Switch Theme:

Warhammer AoS Warcry N & R - 8 new AoS warband cards, Sphiranx & Fomoroid Crusher preorder 15th Feb  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







My Tzeentch daemons are all ready to give people fits in objective holding missions tomorrow.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

Stormcast are definitely going to be my Starter force, now. All those options let my use my whole (small) skirmish collection other than the Lord Relictor and Incantor. I was really unimpressed with the previous Raptor-based set's lack of variety.

Eager to see expanded Orruks and Skaven, as those are my other two forces, and I want to see what I will be able to use.

I lost track of some of this thread, though. What was going to be in expanded Nighthaunt? I had been pondering a thematic skirmish warband made of a Wight King and a bunch of Nighthaunt being the ghosts of his former court, and if that's possible in Warcry I might finally do it, even if I had to paint up the Wight King to count-as a Nighthaunt hero.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/01/31 23:55:10




"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Yeah that card creator is cool.
You could make the card from any normal set but just use your own paint job and look etc, much easier to tell the minis in questions rules as you play.

Do you just save the image from the creator or does it download somewhere etc? I’ve only glanced it on my phone
   
Made in ie
Longtime Dakkanaut






Danny76 wrote:
Yeah that card creator is cool.
You could make the card from any normal set but just use your own paint job and look etc, much easier to tell the minis in questions rules as you play.

Do you just save the image from the creator or does it download somewhere etc? I’ve only glanced it on my phone


right click saves as on the card image to save it.
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






 AegisGrimm wrote:
Stormcast are definitely going to be my Starter force, now. All those options let my use my whole (small) skirmish collection other than the Lord Relictor and Incantor. I was really unimpressed with the previous Raptor-based set's lack of variety.

Eager to see expanded Orruks and Skaven, as those are my other two forces, and I want to see what I will be able to use.

I lost track of some of this thread, though. What was going to be in expanded Nighthaunt? I had been pondering a thematic skirmish warband made of a Wight King and a bunch of Nighthaunt being the ghosts of his former court, and if that's possible in Warcry I might finally do it, even if I had to paint up the Wight King to count-as a Nighthaunt hero.
You can run a Nighthaunt warband and bring the Wight King as an ally choice.

Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

 NinthMusketeer wrote:
 AegisGrimm wrote:
Stormcast are definitely going to be my Starter force, now. All those options let my use my whole (small) skirmish collection other than the Lord Relictor and Incantor. I was really unimpressed with the previous Raptor-based set's lack of variety.

Eager to see expanded Orruks and Skaven, as those are my other two forces, and I want to see what I will be able to use.

I lost track of some of this thread, though. What was going to be in expanded Nighthaunt? I had been pondering a thematic skirmish warband made of a Wight King and a bunch of Nighthaunt being the ghosts of his former court, and if that's possible in Warcry I might finally do it, even if I had to paint up the Wight King to count-as a Nighthaunt hero.
You can run a Nighthaunt warband and bring the Wight King as an ally choice.


Ah, ok, thanks. I'm a complete Warcry neophyte despite GWing for 20-some yrs. All I know is the general basic knowledge, as well as having seen a couple of Guerilla Miniatures Gaming videos.

I had been pondering a thematic force made of a Wight Lord, with a banshee or two as ex-courtesans, and other Nighthaunt as the various dwellers of a haunted prison/fortress (or maybe ghouls as his "peasant followers"). It was originally going to be for skirmish 1.0 in Shadespire.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2020/02/01 02:28:39




"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Ok cool, cheers DaveC. I had assumed or hoped it would be the case.

Just need to organize getting some photos that would go on the card nicely, or the ability to do so.
(Not that I have a rush as I haven’t actually started playing Warcry, let alone a custom warband for it..
   
Made in ie
Longtime Dakkanaut






 AegisGrimm wrote:


I had been pondering a thematic force made of a Wight Lord, with a banshee or two as ex-courtesans, and other Nighthaunt as the various dwellers of a haunted prison/fortress (or maybe ghouls as his "peasant followers"). It was originally going to be for skirmish 1.0 in Shadespire.


You can take the Wight Lord as an Ally for 175 points but he cannot be your leader (must have a leader runemark to be a leader) so you will also have to pick a Nighthaunt with the leader runemark. Nighthaunts only have the Dreadwarden as a leader so you must have one of them for 150 points. The new Nighthaunt Banshees will set you back 145 points each so you are up to 470 points already. You can only have 1 ally in an open or matched play game so you can't also run a Spirit Torment or Lord Executioner which would also fit with your theme but they are Allies. The Tomb Banshee is also an ally whereas the Myrmourn Banshee has the Nighthaunt faction runemark.

Spirit Hosts are a good pick but will set you back 220 points which leaves you 310 points which will get you 3 Chainrasps with 70 points to spare which is unusable so better off with 2 Chainrasps and a Reaper or Stalker. Or forget the spirit host and get 5 - 6 Chain rasps and 1 or 2 Reapers or Stalkers.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/02/01 14:35:58


 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







Played Tzeentch Daemons vs mixed Skaven in a "kill 50% to win" mission and had a miserable time, two shooty rat ogres easily outshot 1000 pts of Horrors and Flamers.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Vlad_the_Rotten






 lord_blackfang wrote:
Played Tzeentch Daemons vs mixed Skaven in a "kill 50% to win" mission and had a miserable time, two shooty rat ogres easily outshot 1000 pts of Horrors and Flamers.


What was your experience with their ability to break down into the lesser demons?
   
Made in ie
Longtime Dakkanaut






 lord_blackfang wrote:
Played Tzeentch Daemons vs mixed Skaven in a "kill 50% to win" mission and had a miserable time, two shooty rat ogres easily outshot 1000 pts of Horrors and Flamers.


The shooty Rat Ogre card is clearly misprinted as it has better/similar stats than the Stormfiend with Warpfire Projectors but costs 30 points less and has 10 more wounds than a standard Rat Ogre plus the shooting ability for 10 points more. That and the Clawleader which probably should be 145 pts. not 45 need to errata-ed quickly.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/02/01 21:34:36


 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 Jjohnso11 wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
Played Tzeentch Daemons vs mixed Skaven in a "kill 50% to win" mission and had a miserable time, two shooty rat ogres easily outshot 1000 pts of Horrors and Flamers.


What was your experience with their ability to break down into the lesser demons?


Primarily, unclear on how they should be handled in "lose when half your guys are out of action" missions.

Two of my 3 Horrors got one-shotted.

Last one Split and we agreed the fresh two are added to total head count. If they don't, it would have lost me the game instantly. Overall Horror stats are bad enough to only matter for head count for claiming objectives.

Split Again is fairly meaningless as it just spawns 1 Brimstone, it's just a weird way to heal (and potentially Disengage) while lowering your stats.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 DaveC wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
Played Tzeentch Daemons vs mixed Skaven in a "kill 50% to win" mission and had a miserable time, two shooty rat ogres easily outshot 1000 pts of Horrors and Flamers.


The shooty Rat Ogre card is clearly misprinted as it has better stats than the Stormfiend with Warpfire Projectors but costs 30 points less. That and the Clawleader which probably should be 145 pts. not 45 need to errata-ed quickly.


Shooty Ogre was probably meant to have 30W, like the other basic rat ogre. Dunno about the gun. Stormfiends overall seem overpriced considering they can't be given extra actions by the Packmaster but this is just bad design, not a typo.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/02/01 21:34:27


Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




Well, I had a game yesterday to test out my friends Ogre band, I used Iron Golems. My Breacher went down in one round of fighting, and the rest of my band vanished in short order, so power creep is certainly a thing with some of these new teams. The ogres seem to have far to many high strength high damage attacks, especially compared to the Breacher, for there cost, and with Gnoblars they won't even have many issues dealing with objective matches.
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






I have heard numerous times that Iron Golems are an unusually weak warband, it could be that. I haven't gotten a chance to play against ogors yet but should soon. Still, these new warbands I get the sense they tried to pack in too many units and it let to some rough portions where they didn't have time to balance properly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/05 22:54:22


Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in us
Battle Tested Karist Trooper





Central Coast, California

I'm fairly certain all of the AoS faction additions were not play-tested very thoroughly to balance them with the 7 made-for-Warcry warbands...

I'm looking at the Arcanite Skyfires and their high range/high damage bows and even considering their considerable cost, am having a hard time seeing them not overpowering many of the melee focused warbands.

   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I have heard numerous times that Iron Golems are an unusually weak warband, it could be that. I haven't gotten a chance to play against ogors yet but should soon. Still, these new warbands I get the sense they tried to pack in too many units and it let to some rough portions where they didn't have time to balance properly.


Iron Golems seem to be in a weird spot. Everything I see about them on Reddit or Youtube has people saying they are easily the worst warband or that they are dominating their meta. I'm not sure if it just happens to be who is using them, or just depends on if people are playing matched play or random scenarios or what. That all said the Chaos Warbands really don't tend to stack up very well against most of the non-Chaos Warbands, and I think that has to do with the non-Chaos Warbands not really being well playtested. This new wave looks worse than usual as the cards don't even appear to have been proof-read before being sent to the printers (Skaven has a couple glaringly obvious mistakes).

I do like that GW is attempting to get people playing who are not interested in Chaos factions, but I really wish they would take the time and consideration they do when making a Chaos warband. Even if it meant factions coming out more slowly, I would definitely appreciate it.


 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






I would have preferred they left out big stuff (3+ wounds in AoS) in order to better balance a core of small stuff. Then add the big stuff with a later release. Bar unique options along the lines of golem's breacher, of course (regular rat ogors or necropolis stalkers come to mind) and mawtribes. But stormfiends, disc-mounted arcanites, deathriders, and many more are a bit much for the game right now and unlike Idoneth aren't needed to fill out an otherwise sparse roster.

That said I have confidence in Bottle as a designer. I'll bet we'll see a balance update sometime this year that fixes a lot of problem elements.

I am also happier having things in the state they are than not having them at all. It is still way better than AoS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/02/06 00:14:41


Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in us
Battle Tested Karist Trooper





Central Coast, California

 Sabotage! wrote:
[ This new wave looks worse than usual as the cards don't even appear to have been proof-read before being sent to the printers (Skaven has a couple glaringly obvious mistakes).


I just picked these ones up yesterday and didn't look too closely at them, which ones are wrong?

   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





NinthMusketeer wrote:I would have preferred they left out big stuff (3+ wounds in AoS) in order to better balance a core of small stuff. Then add the big stuff with a later release. Bar unique options along the lines of golem's breacher, of course (regular rat ogors or necropolis stalkers come to mind) and mawtribes. But stormfiends, disc-mounted arcanites, deathriders, and many more are a bit much for the game right now and unlike Idoneth aren't needed to fill out an otherwise sparse roster.

That said I have confidence in Bottle as a designer. I'll bet we'll see a balance update sometime this year that fixes a lot of problem elements.

I am also happier having things in the state they are than not having them at all. It is still way better than AoS


Yeah, I agree on the bigger stuff, it doesn't really feel skirmish scale. I also don't doubt we will get some balance issues worked out pretty soon. To be fair I haven't really dabbled outside of the bands designed for the game (though I do have cards for a few), but the Chaos bands seem pretty well balanced against each other.

I also agree, it's nice for people to have more options, and as far as miniature games go Warcry is one of the more tame ones in terms of balance issues.

Fango wrote:
 Sabotage! wrote:
[ This new wave looks worse than usual as the cards don't even appear to have been proof-read before being sent to the printers (Skaven has a couple glaringly obvious mistakes).


I just picked these ones up yesterday and didn't look too closely at them, which ones are wrong?


Just off the top of my head (I don't have the cards, just saw them) one of the Skaven Leaders (clan rat I believe) is 45 points when he clearly should have been 145 and two of the Stormfiends have a wound discrepancy (I believe the shooty one has 10 less wounds than the other version).


 
   
Made in us
Vlad_the_Rotten






I’ll chalk up the difference in power creep being an overload of power options vs buying several different fighters.

IE- chaos warband has one breacher or one rocktusk. Imagine if the entire warband was built using those two models and only the an additional leader. Would they be more or less powerful?
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






It occurs to me now that MAYBE using 5 snake swarms has something to do with my lack of trouble overcoming other warbands...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
@Sabotage, do note that the armored stormfiends have an extra wound to their unarmored counterparts in AoS, so they should reasonably have extra in Warcry as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/06 02:40:46


Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in us
Vlad_the_Rotten






So you don’t think people would take more rocktusks or other more expensive models if they were sold separately. You also don’t think they would do better?
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






I'm suggesting the exact opposite; snake swarms are the 'warbeast' model for Splintered Fang, there was only 1 per box (two per box now since the new one is double size) yet I went out of my way to convert extra so I could run 5. Part of that for me is just theme, but they are also among the best models the faction has. If the original warbands had freedom to mix & match the best choices like the supplemental ones they would likely be on par IMO.

Of course technically they do, but there is an element of impracticality there if someone wants to, say, run four of a model that is only 1-per-10.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/02/06 03:37:49


Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





 NinthMusketeer wrote:
It occurs to me now that MAYBE using 5 snake swarms has something to do with my lack of trouble overcoming other warbands...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
@Sabotage, do note that the armored stormfiends have an extra wound to their unarmored counterparts in AoS, so they should reasonably have extra in Warcry as well.


Huh, I didn’t even realize unarmored stormfiends were a thing, I thought they were all armored and just had different weapons. Shows how much I know about Skaven.


 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





Anyone think (hope) we'll get the last warband revealed at GAMA?

   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





Carlovonsexron wrote:
Anyone think (hope) we'll get the last warband revealed at GAMA?


I certainly hope so. I’m kind of surprised we have had to wait this long to get all the Warbands mentioned in the core book which was released last August. That doesn’t seem very much like GW. We already have that Image from the rumor mill from a while back.


 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






It makes me wonder if there was a production hiccup. Still, I have been pretty happy with the release pace for Warcry so far and I can tell they are pushing to get all the factions in asap. Perhaps pushing a bit too hard given the balance quibbles but things don't seem horribly broken and I know a lot of people very happy to be able to play their army of choice.

Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in us
Vlad_the_Rotten






 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I'm suggesting the exact opposite; snake swarms are the 'warbeast' model for Splintered Fang, there was only 1 per box (two per box now since the new one is double size) yet I went out of my way to convert extra so I could run 5. Part of that for me is just theme, but they are also among the best models the faction has. If the original warbands had freedom to mix & match the best choices like the supplemental ones they would likely be on par IMO.

Of course technically they do, but there is an element of impracticality there if someone wants to, say, run four of a model that is only 1-per-10.


My apologies I was intoxicated when I read your original post and misinterpreted what you said. I agree with the impracticality of the warcry specific models and buying four warband worth of models to only use a select few. I was looking at third party models for more rock tusk prowlers and that will probably the route I take to expand that band.

I’m hopeful they release the last band and potentially an expansion to dig deeper into magic. That would be pretty cool.
   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





 NinthMusketeer wrote:
It makes me wonder if there was a production hiccup. Still, I have been pretty happy with the release pace for Warcry so far and I can tell they are pushing to get all the factions in asap. Perhaps pushing a bit too hard given the balance quibbles but things don't seem horribly broken and I know a lot of people very happy to be able to play their army of choice.


This is probably my guess. I imagine the original plan was to have all 8 Chaos warbands out by now, and while I certainly am interested to see the Scions, I really can’t complain about the release pace. We got six original Warbands out the first month of release, which was waaaaay better than how Necromunda was done, along with quite a few AoS bands. Since then we got two books with lots of content, a new Chaos Warbands, a cool monster (and two more soon) and a ton of AoS bands. Definitely a ton of content for a game that is six months old.


 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





I do wonder where war cry goes from here, once the last warband and monsters are released.

Dedicated order warbands?

mage characters for each chaos warband?

Champion characters for each warband?

Even more chaos warbands?

All.those.options seem great to me, though I like the latter three best

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: