prevents me from using it however. That's not white knighting, it's plain fact. I might lose every single game, but I can choose to use it still the exact same way I did before.


But if GW changes something in to being bad, then it is as good as being removed. In a world where strikes are better at everything, then termintors, and paladins also exist. Termintors as a GK option exist only in theory. May as well say that something is still playable in narrative or if your opponent is okey to play vs units with legends. But if that is true, we may as well say that everything is always playable, as long as you force your opponent to be okey with playing how ever and with what ever you like.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Eye of Terror

 Eldarsif wrote:
The thing is that this logic applies to all new releases in many ways. New unit on the way that does X? Might invalidate a certain meta setup? New codex on the way? Might invalidate your entire army build. New campaign book with new special rules? Again, might invalidate whatever you are doing. New CA being released? Here we go again, you might not be able to use those lovely setups you were building towards. New FAQ around the corner? You guessed correctly, invalidation to the rescue.

So if there is a new edition it will no better or worse towards invalidating anything than whatever is being released rather constantly over the year, and if they reveal a new edition now it is most likely coming out in a month or so, so people will be able to jump onto the train again and start building towards their dream team.

I would also remind that a huge system change like 8th was isn't something that happened every edition cycle.

Ah... it's a matter of scale.

You play Eldar and start bringing Wraithknights with D weapons for like 90 points, yeah, that's going to screw up some games. But not all games, most people are not going to do that.

You play 40k and let's say the mechanics have changed, being in 2" of another model means you get +1 to your cover cumulative against shooting attacks. And it's just part of the game, not faction specific. Suddenly, every melee unit is better than every shooting unit.

I watched the 9 Things video this morning, there's going to be changes to tanks, flyers, terrain mechanics and CP. Which is great, those things need to be adjusted. But it does mean my lists will be different, depending on the details it could mean Triple Heldrakes with Daemon Primarchs is now an optimal list for CSM. Which I would love. Conversely, it could mean Grey Knight Paladin Bombs are no longer effective because things like Trukks can run them over.

Dunno. Will need to wait and see. But I expect everything's about to change.

   
Made in us
Hardened Veteran Guardsman




England

It was 9th edition.

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in fr
Been Around the Block




 p5freak wrote:
Siegfriedfr wrote:
Maybe they'll announce a digital paid-service giving access to constantly up-to-date rules

Profitable + practical


Everything that has been said in this thread, no matter how unlikely it sounds, is more likely to happen than this.

For the record ...
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/23/the-big-warhammer-40000-previewgw-homepage-post-1/
And Another Thing…
This here might be some of the biggest news connected to the new edition. For years now, you’ve asked for an app to collect the rules and stats for your models… well, your cries have been heard – and answered. Alongside the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, there will be a rad new Warhammer 40,000 mobile app.



This is going to be the most comprehensive digital support any of our games has ever had. Expect to find an army builder, rules for your collections, and more so you can travel light on your way to game night.

We’ll have a lot more to say about it soon – but for now…

There’s been one thing we’ve been asked for more than anything else in the last three years (aside from the Lion riding a Thunderhawk): “Can my digital codex come bundled with my print version?” Well, Noble Hobbyist, yes. Yes it can. Whenever you buy a 9th edition codex, you’ll get the digital rules for that codex in the app for free.

It’s a brave new world, and we can’t wait to see more.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 16:26:21


 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






At least they aren't double dipping like DnD.

"Digital Voucher with Physical Purchase" has been an idea bandied around for years here, glad GW are finally catching up to $CURRENT_YEAR

Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294 +++++List of "broken" RaW in Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
+++++List of documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities || Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. || Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in de
Prophetic Blood Angel Librarian






Germany

Siegfriedfr wrote:
 p5freak wrote:
Siegfriedfr wrote:
Maybe they'll announce a digital paid-service giving access to constantly up-to-date rules

Profitable + practical


Everything that has been said in this thread, no matter how unlikely it sounds, is more likely to happen than this.

For the record ...
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/23/the-big-warhammer-40000-previewgw-homepage-post-1/
And Another Thing…
This here might be some of the biggest news connected to the new edition. For years now, you’ve asked for an app to collect the rules and stats for your models… well, your cries have been heard – and answered. Alongside the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, there will be a rad new Warhammer 40,000 mobile app.



This is going to be the most comprehensive digital support any of our games has ever had. Expect to find an army builder, rules for your collections, and more so you can travel light on your way to game night.

We’ll have a lot more to say about it soon – but for now…

There’s been one thing we’ve been asked for more than anything else in the last three years (aside from the Lion riding a Thunderhawk): “Can my digital codex come bundled with my print version?” Well, Noble Hobbyist, yes. Yes it can. Whenever you buy a 9th edition codex, you’ll get the digital rules for that codex in the app for free.

It’s a brave new world, and we can’t wait to see more.


Woooowwww, so now everything will change. Everything will be perfect, like we want it to be We have to wait and see.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 17:59:27


 
   
Made in us
Depraved Slaanesh Chaos Lord




Inside Yvraine

 BlaxicanX wrote:
Would never be a 9th edition announcement. Announcing 9E now would basically kill all sales for Psychic Awakening- even if the rules were backwards compatible with a new edition.


Let the record show: I WAS 100% WRONG!
   
Made in gb
Furious Raptor




West Yorkshire

 BlaxicanX wrote:
 BlaxicanX wrote:
Would never be a 9th edition announcement. Announcing 9E now would basically kill all sales for Psychic Awakening- even if the rules were backwards compatible with a new edition.


Let the record show: I WAS 100% WRONG!


Eh, everybody misjudges something at least once in their life. Just because it is a new edition, doesn't guarantee that it will bring in a perfect game. Might make one thing better but completely screw another over.

5000pts W4/ D0/ L5
5000pts W10/ D2/ L7
 
   
Made in ca
Focused Dark Angels Land Raider Pilot



Canada

 BlaxicanX wrote:
 BlaxicanX wrote:
Would never be a 9th edition announcement. Announcing 9E now would basically kill all sales for Psychic Awakening- even if the rules were backwards compatible with a new edition.


Let the record show: I WAS 100% WRONG!


You weren't the only one! I was genuinely surprised as well.

All you have to do is fire three rounds a minute, and stand 
   
Made in dk
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne






 Sim-Life wrote:
Cool. I hope they fix Fall Back.


Hahahaha, they wont! Else they would have hinted at their 9 "cool" things about new edition today (and what did we get? at point 5 or 6, A sister flying with a chainsword and a quote saying its not relevant. I also like how they talk about the new melee primaris "getting stuck in". They quoted EXACTLY the same when they released 8th edition and previewed assault phase, with all the babble about assult armies will love the edition and "get stuck in". GW get stuck in my rectum.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/23 19:31:02


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



NE Ohio, USA

 BlaxicanX wrote:
 BlaxicanX wrote:
Would never be a 9th edition announcement. Announcing 9E now would basically kill all sales for Psychic Awakening- even if the rules were backwards compatible with a new edition.


Let the record show: I WAS 100% WRONG!


I'll join you in being wrong. I was a year off. And as I had a $50 bet on that....
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Siegfriedfr wrote:
 p5freak wrote:
Siegfriedfr wrote:
Maybe they'll announce a digital paid-service giving access to constantly up-to-date rules

Profitable + practical


Everything that has been said in this thread, no matter how unlikely it sounds, is more likely to happen than this.

For the record ...
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/23/the-big-warhammer-40000-previewgw-homepage-post-1/
And Another Thing…
This here might be some of the biggest news connected to the new edition. For years now, you’ve asked for an app to collect the rules and stats for your models… well, your cries have been heard – and answered. Alongside the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, there will be a rad new Warhammer 40,000 mobile app.



This is going to be the most comprehensive digital support any of our games has ever had. Expect to find an army builder, rules for your collections, and more so you can travel light on your way to game night.

We’ll have a lot more to say about it soon – but for now…

There’s been one thing we’ve been asked for more than anything else in the last three years (aside from the Lion riding a Thunderhawk): “Can my digital codex come bundled with my print version?” Well, Noble Hobbyist, yes. Yes it can. Whenever you buy a 9th edition codex, you’ll get the digital rules for that codex in the app for free.

It’s a brave new world, and we can’t wait to see more.


Not service though which is good. No recurring costs to keep access. And you will still have books(you just get digital as bonus) so gw doesn't own what you play. Ownership of what you buy is with you unlike with service where it being available relies on company.

So better than what you suggested

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4339
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
Abel





Washington State

Oh my Emperor PRIMARIS INTERSESSORS WITH CHAINSWORDS! WOOOOO!

Can't get much more excited then that! Kinda wish I was a BA, BT or SW player now. Wow! The hype is real!

Kara Sloan shoots through Time and Design Space for a Negative Play Experience  
   
Made in us
Locked in the Tower of Amareo




 Tamwulf wrote:
Oh my Emperor PRIMARIS INTERSESSORS WITH CHAINSWORDS! WOOOOO!

Can't get much more excited then that! Kinda wish I was a BA, BT or SW player now. Wow! The hype is real!


With two base attacks, and shock assault, I think I might stick with autobolters.
   
Made in fr
Been Around the Block




tneva82 wrote:
Siegfriedfr wrote:
Maybe they'll announce a digital paid-service giving access to constantly up-to-date rules

Profitable + practical


Not service though which is good. No recurring costs to keep access. And you will still have books(you just get digital as bonus) so gw doesn't own what you play. Ownership of what you buy is with you unlike with service where it being available relies on company

So better than what you suggested


However you twist the words, you'll have to pay one way or another to access the data on this app.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/05/24 06:28:16


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: