Switch Theme:

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Steady Space Marine Vet Sergeant




Believeland, OH

DeathKorp_Rider wrote:
 LunarSol wrote:
Silverhawks were mostly just a toy commercial. I don't recall much about the show other than the theme song, but the toys stood out with the metallic paint jobs and some fun spring loaded play features.


That’s getting a reboot I believe


Silverhawks was very formulaic, basically Thundercats....there was another show like this called Tigersharks. The 3 of them i think all came out of the same studio about the same time...and were all pretty much the same.

"I don't have principles, and I consider any comment otherwise to be both threatening and insulting" - Dogma

"No, sorry, synonymous does not mean same".-Dogma

"If I say "I will hug you" I am threatening you" -Dogma 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Of them, Thundercats is the only one that feels like it had any real thought put into the world behind it. Not like.... a lot, but more than zero.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Azreal13 wrote:
If you wanna deep dive toy franchises that disappeared without trace, how about Marshall Bravestarr?


Brilliant show!

Casual gaming, mostly solo-coop these days.

 
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

So, I also watched the show, to see what the fuss is about. When I was a kid, I maaaybe saw an episode or 2 of he-man, I don't really remember, because if I did see some of it, it was on German TV via satellite at my aunt So not really a fan of the show.

And to be honest, I can see why actual fans would a bit unhappy. No He-man, Teela being really unlikeable and seemingly no boys allowed in the hero group? Even that guy, man-at-arms, was sidelined in a way that I was scratching my head.

What I find interesting is that the only way they seem to be able to write a strong female lead is to basically make her a man. She looks almost bigger than the original He-man A bit ironic. And here I thought propagating unrealistic body image is frowned upon nowadays
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Balerion wrote:
...Teela being really unlikeable ...

What makes you say that?

Honest question, because I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, but I liked her character just fine. So I'm curious as to why people think she's unlikeable.


What I find interesting is that the only way they seem to be able to write a strong female lead is to basically make her a man. She looks almost bigger than the original He-man

You might want to adjust the aspect ratio on your screen. Even He-Man in this isn't bigger than the original. Teela is quite recognisably a woman, just a muscly one... which is entirely appropriate for the character, given her job description.

 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






I didn't find Teela unlikable at all. I think she is one of the most interesting things in the show.

As for making her "like a man" because she has muscles?






The idea that you think of that as "man like" as opposed to physically fit/muscle bound probably has more to do with your perception of womans roles in society then anything else. It's not "like a man" to have muscle mass and definition. You only need to take a step outside and look at any normal person walking around to realize how insane He-Mans body shape is and how unfit most people are male or female.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

 insaniak wrote:
Balerion wrote:
...Teela being really unlikeable ...

What makes you say that?

Honest question, because I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, but I liked her character just fine. So I'm curious as to why people think she's unlikeable.

She seemed very bitchy to me. Don't know a better word to describe it. Also the fact they tried to portray her as amazing and flawless. In the very first episode they even told us so if I remember correctly Which always makes me roll my eyes when they do that in movies.

 insaniak wrote:

What I find interesting is that the only way they seem to be able to write a strong female lead is to basically make her a man. She looks almost bigger than the original He-man

You might want to adjust the aspect ratio on your screen. Even He-Man in this isn't bigger than the original. Teela is quite recognisably a woman, just a muscly one... which is entirely appropriate for the character, given her job description.

Well, she's quite muscly indeed. Even natural female bodybuilders would have a hard time competing with Teela
I watched the first episode of the original filmation He-man afterwards to get an idea of the differences between the shows and He-man in that show isn't actually that big. New Teela is pretty close to that The impression I got was that they strengthened male attributes in her to make her look strong. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to make to ma a strong female character, making her manly seems a bit lazy, no?
In the end, I don't really care how muscly they make her, it's a cartoon. I just find it kind of ironic
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






Im curious what you’re calling male attributes.

 
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

Her newfound musclyness being one of them. Her appearance is more manly than feminine especially when contrasted to her original design from what I can see. To me it just felt like that they wanted to make her a new He-man.
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






I think you’re imagining it. She’s got more muscles than the original, sure, but the original was practically a Barbie. She no where near the size of the dudes in this, as they also bulked up.

 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






 Azreal13 wrote:
If you wanna deep dive toy franchises that disappeared without trace, how about Marshall Bravestarr?


Oh. Oh my sweet summer child with ribbons in your hair!

You completely misspelt Galaxy Rangers there. N00b.




A strong contender for best cartoon theme song ever.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

 AduroT wrote:
I think you’re imagining it. She’s got more muscles than the original, sure, but the original was practically a Barbie. She no where near the size of the dudes in this, as they also bulked up.

I'm not comparing her to other characters in this new show, I'm comparing her to her original design and to the original He-man.
We can agree to disagree, it's fine

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 09:13:12


 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





Behold, a man!

I could see how it'd be confusing, the new teela has human female proportions vs the wasp in human skin of the original.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 10:27:49


 
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

Good luck to every girl who'd like to look like the new Teela It's honestly even more extreme than the old Teela, since that look you can get with a corset at least.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 10:41:19


 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch





You can keep yer wyrd west cowboy injun, where's my Pirates of Dark Water, its eco, its diverse, its got boats...

@ Doc, its not bad but all cartoon themes from the 80s/90s can be divided in Ulysses 31 and not that

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 10:53:12


"AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED." 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Balerion wrote:
Good luck to every girl who'd like to look like the new Teela It's honestly even more extreme than the old Teela, since that look you can get with a corset at least.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 11:05:38


 
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

Cronch wrote:
Balerion wrote:
Good luck to every girl who'd like to look like the new Teela It's honestly even more extreme than the old Teela, since that look you can get with a corset at least.

pic

And how did you get THAT from what I wrote? You are projecting too much, mate.
Please explain how you got to that conclusion, I'm very interested in those mental gymnastics you did

EDIT: oh cmon, you accused me of thinking women are objects and then you remove it, while I'm replying? not cool!


EDIT2: Teela's arms are like twice as big as the woman in the picture. So not sure what's that supposed to prove.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 11:11:34


 
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






Balerion wrote:
Good luck to every girl who'd like to look like the new Teela It's honestly even more extreme than the old Teela, since that look you can get with a corset at least.


Unlike He-Man, who has a physique any dude could easily achieve.

 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Balerion wrote:
Cronch wrote:
Balerion wrote:
Good luck to every girl who'd like to look like the new Teela It's honestly even more extreme than the old Teela, since that look you can get with a corset at least.

pic

And how did you get THAT from what I wrote? You are projecting too much, mate.
Please explain how you got to that conclusion, I'm very interested in those mental gymnastics you did

EDIT: oh cmon, you accused me of thinking women are objects and then you remove it, while I'm replying? not cool!


EDIT2: Teela's arms are like twice as big as the woman in the picture. So not sure what's that supposed to prove.


I removed the comment cause the picture did better job of it. But also yes, I still think you believe women exist to please your eyes, as evident from your reaction to "manly" buff teela.
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






On the subject of women who could snap me like a twig…



 
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

 AduroT wrote:
Balerion wrote:
Good luck to every girl who'd like to look like the new Teela It's honestly even more extreme than the old Teela, since that look you can get with a corset at least.


Unlike He-Man, who has a physique any dude could easily achieve.

So the solution is not to make actual achievable physique on the characters, but add more unachievable physiques? Isn't that kind of weird? If old Teela had unattainable physique (and I'd argue it's not that unattainable if a woman wants to suffer in a corset like in history... ) then is really the solution to go in the other extreme? Because getting a physique like new Teela in a natural way.... well, good luck and hats off to every woman who pulls that off.

What's confusing to me is the fact, that people nowadays complain about unattainable physiques for your average human (fitness models in ads etc.) and then they make characters like Teela or others a bodybuilder.

It's a cartoon, so whatever, but don't tell me new Teela has a human female physique and the old Teela doesn't Because that's crazy talk.

As for He-man, the old one looks like Arnold physique to me. The new one is nuts.




   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

The achievable physique thing is a red herring. For me, new Teela actually looks like someone whose job involves hitting other people with heavy things, while original Teela looks like a Barbie doll.

You don't have to find it attractive. She's not going to sleep with you anyway. But the idea that she shouldn't have visible muscle definition is just... Odd.

 
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

Cronch wrote:

I removed the comment cause the picture did better job of it. But also yes, I still think you believe women exist to please your eyes, as evident from your reaction to "manly" buff teela.

Maybe you are just missing the point here mate You are just projecting your ideas here.
Let me ask you a question, kind of personal. What experience do you have with weight lifting, bulking and cutting? I'm asking because what I'm trying to say, is that new Teela's physique is even harder to achieve for your average woman than the old Teela's. If we are talking about human female proportions that is.



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 insaniak wrote:
The achievable physique thing is a red herring. For me, new Teela actually looks like someone whose job involves hitting other people with heavy things, while original Teela looks like a Barbie doll.

You don't have to find it attractive. She's not going to sleep with you anyway. But the idea that she shouldn't have visible muscle definition is just... Odd.

Whoa whoa. How did we got to attractiveness and sleeping with someone? Guys, this is an animated cartoon, if you are going to discuss stuff like this, leave me out of it

EDIT: Having muscle definition is not the issue here.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 11:50:07


 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




new Teela's physique is even harder to achieve for your average woman

Good thing she's a goddamn super-hero in a fantasy land where a man drawing a sword can grow and shrink in mass on demand.

it's amazing how he-man's physique is okay, cause he's obviously a Heroic Male, but Teela's badwrong cause an average female would not be able to look like her.
Average western human male on planet earth is overweight, and more men are overweight than female. He-man is more unrealistic than teela.
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

Cronch wrote:
new Teela's physique is even harder to achieve for your average woman

Good thing she's a goddamn super-hero in a fantasy land where a man drawing a sword can grow and shrink in mass on demand.

it's amazing how he-man's physique is okay, cause he's obviously a Heroic Male, but Teela's badwrong cause an average female would not be able to look like her.
Average western human male on planet earth is overweight, and more men are overweight than female. He-man is more unrealistic than teela.

See? I said the same things. It's a cartoon so they can make her as big as they want, but then don't tell me that she has real human female physique unlike original Teela. Because she doesn't.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




original teela also didn't have human female physique. A human female can get big muscular arms. A human female cannot get waist as thin as OG teela without surgery or corsets.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 insaniak wrote:
Honest question, because I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, but I liked her character just fine. So I'm curious as to why people think she's unlikeable.
She didn't have the most sympathetic introduction to her character arc.

Randor: "My son" :(
Marlena: "My son" :(
Man at Arms: "Your son" :(
Teela: "You pack of liars! I hate you all! ME!" (paraphrased)

The show didn't take the time to build up to this - it's hard to sell character defining betrayal without defining the character, harder still when up to that point Teela had been lavished with praise, entrusted with power, and barely exchanged two words with Adam or He-Man. The whole story really lacks buildup to give the scene more weight than dummy-spitting outrage.
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






Teela’s physique isn’t that far off though. There are multiple pictures of women with arms like that in this very thread.

 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






The only human in Masters of the Universe is Queen Marlena.

Adam, Teela, Randor and Duncan are Eternians.

Who’s to say Eternian musculature matches us weedy Humies? Certainly Duncan is a hunka hunka burning love with a physique to match He-Man’s, if not the raw strength the power of Greyskull grants the latter.

And we never see them working out. Stands to reason they therefore have a higher than us muscle mass.

End.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

That haircut, as soon as you see it you know what's up

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 14:48:08


Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: