Switch Theme:

No more muckin' about - Proppa Ork Tactics Thread [Lists in spoilers or we'll krump ya]  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in no
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon




 flaming tadpole wrote:
So was looking over the orks lists Nick and Matt brought. Nick's list is basically the same except he's cut down slightly on the boyz squads to fit in a 3 man MANZ squad which I think is a good choice. Matt's list I found very interesting in particular. He has a similar list to Nick's except Zhardsnark instead of mega warboss and instead of 2x10 boyz squads he has 2x10 kommandos (also has MANZ but in a larger 7 man squad). The strat I found interesting in his list though, at least what I'm guessing he's doing, is for his third detachment he opted to take soup with a snakebite weirdboy, blood axe big mek, and bad moonz grots. The soup aspect is nothing new, but it didn't dawn on me until now when looking over the relics that he could give his blood axe big mek the finkin kap allowing him to take what I can only assume is the "I've got a plan, Ladz!" clan warlord trait allowing him to gain CP back. Anyways, just thought I'd share.

Which type of MANZ are they using? Combination of both types/just double saws/ just PK and kombi-weapons?
   
Made in nl
Regular Dakkanaut





Netherlands

Is it possible to mix Clans within a detachment? Or did I not understand you correctly.

   
Made in no
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon




You can, but then you don't get the benefit of the kulturs. So not worth it in most cases, you do get to use the stratagems though (assuming you fulfill the other prerequisites). Flash gitz can go in any detachment without breaking the clan structure
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy






PiñaColada wrote:
 flaming tadpole wrote:
So was looking over the orks lists Nick and Matt brought. Nick's list is basically the same except he's cut down slightly on the boyz squads to fit in a 3 man MANZ squad which I think is a good choice. Matt's list I found very interesting in particular. He has a similar list to Nick's except Zhardsnark instead of mega warboss and instead of 2x10 boyz squads he has 2x10 kommandos (also has MANZ but in a larger 7 man squad). The strat I found interesting in his list though, at least what I'm guessing he's doing, is for his third detachment he opted to take soup with a snakebite weirdboy, blood axe big mek, and bad moonz grots. The soup aspect is nothing new, but it didn't dawn on me until now when looking over the relics that he could give his blood axe big mek the finkin kap allowing him to take what I can only assume is the "I've got a plan, Ladz!" clan warlord trait allowing him to gain CP back. Anyways, just thought I'd share.

Which type of MANZ are they using? Combination of both types/just double saws/ just PK and kombi-weapons?
Just basic PK and kustom shootas
 Singleton Mosby wrote:
Is it possible to mix Clans within a detachment? Or did I not understand you correctly.

Yes, like Pina said you can mix different clans in the same detachment at the expense of no one getting to use klan kultures. On the flip side though it allows your HQ's to take a wider range of relics, stratagems, and warlord traits. There's really no reason not to do it with your last detachment, unless your fielding a SAG big mek that you want to have deathskulls. Most of the time your last detachment is just gonna be 30 grots and 2 HQ's so they're not gonna really benefit much from having kultures anyways so souping them up is actually a good tactic more times than not.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




 flaming tadpole wrote:
So was looking over the orks lists Nick and Matt brought. Nick's list is basically the same except he's cut down slightly on the boyz squads to fit in a 3 man MANZ squad which I think is a good choice. Matt's list I found very interesting in particular. He has a similar list to Nick's except Zhardsnark instead of mega warboss and instead of 2x10 boyz squads he has 2x10 kommandos (also has MANZ but in a larger 7 man squad). The strat I found interesting in his list though, at least what I'm guessing he's doing, is for his third detachment he opted to take soup with a snakebite weirdboy, blood axe big mek, and bad moonz grots. The soup aspect is nothing new, but it didn't dawn on me until now when looking over the relics that he could give his blood axe big mek the finkin kap allowing him to take what I can only assume is the "I've got a plan, Ladz!" clan warlord trait allowing him to gain CP back. Anyways, just thought I'd share.


What are matt and nicks second names. Trying to find them on BCP.
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy






CaptainO wrote:
 flaming tadpole wrote:
So was looking over the orks lists Nick and Matt brought. Nick's list is basically the same except he's cut down slightly on the boyz squads to fit in a 3 man MANZ squad which I think is a good choice. Matt's list I found very interesting in particular. He has a similar list to Nick's except Zhardsnark instead of mega warboss and instead of 2x10 boyz squads he has 2x10 kommandos (also has MANZ but in a larger 7 man squad). The strat I found interesting in his list though, at least what I'm guessing he's doing, is for his third detachment he opted to take soup with a snakebite weirdboy, blood axe big mek, and bad moonz grots. The soup aspect is nothing new, but it didn't dawn on me until now when looking over the relics that he could give his blood axe big mek the finkin kap allowing him to take what I can only assume is the "I've got a plan, Ladz!" clan warlord trait allowing him to gain CP back. Anyways, just thought I'd share.


What are matt and nicks second names. Trying to find them on BCP.
Nick Nanavati and Matthew Root.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Cheers.

Just looking through the top lists. Even with some of the "low number of drops" list they're averaging around 14/15 drops. Going forward id look at leaving my second squad of 30 boyz till last and then putting them in a telaporta if it resulted in me getting a +1 to go first. Obviously the advantage cant be taken in isolation but what are peoples thoughts on the return of spending 2CP to get the +1 to go first. P
   
Made in no
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon




Putting something in a tellyporta still counts as a drop though. Overall amount of drops matter way less now if you're playin with CA 2019.

I am a bit sad that we don't have any Orks in the top 8 at LVO but I'm also not surprised. Several players (really good ones at that) ran green tides because they're so anti-meta but even then it didn't really work. Had boyz still been priced at 6ppm that tactic might actually have worked..
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy






Ya unfortunately Nick and Steve both lossed to the same flyer spam soup player. Kind of an anticlimactic ending really. Everyone going into thinking maybe we'll finally see a more diverse top 8 and it ends up being probably the most monotonous top 8 ever lol. One things for sure though, 99% of people are gonna be rooting for the lone Tau player to win it all.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Actually looks like the 9th place chaos daemon player ended up getting in to the 8 so we have one other player we can root for haha.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/10 16:46:57


Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




PiñaColada wrote:
Putting something in a tellyporta still counts as a drop though. Overall amount of drops matter way less now if you're playin with CA 2019.

I am a bit sad that we don't have any Orks in the top 8 at LVO but I'm also not surprised. Several players (really good ones at that) ran green tides because they're so anti-meta but even then it didn't really work. Had boyz still been priced at 6ppm that tactic might actually have worked..


Was there a change in rules from CA 2019 /have i missunderstood. If i have placed 13 units and only have kommandos, deff koptas or stormboyz left plus a squad of boyz and my opponent has one more unit so i say im paying 2 cp to put the boyz in a teleporta/ reserve do i not count as finishing deploying and therefore count as finishing first giving me the +1 to the roll to go first. I get that the opponent can still roll to sieze on a 6 but my odds are better.
   
Made in gb
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






I have a lot of time for Nick and Steve but ultimately they finished 16th and 17th. I know I'm not as good a player as either so I need more of a power handicap.

There's going to be more flyer spam lists given their strength at LVO. We should expect to see them. My Eldar bud is going to run 3 Hemlocks in his competitive list from now on.

We need to adapt and to overcome. The top lists seem less reliant on stratagems, for me the Loota bomb is far too reliant on them. Perhaps Traktor cannons are the way forward? But I've seen a few smasha cannon lists and even they didn't do the work.

Honestly I think we should hope for points drops and a strong detachment in the next Vigilus book. Almost all or our units are far too expensive for their durability. Even the top performers. Personally I want to see a 30-50 pt drop on the buggies and bikes should come down to 17/18 ppm. Nob bikes at maybe 25 pts.
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





CaptainO wrote:
PiñaColada wrote:
Putting something in a tellyporta still counts as a drop though. Overall amount of drops matter way less now if you're playin with CA 2019.

I am a bit sad that we don't have any Orks in the top 8 at LVO but I'm also not surprised. Several players (really good ones at that) ran green tides because they're so anti-meta but even then it didn't really work. Had boyz still been priced at 6ppm that tactic might actually have worked..


Was there a change in rules from CA 2019 /have i missunderstood. If i have placed 13 units and only have kommandos, deff koptas or stormboyz left plus a squad of boyz and my opponent has one more unit so i say im paying 2 cp to put the boyz in a teleporta/ reserve do i not count as finishing deploying and therefore count as finishing first giving me the +1 to the roll to go first. I get that the opponent can still roll to sieze on a 6 but my odds are better.


CA2018 missions do not have alternating deployment and whoever deploys first, play first - no roll-off. Therefore drops don't matter at all.

That said, alternate deployments (tellyporta, hiding, etc) still count as drops for any mission that is counting those. Your unit of 30 boyz counts as one of your drops even if you pay 2CP to put them in tellyporta. Putting a unit into reserve for any reason is the same as putting it onto the table.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/10 19:32:13


 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





CaptainO wrote:
PiñaColada wrote:
Putting something in a tellyporta still counts as a drop though. Overall amount of drops matter way less now if you're playin with CA 2019.

I am a bit sad that we don't have any Orks in the top 8 at LVO but I'm also not surprised. Several players (really good ones at that) ran green tides because they're so anti-meta but even then it didn't really work. Had boyz still been priced at 6ppm that tactic might actually have worked..


Was there a change in rules from CA 2019 /have i missunderstood. If i have placed 13 units and only have kommandos, deff koptas or stormboyz left plus a squad of boyz and my opponent has one more unit so i say im paying 2 cp to put the boyz in a teleporta/ reserve do i not count as finishing deploying and therefore count as finishing first giving me the +1 to the roll to go first. I get that the opponent can still roll to sieze on a 6 but my odds are better.


You will be deploying whether you put them into board or reserves. You can put them on board or tellyporta and it's irrelevant. You just used drop. Only way to reduce drops is by using transports(particularly good to cram lots of IC's into trukk/battlewagon) as those count as 1 drop.

But if you are playing new style(CA) drops it's pretty much irrelevant. Don't think there's any effect for having more or less drops except the usual in game difference in how many units you have.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/11/29/tneva82-daemon-of-an-ancient-world/<- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
On a Canoptek Spyder's Waiting List






Been looking to start into a second army with Orkz and wanted to see if someone could point me towards a 1000 point list to start working on.
   
Made in ca
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot





 Tauris_Blazestar wrote:
Been looking to start into a second army with Orkz and wanted to see if someone could point me towards a 1000 point list to start working on.


That largely depends on what your preference is army list wise. Ork armies do their best when you focus on a specific theme, whether it be footslogging, mechanized/speed freek or dred mob.

As far as basics go you want at least some gretchin as troops choices to give you some much needed CP that helps our army function. Typically its good to start off with a battalion with 3 ten man unit of grots, followed by either a Weirdboy with the Da Jump psychic power and Warboss on warbike with the Killa Klaw relic (assuming your local meta lets you use index choices, otherwise regular Warbosses are fine too).

In terms of Klan Tactics, I would say starting off with Evil Sunz is probably a good idea because as a Klan tactic it is very noob friendly since it passively buffs pretty much all your units to go faster into combat, which is what you want for the vast majority of Ork units. Bad Moonz requires you to build around it with shooting units (usually Lootas, Dakkajets and Megatrakk Skrapjets). Deathskullz emphasizes you to do MSU to make the most of rerolls and is best used for brigades (which is probably too big for the 1k list you're aiming for). Goffs push towards Skarboy and Nob heavy lists due to even greater emphasis on CC, Snakebites give your units more resilience so they work out better for multi-wound model heavy armies. Freebootas require a specific type of army build as they can use Mek Gunz to help proc off their trait which is a flat +1 to hit to all other Freeboota units in either the shooting phase or assault phase when an enemy unit is completely destroyed. Blood Axes also are tricky to use, so I wouldn't suggest them for you until you have a better feel for the army.

Speaking of Mek Gun, they are a star unit in the Ork codex, primarily focused around the very cost efficient smasha gun. Traktor Kannons follow up afterwards, thanks to auto-hitting which make them an ideal choice against armies that have -1 to hit mods to shooting and can stack them like Eldar, KMK give you volume of shots in comparison to the previous two, with risk/reward by overheating, and unfortunately the Bubble Chukka is purely casual, being way too random to consider competitively.

Right now, the tellyporta stratagem is a staple for getting your mainline troop choices of boyz into combat, which work best as mobz of either 20-30 depending on points and what you're aiming for in terms of army composition. Combine this with da jump on another set of boyz or CC unit on T2, and you're forcing an immediate threat in your opponent's face, giving you board control and giving him a tough option in where to go T1. Dakkajets are crucial for getting rid of screens that your opponent might have to protect vulnerable units, between them and the boyz, they'll handle enemy infantry, while the Mek Gunz handle vehicles and monsters. Tankbustas in a trukk are also another good way of dealing with enemy armour.

One basic thing you'll have to accept when playing Orks is that you're going to take casualties, unlike some of the more resilient armies like DG, we don't get through games without getting bloodied, we just make sure the enemy gets beat in harder than we do.




My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard and they're like, hurr darry darr.


My suggestion to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy, if you have a bad wife you'll become a philosopher. 
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy






 Tauris_Blazestar wrote:
Been looking to start into a second army with Orkz and wanted to see if someone could point me towards a 1000 point list to start working on.
You can never go wrong with Boyz, grots, Warbosses, and Weirdboyz. The relevancy of pretty much everything else in our army is subject to change depending on CA's and the meta. You can try to pickup a couple black reach sets off ebay, that'll get you pretty close to 1000pts for dirt cheap. Then I'd just grab a squad or two of grots and a weirdboy or two and you'll be pretty much set for the core of your army.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





AoS Orruk range is a good source of Ork Weirdboy substitutes, as they are thin on the ground in the 40k range.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




 Jidmah wrote:
CaptainO wrote:
PiñaColada wrote:
Putting something in a tellyporta still counts as a drop though. Overall amount of drops matter way less now if you're playin with CA 2019.

I am a bit sad that we don't have any Orks in the top 8 at LVO but I'm also not surprised. Several players (really good ones at that) ran green tides because they're so anti-meta but even then it didn't really work. Had boyz still been priced at 6ppm that tactic might actually have worked..


Was there a change in rules from CA 2019 /have i missunderstood. If i have placed 13 units and only have kommandos, deff koptas or stormboyz left plus a squad of boyz and my opponent has one more unit so i say im paying 2 cp to put the boyz in a teleporta/ reserve do i not count as finishing deploying and therefore count as finishing first giving me the +1 to the roll to go first. I get that the opponent can still roll to sieze on a 6 but my odds are better.


CA2018 missions do not have alternating deployment and whoever deploys first, play first - no roll-off. Therefore drops don't matter at all.

That said, alternate deployments (tellyporta, hiding, etc) still count as drops for any mission that is counting those. Your unit of 30 boyz counts as one of your drops even if you pay 2CP to put them in tellyporta. Putting a unit into reserve for any reason is the same as putting it onto the table.


Cheers for clearing that up. I've been running 25+ drop AM in 8th (revived my 3rd edition orks upon the arrival of the codex) with minimal reserve option so I wasn't sure. I play mostly ITC so the alternative placement is still the norm (and probably will remain so in the tournament scene). I'd be intrigued to see the CA games in action though.
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Dunno. New season for ITC hasn't yet started. Think Reese wasn't dead set against new DZ system. But for example LVO it was too late as season rules had been set long time ago. If ITC uses it it was always going to be after LVO.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/11/29/tneva82-daemon-of-an-ancient-world/<- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




 An Actual Englishman wrote:
I have a lot of time for Nick and Steve but ultimately they finished 16th and 17th. I know I'm not as good a player as either so I need more of a power handicap.

There's going to be more flyer spam lists given their strength at LVO. We should expect to see them. My Eldar bud is going to run 3 Hemlocks in his competitive list from now on.

We need to adapt and to overcome. The top lists seem less reliant on stratagems, for me the Loota bomb is far too reliant on them. Perhaps Traktor cannons are the way forward? But I've seen a few smasha cannon lists and even they didn't do the work.

Honestly I think we should hope for points drops and a strong detachment in the next Vigilus book. Almost all or our units are far too expensive for their durability. Even the top performers. Personally I want to see a 30-50 pt drop on the buggies and bikes should come down to 17/18 ppm. Nob bikes at maybe 25 pts.


More Dakka is basically "anti aircraft strat" with the bonus of exploding 5s. Our other option is more flyer assaulting Stormboyz.... until you come up against a Hemlock and its flying S12 flamer Traktor cannons are designed for flyers. The fact they hit automatically means it negates the Heavy 1. Popping them out from behind LoS blocking walls (all bottom floors in ITC) is the way forward. Its only 3" but thats enough to pop around a corner and take a reasonable number of wounds off a flyer.

I wouldn't hold my breath for more vigalus detachments. We already have 4. Dark eldar and Chaos are mentioned as being on Vigalus so I think they're going to get some.

Points drops are a long way off.

My "Badmoon, dread Mob, big killa boss, Super SAG, Mek, who spends 6CP a turn" (the fact he's so pricey/flashy is kind of fluffy as a Bad Moon) ripped through a Talos bomb this weekend. The fact they have the monstrous keyword, are T6 and hate mortal wounds meant they did not like him.

I honestly think the "Badmoon, dread Mob, big killa boss, Super SAG, Mek, who spends 6CP a turn" is going to be our smash captain equivalent. He's that good. BDMBKBSSAGM is a bit of an unwieldy acronym though.
   
Made in no
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon




I doubt the big mek build will gain any real sorts of traction but I could be wrong. It's just so many CPs spent and all those CPs need to be generated from something, either grots or boyz. So either its a pure green tide or your just giving up so many easy kill points /butchers bill in ITC.

Stormboyz don't do enough damage to realistically kill a lot of fliers so they'll just move away and shoot. I think a big issue is that the DE fliers are 135 points and the CHE is 161 points, both of those costs are jokes compared to most other fliers in the game. The hemlock is 210 points but never degrades so it's risky choosing that as your target.

On a more fun note, the crazy abbreviation wouldn't have to be his name. The term slamginius doesn't describe exactly what he has in wargear/traits, it describes what he does on the battlefield.
Something like the "soopa mek" could easily work.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




You're spot on with the downside of a 10man squad of grots. Putting them inside some ITC magic boxes is probably the only option. Then again if stuff is firing at grots they're not firing at your good stuff.

Flyers are definitely an issue for orks. Arguably our "always hit on 6s" means we're not as badly off as AM or other BS 4 guys who can be effected by -2 to hits.

The big mek build undoubtedly costs an all merciful amount of CPs to run. Could be called a "Big spender Mek" .

Not to keep pushing him but The Big spender Mek has the added benefit of being a character so can only be targeted by snipers. I surrounded him with 3 x10 grots. They'll be taking those mortal wounds on a 2+. He's easier to protect than lootas that way.
   
Made in nl
Regular Dakkanaut





Netherlands

CaptainO wrote:
My "Badmoon, dread Mob, big killa boss, Super SAG, Mek, who spends 6CP a turn" (the fact he's so pricey/flashy is kind of fluffy as a Bad Moon) ripped through a Talos bomb this weekend. The fact they have the monstrous keyword, are T6 and hate mortal wounds meant they did not like him.

I honestly think the "Badmoon, dread Mob, big killa boss, Super SAG, Mek, who spends 6CP a turn" is going to be our smash captain equivalent. He's that good. BDMBKBSSAGM is a bit of an unwieldy acronym though.


On what do you spend these 6CP a turn? And why should you field him as a Badmoon character if there's also the possibility of using him Freebootaz and let him hit on 4's?

   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




 Singleton Mosby wrote:
CaptainO wrote:
My "Badmoon, dread Mob, big killa boss, Super SAG, Mek, who spends 6CP a turn" (the fact he's so pricey/flashy is kind of fluffy as a Bad Moon) ripped through a Talos bomb this weekend. The fact they have the monstrous keyword, are T6 and hate mortal wounds meant they did not like him.

I honestly think the "Badmoon, dread Mob, big killa boss, Super SAG, Mek, who spends 6CP a turn" is going to be our smash captain equivalent. He's that good. BDMBKBSSAGM is a bit of an unwieldy acronym though.


On what do you spend these 6CP a turn? And why should you field him as a Badmoon character if there's also the possibility of using him Freebootaz and let him hit on 4's?


The Big Spender Mek (thats right I'm pushing for this name ) takes the Big Killa Warlord trait and the Super SAG. He spends 2CP on "more Dakka" which lasts for all of his shooting phase hitting everything (i.e. flyers) on 5+ and also generating shots on 5s and 6s. As an aside this also allows him to move and shoot negating the -1 to move.

As a Dread Mob member he spends another 2CP on kustom ammo to fire again and then as Bad moon infantry he can shoot yet again for the final 2CP. Bad moons also allow him to reroll 1s to hit. If he was only shooting once that wouldn't mean much but since he's shooting 3 times averaging 21 shots (which with more dakka actually means 28 shots) the reroll 1s is awesome.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
I did the maths for this last week but I've tidied it up a bit.

21 shots hitting on 5+ due to more dakka =7 initial hits
3.5 rerolls from reroll 1s at 5+ =1.2 extra hits
8.2 total 5s & 6s which means 8.2 extra shots

8.2 shots hitting on 5+ = 2.66 more hits
1,4 rerolls from reroll 1s = 0.5ish
rounding up to 3 extra hits

Total of 11 (rounding down) hits.

Weapon strength is S7 on average.

Against T8 opponents (those knights) S5 to S7 wounds on a 5+. However as a Big Killa Boss you add 1 to wound.

That means each of the three times you shoot there is an 83% chance you'll roll a S5 on 2d6 which means 11 hits with a gun that can wound a knight on a 4+, a 42% chance you're going to wound a knight on a 3+ and a 28% chance you'll wound on a 2+.

Each time you roll for strength there's only an 8% chance you'll get those sweet mortal wounds but if you save your 1 "shooting phase CP reroll" that possibility goes up to 20%. It makes sense to only use the reroll when one of your 2d6 strength dice is already a 6.

As I said this is a huge CP sink but the Faq says you can change targets when using "showing off" so if that knight is down to 1 wound you can focus fire else where. Its not 100% clear if this is also the case with "Kustom ammo".

I'm not denying this is a massive CP sink but the Big Spender Mek is your man if you have to take that knight down.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/11 15:40:49


 
   
Made in no
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon




I haven't really looked at your math but I assume it's right, I can't really be bothered to check right now. Say you do get those 11 hits on a knight. That translates to 5-6 wounds most likely, say 6 for arguments sake, that needs to pass a 3++ invuln. 2 get through and even if he doesn't reroll 1 of them you've averaged 7 damage, out of 28 wounds. He spends 1cp to operate at maximum efficiency next turn even if you manage to bring down 14 wounds or more on him. Even if he doesn't spend 3CP on rotate ion shields you still get 3 wounds though averaging 10.5 wounds, not enough for a bracket. Obviously the weapon is insanely swingy but still.

No, that big mek is not good against IK, it is however pretty decent against supersonic flyer spam.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




I run the Big Spenda Mek in a battalion

Bad Moon Battalion
Dread Mob Special detachment (-1 CP)

HQ
Big Spenda Mek with SAG
Weirdboy

3x10 grots

Morkanaut

The Morkanaut benefits massively from the bad moonz reroll 1s and has the option of using kustom ammo. I haven't looked into running him as a Freeboota but there are a few downsides.
1) you don't have access to showing off strat
2) You still need to destroy a unit before getting the +1 to hit. This is going to be tough against 3 knights
3) -1 to hit are going to effect you, negating your +1 (especially flyers)
4) My morkanaut (who I take predominantly for his KFF) takes mortal wounds from firing his kustom blasta weapons.

A freeboota big spender will result in 9.5 hits on average if he's able to get that +1. That 1.5 less wounds will save 2CP which could be beneficial but thats after adding in even more variables to a unit that already has a random strength and number of shots.

Don't get me wrong +1 to hit is awesome I just thinks its more situationally reliant.
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine




Douglasville, GA

I think our best option against Knights is still getting some MANz up in their face.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




PiñaColada wrote:
I haven't really looked at your math but I assume it's right, I can't really be bothered to check right now. Say you do get those 11 hits on a knight. That translates to 5-6 wounds most likely, say 6 for arguments sake, that needs to pass a 3++ invuln. 2 get through and even if he doesn't reroll 1 of them you've averaged 7 damage, out of 28 wounds. He spends 1cp to operate at maximum efficiency next turn even if you manage to bring down 14 wounds or more on him. Even if he doesn't spend 3CP on rotate ion shields you still get 3 wounds though averaging 10.5 wounds, not enough for a bracket. Obviously the weapon is insanely swingy but still.

No, that big mek is not good against IK, it is however pretty decent against supersonic flyer spam.


Oh ya he's the definition of swingy. By shooting 3 separate times mathematically the swing does decrease. As I said the Big Killa boss means you've actually got a 42% chance of wounding on 3+ which ups it. This is on top of the possibility of getting S11/S12 and therefore D3 mortal wounds per hit. While only an 8% chance each time this also benefits from firing three times (also if you're super spendy you can use a CP reroll on the strength .

I'm pretty sure he is the best ork shooting units against IK (could be wrong). Even a mobbed up squad of 25 lootas (which costs waaaaay more) wouldn't do that more damage to a Knight. This highlights our limited options for taking down knights more than anything else.

It would take a lot more maths but I think he could definitely take a knight down in two turns. As I said he benefits from being a character so can't really be targeted. A prime target for assassins if ever I saw one.

Also against multiple knights he can switch fire using showing off to one that isn't using ion shields (lootas can do the same).
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest






I don't think you can use Kustom Ammo and Showin' Off on the same unit, each stratagem allows you to 'shoot twice' rather than 'shoot again'/'an additional time' etc.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




 flandarz wrote:
I think our best option against Knights is still getting some MANz up in their face.


Ya 100%. We saw the top orks players with these in the ITC. Unfortunately Knights (should) come properly bubble wrapped preventing a T1 and possibly T2 charge.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
xlDuke wrote:
I don't think you can use Kustom Ammo and Showin' Off on the same unit, each stratagem allows you to 'shoot twice' rather than 'shoot again'/'an additional time' etc.


I've not seen anywhere you can't use both strats together. By all means this could be changed but it won't be until the big FAQ if it does.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Make Orky hay while the sun shines

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/02/11 16:22:59


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: