Switch Theme:

Parabellum Conquest  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





 Carnikang wrote:
I can't wait until the Avatara of all kinds get released. The Cav Avatara are amazing, and the big spindly ones have got me jonesing to see the rest of the line. I'm very keen to see what the Desolation Beast looks like...

Also, I know it's meant to be a mass battle game, but have you tried playing with tighter, more restricting terrain Auticus?
Part of me wants to try out a "cityfight" with wide avenues and buildings. But the scale of it might be a bit restrictive.


Funny you say that. My Stornlands campaign has rules for city fight because two of the tiles you can fight on are cities.

http://www.louisvillewargaming.com/Conquest/Stornlands.pdf

I have a house rule for those types of battles where you can split out your stands due to the terrain.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
VBS wrote:
Just received my Spire Infiltrators+Preceptor. Again, very impressed with the quality. Rocking my 100K t-shirt too

Spires are my absolute favorites, can see myself getting everything. On Halloween my interest might shift towards the Undead (love the Byzantine gloomy angel artwork). Also looking forward to the KS with alternative Conquest related games and everything else.

Yes, I'm quite excited


I love two things in fantasy wargaming: chaos / evil knights and undead. So undead will definitely be my bag when they come out.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
NewTruthNeomaxim wrote:
100 Kingdoms and Spires. I suspect we will end up with all four before the Orcs and Undead come out, but I just really like the aesthetic of these factions.

Spire being suuuuuch a novel take on Elves, vs traditional humans feels like a cool match-up.

I almost went Nord for their Ugrs, but Spire Avataras were just too gorgeous.


Man I've got all four now on my painting table. I've completed 1250 painted of 100k and spires. 600 painted of dweghom. 0 painted of nords. And I just got my shipment of militia and vanguard in lol. I'll be busy busy. I want 2000 points of all four factions for demos and to be able to bounce into whatever faction I'm needed for campaigns.

For tournament play I'll be doing spire for right now. I'm going to be doing some traveling with this game I see, and I will definitely be at Adepticon 2021, fates willing.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
NewTruthNeomaxim wrote:
There's a Conquest Kickstarter in the future?


There is a retailer video you need to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2vBr6W6cw

Its long but he goes over the future of the game in 2020. I do believe there is a kickstarter yes. There is a lot coming down the pipe.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/02/14 00:02:22


GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Powerful Spawning Champion





W'hdrun in the future! Aztecamayan orcs riding dinosaurs is my jam.

I really hope my 100 Kingdoms counterpart gets his butt into gear and at least agrees to playing a game so we can start getting the rules down. Atm, he's been lax because of AoS (and tbh, so have I waiting for my army to get it's book). That shouldn't be too much of an issue in the future if more people take interest.

PourSpelur wrote:
It's fully within the rules for me to look up your Facebook page, find out your dear Mother Gladys is single, take her on a lovely date, and tell you all the details of our hot, sweaty, animal sex during your psychic phase.
I mean, fifty bucks is on the line.
There's no rule that says I can't.
Hive Fleet Hercual - 6760pts
Hazaak Dynasty - 3400 pts
Seraphon - 4600pts
 
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





Yeah. We're on the point where its "wait for other people to play before I commit" from a lot of players. Thats understandable. GW games are driven not by their rulesets, but by the massive community and knowing you'll always have games regardless of rules quality.

However this game system, the world, the models, there is something there that rekindled why I got into fantasy wargaming in the first place all of those years ago. I think by end of summer, things will be picking up pace, and by Adepticon 2021 I see the conquest room being on par with the kings of war room if not a little bigger.

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Powerful Spawning Champion





I really hope so. Depending on the next year or so, it may become the main focus of my hobby time as well. I've got numerous other small games and forces for dead games, but this one has struck my fancy hard. The art, the lore, the whole design aesthetic is great.

PourSpelur wrote:
It's fully within the rules for me to look up your Facebook page, find out your dear Mother Gladys is single, take her on a lovely date, and tell you all the details of our hot, sweaty, animal sex during your psychic phase.
I mean, fifty bucks is on the line.
There's no rule that says I can't.
Hive Fleet Hercual - 6760pts
Hazaak Dynasty - 3400 pts
Seraphon - 4600pts
 
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





Thats exactly where I'm coming from. And yeah... my collection is so massive I need to start donating and hitting ebay. So I feel that. Adding more to that collection is painful but in this case I've been doing nothing but non stop daily painting on my conquest armies and we have two campaign days a month now playing it.

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I actually sped through that Youtube vid thinking all the highlights were an Orc preview, and news about Skirmish/Dungeon Crawl. That is my bad.

Waiting for stuff to arrive I already wish I had ordered more of the newest kits. I think at 2000pts I will want two units of at least six stands of Militia, and that isn't even accounting for the ranged versions I will want.

Not even gonna mention how much I expect my wife will want a few units of the Vanguard.


11527pts Total (7400pts painted)

4980pts Total (4980pts painted)

3730 Total (210pts painted) 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

While the starter set is an amazing deal, price is not so cut and dry an issue as you make it seem, and neither is scale.

The sprues that came with my starter for everything but the knights felt stingy. There were seemingly no extra optional bits or frills of any kind. The pose ability and variety of weapon arms felt minimal. Add this to gather with the shocking quality of the base troops—the sculpts for the men at arms had the detail of 20mm minis blown up to 35mm—and the stand alone boxes no longer seem like a good deal.

Yes, if you’re into the game they’re fine. The problem is that the minis acted as a large red flag that kept me from getting into a minis range I had planned to go all into. Furthermore, the lack of fluff or any hook other than dry crunch and barebones tokenminis in the starter told me Conquest did not want me as a customer. It’s great you like the game, but to me this went from 0 to WMH MK2 levels of unapproachability when I ordered the starter.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





There's literally a mountain of lore on the website which they just reorganized, and a lore book coming out. :-) The lore is shockingly good too.

https://www.para-bellum.com/us/what-is-new/lore/

11527pts Total (7400pts painted)

4980pts Total (4980pts painted)

3730 Total (210pts painted) 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

I look forward to buying and reading the lore book. Hope that sparks a renewal of interest for me.

   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





You're right you aren't bludgeoned with a ton of options and bits. You get some, but nothing compared to GW.

However I will say when I examine that particular caveat, I have bits that stretch back 20 years and I use maybe 1% of those bits later, so I ask myself "is this really a big deal?"

Then I remind myself of how much i really dislike AOS as a ruleset and how I haven't had a fantasy game that I've truly enjoyed since like 2006 but have played simply because nothing was around other than what was out and the community was as big as it was so that kept me involved in the gw universe.

There is also that I come from a historicals background where that kind of thing is not a big deal so to me it (not having a lot of bits) was not something I even considered, though I do see your point and how someone can see that as a big negative.

In regards to price, they are cheaper than GW but are not "cheap". So that means indeed people will balk at playing the game as they did with warhammer fantasy because if they have to spend more than $200 (that was at least the threshold of price back in 2015 based on polls, thats why I use that figure) then that was a flat no (and why the third party market was so popular and whfb had a lot of players in spite of the price because you could get a full sized whfb army for $150-$200 on ebay or barter town or other 3rd party sites)

Your complaint about the lore is valid, and they are addressing that with a book that is dropping as NewTruthNewMaxim posted above.


GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

My point was that Parabellum have targeted one subfaction of gamers and made a game for them. That’s great for you, since you’re pretty much exactly who this is for. For me and my friends, this range is frustratingly unappealing.

You never use bits? I use tons of bits. You care about the game quality? I use (or houserule) the most convenient ruleset I can find to act as a beard for my miniatures hobby. You think about buy ins in terms of playable armies? I think of miniatures as competing impulse buys that might hook me on an aesthetic or had better work for kitbashing. You consider tabletop usage in determining value for dollar? I consider how many cool things I can make from the box as the determiner of value. The most successful games aim to appeal to both our tastes. This one does not.

Conquest has chosen its niche. Hopefully there will be enough customers in that niche to support them.


   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





That sounds like you are a hobbyist first, and awesome. I would agree they focused on the game and supporting the game first. If I was a hobbyist first, I'd probably not be as excited.

Without a good game, for me the miniatures are largely useless. And I would love to be in an environment where I could houserule other systems to my liking, but sadly I live in a very anti-house rule region where you get rode out on a cart and set on fire if you bring in houserules, and its just not worth the drama on my end, which is why I need rules to be the primary driver for a system.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/14 23:23:11


GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in es
Scouting Shadow Warrior





I think the future development of side products (side-games/expansions, books, expanding range) will open up the game. Conquest will look very different in 2 years, I bet.
I don't consider myself a gamer (actually rarely play), even if I appreciate a solid and fun set of rules. Mostly into painting/converting and reading but still managed to get completely hooked to Conquest precisely because of the minis aesthetic and lore, which I find considerably more appealing than other alternatives.
About extra bits, sure it's minimal in the coreset (still enough to convert sergeants for the men-at-arms with knight heads/shields). But then there are dual kits which have a load and the minis are for the most part multi-part and customizable by easily exchanging arms, heads, torsos, etc.... Seems good to me.

So I don't think Conquest necessarily caters to a specific type of wargamer. Plenty of room for us narrative and mini enthusiasts.
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





I quite like the narrative and models as well. Its true there aren't a ton of bits though, I can't deny that. There aren't 10 ways to model the same guy, you typically have four poses in a box of 12. But for a mass battle game I'm ok with my guys not all being unique like that.

And there are indeed skirmish games coming (arena, dungeon, siege) that may open that up some.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
And as I type that someone in the facebook group just finished doing militia bowmen and is using the other bits (since its a dual kit) to customize his men at arms hahaha.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/14 23:48:12


GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in es
Scouting Shadow Warrior





 auticus wrote:
I

And as I type that someone in the facebook group just finished doing militia bowmen and is using the other bits (since its a dual kit) to customize his men at arms hahaha.


I am planning to do something like this for my FGD. Splitting the 24 of the core box into 2 units, one will have the Vanguard shields and command sprue (Infiltrators won't need it) to differentiate them apart. Should look cool
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

The stand alone kits come with dual build options? Which ones?

   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





Yeah that sounds neat. Post pictures (or if you are in the discord or fb, post pictures there!)

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Powerful Spawning Champion





 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
The stand alone kits come with dual build options? Which ones?


The new 100k militia and the Spires Clones

PourSpelur wrote:
It's fully within the rules for me to look up your Facebook page, find out your dear Mother Gladys is single, take her on a lovely date, and tell you all the details of our hot, sweaty, animal sex during your psychic phase.
I mean, fifty bucks is on the line.
There's no rule that says I can't.
Hive Fleet Hercual - 6760pts
Hazaak Dynasty - 3400 pts
Seraphon - 4600pts
 
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





Vanguard clones / infiltrators
Dweghom ballistae / hold warriors
100k militia / 100k militia bowmen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/15 00:57:54


GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
 
Forum Index » Misc. Other Miniature Games
Go to: