Switch Theme:

Drukhari are OP, what next?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






 Ordana wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Why are we arguing about this?

The game was in a pretty great state before Drukhari dropped (Outside us poor tau, AM, GSC and some other 8th armies). Marines were back at a 50% winrate and the best factions weren't marines or marines and equivalents, being sob and harlequins. All 9th books had a fair chance agaisnt each other, maybe necrons are a little left behind right now but nothing that can't change without points reductions.

Drukhari are the outlier. And lets hope they aren't the heralds of a new age of power. Nerfing drukhari is NOT being pro-marine biased. They trump all other armies just the same. No, the meta WAS not marine skewed when most armies had to take the tools to kill sisters of battle or harlequins or demon and orks hordes to win tournaments. But theres not amount of optimization you can do agaisnt drukhari to have a consistent fair game against them. Thats the truth.
The game is honestly in a terrible state. The only thing keeping the numbers somewhat more reasonable is harlequins/SOB/Custodians/Daemons are really low play rate compared to their power. DA are obnoxious / DG and marine supplements were more reasonable....DE have errors and combos equivalent to 8.5 Iron hands. Game honestly sucks right now - unless you are just playing for fun.
Honest I wonder how bad the complaints would be if there was no Covid and everyone was actually playing eachother as much as we used to.

Truth.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Volkite contemptors are overtuned too, so it's not a great solution to the problem of DE (besides not actually being a solution anyway).
   
Made in us
Reading a Book in the Tower of Prospero





Curb stomping in the Eye of Terror!

yukishiro1 wrote:
Volkite contemptors are overtuned too, so it's not a great solution to the problem of DE (besides not actually being a solution anyway).

What do you mean?

48" ranged16x str6 D2 shots per model is nothing to scoff at forcing DE Raiders to take 4+ saves for each shots (not including mortal wounds on 6s). On a platform having 5++ with -1 to damage that has no degradation profile.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/14 18:26:23


6000
Live Ork, Be Ork. or D'Ork!

4000

∞ Chaos Daemons and CSM


 
   
Made in ca
Secretive Dark Angels Veteran




Vancouver, BC

 whembly wrote:
48" ranged16x str6 D2 shots per model is nothing to scoff at forcing DE Raiders to take 4+ saves for each shots (not including mortal wounds on 6s). On a platform having 5++ with -1 to damage that has no degradation profile.

They aren't a solution because only a few factions have access to them without allies and because the models are expensive. The counter to an army should never be a single model spammed 3 times over.
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






They are also really bad against most things. They have 0 ap.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight




 Xenomancers wrote:
They are also really bad against most things. They have 0 ap.


They do MW's on 6's. They're surprisingly effective against armor.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 whembly wrote:
yukishiro1 wrote:
Volkite contemptors are overtuned too, so it's not a great solution to the problem of DE (besides not actually being a solution anyway).

What do you mean?

48" ranged16x str6 D2 shots per model is nothing to scoff at forcing DE Raiders to take 4+ saves for each shots (not including mortal wounds on 6s). On a platform having 5++ with -1 to damage that has no degradation profile.


I meant what I said: they are underpointed (i.e., overtuned) as well. I.e. too good. Not as ridiculous as the problematic DE stuff, but they overperform quite significantly compared to the other weapons options. So it's taking one overpowered thing to counter another (which doesn't actually fully counter it anyway).

The solution to a balance issue isn't to rely on something else that's also overpowered.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Xenomancers wrote:
They are also really bad against most things. They have 0 ap.


Nope. The MWs offset the lack of AP and make them a strong option against almost everything, which is poor design. The only thing they're not excellent against is 2+ armor.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/05/14 19:22:31


 
   
Made in mx
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

Suppresors are actually better for Raider hunting that Volkite contemptors.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Well, sure, except that they die to a mild breeze.
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






Look dude it is simple math. If you were to hit and wound with everything on 16 shots you'd only expect 3 mortal wounds or less. You aren't going to hit with everything. Your gonna hit with 10 - here you expect 2 or less mortal wounds...This isn't effective armor killing. It is decent reliable 2-4 wounds you can put on an armored target. Keep in mind a 2x MM dread will reliably kill armored targets. It is good against the raider because it only has a 4+ save. It is bad against pretty much everything else.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/14 19:18:43


If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 Tyran wrote:

But they are also a niche faction and that means that in a tournament setting, asuming they get balanced, are still going to have better win-rate than the more common factions.


You're going to have to prove that. I'm not going to take your word on it.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




It is simple math, which you evidently haven't done. The main problem with the volkite is against T7 and/or 2+. It outperforms any other option against MEQ, for example, despite the 3+ save.

The volkite performs roughly as well as a MM vs anything except T7/8 3+ with no invuln, or a 2+ save or better with any T value. Any time you start fiddling with the rest of those stats - lowering T, adding an invuln, lowering the save - it generally comes out ahead or roughly comparable. And rerolls to wound obviously help it more.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/14 19:29:02


 
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






yukishiro1 wrote:
It is simple math, which you evidently haven't done. The main problem with the volkite is against T7 and/or 2+. It outperforms any other option against MEQ, for example, despite the 3+ save.

The volkite performs roughly as well as a MM vs anything except T7/8 3+ with no invuln, or a 2+ save or better with any T value. Any time you start fiddling with the rest of those stats - lowering T, adding an invuln, lowering the save - it generally comes out ahead or roughly comparable. And rerolls to wound obviously help it more.


You do realize almost every vehicle/tank in the game is t7 3+ or better? So I am correct. It is bad vs everything else. It is extremely bad against 2+ saves too.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




It's probably a waste of effort to ask you read what's written.

Many vehicles have invulns. That can skew things significantly. For example, vs a T8 3+/5++, the volkite is basically the same as the MM even w/in 12" - more consistent and with less spike potential, but similar average damage output. Vs a 4++, or outside 12", the volkite is better.

The only place where the MM really dominates is T7 3+ with no invuln w/in 12", or vs 2+ armor targets without a good invuln.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/14 20:01:36


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Xenomancers wrote:
yukishiro1 wrote:
It is simple math, which you evidently haven't done. The main problem with the volkite is against T7 and/or 2+. It outperforms any other option against MEQ, for example, despite the 3+ save.

The volkite performs roughly as well as a MM vs anything except T7/8 3+ with no invuln, or a 2+ save or better with any T value. Any time you start fiddling with the rest of those stats - lowering T, adding an invuln, lowering the save - it generally comes out ahead or roughly comparable. And rerolls to wound obviously help it more.


You do realize almost every vehicle/tank in the game is t7 3+ or better? So I am correct. It is bad vs everything else. It is extremely bad against 2+ saves too.


You realise a significant chunk of this very thread is talking about how OP the Raider is, right? It's not like T6 or lower vehicles are uncommon.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 Xenomancers wrote:
Look dude it is simple math. If you were to hit and wound with everything on 16 shots you'd only expect 3 mortal wounds or less. You aren't going to hit with everything. Your gonna hit with 10 - here you expect 2 or less mortal wounds...This isn't effective armor killing. It is decent reliable 2-4 wounds you can put on an armored target. Keep in mind a 2x MM dread will reliably kill armored targets. It is good against the raider because it only has a 4+ save. It is bad against pretty much everything else.


The mid-high strength + number of shots + chance of mortal wounds creates a much wider bell curve and you're less likely to have the "wrong" weapon. Dealing a mortal wound or two makes up for targets having invulns -- something extremely important that none of the other weapons can do.

One of the real overlooked issue with Volkite contemptors is the fact that all the other weapon options. . . kinda stink at best and auto-lose matchups at worst:

Lascannons = oh look I rolled a 1 for damage. 25 points. Wow. Much satisfy.
Multi-melta = gotta get close or else see: lascannons (dreads aren't as fast and maneuverable as attack bikes)
Plasma cannon = like, this weapon is literally good at nothing. There's no reason to ever take it, which is pretty damning because it's the free weapon.
Twin Autocannon = at best it's efficient vs a single profile in the game, and at worst it's trash when up against a very common army or defensive mechanic that's becoming common. And all this for 3x the price of the volkite.
Kheres = would probably be great if it was higher range or 8 shots instead of 6, but it's not, so here we are.
Twin Heavy Bolter = would probably be fine at 5 points instead of 15 points.
Conversion beamer = lol this used to be interesting, and now it's laughably bad.

And let's not forget that these lists featuring volkite contemptors aren't sweeping tournaments. Maybe they should be 10 points instead of 5, but that won't change what they have to shoot at or that the other weapons aren't great.
   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight




Quasistellar wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
Look dude it is simple math. If you were to hit and wound with everything on 16 shots you'd only expect 3 mortal wounds or less. You aren't going to hit with everything. Your gonna hit with 10 - here you expect 2 or less mortal wounds...This isn't effective armor killing. It is decent reliable 2-4 wounds you can put on an armored target. Keep in mind a 2x MM dread will reliably kill armored targets. It is good against the raider because it only has a 4+ save. It is bad against pretty much everything else.


The mid-high strength + number of shots + chance of mortal wounds creates a much wider bell curve and you're less likely to have the "wrong" weapon. Dealing a mortal wound or two makes up for targets having invulns -- something extremely important that none of the other weapons can do.

One of the real overlooked issue with Volkite contemptors is the fact that all the other weapon options. . . kinda stink at best and auto-lose matchups at worst:

Lascannons = oh look I rolled a 1 for damage. 25 points. Wow. Much satisfy.
Multi-melta = gotta get close or else see: lascannons (dreads aren't as fast and maneuverable as attack bikes)
Plasma cannon = like, this weapon is literally good at nothing. There's no reason to ever take it, which is pretty damning because it's the free weapon.
Twin Autocannon = at best it's efficient vs a single profile in the game, and at worst it's trash when up against a very common army or defensive mechanic that's becoming common. And all this for 3x the price of the volkite.
Kheres = would probably be great if it was higher range or 8 shots instead of 6, but it's not, so here we are.
Twin Heavy Bolter = would probably be fine at 5 points instead of 15 points.
Conversion beamer = lol this used to be interesting, and now it's laughably bad.

And let's not forget that these lists featuring volkite contemptors aren't sweeping tournaments. Maybe they should be 10 points instead of 5, but that won't change what they have to shoot at or that the other weapons aren't great.


Let's not forget CSM slapping Prescience + Vets on theirs to make it an even more cost effective pain train. While those buffs buff anything, they take an aggressively priced unit and make it 'trade up' very well into many things.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





True, and they're the one weapon that they can take to semi-efficiently kill Raiders while *not* being total trash vs *everything* else.

And here we come back to the Raider issue.
   
Made in mx
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

Quasistellar wrote:


You're going to have to prove that. I'm not going to take your word on it.


For example take the whole Raiders mess. Assuming Raiders receive the 10-15 pts nerf, they are still going to remain a very viable unit. And Suppresors will still be the best unit Space Marines have for killing Raiders at long range.

So even assuming those nerfs happen, Space Marines player will still need to decide if they want to take Suppresors to kill Raiders, or take other options that are better against most other match-ups but still sub-optimal vs Raiders.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/05/14 20:22:46


 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 Ordana wrote:
Spoiler:
 Xenomancers wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Why are we arguing about this?

The game was in a pretty great state before Drukhari dropped (Outside us poor tau, AM, GSC and some other 8th armies). Marines were back at a 50% winrate and the best factions weren't marines or marines and equivalents, being sob and harlequins. All 9th books had a fair chance agaisnt each other, maybe necrons are a little left behind right now but nothing that can't change without points reductions.

Drukhari are the outlier. And lets hope they aren't the heralds of a new age of power. Nerfing drukhari is NOT being pro-marine biased. They trump all other armies just the same. No, the meta WAS not marine skewed when most armies had to take the tools to kill sisters of battle or harlequins or demon and orks hordes to win tournaments. But theres not amount of optimization you can do agaisnt drukhari to have a consistent fair game against them. Thats the truth.
The game is honestly in a terrible state. The only thing keeping the numbers somewhat more reasonable is harlequins/SOB/Custodians/Daemons are really low play rate compared to their power. DA are obnoxious / DG and marine supplements were more reasonable....DE have errors and combos equivalent to 8.5 Iron hands. Game honestly sucks right now - unless you are just playing for fun.
Honest I wonder how bad the complaints would be if there was no Covid and everyone was actually playing eachother as much as we used to.

The answer is "just as bad, maybe worse". Remember the total gakstorm around GSC Kellermorphs? Or Wraithlords and Scatterbikes? Conscripts? I think a short look at other non-marine "omgOP" examples gives a clear answer.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Reading a Book in the Tower of Prospero





Curb stomping in the Eye of Terror!

This is a meta shifting codex, so your usual lists prior to the release of this codex need to adjust.

I kitbash my Thousand Suns Contemptor.

Yes, the FW models too expensive, and it's neigh impossible to even find vokite culverin guns (shakes fists at Forgeworld).

Mine are the mono-posed Hellbrute models (Black Reach kit??) with Forgefiend gunz slapped on it. Yes, it's a proxy, but it's all GW models that's obviously doesn't look like a regular hellbrute, and so far no opponent or TO has a problem with it as the "rule of cool" usually rules the day.

What I normally do is split fire the first time I shoot to force my DE opponent to CP fast reaction on one of the raider then focus on the other raidiers.

I usually baby sit my Contemptor with an Exalted Sorcerer. So, my guys are re-rolling 1s as well as one unit may be prescience'ed.

Not knowing the actual mathhammer, but I recall that one Contemptor does a decent job in killing a raider. Plus, the other thing it does well is being that "distraction carnifex" as it forces the DE player to prioritize the shooting, while actually being a tough unit.

If you think you need more "ooph", I believe this contemptor can also get missile launchers (unless I'm thinking of a different platform?).

Just for the record, here's my CSM/Demon lists that I bring to tournies:
Spoiler:
Thousand Sons Vanguard
-Exalted Sorcerer

-Contemptor Dreadnought with volkite culverin
-Contemptor Dreadnought with volkite culverin
-Contemptor Dreadnought with volkite culverin

-4x Chaos Spawn
-4x Chaos Spawn

Demon Patrol
-Changecaster
-Exalted Lord of Change: -1 vs shooting

-3x Nurglings
-3x Nurglings
-3x Nurglings

-9x Flamers (DT liquifiers? Bitch please, these mofos with the CP where wounds of sixes causes mortals)

Supreme Commander
-Mortarion

i. Nurglings and spawns are on objective/screening duties
ii. Morty and ELoC are the tough enforcer of the lists. Morty has access to CP familiar to give himself warptime and/or death hex. ELoC psyhic powers hurts and is suprisingly a beat stick
iii. Flamers deepstrikes along with change caster to nuke something on the table on turn 2. Could split fire if needed. 9d6 flamers at S5 ap-1 1D with 6s being mortals from strategem.
iv. For the record, the main reason why I brought volkite contemptors to this list WAS due to the fact to seeing a crap ton of eradicators and whatevery that multimelta SoB brings. I needed that 45" gun to outrange them and so that they don't get more than 2 shooting turns at morty or LoC.

Ironically, when building this list I thought I'd max out my secondaries, but lately this list does a great job at maxing out all the primaries.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/05/14 20:33:17


6000
Live Ork, Be Ork. or D'Ork!

4000

∞ Chaos Daemons and CSM


 
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






Slipspace wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
yukishiro1 wrote:
It is simple math, which you evidently haven't done. The main problem with the volkite is against T7 and/or 2+. It outperforms any other option against MEQ, for example, despite the 3+ save.

The volkite performs roughly as well as a MM vs anything except T7/8 3+ with no invuln, or a 2+ save or better with any T value. Any time you start fiddling with the rest of those stats - lowering T, adding an invuln, lowering the save - it generally comes out ahead or roughly comparable. And rerolls to wound obviously help it more.


You do realize almost every vehicle/tank in the game is t7 3+ or better? So I am correct. It is bad vs everything else. It is extremely bad against 2+ saves too.


You realise a significant chunk of this very thread is talking about how OP the Raider is, right? It's not like T6 or lower vehicles are uncommon.

You literally have found a niche weapon which can do significant damage to a raider...but sucks against most other vehicles??? How does that help anything? You are just as likely to run into a custodian army or a DA/BT army as you are DE.

While it will help you win vs DE it isn't going to help you win a tournament.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 whembly wrote:
This is a meta shifting codex, so your usual lists prior to the release of this codex need to adjust.

I kitbash my Thousand Suns Contemptor.

Yes, the FW models too expensive, and it's neigh impossible to even find vokite culverin guns (shakes fists at Forgeworld).



Okay I gotta step in here: the FW Contemptor is actually a really fantastic model. You won't see me defending FW resin often, but the Contemptor is just a good model and not terribly overpriced (compare to the joke plastic contemptor). Okay, so the weapons themselves are too expensive IMO, but you don't have to buy them all at once and they're mega easy to magnetize and future-proof.

No denying that any time something FW makes gets remotely good that it's perpetually out of stock, though.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Yeah, contemptors are awesome, one of the best things FW makes, as well as the least overpriced. They are a pain to assemble, but that's a direct result of the extreme flexibility in posing, which IMO is worth the trade-off.
   
Made in us
Reading a Book in the Tower of Prospero





Curb stomping in the Eye of Terror!

 Xenomancers wrote:
Slipspace wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:
yukishiro1 wrote:
It is simple math, which you evidently haven't done. The main problem with the volkite is against T7 and/or 2+. It outperforms any other option against MEQ, for example, despite the 3+ save.

The volkite performs roughly as well as a MM vs anything except T7/8 3+ with no invuln, or a 2+ save or better with any T value. Any time you start fiddling with the rest of those stats - lowering T, adding an invuln, lowering the save - it generally comes out ahead or roughly comparable. And rerolls to wound obviously help it more.


You do realize almost every vehicle/tank in the game is t7 3+ or better? So I am correct. It is bad vs everything else. It is extremely bad against 2+ saves too.


You realise a significant chunk of this very thread is talking about how OP the Raider is, right? It's not like T6 or lower vehicles are uncommon.

You literally have found a niche weapon which can do significant damage to a raider...but sucks against most other vehicles??? How does that help anything? You are just as likely to run into a custodian army or a DA/BT army as you are DE.

While it will help you win vs DE it isn't going to help you win a tournament.

Anecdotally, I've faced a custodes, white scars and DA army recently with that aforementioned TS/Demon list, albeit with 2 volkite contemptors.

Contemptors did the heavy lifting putting wounds on those tough units, particularly against the custodes.

6000
Live Ork, Be Ork. or D'Ork!

4000

∞ Chaos Daemons and CSM


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Yeah, the thing is that while they have no AP, that doesn't make any difference vs custodes in cover, and they have more shots than autocannons or heavy bolters, and they can mortal wound. All that adds up to a pretty good weapon vs custodes.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




Quasistellar wrote:
Yeah, the thing is that while they have no AP, that doesn't make any difference vs custodes in cover, and they have more shots than autocannons or heavy bolters, and they can mortal wound. All that adds up to a pretty good weapon vs custodes.

Can you provide the math on that? I haven't looked at Contemptors in a while.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






Doing mental math its 3D to a T5, 2+, 3w, Custode, so it kills 1. Which is kind of bad.

EDIT the quick mental math: 16 shots, 10 hits, 7 wounds, 1 failed save for 2D and 1 6 for 1 MW, so 3D, you have a good chance for a 2nd MW too.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/05/14 23:27:49


15k+
3k
Emperor's Spears 2k
Beastmen 9500
CoS: 3500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






They are a bit too good against custodes for something with no AP.

16 shots is gonna average 7 wounds.

1.16 failed saves + 1.16 mortals is 1-2 dead custodian guard dead per turn against shield guard.

Most lists bring 6-10 shield guard and a single contempter can kill 8 per game on average.


Just for perspective: 8 shield guard is 416pts. So shooting at an unoptimal target, the contemptor still kills x2 its own point cost.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/05/14 23:25:42


JOIN MY CRUSADE and gain 4000 RT points!
http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-PLCIKYCABW8PG 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






Also You can get -1AP in Dev doc too, so outside of Cover its more like 6.5 wounds, so you can easily kill 2 Custodes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/14 23:31:37


15k+
3k
Emperor's Spears 2k
Beastmen 9500
CoS: 3500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: