Switch Theme:

Necron New 9th Edition Codex Tactica: All Hail The Silent King  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Cabin Zombie






Man I wish they got Dynasty Traits. The Nephrekh 6++ and +6” ignore terrain run would be sweet.

 
   
Made in gb
Loyal Necron Lychguard





 AduroT wrote:
Man I wish they got Dynasty Traits. The Nephrekh 6++ and +6” ignore terrain run would be sweet.

They do if you take them in a Superheavy Detachment.

I think we have enough going for us in LoW that we could probably come up with a viable list that uses 3 of them.

Quite what that is I am not sure, but I'm certain it can be done

Experience is something you get just after you need it
The Narkos Dynasty - 15k
Iron Hands - 12k
The Shadewatch - 3k
Cadmus Outriders - 4k
Alpha Legion Raiders - 3k  
   
Made in hk
Longtime Dakkanaut





I feel that the Monolith is actually a skew unit. Some armies may find it extremely difficult to kill and to have something like that for just 360 points is not bad. But against other armies it will be a liability because they have the tools to kill it or they can play their mission fine while ignoring it.

Don't forget it has a 2+ armor save and T8. Low AP shots are a bad matchup for it and Str 8 guns only wound it on a 4+.

Position it strategically to block a chokepoint, and unless your opponent has fly, nothing on his side may be able to get through that chokepoint.

Or place it alone on a rear objective to guard that objective all 5 turns while still shooting all 5 turns. Its probably immune to many of the units that typically go after rear objectives.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/06/05 09:07:55


 
   
Made in us
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker





 IHateNids wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
Man I wish they got Dynasty Traits. The Nephrekh 6++ and +6” ignore terrain run would be sweet.

They do if you take them in a Superheavy Detachment.

I think we have enough going for us in LoW that we could probably come up with a viable list that uses 3 of them.

Quite what that is I am not sure, but I'm certain it can be done

Szarekh and two monoliths, I guess? I don't think the vault makes the cut even for this kind of list and the obelisk definitely doesn't. Of course if the SK is your third LOW then that has to be a Szarekhan detachment which isn't amazing for the monolith.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/05 09:03:18


 
   
Made in ca
Discriminating Deathmark Assassin






 Arachnofiend wrote:

Szarekh and two monoliths, I guess? I don't think the vault makes the cut even for this kind of list and the obelisk definitely doesn't. Of course if the SK is your third LOW then that has to be a Szarekhan detachment which isn't amazing for the monolith.


Isn't Szarekh a Dynastic Agent? So he doesn't prevent other units in his detachment from gaining a Dynastic Code, so you can still get 2 Nephrekh Monoliths.

See what's on my painting table Now painting: Last Night on Earth 
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






I did the math once on a King and Monolith Pair army and I think it was just more points that I wanted to put into it. I dunno. I’m currently painting my Monolith, and in a moment of foolishness I got a King but haven’t assembled him yet. Maybe once he’s painted I’ll say F it and grab a second Monolith just to do a heavy skew.

I just… I just wanna Dimensional Corridor a unit 17” off the Deployment Line turn one. That’s practically a second Veil.

 
   
Made in us
Mysterious Techpriest






Do you guys think the new titanic 3-inch terrain rule will help the monolith's mobility?

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





A little, I guess. My problem with its mobility was always trying to move it through forests/ruins, which are > 3 inches high.

It WILL help with craters, but I'm not sure that's sufficient. It really wants the Fly rule very badly.

All in all, fact is that Warhammer 40K has never been as balanced as it is now, and codex releases have never been as interesting as they are now (new units and vehicles and tons of new special rules/strategies each release -- not just the same old crap with a few changes in statlines and points costs).

-Therion
_______________________________________

New Codexia's Finest Hour - my fluff about the change between codexes, roughly novel length. 
   
Made in de
Prophetic Blood Angel Librarian






Germany

 CKO wrote:
Do you guys think the new titanic 3-inch terrain rule will help the monolith's mobility?


It helps a little, but a monolith is still pretty much immobile, and too expensive. It really needs FLY.
   
Made in gb
Loyal Necron Lychguard





What rule is this?

I've missed a lot recently

Experience is something you get just after you need it
The Narkos Dynasty - 15k
Iron Hands - 12k
The Shadewatch - 3k
Cadmus Outriders - 4k
Alpha Legion Raiders - 3k  
   
Made in de
Prophetic Blood Angel Librarian






Germany

*Page 262 – Difficult Ground
Change this rule to read:
‘If a unit makes a Normal Move, Advances or Falls Back, and any
of its models wish to move over any part of this terrain feature,
subtract 2" from the Move characteristic of every model in that
unit (to a minimum of 0), even if every part of this terrain feature
is 1" or less in height. If a unit declares a charge, and any of its
models wish to move over any part of this terrain feature as
part of its subsequent charge move, subtract 2 from that unit’s
charge roll, even if every part of this terrain feature is 1" or less
in height. These modifiers do not apply if every model in the
moving unit can Fly. These modifiers do not apply if every model
in the moving unit is Titanic and this terrain feature is less than
3" in height. The height of a terrain feature is measured from the
highest point on that terrain feature.’
   
Made in dk
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






 p5freak wrote:
*Page 262 – Difficult Ground

That doesn't help you move over a 1,5" fence.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/07 05:09:21


 
   
Made in gb
Loyal Necron Lychguard





p5freak wrote:
*Page 262 – Difficult Ground
Change this rule to read:
‘If a unit makes a Normal Move, Advances or Falls Back, and any
of its models wish to move over any part of this terrain feature,
subtract 2" from the Move characteristic of every model in that
unit (to a minimum of 0), even if every part of this terrain feature
is 1" or less in height. If a unit declares a charge, and any of its
models wish to move over any part of this terrain feature as
part of its subsequent charge move, subtract 2 from that unit’s
charge roll, even if every part of this terrain feature is 1" or less
in height. These modifiers do not apply if every model in the
moving unit can Fly. These modifiers do not apply if every model
in the moving unit is Titanic and this terrain feature is less than
3" in height.
The height of a terrain feature is measured from the
highest point on that terrain feature.’


vict0988 wrote:
 p5freak wrote:
*Page 262 – Difficult Ground

That doesn't help you move over a 1,5" fence.


Uh... I dont wanna sound agressive, but how doesn't it?

Experience is something you get just after you need it
The Narkos Dynasty - 15k
Iron Hands - 12k
The Shadewatch - 3k
Cadmus Outriders - 4k
Alpha Legion Raiders - 3k  
   
Made in dk
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






 IHateNids wrote:
p5freak wrote:
*Page 262 – Difficult Ground
Change this rule to read:
‘If a unit makes a Normal Move, Advances or Falls Back, and any
of its models wish to move over any part of this terrain feature,
subtract 2" from the Move characteristic of every model in that
unit (to a minimum of 0), even if every part of this terrain feature
is 1" or less in height. If a unit declares a charge, and any of its
models wish to move over any part of this terrain feature as
part of its subsequent charge move, subtract 2 from that unit’s
charge roll, even if every part of this terrain feature is 1" or less
in height. These modifiers do not apply if every model in the
moving unit can Fly. These modifiers do not apply if every model
in the moving unit is Titanic and this terrain feature is less than
3" in height.
The height of a terrain feature is measured from the
highest point on that terrain feature.’


vict0988 wrote:
 p5freak wrote:
*Page 262 – Difficult Ground

That doesn't help you move over a 1,5" fence.


Uh... I dont wanna sound agressive, but how doesn't it?

Not aggressive at all, you're just taking "These modifiers do not apply if every model
in the moving unit is Titanic and this terrain feature is less than 3" in height." which refers to the rules about subtracting 2 from your movement and charge distance for difficult ground and applying it as if it says "A TITANIC model can be moved over terrain features that are 3" or less in height as if they were not there – any vertical distance up and/or down that they would have to make to traverse such terrain features is ignored." which is not what the rule says. You still have to go up, over and down terrain features like barricades, you just ignore the -2 penalty for difficult ground if it's less than 3" tall.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/08 08:27:51


 
   
Made in de
Prophetic Blood Angel Librarian






Germany

 vict0988 wrote:

Not aggressive at all, you're just taking "These modifiers do not apply if every model
in the moving unit is Titanic and this terrain feature is less than 3" in height." which refers to the rules about subtracting 2 from your movement and charge distance for difficult ground and applying it as if it says "A TITANIC model can be moved over terrain features that are 3" or less in height as if they were not there – any vertical distance up and/or down that they would have to make to traverse such terrain features is ignored." which is not what the rule says. You still have to go up, over and down terrain features like barricades, you just ignore the -2 penalty for difficult ground if it's less than 3" tall.


Which helps a little, but not much. Titanic models should ignore all terrain that is less than 3" in height.
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





St. Louis, MO

The other problem with the monolith is it has solid shooting but to fully make use of the points, you really have to maximize use of the portal and related strats, and it takes a lot of points to do that as well. In addition, ignoring the movement problems, getting it into position to apply guys through the portal in time for it to make a difference is strongly dependent on match up and the stars aligning correctly. There are a lot of restrictions on when you can use these abilities that don't play well together. "Can't be used in the first turn." "Can't be used if you moved this turn."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/08 14:37:24


11,100 pts, 7,000 pts
++ Heed my words for I am the Herald and we are the footsteps of doom. Interlopers, do we name you. Defilers of our
sacred earth. We have awoken to your primative species and will not tolerate your presence. Ours is the way of logic,
of cold hard reason: your irrationality, your human disease has no place in the necrontyr. Flesh is weak.
Surrender to the machine incarnate. Surrender and die.
++

Tuagh wrote: If you won't use a wrench, it isn't the bolt's fault that your hammer is useless.
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




What is the best character to put a VoD on? I currently have it set up on my chronomancer, but I don’t want it to teleport alongside the warriors because it will be nuked immediately after, and even if not, it is out of position for buffing the rest of my army in subsequent turns.
   
Made in dk
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






teamtigerstripe wrote:
What is the best character to put a VoD on? I currently have it set up on my chronomancer, but I don’t want it to teleport alongside the warriors because it will be nuked immediately after, and even if not, it is out of position for buffing the rest of my army in subsequent turns.

Royal Warden/Destroyer Lord - aggressive
Any other character - defensive

For defensive purposes, you want to be able to split your fall back + shoot, for offence the melee of Destroyer Lord, RF of Royal Warden + his buff is more valuable so close to the enemy than any other buff.
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






I’d still call the Royal Warden defensive. He’s just keeping out of melee of you’re worried about getting tied up. Chrono/Technomancer for their obvious benefits. Plas/Psychomancer are what I’d call the offensive ones, as well as Lords.

 
   
Made in dk
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






 AduroT wrote:
I’d still call the Royal Warden defensive. He’s just keeping out of melee of you’re worried about getting tied up. Chrono/Technomancer for their obvious benefits. Plas/Psychomancer are what I’d call the offensive ones, as well as Lords.

Why put the Veil on a Royal Warden instead of another character in your list if you want to use the Veil defensively? The only reason I can think of would be because you are giving the other character the Voltaic Staff.
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






What? I never use a Veil defensively, I’m just referring to how the character itself acts when it gets there. Is it lending its weigh to the offense or working to protect the unit it transported. The Warden, Chrono, and Techno utilize their abilities to defend their charge, while the Plas, Psycho, and Destroyer Lord more just go murder happy when they get there.

 
   
Made in fi
Ye Lord of The End Times (and a good guy)





 AduroT wrote:
What? I never use a Veil defensively, I’m just referring to how the character itself acts when it gets there. Is it lending its weigh to the offense or working to protect the unit it transported. The Warden, Chrono, and Techno utilize their abilities to defend their charge, while the Plas, Psycho, and Destroyer Lord more just go murder happy when they get there.


It ensures your good melee unit doesn't end up tarpitted and have to waste time finishing off remnants of squad rather than hunt in for bigger fish.

2021 painted/bought: 538/575 
   
Made in de
Ladies Love the Vibro-Cannon Operator






Hamburg

 AduroT wrote:
What? I never use a Veil defensively, I’m just referring to how the character itself acts when it gets there. Is it lending its weigh to the offense or working to protect the unit it transported. The Warden, Chrono, and Techno utilize their abilities to defend their charge, while the Plas, Psycho, and Destroyer Lord more just go murder happy when they get there.

Defensively it what sense?

You could veil a unit to occupy a mission objective outside of your deployment zone. If the objective is close to your zone or in midfield, no need to veil in general. If it's in the enemy deployment zone, your unit is exposed to a lot of incoming enemy fire. I'd think twice to do so. It depends on terrain and the distribution of the enemy army on the battle field. This could be useful in mid- or endgame when the enemy has moved part of its army forward.

Former moderator 40kOnline

Lanchester's square law - please obey in list building!

Illumini: "And thank you for not finishing your post with a "" I'm sorry, but after 7200 's that has to be the most annoying sign-off ever."

Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Blood Angels, Grey Knights; World Eaters (30k); Bloodbound; Cryx, Circle, Cyriss 
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






 wuestenfux wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
What? I never use a Veil defensively, I’m just referring to how the character itself acts when it gets there. Is it lending its weigh to the offense or working to protect the unit it transported. The Warden, Chrono, and Techno utilize their abilities to defend their charge, while the Plas, Psycho, and Destroyer Lord more just go murder happy when they get there.

Defensively it what sense?

You could veil a unit to occupy a mission objective outside of your deployment zone. If the objective is close to your zone or in midfield, no need to veil in general. If it's in the enemy deployment zone, your unit is exposed to a lot of incoming enemy fire. I'd think twice to do so. It depends on terrain and the distribution of the enemy army on the battle field. This could be useful in mid- or endgame when the enemy has moved part of its army forward.


Why are you asking me? I’m not the one who said using a Veil defensively.

 
   
Made in dk
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






Using a Veil offensively is using it as early as possible to deal damage and apply pressure.

Using a Veil defensively is using it to react to your opponent's charges or movement or to grab an objective later in the game.
   
Made in us
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Nebraska, USA

Warden is awesome for veil because generally unless you are facing someone that can effortlessly wipe a 20man necron unit, theyre gonna end up in melee if anything just to stop them from shooting.
Warden just lets them back off freely.

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

14000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
6000pts Admech/Knights
7500pts Necron Goldboys 
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






 Vineheart01 wrote:
Warden is awesome for veil because generally unless you are facing someone that can effortlessly wipe a 20man necron unit, theyre gonna end up in melee if anything just to stop them from shooting.
Warden just lets them back off freely.

It really has to be the chronomancer. A 20 man warrior without the 5++ is a waste.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker





Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high

 Xenomancers wrote:
 Vineheart01 wrote:
Warden is awesome for veil because generally unless you are facing someone that can effortlessly wipe a 20man necron unit, theyre gonna end up in melee if anything just to stop them from shooting.
Warden just lets them back off freely.

It really has to be the chronomancer. A 20 man warrior without the 5++ is a waste.


This man speaks truth. The 5++ is the thing that makes 20 man squads last long enough to actually make use of RP, technomancers, and res orbs.

Bedouin Dynasty: 10000 pts
The Silver Lances: 4000 pts
The Custodes Winter Watch 4000 pts

MajorStoffer wrote:
...
Sternguard though, those guys are all about kicking ass. They'd chew bubble gum as well, but bubble gum is heretical. Only tau chew gum. 
   
Made in us
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Nebraska, USA

Oh yeah theres that too, i usually end up using the Chrono but sometimes i opt out of that since that usually shoe-horns him to ONLY buffing THAT squad instead of moving on to a less-damaged squad later on.

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

14000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
6000pts Admech/Knights
7500pts Necron Goldboys 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Thanks for the ideas. Follow-up question: I was not previously thinking about the warden because my starting build is Mephrit and runs the warden using the conduit of the stars. Is the conduit a good enough relic to justify the VoD on someone else like the chrono in a Mephrit list?
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: