Okay, at last something to show. Not much, but it's something.. I've built a couple more 40k
Skaven, and also begun working on a SM
Scout Squad. I'm still working on the bases for the Skaven, no pics of those yet.
First the Skaven. I've built a sneaky sniper and another riflerat, though with a small conversion this time. To reflect the idea that these guys are using any old hardware that can be mustered, I wanted some autoguns in their hands. I converted one from a Cadian lasgun by changing the magazine to one from a bolter, and took a barrel from an old Catachan lasgun.
The sniper was a bit more involved conversion. I wanted to use a Skitarii rifle, and with it would come the hands and arms as well. I did want to retain the Cadian shoulder pads though, so I needed to do some cutting. It didn't go quite as nicely as I'd envisioned, and before greenstuffing I was a bit unsure if I had botched the arms. After the sculpting I reckon he looks good, no need for a redo. Which is good as all the Skitarii rifles are unique, so I couldn't get the same pose again.
I originally thought that the sniper wouldn't be carrying a lot of equipment on him, "traveling light" instead. But he seemed to need something on his back to balance the rifle on the front. Happily I recently received my small order from Kromlech
(more on this later), and they had put in two freebie backpacks
as well. I felt the other one was perfect for the sniper, and it even fit without any cutting.
Then on to the Scouts. I've actually had the Scout kit and the Scion heads to go with it for a long time, but before I got to building them, I saw West_minis' brilliant Crimson Fists Scouts
, that used Scion backpacks as well as the heads. Naturally I had to put the project on hold until I could get my hands on the rest of the Scions kit. This happened last week, and I set to work. The shotgunners were pretty straightforward, requiring only cutting down their back humps and a bit of greenstuff on their necks. Though I got to say that the arms were a right pain to get aligned. Still not sure if they're how they're supposed to.. I'm pretty sure I won't be building another Scout squad after this (other than the Sniper squad I've got in my pile of shame..).
The sergeant on the other hand required more cutting and fixing, as I once again wanted to retain the original shoulderpads. With a bit of creative cutting and some putty, the Scion bolt pistol and power fist arms fit the Scout model pretty great! He's also got a regular Space Marine head from the mkIV kit. It took some effort to attach, as I didn't have a correct drill bit, but I got there in the end. I also cut off the service stud from his forehead.
I started painting the Skaven tonight, making good progress on the robes. I'm hoping to finish them before the end of the month, to enter in Azazel's August challenge. Maybe I could also squeeze in a Scout or two.. Might be a bit too optimistic though.