Switch Theme:

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
[DCM]
Pyre Troll






yea, only thing i've seen was Smith commenting how he should be feeling bad for all the hate he's getting, but clerks 3 is about to start filming so to much good vibes from that

edit/update-
after posting that, i went and watched the show, and while i didn't find it super amazing, i found it interesting enough to watch the second half when it drops
trailers were misleading as hell though, i'll admit

Now, if i'd been a big motu fan as a kid, i can see feeling differently, but i was more a transformers/Gijoe kid

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/27 01:11:03


 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

I was a huge He Man fan as a kid, as well as GIJoe, but somehow neither has stuck with me. I’m more emotionally invested in the live action Masters of the Universe movie with Dolph Lundgren.

   
Made in us
Maddening Mutant Boss of Chaos





The Wastes of Krieg

Well hopefully now that people know what the show is, those who are complaining about it can go watch something else while the people who like it can wait for part 2. Continuing to attack the show will only make yourself look bad.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/27 02:12:30


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





My only real complaint is that in a show called "Masters of the Universe" you wouldn't focus the entire attention of the story on just one character. Other than that it's serviceable nostalgia bait and popcorn series. No more, no less.

And yes, that particular complaint is also true of the original series. The original should be the He-Man show, this should be the Teela show.

CHAOS! PANIC! DISORDER!
My job here is done. 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Pyre Troll






 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
I was a huge He Man fan as a kid, as well as GIJoe, but somehow neither has stuck with me. I’m more emotionally invested in the live action Masters of the Universe movie with Dolph Lundgren.


not gonna lie, i remember that movie far more then i do the cartoon, one of those random afternoon movies i'd watch when cartoons weren't on
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 greenskin lynn wrote:
yea, only thing i've seen was Smith commenting how he should be feeling bad for all the hate he's getting, but clerks 3 is about to start filming so to much good vibes from that


Wow, talk about digging up cultural fossils with no modern-day relevance...
I know which of these projects has more staying power.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in se
Fresh-Faced New User




DeathKorp_Rider wrote:
Well hopefully now that people know what the show is, those who are complaining about it can go watch something else while the people who like it can wait for part 2. Continuing to attack the show will only make yourself look bad.


Yes heaven forbid people criticize something they do not like, it will make them look bad! I guess that means a solid percentage of posters on this very site look horrendous with their continuous attacking of GW.
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

Pretty much, yes, only even more so, as the church of GW is very broad and people can have liked and dislikes within that.

If one hates this single show and continue to watch it, let alone tear into it, then from this point it begins to look less like a preference and more like an agenda.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Pyre Troll






dream archipelago wrote:
DeathKorp_Rider wrote:
Well hopefully now that people know what the show is, those who are complaining about it can go watch something else while the people who like it can wait for part 2. Continuing to attack the show will only make yourself look bad.


Yes heaven forbid people criticize something they do not like, it will make them look bad! I guess that means a solid percentage of posters on this very site look horrendous with their continuous attacking of GW.

I would say its not really that people are critical of it, but how they are going about it
this show has brought out a lot of apparently very vocal "you've ruined my childhood forever, graaahhhh rabble rabble rabble" types and
not as much people that are more....constructive....in their criticism

I think dropping only half the season is looking to be more of a negative then a positive
The trailers were incredibly misleading, and people aren't going to forget that with other projects going forward
People are finding Teela rather unlikable, which is understandable. From my viewpoint, the attitude and changes come across much like what I've
seen working in the mental health field with trauma history patients, but that viewpoint is very much dependent on my work history and exposure
I found the underworld epi to be kinda meh
The return from muscleternia seemed to easy
   
Made in us
Maddening Mutant Boss of Chaos





The Wastes of Krieg

dream archipelago wrote:
DeathKorp_Rider wrote:
Well hopefully now that people know what the show is, those who are complaining about it can go watch something else while the people who like it can wait for part 2. Continuing to attack the show will only make yourself look bad.


Yes heaven forbid people criticize something they do not like, it will make them look bad! I guess that means a solid percentage of posters on this very site look horrendous with their continuous attacking of GW.


I didn’t say they couldn’t criticize it. I said they can skip complaining about the second part since they already know they won’t like it. If you’re watching something that far and you hate it, you’re probably there just to stir the pot.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/27 03:41:56


 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

Voss wrote:
 greenskin lynn wrote:
yea, only thing i've seen was Smith commenting how he should be feeling bad for all the hate he's getting, but clerks 3 is about to start filming so to much good vibes from that


Wow, talk about digging up cultural fossils with no modern-day relevance...
I know which of these projects has more staying power.


It sounds like you are suggesting the toy cartoon with <1 successful reboots has more staying power than the influential cult comedy film series with four modest hits over three decades?

   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch





 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Are you responding to something he has said on TV or Twitter?


It's more I'm kind of surprised he's bothered reacting at all, he had the intertubes pegged 20 years ago, to wit "sad, pathetic little bumblewits, downloading scripts and what they think is inside information about movies and actors they claim to despise yet can't stop discussing", and he should have known not to feed the trolls, but that seems to be part of the game these days. like I previously posted I gave it a go, didn't care for it, found others stuff to watch, simples

"AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED." 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Earth

This show was brilliant, the good ol' bait and switch, the bringing low of yet another IP, Kevin Smith lying out of his arse, She man and the last Jedi dark fate was a great addition to the pantheon of wasted potential.

I have not been so entertained by such pure cringe in years and I enjoyed every minute, Smith's career is likely quite damaged by this though which is kinda sad as I do like him, should kept his mouth shut though.
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Voss wrote:
 greenskin lynn wrote:
yea, only thing i've seen was Smith commenting how he should be feeling bad for all the hate he's getting, but clerks 3 is about to start filming so to much good vibes from that


Wow, talk about digging up cultural fossils with no modern-day relevance...
I know which of these projects has more staying power.


It sounds like you are suggesting the toy cartoon with <1 successful reboots has more staying power than the influential cult comedy film series with four modest hits over three decades?


Well, no. Mostly because I wouldn't describe them as even modest hits and definitely not international.
Cult favs, yes. But I've had the privilege of introducing them to folks in other countries back when I was enthused about them and got universally utterly blank reactions. They're very, very American with little reach or influence outside a very specific audience, and haven't aged well at all.

On other hand, while I personally don't care for MotU, it does have a lot of influence. And it's plain to see most of the negative reactions are coming from the usual suspects for the usual reasons.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Does it? The franchise has been pretty much dead since the original ended, with one reboot 20 years ago. I've never seen nor heard anyone be excited for He-Man in all those years. The only franchise more dead must be Dino Riders.
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Updates/reboots of kids shows do not destroy childhoods.

Operation Yewtree? Or rather it’s prosecutions? Now that ruins childhoods.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





 Turnip Jedi wrote:
like I previously posted I gave it a go, didn't care for it, found others stuff to watch, simples


This is essentially my attitude, though I do want to watch the next part and see if they do anything interesting with it. There's a lot of potential for exciting story beats and most of my disappointment is that they cut things short before they could really do anything interesting with the changes they made.
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch





 LunarSol wrote:
 Turnip Jedi wrote:
like I previously posted I gave it a go, didn't care for it, found others stuff to watch, simples


This is essentially my attitude, though I do want to watch the next part and see if they do anything interesting with it. There's a lot of potential for exciting story beats and most of my disappointment is that they cut things short before they could really do anything interesting with the changes they made.


Drip feeding it was a very strange choice, I get The Event might have muddled things but even so, I blame D+

"AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED." 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




Cronch wrote:
Does it? The franchise has been pretty much dead since the original ended, with one reboot 20 years ago. I've never seen nor heard anyone be excited for He-Man in all those years. The only franchise more dead must be Dino Riders.


It was a cultural background presence for decades, with lots of references and callbacks, and a call for a reboot, continuation, etc. Even as someone who didn't care, I saw it a lot.
As far as dead cartoon franchises go, there are unapologetically a lot. There's a wasteland of dead properties out there that never made it and are barely remembered.
Even relatively 'popular' ones are a lot more corner case and fan cults than something as mainstream as MOTU.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





I caught the first three episodes on Youtube and they were presented in a painful manner( repeating shots, music on top of the shows own soundtrack and dialogue etc ) but was surprised to enjoy the show itself.

Hopefully the BBC will pick it up as they did She-Ra( really enjoyed that one ) and can watch the rest of it on iPlayer at some point.

Casual gaming, mostly solo-coop these days.

 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







Voss wrote:
Cronch wrote:
Does it? The franchise has been pretty much dead since the original ended, with one reboot 20 years ago. I've never seen nor heard anyone be excited for He-Man in all those years. The only franchise more dead must be Dino Riders.


It was a cultural background presence for decades, with lots of references and callbacks, and a call for a reboot, continuation, etc. Even as someone who didn't care, I saw it a lot.
As far as dead cartoon franchises go, there are unapologetically a lot. There's a wasteland of dead properties out there that never made it and are barely remembered.
Even relatively 'popular' ones are a lot more corner case and fan cults than something as mainstream as MOTU.


Silverhawks reboot greenlighted, btw

Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

Voss wrote:

On other hand, while I personally don't care for MotU, it does have a lot of influence. And it's plain to see most of the negative reactions are coming from the usual suspects for the usual reasons.

While I agree MOTU does have influence, I'm very skeptical the negative reactions that are coming from the usual suspects for the usual reasons have any notable influence. The usual reasons are pretty much about the Culture War and how Woke Corporations are Trying to Kill their Childhoods and many of these suspects also were making negative noise when She-Ra was announced.

I will give them that the marketing was bait and switch, but that they are trying to turn this into another battlefield in their Culture War is not only eye rolling but also hilarious as 6 months ago many of them were heralding MOTU:Revelations as the "real MOTU show for real men (unlike that evil gay agenda She-Ra)".

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/28 15:42:34


 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 lord_blackfang wrote:
Voss wrote:
Cronch wrote:
Does it? The franchise has been pretty much dead since the original ended, with one reboot 20 years ago. I've never seen nor heard anyone be excited for He-Man in all those years. The only franchise more dead must be Dino Riders.


It was a cultural background presence for decades, with lots of references and callbacks, and a call for a reboot, continuation, etc. Even as someone who didn't care, I saw it a lot.
As far as dead cartoon franchises go, there are unapologetically a lot. There's a wasteland of dead properties out there that never made it and are barely remembered.
Even relatively 'popular' ones are a lot more corner case and fan cults than something as mainstream as MOTU.


Silverhawks reboot greenlighted, btw

No real idea what that one is. I was out of the country when it aired, and never seen anyone reference it before.
the wiki makes it sound forgettable, a single run show that's only remembered because it came on the heels of thundercats.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Voss wrote:

No real idea what that one is. I was out of the country when it aired, and never seen anyone reference it before.
the wiki makes it sound forgettable, a single run show that's only remembered because it came on the heels of thundercats.


Same here, although it does have an equally awesome theme tune by Bernie Hoffer. The cyborg cowboy playing his electric guitar with a big grin is both super cringe and badass at the same time...


Casual gaming, mostly solo-coop these days.

 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Silverhawks were mostly just a toy commercial. I don't recall much about the show other than the theme song, but the toys stood out with the metallic paint jobs and some fun spring loaded play features.
   
Made in us
Maddening Mutant Boss of Chaos





The Wastes of Krieg

 LunarSol wrote:
Silverhawks were mostly just a toy commercial. I don't recall much about the show other than the theme song, but the toys stood out with the metallic paint jobs and some fun spring loaded play features.


That’s getting a reboot I believe
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

If you wanna deep dive toy franchises that disappeared without trace, how about Marshall Bravestarr?

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 Azreal13 wrote:
If you wanna deep dive toy franchises that disappeared without trace, how about Marshall Bravestarr?

I fething LOVE Bravestarr. I made some friends watch it on Youtube about a year ago. The theme song for Bravestarr is amazing. And the cyborg horse Thirty/Thirty is just the biggest bad ass.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/28 21:37:35



These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

It really was an odd toy range. Firstly the scale was huge, then there were some really odd characters like the guy who transformered into a scooter, the green barkeep with spring loaded drinks tray frisbee action, Deputy Fuzz and his long sticky whip (not a euphemism.)

I had so much of this stuff, from Fort Kirium down!

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





 Azreal13 wrote:
If you wanna deep dive toy franchises that disappeared without trace, how about Marshall Bravestarr?


There was a show that used to flutter around in the back of my memory that no one could remember like some kind of fever dream for years. I finally found it again: Vytor: The Starfire Champion.

   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: