Switch Theme:

Does anyone find kit restrictions fun?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in it
Waaagh! Ork Warboss




Italy

Painting commissions do exist. So do second hand painted lots. If you are a cut-throat tournament player you'd likely be a meta chaser so you'd dump tons of money anyway into the hobby, so paying someone to paint the models shouldn't be a concern.

But even friendly games do exist, in which armies that are not battle ready don't get the penalty. I for example never played a single game in which me or my opponent scored points for fielding battle ready armies, even if our armies were fully painted.

 
   
Made in gb
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle




 blood reaper wrote:
Tyel wrote:
Its pretty clear there are a lot of people who don't like painting. This may be due to "I just hate brushes" - but more often its because they just don't have the time. Either at all - or to get good. They'd rather spend that spare time playing.


I mean those are all reasonable points, but the thing is...

...maybe don't pick a hobby where you have to paint the models if you don't like painting???


The hobby is changing friend, the insta gratification video game crowd are the main market now. There'll be pre painted minis before long, mark my words :(
   
Made in gb
Barpharanges







Dai wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
Tyel wrote:
Its pretty clear there are a lot of people who don't like painting. This may be due to "I just hate brushes" - but more often its because they just don't have the time. Either at all - or to get good. They'd rather spend that spare time playing.


I mean those are all reasonable points, but the thing is...

...maybe don't pick a hobby where you have to paint the models if you don't like painting???


The hobby is changing friend, the insta gratification video game crowd are the main market now. There'll be pre painted minis before long, mark my words :(


I don't think there's any problem with pre-painted mins myself. I'd prefer pre-painted mins to unpainted mins, but it staggers me people are seriously arguing that painting isn't a key part of the hobby.

The biggest indicator someone is a loser is them complaining about 3d printers or piracy.  
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut







I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting). The number 1 reason to play Warhammer in its current rule-set is that it looks super cool on the table, but unpainted minis spoil that.

Otherwise, it's not a very good game for "testing your skill", nor is it really that useful for telling a story (you end up writing it yourself essentially), nor is it very deep...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/19 11:03:27


 
   
Made in gb
Mighty Brass Scorpion of Khorne




 Unit1126PLL wrote:
I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting). The number 1 reason to play Warhammer in its current rule-set is that it looks super cool on the table, but unpainted minis spoil that.

Otherwise, it's not a very good game for "testing your skill", nor is it really that useful for telling a story (you end up writing it yourself essentially), nor is it very deep...


It is an excuse for people to get together for food/drinks and chill for a bit though, but maybe that's because I've been in the hobby a little while now and I've grown with it.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut







Dudeface wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting). The number 1 reason to play Warhammer in its current rule-set is that it looks super cool on the table, but unpainted minis spoil that.

Otherwise, it's not a very good game for "testing your skill", nor is it really that useful for telling a story (you end up writing it yourself essentially), nor is it very deep...


It is an excuse for people to get together for food/drinks and chill for a bit though, but maybe that's because I've been in the hobby a little while now and I've grown with it.


Why do you need an excuse to get food/drinks and chill?

Like your wife or family won't let you if you don't also do something else at the same time?
   
Made in gb
Mighty Brass Scorpion of Khorne




 Unit1126PLL wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting). The number 1 reason to play Warhammer in its current rule-set is that it looks super cool on the table, but unpainted minis spoil that.

Otherwise, it's not a very good game for "testing your skill", nor is it really that useful for telling a story (you end up writing it yourself essentially), nor is it very deep...


It is an excuse for people to get together for food/drinks and chill for a bit though, but maybe that's because I've been in the hobby a little while now and I've grown with it.


Why do you need an excuse to get food/drinks and chill?

Like your wife or family won't let you if you don't also do something else at the same time?


I mean, it's a turn of phrase, maybe dial back the deadpan captain literal.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 blood reaper wrote:
The problem is that they're choosing a hobby *which has painting as a key element*.
Not everyone plays the game. Not everyone likes painting. People do this for different reasons, like different things, and focus on different things.

You need to understand that.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Barpharanges







 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
The problem is that they're choosing a hobby *which has painting as a key element*.
Not everyone plays the game. Not everyone likes painting. People do this for different reasons, like different things, and focus on different things.

You need to understand that.


I understand that people have different interests, but I find it baffling they'd choose to pick a game where a key part is building and painting miniatures.


The biggest indicator someone is a loser is them complaining about 3d printers or piracy.  
   
Made in gb
Never Forget Isstvan!






People like what they like. How hard is that to grasp?
   
Made in us
Terrifying Doombull




 blood reaper wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
The problem is that they're choosing a hobby *which has painting as a key element*.
Not everyone plays the game. Not everyone likes painting. People do this for different reasons, like different things, and focus on different things.

You need to understand that.


I understand that people have different interests, but I find it baffling they'd choose to pick a game where a key part is building and painting miniatures.



Enjoy being baffled, I guess? But we don't need 4+ pages of the exact same argument every time the subject comes up in unrelated threads.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






 blood reaper wrote:
Tyel wrote:
Its pretty clear there are a lot of people who don't like painting. This may be due to "I just hate brushes" - but more often its because they just don't have the time. Either at all - or to get good. They'd rather spend that spare time playing.


I mean those are all reasonable points, but the thing is...

...maybe don't pick a hobby where you have to paint the models if you don't like painting???


but you dont have to paint your models to play 40k....


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting).


Because its the only wargame that most LGS sell and have existing communities for. It's not exactly complicated to grasp



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 blood reaper wrote:

I understand that people have different interests, but I find it baffling they'd choose to pick a game where a key part is building and painting miniatures.



I didnt have a choice when i started wargaming. The games my store had were : 40k or AoS.

Since then i've started playing Infinity, Malifaux, OnepageRules and Star Wars Legion but i play those a lot less because the local community is much smaller. I've actually been playing with a guy from across the ocean on TTS mostly for these games.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/05/19 13:32:24


 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





I'm all about the "To each his own" these days.

I have played many GW games with unpainted or partially painted collections.

I don't dislike painting, but I don't love it either- I do see it as chore, but it's a chore that's more pleasant than many others. I'm trying hard to change this. So far this year I've completed 5 painting challenges, and I'm engaged in one right now with another beginning on Monday. The total yield is 23 infantry models... Which probably sounds like nothing to some of you who could knock that out in a month.

My issue is that I want to do video batreps and stop motion movies. I have to become the Crusade engine that I've been waiting to see because no one else is getting it right; Skari comes close- he has a Crusade series that I think has four episodes? Problem is that he doesn't organize it in such a way that it's connected: the episodes aren't numbered, and he doesn't talk so much about the motivations of the models he uses or their long term goals.

@Unit- In EVERY storytelling game ever made, including the ridiculous 4th ed 3 tier tree campaigns or the two pages of instructions on how to run a map based campaign which you somehow think holds a candle to Crusade, you have to write the story yourself.

Picking who pursues which agendas IS a part of the story. I choose Battle Honours rather than roll them randomly (which is a RAW option BTW) because then I get to invoke cause and effect: hit a level break because you shot an enemy unit off the board? Sounds like a BH that bumps shooting ability. Wipe out a unit in close combat? Sounds like a BH that affects melee prowess. Cause and effect.

Deploying experienced units with green units to demonstrate mentorship? Story.

Achieving short term or long term goals? Story.

Goals for individual units, goals for individual detachments, goals for the whole army? Story.

And if you want simple tree campaigns, I've already told you where to find them for Crusade (Octarius 1).

And again, do as you will. Don't like Crusade? Fine- don't play it; I'm cool with that; I'm not trying to convince you to play Crusade. I just object to blanket statements like "9th ed is not good for telling stories" being passed off as objective truth.

I personally have never had as many storytelling tools at my disposal for 40k as I do now. I almost want to state THAT as an objective fact, and I feel like it is reasonable- I find it really hard to deny.

Your argument seems to be that the tools don't work the way you want them to, but stating that a system that includes almost no tools is better is odd.

   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 blood reaper wrote:
"Bits scalper"

Are people on eBay really selling pieces at such disproportionate prices? I 100% feel people exaggerate this.


When blight lords with combi-plasma were the rage (1x per box), the tiny plasma bit you would glue on the bolter to make it "combi" was about 8€ per piece, the melta bit was 5€.

Building a unit of 5 combi-plasma from original bits would have made the unit cost more than double its price.

Instead, I just glued a different combi-weapon to each of them and asked GW to change the rules

I present you, the the most misquoted part of all 40k lore:
Genetor Lukas Anzion in Codex Orks, 3rd edition wrote:[...] To the Ork, the only conceivable explanation for this is that the vehicle travels faster because it is red. However, as disturbing as it sounds, these 'facts' become true. Red Ork vehicles do travel perceptibly faster than those of other colors, even when all other design aspects are nominally the same. Similarly, many captured Ork weapons and items of equipment should not work, and indeed do not work unless wielded by an Ork. I believe this is linked to the strong psychic aura surrounding all Orkoids and have developed the Anzion Theorem of Orkoid Mechamorphic Resonant Kinetics. I theorise that many Ork inventions work because the Orks themselves think that they should work. The strong telekinetic abilities of the Ork's subconscious somehow ensures that the machinery or weaponry functions as desired.

This is literally all GW ever wrote on this topic - everything else is meme knowledge 
   
Made in gb
Barpharanges







 Jidmah wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
"Bits scalper"

Are people on eBay really selling pieces at such disproportionate prices? I 100% feel people exaggerate this.


When blight lords with combi-plasma were the rage (1x per box), the tiny plasma bit you would glue on the bolter to make it "combi" was about 8€ per piece, the melta bit was 5€.

Building a unit of 5 combi-plasma from original bits would have made the unit cost more than double its price.

Instead, I just glued a different combi-weapon to each of them and asked GW to change the rules


I wonder how much it would've cost GW to make a sprue with those pieces in it. Alas, we'll never know.

The biggest indicator someone is a loser is them complaining about 3d printers or piracy.  
   
Made in nl
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman




 VladimirHerzog wrote:

Automatically Appended Next Post:
 blood reaper wrote:

I understand that people have different interests, but I find it baffling they'd choose to pick a game where a key part is building and painting miniatures.



I didnt have a choice when i started wargaming. The games my store had were : 40k or AoS.

Since then i've started playing Infinity, Malifaux, OnepageRules and Star Wars Legion but i play those a lot less because the local community is much smaller. I've actually been playing with a guy from across the ocean on TTS mostly for these games.


This is the key thing, I'm very pleased for anyone with multiple FLGS and a healthy local scene that can support many games, however that is not true for everyone. The only FLGS near me is the GW store and as such the only games played locally are GW games. Doesn't matter how much better fit x, y or z game may be to my tastes, if it's not a GW game I will have no one to play with. It's not baffling for someone who wants to get into a hobby to pick the only variation of that hobby they have access to, even if there is an element they don't like.
   
Made in gb
Mighty Brass Scorpion of Khorne




 blood reaper wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
"Bits scalper"

Are people on eBay really selling pieces at such disproportionate prices? I 100% feel people exaggerate this.


When blight lords with combi-plasma were the rage (1x per box), the tiny plasma bit you would glue on the bolter to make it "combi" was about 8€ per piece, the melta bit was 5€.

Building a unit of 5 combi-plasma from original bits would have made the unit cost more than double its price.

Instead, I just glued a different combi-weapon to each of them and asked GW to change the rules


I wonder how much it would've cost GW to make a sprue with those pieces in it. Alas, we'll never know.


I wonder how much extra they would have charged to include those options on the extra sprue.
   
Made in us
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Dudeface wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
"Bits scalper"

Are people on eBay really selling pieces at such disproportionate prices? I 100% feel people exaggerate this.


When blight lords with combi-plasma were the rage (1x per box), the tiny plasma bit you would glue on the bolter to make it "combi" was about 8€ per piece, the melta bit was 5€.

Building a unit of 5 combi-plasma from original bits would have made the unit cost more than double its price.

Instead, I just glued a different combi-weapon to each of them and asked GW to change the rules


I wonder how much it would've cost GW to make a sprue with those pieces in it. Alas, we'll never know.


I wonder how much extra they would have charged to include those options on the extra sprue.


well at least theyre doing it with the new 30k marines and their heavy/special weapons boxes
   
Made in gb
Mighty Brass Scorpion of Khorne




 VladimirHerzog wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
"Bits scalper"

Are people on eBay really selling pieces at such disproportionate prices? I 100% feel people exaggerate this.


When blight lords with combi-plasma were the rage (1x per box), the tiny plasma bit you would glue on the bolter to make it "combi" was about 8€ per piece, the melta bit was 5€.

Building a unit of 5 combi-plasma from original bits would have made the unit cost more than double its price.

Instead, I just glued a different combi-weapon to each of them and asked GW to change the rules


I wonder how much it would've cost GW to make a sprue with those pieces in it. Alas, we'll never know.


I wonder how much extra they would have charged to include those options on the extra sprue.


well at least theyre doing it with the new 30k marines and their heavy/special weapons boxes


They're doing a stellar job there, it'll be far easier to balance in theory as well given the limited scope of factions.
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






 blood reaper wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
 blood reaper wrote:
"Bits scalper"

Are people on eBay really selling pieces at such disproportionate prices? I 100% feel people exaggerate this.


When blight lords with combi-plasma were the rage (1x per box), the tiny plasma bit you would glue on the bolter to make it "combi" was about 8€ per piece, the melta bit was 5€.

Building a unit of 5 combi-plasma from original bits would have made the unit cost more than double its price.

Instead, I just glued a different combi-weapon to each of them and asked GW to change the rules


I wonder how much it would've cost GW to make a sprue with those pieces in it. Alas, we'll never know.


They didn't even need to. The current Assault Squad comes with 3 plasma pistols, the old one came with ten(!). Plasma bits are ten a fething penny yet you have moaners who gnash their teeth as they Must. Have. The. Exact. Bit. even though what they want is just a simple conversion and friendly chat away. They don't even need to buy anything, I guarantee most long term Marine players have a ton of unused plasma pistols just sitting around. Buy them a beer or their drink of choice or do a bits swap, but nope. Let's go moan on the internet about how expensive this exact bit is...


Games Workshop Delenda Est.

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy





All players should be forced to play orks for 3 months, only given boyz kits (the good ol kind) and a lot of bits from enemy armies with a healthy supply of plasticard. Would do the hobby a lot of good.

"Us Blood Axes hav lernt' a lot from da humies. How best ta kill 'em, fer example."
— Korporal Snagbrat of the Dreadblade Kommandos 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 Grimtuff wrote:
They didn't even need to. The current Assault Squad comes with 3 plasma pistols, the old one came with ten(!). Plasma bits are ten a fething penny yet you have moaners who gnash their teeth as they Must. Have. The. Exact. Bit. even though what they want is just a simple conversion and friendly chat away. They don't even need to buy anything, I guarantee most long term Marine players have a ton of unused plasma pistols just sitting around. Buy them a beer or their drink of choice or do a bits swap, but nope. Let's go moan on the internet about how expensive this exact bit is...


I suggest not doing that because it looks like gak. Plasma pistols are too big, have too little detail and do not have the DG's signature plasma look. Might as well just stick a ball of greenstuff to the gun and paint it blue if min-maxing is more important to you than aesthetics.

I present you, the the most misquoted part of all 40k lore:
Genetor Lukas Anzion in Codex Orks, 3rd edition wrote:[...] To the Ork, the only conceivable explanation for this is that the vehicle travels faster because it is red. However, as disturbing as it sounds, these 'facts' become true. Red Ork vehicles do travel perceptibly faster than those of other colors, even when all other design aspects are nominally the same. Similarly, many captured Ork weapons and items of equipment should not work, and indeed do not work unless wielded by an Ork. I believe this is linked to the strong psychic aura surrounding all Orkoids and have developed the Anzion Theorem of Orkoid Mechamorphic Resonant Kinetics. I theorise that many Ork inventions work because the Orks themselves think that they should work. The strong telekinetic abilities of the Ork's subconscious somehow ensures that the machinery or weaponry functions as desired.

This is literally all GW ever wrote on this topic - everything else is meme knowledge 
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy





“Oh this bit doesn’t look like my monoposed to gak new deathguard”
Huh, who could’ve guessed.
Individuality in wargear is very common for traitors btw.

"Us Blood Axes hav lernt' a lot from da humies. How best ta kill 'em, fer example."
— Korporal Snagbrat of the Dreadblade Kommandos 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut







 VladimirHerzog wrote:


 Unit1126PLL wrote:
I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting).


Because its the only wargame that most LGS sell and have existing communities for. It's not exactly complicated to grasp

But like, why wargame at all? What are you looking for out of wargaming?

If it is a test of skill, then I am surprised you stuck with 40k after your first few games.
If it's the narrative, I suppose I could understand if you started in an earlier edition.
If it's for the spectacle, paint your models.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Dudeface wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting). The number 1 reason to play Warhammer in its current rule-set is that it looks super cool on the table, but unpainted minis spoil that.

Otherwise, it's not a very good game for "testing your skill", nor is it really that useful for telling a story (you end up writing it yourself essentially), nor is it very deep...


It is an excuse for people to get together for food/drinks and chill for a bit though, but maybe that's because I've been in the hobby a little while now and I've grown with it.


Why do you need an excuse to get food/drinks and chill?

Like your wife or family won't let you if you don't also do something else at the same time?


I mean, it's a turn of phrase, maybe dial back the deadpan captain literal.

I don't know what else you could mean. Why is 40k your activity of choice when chilling with friends?
If you and your friends are looking for a test of skill, play a better game.
If you and your friends are looking for collaborative storytelling, you don't need the 40k game since it doesn't help much.
If you are playing because of spectacle, paint your models.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/19 17:08:03


 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






 Some_Call_Me_Tim wrote:
“Oh this bit doesn’t look like my monoposed to gak new deathguard”
Huh, who could’ve guessed.
Individuality in wargear is very common for traitors btw.


I honestly don't know why I bother sometimes. I present a solution that works, and I just get a "yeah... but" excuse. But guess what? You can do the same with melta parts. I've got 30 Blightlords, and several of them have combi meltas and not a single one is the same. Some are metal CSM Termie parts, some plastic CSM Termies, some are Storm Bolters with a barrel shaved off and a Sanguinary Guard inferno pistol part put in place, some are simply an entire meltagun with a bolter slapped on the side of it.

You can even go out there and use exhaust vents as the melta barrel, such as on my (overly large) Chaos Lord.
Spoiler:



There's a myriad of solutions out there for easy conversions, but people just don't want to do it and shoot down every suggestion...


Games Workshop Delenda Est.

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran





 Unit1126PLL wrote:
[feigned confusion]

The funny thing is that your incredibly fake ultra-literalism, turned upon yourself, would equally invalidate any reasons you have for "choosing this game".

In it for the spectacle? So why did you choose a 28mm game? 54mm scale would be even more spectacle, mate...
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut







 Altruizine wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
[feigned confusion]

The funny thing is that your incredibly fake ultra-literalism, turned upon yourself, would equally invalidate any reasons you have for "choosing this game".

In it for the spectacle? So why did you choose a 28mm game? 54mm scale would be even more spectacle, mate...


Not the 40k spectacle though. Not since inquisitor.
   
Made in gb
Mighty Brass Scorpion of Khorne





Automatically Appended Next Post:
Dudeface wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting). The number 1 reason to play Warhammer in its current rule-set is that it looks super cool on the table, but unpainted minis spoil that.

Otherwise, it's not a very good game for "testing your skill", nor is it really that useful for telling a story (you end up writing it yourself essentially), nor is it very deep...


It is an excuse for people to get together for food/drinks and chill for a bit though, but maybe that's because I've been in the hobby a little while now and I've grown with it.


Why do you need an excuse to get food/drinks and chill?

Like your wife or family won't let you if you don't also do something else at the same time?


I mean, it's a turn of phrase, maybe dial back the deadpan captain literal.

I don't know what else you could mean. Why is 40k your activity of choice when chilling with friends?
If you and your friends are looking for a test of skill, play a better game.
If you and your friends are looking for collaborative storytelling, you don't need the 40k game since it doesn't help much.
If you are playing because of spectacle, paint your models.


We do paint our models, we choose to chill over a game of 40k because it's (for us) fun, easy to play and isn't too mentally taxing while engaging our interests too.

It's really not a difficult concept that some people get together to do something they find mutually enjoyable, surely?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/19 18:19:58


 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran





 Unit1126PLL wrote:
 Altruizine wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
[feigned confusion]

The funny thing is that your incredibly fake ultra-literalism, turned upon yourself, would equally invalidate any reasons you have for "choosing this game".

In it for the spectacle? So why did you choose a 28mm game? 54mm scale would be even more spectacle, mate...


Not the 40k spectacle though. Not since inquisitor.

Ok, so do you think all Necromunda players are errant, then? They could simply play 40K. More vehicles, more monsters, higher unit counts = more 40K spectacle.

I'd love to see an in-depth spectacularity breakdown, actually. What's more spectacular: a 1000 point 40K game between two armies that are extremely poorly painted and straight out of the box with no conversions, or a 5000 point 40K game between two armies that feature amazing conversions and kitbashes, but aren't painted? Can I buy a spectaculometer in the 'Gaming Accessories' section of the GW webstore, to make sure I'm always hitting the minimum recommended spectacle?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Dudeface wrote:

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Dudeface wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
 Unit1126PLL wrote:
I do wonder why people engage in playing Warhammer if not for the spectacle (and by extension, painting). The number 1 reason to play Warhammer in its current rule-set is that it looks super cool on the table, but unpainted minis spoil that.

Otherwise, it's not a very good game for "testing your skill", nor is it really that useful for telling a story (you end up writing it yourself essentially), nor is it very deep...


It is an excuse for people to get together for food/drinks and chill for a bit though, but maybe that's because I've been in the hobby a little while now and I've grown with it.


Why do you need an excuse to get food/drinks and chill?

Like your wife or family won't let you if you don't also do something else at the same time?


I mean, it's a turn of phrase, maybe dial back the deadpan captain literal.

I don't know what else you could mean. Why is 40k your activity of choice when chilling with friends?
If you and your friends are looking for a test of skill, play a better game.
If you and your friends are looking for collaborative storytelling, you don't need the 40k game since it doesn't help much.
If you are playing because of spectacle, paint your models.


We do paint our models, we choose to chill over a game of 40k because it's (for us) fun, easy to play and isn't too mentally taxing while engaging our interests too.

It's really not a difficult concept that some people get together to do something they find mutually enjoyable, surely?

Well when your best defense for a game is "we like it" that's not a lot to honestly respect.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: