Switch Theme:

Classic Battletech Is Awesome: the Thread!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Green and black should look good, I think.
   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

 Manchu wrote:
 aphyon wrote:
I don't understand your obsession with avoiding parade color schemes,
Likewise, I don’t understand the obsession with parade paint schemes. Most of them are hideous. Even more of them look basically the same as many others. CamoSpecs is real amateur hour stuff quite literally, with zero advantage over me making up something I like better.


Maybe i am a closet imperial fist...



The parade schemes make the mechs "pop" on the table, and some units always use the parade schemes much for the same reason the fists do like the swords of light units.

I do have some units painted in scheme cammo like my 10th lyran guards desert lance. it is just not the majority. like most other game systems we tend to paint our armies in faction recognized colors rather it be warmachine, 40K, flames of war or battletech.



GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

I thought CamoSpecs schemes were based on official artwork and written descriptions? I.E. the paint scheme for the 53rd Capplyran Guard is based on the cover art of the novel they were featured in, whereas the 21st Chumbawumba Revolutionaries is an interpretation of the written description of their mech livery from the same novel.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Translating a written source to a painted miniature requires, as you say, interpretation. Plus, even the authors of BT fiction and sourcebooks are frequently fans.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 aphyon wrote:
like most other game systems we tend to paint our armies in faction recognized colors
This is def a big part of my goal. I suppose my “Davion” mechs could as easily be “Lyran” but the overarching goal is to have mechs that look militaristic (rather than like Transformers) and to be able to immediately differentiate between the different sides in a given session. This last part is often compromised by my buddies using their Transformers-esque mechs lol.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/22 18:44:07


   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

 Manchu wrote:
Translating a written source to a painted miniature requires, as you say, interpretation. Plus, even the authors of BT fiction and sourcebooks are frequently fans.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 aphyon wrote:
like most other game systems we tend to paint our armies in faction recognized colors
This is def a big part of my goal. I suppose my “Davion” mechs could as easily be “Lyran” but the overarching goal is to have mechs that look militaristic (rather than like Transformers) and to be able to immediately differentiate between the different sides in a given session. This last part is often compromised by my buddies using their Transformers-esque mechs lol.


Sure - but if the book describes a mechs paint scheme as being royal purple with gold edge trim up top and a pink and babys breath polkadot/peadot type camo scheme on the front leg armor and shoulders, then you can't really say that fans are creating really gakky parade schemes that look hideous. That description on its own is already hideous, I don't think fans could make that any better or worse.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Doesn’t contradict anything I’ve proposed.

   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Albertorius wrote:
Korthu wrote:
Just a quick question. What unit does the Battlemaster on the cover of the rulebox belong to? The blue one with the red and white strip. I can't figure it out but I like that color scheme.

Thanks.
-K


Well, I hope you realize, this was entirely your fault:



Spoiler:






absolutely beautiful. I think I've posted some of mine earlier but yours are waaaay better. I'm gonna post a full company (the first of just over 2 battalions of mechs I have) as soon as I finish.

Can't help but note you've missed the battlemaster *throws down the gauntlet*

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/23 02:18:02


Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

That's not the new Phawk model...

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

definitely not, but it still looks good.

Just got myself a 3d printed MWO style dragon. getting some paint work as we speak,




GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
That's not the new Phawk model...


I assumed it's a robotech tactics Mini, more then a few btechers invested in the Mini's specificly to use as unseens

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I almost did, but then they announced the Kickstarter.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
That's not the new Phawk model...


Nope, it's an RRT Valkyrie with 3d printed parts (also, feth Palladium >_> )

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/23 10:04:58


 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I almost did, but then they announced the Kickstarter.


I considered it when I saw the basic box at my local game store, but feth Palladium and most especially feth harmony gold.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Yu Jing Martial Arts Ninja




North Wales

 Albertorius wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
That's not the new Phawk model...


Nope, it's an RRT Valkyrie with 3d printed parts (also, feth Palladium >_> )


Those are nice parts. Very nice parts.

I've done one myself, but not having got it past primer stage I can't really tell what the end result will be. I definitely didn't get it into as nice a pose as you did.

Oh, yeah. Feth Palladium.
   
Made in us
Second Story Man





Astonished of Heck

Pfft, my colors are based on what I had and the limits of my hands and brushes (which, I should probably replace soon, they're getting quite raggedy).

Basically I have two color schemes, one for Inner Sphere, and one for Clan.

A little inspiration came from a certain YT Battletech commentator's group...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/23 17:33:58


Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Megavolt wrote:They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I intend to get my IS 'Mechs, separate out the obvious faction-specific ones, and then take the rest and spray one half red, the other half blue, and then do details. Ditto for my Clans. One half green, the other half ice blue.

And then do the same for all my tanks. And power armour.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/24 01:33:39


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I intend to get my IS 'Mechs, separate out the obvious faction-specific ones, and then take the rest and spray one half red, the other half blue, and then do details. Ditto for my Clans. One half green, the other half ice blue.

And then do the same for all my tanks. And power armour.



so davion, kurita, jade falcon and ghost bear?

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Correcto.

There would be some outliers - I have a small pirate force (including a converted Zeus with the axe from a Ti Ts'ang), and some ComStar stuff, plus an smallish Capellan force. They wouldn't be included alongside the others.

And the Davions/Kuritans would get a few of the Clan 'Mechs as salvage.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

New shiny bits-3d printed MWO style dragon added to my collection


Because one cannot have enough dragon

Spoiler:


Spoiler:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/24 14:57:28




GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

As long as it's a Grand Dragon.

Regular Dragons are kinda gak.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

Is there any other kind? of course it is a grand dragon ERPPC for life!



I generally run the 7K for the C3 slave and ER mediums.




GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

So I was considering picking up the variant Stormcrow, and thought Id be clever and use a spare Stormcrow from the kickstsrter (presently have 5 due to salvage boxes, planning to buy an extra clan command star which would give me 6), but then I realized that the torsos are different because the variants don't mount a medium laser under the cockpit :( doesn't look like Id be able to rework the spare parts into any of the alt configs.

darn you 1/customer limits!

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

I have two Succession-wars era factions made from all the 1st Wave IS mechs from the Kickstarter painted. I kept them pretty generic, with no real mind to making a strict link to actual units. I did a blue/red quartered scheme to be some sort of a Steiner military unit, and a grey/green force to be some sort of Mercs, because I wanted to dust off the old Battlefleet Gothic Imperial scheme that I used to like to paint. I might add some splashes of purple to them and say they are on near-permanent retainer to the Free Worlds League, then it explains why the two forces are pitted against each other.





I've been thinking of building a small Clan force, and after a truly nightmarish picture colored by my 5yo daughter, I may have her lay out the color schemes for each mech. Just give her Clan mech pages from the Catalyst activity book and force myself to color the equivalent mechs like her designs to come up with something truly anti-Clan, just to poke fun at the fact that some players consider the Clans to be the "Munchkin" faction with all their high tech, so I might as well add insult to injury and hurt their eyes, too.

Enter the warriors of Clan Rainbow Pegasus.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/10/24 18:48:21




"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in ca
Krazed Killa Kan




Monarchy of TBD

Believe it or not, brightly colored, one off paint schemes that look like easter eggs are a canon Clan scheme.

https://camospecs.com/unit/xi-provisional-galaxy/

The Nova Cats Xi provisional Galaxy!

Klawz-Ramming is a subset of citrus fruit?
Gwar- "And everyone wants a bigger Spleen!"
Mercurial wrote:
I admire your aplomb and instate you as Baron of the Seas and Lord Marshall of Privateers.
Orkeosaurus wrote:Star Trek also said we'd have X-Wings by now. We all see how that prediction turned out.
Orkeosaurus, on homophobia, the nature of homosexuality, and the greatness of George Takei.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleyways and mugs them for loose grammar.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Gitzbitah wrote:
Believe it or not, brightly colored, one off paint schemes that look like easter eggs are a canon Clan scheme.

https://camospecs.com/unit/xi-provisional-galaxy/

The Nova Cats Xi provisional Galaxy!


good ole nova kittens

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Ok, how did the guy at Camo-Specs convert this:


 AegisGrimm wrote:
... so I might as well add insult to injury and hurt their eyes, too.

Enter the warriors of Clan Rainbow Pegasus.
I declare a Trial of Grievance against you and your daughter!

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

BrianDavion wrote:
 Gitzbitah wrote:
Believe it or not, brightly colored, one off paint schemes that look like easter eggs are a canon Clan scheme.

https://camospecs.com/unit/xi-provisional-galaxy/

The Nova Cats Xi provisional Galaxy!


good ole nova kittens


Yeah and the fun thing if you use the field manuals for unit specific special rules. they get an initiative bonus at the start of the game that gradually degrade over turns because of shock value. kind of a "what the heck is that?" mechwarrior reaction.


Ok, how did the guy at Camo-Specs convert this:


Obviously a nova cat body (G variant), the arms are off of....i should know they look really familiar



GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





I wanna say off a longbow for some reason

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Grumpy Longbeard





washington state USA

I checked the models that isn't it. i know i have seen the arms before.



GAMES-DUST1947/infinity/B5 wars/epic 40K/5th ed 40K/victory at sea/warmachine/battle tactics/monpoc/battletech/battlefleet gothic/castles in the sky,/heavy gear 
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

 Chillreaper wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:


Nope, it's an RRT Valkyrie with 3d printed parts (also, feth Palladium )


Oh, yeah. Feth Palladium.


There is a tale or two here methinks.

What is the hate for Palladium beyond their badly formatted and sucky rules.

n'oublie jamais - It appears I now have to highlight this again.

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. 
   
 
Forum Index » Other Sci-Fi Miniatures Games
Go to: