Switch Theme:

[Modiphius] - Fallout Wasteland Warfare 2022: June releases - Protectrons, Children of Atom, STLs  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Bane Knight






 Psychopomp wrote:
I read the full wordy review. More and more, the cards are pushing me away from this game. They were a very bad idea - there's too many of them now, and as the game expands, it's just getting worse and worse.

Well, the cards, and the scale and conversion-unfriendly nature of the minis. More and more, FO:WW feels like a card collecting game that requires me to paint small statuettes as stand-ins.


I certainly agree that the cards while a novel idea on launch are becoming a logistical and player concern. Its something we are addressing as we move forward as its one of the major barriers to entry/fun I see as feedback for sure.

Curious on the scale thing? As in you are not a fan of 32mm?

Conversion wise, certainly as we move out of phase 1 minis (everything until wave 5) and into wave 6 and beyond you will start to see more options and load out flexibility.
Plus we have our first plastic kits coming in early 2023 (all being well, they are certainly sculpted) so that's going to be a huge boon on that front.

There is a top secret project that will also answer some of these questions in a different way for players (some would say like myself) who want to play in the Fallout universe but in a different way with a different focus than wasteland warfare. We are going to do a reveal for wave 7 later in the year that should also at the very least hint at what form that might take and its angling for a 2023 launch.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/20 13:40:24


...and you will know me by the trail of my lead... 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Psychopomp wrote:
I read the full wordy review. More and more, the cards are pushing me away from this game. They were a very bad idea - there's too many of them now, and as the game expands, it's just getting worse and worse.

Well, the cards, and the scale and conversion-unfriendly nature of the minis. More and more, FO:WW feels like a card collecting game that requires me to paint small statuettes as stand-ins.


I really like the cards vs a bunch of tables for setting up units and it's nice having the rules for the perks and items right there as you play -- but for a lot of the others I don't disagree (though I think quests and unit/faction reference cards work better as cards). the NV book had a new system for events that removes those cards as well and just has map wide events that affect things every turn -- which is really nice.

For the Regional Deck I wouldn't mind searching for equipment during setup to be able to add that to a unit but everything else in that table doesn't need them.

It is interesting that ES:CTA has a lot of cards but I never feel like there's too much but you only have equipment for Heroic units (the normal units have all their equipment rules on the cards), only 1 AI card per faction (I could see FWW 2.0 toning down all the unique AI cards when/if it gets announced) and then it's event deck is used at the end of every turn and building it is easy as all you're doing is adding cards from one type of event card. There's also an item deck and it's made similar to FWW. It's a much quicker setup and takes less space.

The newer models that have been getting released are multipart (at least the grunts) with swappable heads and arms so that improves the conversion side. And next year we should be getting HIPS plastic Powerarmor sets.

Scale wise I love it. I wouldn't mind them being just slightly bigger so they'd actually be O scale but they're very close and it gives me a lot of options for terrain and NPCs. Our hobby has dumb scales and I wouldn't cry if tomorrow everyone was using the wider scale modeling scales 1:48 (O scale/34-35mm), 1:72 (HO, 20mm), 1:100 (15mm) and so on instead of this nonsensical it's mm to the eyes, head or hair that people can never agree on (though eyes has become the most common).

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 2022/05/20 19:08:00


 
   
Made in us
Morbid Black Knight





California

Plastic power armor sets would be a dream, the BoS and enclave armors are my favorite models from this game so far. I've only recently got into this game. But i've had some issues getting airbrush primers to stick to the resin despite washing them pretty thoroughly.

I don't have a 3d printer so it kinda sucks I can't get some of the cars like the pick are up truck or the other cars. I did pick up one of the resin corvega sedans though. With some effort this game does look great on the tabletop.

 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Thargrim wrote:
Plastic power armor sets would be a dream, the BoS and enclave armors are my favorite models from this game so far. I've only recently got into this game. But i've had some issues getting airbrush primers to stick to the resin despite washing them pretty thoroughly.

I don't have a 3d printer so it kinda sucks I can't get some of the cars like the pick are up truck or the other cars. I did pick up one of the resin corvega sedans though. With some effort this game does look great on the tabletop.


The resin is Hydrophoic to various degrees, depending on the batch, and Jon has been investigating why but it takes time. Just use rattle can spray paint as generally the enamel stuff isn't effected. If you need to use airbrush primer you'll need to start slow and only prime with about 10%-15% overall coverage and slowly build up layers. I can get it to stick but it's generally 4-5 very light passes of primer. going with such small coverage helps the binders work better and doing at least one light layer is considered best practice for primers and paints overall with an airbrush or spraycan.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/05/20 21:38:14


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 JonWebb wrote:

Curious on the scale thing? As in you are not a fan of 32mm?


Certainly not 32mm true scale. I have a lot of other post-apocalypse miniatures and conversions, but they just don't mix well with Modiphius minis. All the latter look like elongated, gangly giants.

I wanted to add Fallout to what I already had, not replace what I already had. After my last attempt using the other miniatures that I thought would be close in scale (they were supposed to be extra settlers to add to Modiphius's four sculpts) the models barely came up to Nate's chin. I've put my Fallout stuff in a box in the back of the closet and stopped buying. It's been very discouraging.

   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 Monkeysloth wrote:
Scale wise I love it. I wouldn't mind them being just slightly bigger so they'd actually be O scale but they're very close and it gives me a lot of options for terrain and NPCs. Our hobby has dumb scales and I wouldn't cry if tomorrow everyone was using the wider scale modeling scales 1:48 (O scale/34-35mm), 1:72 (HO, 20mm), 1:100 (15mm) and so on instead of this nonsensical it's mm to the eyes, head or hair that people can never agree on (though eyes has become the most common).


I certainly like the Fallout models as they are (even if I'm aging less than gracefully and working with larger models is easier these days...) but scale is only half of it. I'd certainly prefer if the industry adopted actual scale as you say, 1:whatever. But you can't discount style in this. Modiphius opted for the more realistic end for their sculpts, but still had to make concessions to durability and casting. You can't make a realistically scaled gun at 1:48 and expect it to stand up to any amount of handling. It would just break. If you sculpt detail to be perfectly scaled down, you'd get mushy detail. It's why in scale kit vehicles usually look good but crew are a letdown. You have to exaggerate to some degree at least to achieve good looking miniatures.

There's no way around finding a style that makes the miniatures work on their own merits instead of attempting for them to be perfectly downscaled representations of the real thing. So even if you achieved some homogenization by getting everyone aboard the scale train instead of this largely useless millimeter business, you'd still be looking at stylistic differences that lead to incompatibilities among models that nominally share a scale.

Looking at Pychopomp's problem I don't think anything about that would really change. I don't think you'd just have everyone agree to produce for 1:48. 1:56 (28mm) is bound to stick around and give you something that's irritatingly close, but not close enough. Just as it is now. Lamentable as the lack of industry standards is, it's deeply rooted at this point and not something I expect could be fixed so easily.

That's without going into the ever so popular topic of proprietary scale, in this case, because a company doesn't want to compete with similarly scaled model makers. You just know that's still going to happen.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 Geifer wrote:
 Monkeysloth wrote:
Scale wise I love it. I wouldn't mind them being just slightly bigger so they'd actually be O scale but they're very close and it gives me a lot of options for terrain and NPCs. Our hobby has dumb scales and I wouldn't cry if tomorrow everyone was using the wider scale modeling scales 1:48 (O scale/34-35mm), 1:72 (HO, 20mm), 1:100 (15mm) and so on instead of this nonsensical it's mm to the eyes, head or hair that people can never agree on (though eyes has become the most common).


I certainly like the Fallout models as they are (even if I'm aging less than gracefully and working with larger models is easier these days...) but scale is only half of it. I'd certainly prefer if the industry adopted actual scale as you say, 1:whatever. But you can't discount style in this. Modiphius opted for the more realistic end for their sculpts, but still had to make concessions to durability and casting. You can't make a realistically scaled gun at 1:48 and expect it to stand up to any amount of handling. It would just break. If you sculpt detail to be perfectly scaled down, you'd get mushy detail. It's why in scale kit vehicles usually look good but crew are a letdown. You have to exaggerate to some degree at least to achieve good looking miniatures.

There's no way around finding a style that makes the miniatures work on their own merits instead of attempting for them to be perfectly downscaled representations of the real thing. So even if you achieved some homogenization by getting everyone aboard the scale train instead of this largely useless millimeter business, you'd still be looking at stylistic differences that lead to incompatibilities among models that nominally share a scale.


This is absolutely another factor. 10mm pistols and BOS laser rifles at this scale/proportioning are just tiny slivers of resin. One of my BOS laser rifles snapped off in the box, and another snapped off while I was trying to clean flash between the barrel and that little support strut below it.

Even if, by some miracle, Modiphius suddenly started selling STLs of all their minis so I could rescale them down to 90%, that still wouldn't solve my issues, because the guns would be 1.5mm thick and all the humans would have arms like thick spaghetti noodles.

All of this is super frustrating, because I like the game system - despite the current glut of cards - because of the narrative freedom the various modes and AI rules give you. But they give you all this creative freedom and a collection of static Fallout 4 statuettes in boardgame scaling to use with it. I don't care that the game isn't intended to be WYSIWYG, I'm a wargame modeller! I WANT WYSIWYG! But Modiphius isn't providing me a solid base to work with, here. If someone else is fine playing FO:WW with only the FO:WW miniatures, more power to them! But for what I wanted, the FO:WW miniatures feel like a set from a particularly assembly-intensive boardgame, to me.

If I continue with FO:WW, it's going to be using the rules but converted 28mm miniatures. My hope for this game was that it would give me officially licensed miniatures so I didn't have to settle for "Yeah, that's so close I don't mind any differences," conversions anymore. And I gave it a chance. A few hundred dollars worth of chance, actually. But on the miniatures front, Modiphius failed to provide what I hoped for, and at this point, I have to write the miniatures I have off as a sunk cost. The only further purchases, barring a rescale to actual wargaming conversion-friendly proportions, I will be making going forward will be terrain STLs and maybe some rules packs. (I've dropped off on purchasing rules packs, because of the card bloat. I think my last purchase that wasn't a terrain STL was Into the Wasteland.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/21 16:34:36


 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Geifer wrote:
I certainly like the Fallout models as they are (even if I'm aging less than gracefully and working with larger models is easier these days...) but scale is only half of it. I'd certainly prefer if the industry adopted actual scale as you say, 1:whatever. But you can't discount style in this. Modiphius opted for the more realistic end for their sculpts, but still had to make concessions to durability and casting. You can't make a realistically scaled gun at 1:48 and expect it to stand up to any amount of handling. It would just break. If you sculpt detail to be perfectly scaled down, you'd get mushy detail. It's why in scale kit vehicles usually look good but crew are a letdown. You have to exaggerate to some degree at least to achieve good looking miniatures.

There's no way around finding a style that makes the miniatures work on their own merits instead of attempting for them to be perfectly downscaled representations of the real thing. So even if you achieved some homogenization by getting everyone aboard the scale train instead of this largely useless millimeter business, you'd still be looking at stylistic differences that lead to incompatibilities among models that nominally share a scale.


Psychopomp wrote:
This is absolutely another factor. 10mm pistols and BOS laser rifles at this scale/proportioning are just tiny slivers of resin. One of my BOS laser rifles snapped off in the box, and another snapped off while I was trying to clean flash between the barrel and that little support strut below it.

Even if, by some miracle, Modiphius suddenly started selling STLs of all their minis so I could rescale them down to 90%, that still wouldn't solve my issues, because the guns would be 1.5mm thick and all the humans would have arms like thick spaghetti noodles.


I agree with the weapon problem. Jon has stated they've been remastering old sculpts to increase the size of the parts that break easily and are paying attention to this more (see vault girls giant thumb in the final STL vs what the store image looks like which you can find in the customer print images). I much prefer True Scale proportions but designing for the scale and material should always come first. While Modiphius was pretty new to miniatures at the time so it's likely just a lack of experience and they clearly went with great looking grays. With the plastic kits being working on they sought out a sculptor use to the requirements of the material which is pretty good news.

It's why I don't like a decent amount of what's out there for 3D printing as there's a reason some of the designs that are being sold as only something printing could allow never were a thing before is it would break just in one game if they could even get it out of the mold.


Looking at Pychopomp's problem I don't think anything about that would really change. I don't think you'd just have everyone agree to produce for 1:48. 1:56 (28mm) is bound to stick around and give you something that's irritatingly close, but not close enough. Just as it is now. Lamentable as the lack of industry standards is, it's deeply rooted at this point and not something I expect could be fixed so easily.

That's without going into the ever so popular topic of proprietary scale, in this case, because a company doesn't want to compete with similarly scaled model makers. You just know that's still going to happen.


Ya. It will never happen unless GW or Wizards start doing it. Probably need both to be honest. But I don't think it would lead to proprietary models as there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that now. In fact we've just seen people moving larger up to 30mm as the standard over the past few years. My other hot takes are15 or 20mm should have been the default for RPGs, as the larger scales really just are impractical for how those games work, and PVC is the best material for this hobby as the minis are indestructible and I don't know why people insist on detail (which increases fragility) when you're looking at these things from several arms lengths away. I know why manufacturers do it which is to make something look nice in stores or in pictures but metal, resin, styrene plastic are all not idea for regular transport and gameplay.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Pychopmp's problem is a hard one as not only are a lot of post apoc "28mm" but they're really on the smaller end of 28 closer to 25mm (again, dumb scale stuff) so FWW 32mm look really bad next to them. It's why I shifted to looking for O Scale stuff for NPCs. There's a lot of WW2 era stuff out there any only about 1-2mm taller then an average FWW model which doesn't bother me.

Psychopomp wrote:
All of this is super frustrating, because I like the game system - despite the current glut of cards - because of the narrative freedom the various modes and AI rules give you. But they give you all this creative freedom and a collection of static Fallout 4 statuettes in boardgame scaling to use with it. I don't care that the game isn't intended to be WYSIWYG, I'm a wargame modeller! I WANT WYSIWYG! But Modiphius isn't providing me a solid base to work with, here. If someone else is fine playing FO:WW with only the FO:WW miniatures, more power to them! But for what I wanted, the FO:WW miniatures feel like a set from a particularly assembly-intensive boardgame, to me.


I think I'm pretty happy I never got into the WYSIWYG thing with modding and all that, I tried taking some GS sculpting classes at Gencon but it was not for me, as it lets me keep my expectations low I guess. I've also barely worked with HIPS and don't enjoy the kits (though 90% of what I have is Kingdom Death and Malifaux so not quite the most assemble friendly out there) and assembly is my least favorite thing about the hobby. I hate it so much.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/05/25 01:28:26


 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





I got a complementary copy of the Commonwealth book from Modiphius and decided to do another writeup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wastelandwarfare/comments/v1ixo0/the_commonwealth_book_review/

This is also rather long so I'll give you all the TLDR:

The new cards are great. They feel very sturdy and less flex then earlier sets. They are die-cut like the New Vegas expansion but it takes very little effort to get these out of their sheet and, while not smooth around the edges, the bumps are much less noticeable.

Rules wise it adds in custom rules for most of the official terrain. Your milage may very depending on the scenario and the game mode you like playing but some are really great. There's also custom item search lists for all the container terrain that encourages you to mix up what you put on your map and might give you priorities on what you want to search (though what you get is random from the list) but if you use these you'll want a separate container item deck so you're not always reshuffling your other item draw deck. Also back are Regional Rules. Still the same complaint about the item lists for them (and the containers mentioned above) but the additional regional effect for a lot of these are great. Much more interesting set then what's in AAT#1. Several also can spawn AI controlled units as a 3rd faction which is something I feel FWW has been missing as ES:CTA has this and its great.

There are 6 scenarios that are split even between thematic and more traditional. The thematic ones are for defending and Hearding Brahmin and look really fun and a lot like a FO4/76 quest. These are on the top of my "to play" list.

Lastly the rest of the content feel like things that should have been included in the 2-player starter set or as a companion book at launch as there are more painting guides, faction introductions and moving the terrain rules from the reference cards into the book. It can make you feel like you're reading a mix of old and new stuff but almost everything is new in the book (some of the painting guides are reprints as well as the turret rules). The last line of the reddit review sums up how much I liked the Commonwealth:

I think the biggest complement I can give this is I'm now much more excited to see what the next expansion book is and really looking forward for the Capital Wasteland's book next year.
   
Made in gb
Bane Knight






June releases have arrived.

In the world of resin, we have two new sets.

The Protectron Workers box adds three new sculpts for new robot options to bulk out any budding Mechanist force or provide support to several of the other factions.

Meanwhile the first of the Children of Atom arrive, looking to spread a warm glow to all potential members of their flock.

On the STL front, there is a new set containing all the chems, meds, food and drink you could shake an Iguana on a Stick at.

All available on the webstore now and hopefully at all the better LGS around the world.
STLs can also be bought from MyMiniFactory or DriveThru RPG and come presupported for easy printing.
[Thumb - ProtectonWorkers_Scene_Commonwealth_FO_RGB-150dpi.jpg]

[Thumb - ChildrenOfAtomCore_Scene_FO_RGB-150dpi.jpg]

[Thumb - [FO]_Consumables-Set_Food-&-Drink-Set-A_WhiteBG_@1200px.jpg]

[Thumb - [FO]_Consumables-Set_Chems-&-Meds-Set-A_WhiteBG_@1200px.jpg]


...and you will know me by the trail of my lead... 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





The Protectron Worker set is finally here. The wasteland is safe again.
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






Praise Atom! Division can't come soon enough, but in the meantime I'll take that box.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





I'm really happy with this months STL releases. Getting items like this to print well takes some effort when designing them and while I've made some of my own things (I have my own soda brand with a unique bottle design I've been using) and there are some 3rd party items none are as detailed as these.

Also ordered 3 packs of the Protectron Workers. Just wish there were the cargo loading arms for the Utility Protectron and the alternate loadouts from the concept art for each. Some of those should be easy to make like the Fire Juice hose, as Jon would call it, for the firefighter.

Also Jon. When we getting Starfield tabletop?

   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





New releases and blog post.

https://www.modiphius.net/blogs/news/fallout-friday-july-2022

First off Swan is getting released and a pricy $73 price point but it's not a small model nor one that's likely kind to the molds either. Also everything is just way more then it use to be.

But it is an amazing model and it's a good thing Modiphius got Swan out in time for Gencon as it's showcase figure in my opinion.



Mr Handy set is also out. All 3 bodies are the same so there nothing unique between the Handy, Gutsy and Nanny outside of paint which is for the best as if you want 3 gutsy models you don't want to buy 3 boxes. There are some differences in arm loadouts from the preview videos but not a lot of variety there sadly as there are several arms/attachments not available FWW yet.

For 3d printers we got FO76 and FO4 style bobble heads and toys.



Just got my 8k printer yesterday and printed 260 of the chems on one plate (I gave up adding more after a while). I don't think I'll need that many bobble heads but I'm happy I got such a high resolution and precise printer now for all these small greebles Modiphius is producing.

Lastly we got Into the Vault as a PDF. This is your random dungeon crawler expansion. I haven't had much time to look through it but I was pleasantly surprised it was more complicated in possible layouts vs what ES:CTA's Into the dark has (which is just 1'x1' rooms only) as Into the Vault has hallways, stairs and different room layouts. It's card based like Into the Wasteland but here the cards are a plus as you're randomly drawing from a stack to see what the adjoining rooms are. I'll get some time to read through it this weekend and it also looks like it would be easy to mod to switch this to office buildings.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
So some thoughts on Into the Vault.

The rules have you placing new rooms/hallways as soon as you have line of sight to a possible location even if during an action. This is an odd rule as forcing a player to stop mid action to draw cards, roll dice and lay down terrain (or something to mark the size of the next room) will get old really fast. I would be surprised if anyone really ever plays this rule as written as doing all that after the action makes more sense.

I like how the next section aspect of the rules weights that if you're in a room you're more likely to get a corridor, and visa versa, as opposed to being truly random what's next (say just from shuffling cards into a single deck).

The units for how big the terrain should be is abstract units so you can use any set you want. So if a room is 6x3 it's up to you what that means. Clearly this was intended to use the modiphius vault sets so that would be 6 vault wall pieces by 3 vault wall pieces. This will lead to completely different experiences for people depending on what they decide to use (which is cool) but also probably frustrate people that no recommended length for each "wall length" unit. I think the official vault walls are 3" each. So 6x3 units would be 18"x9".

Natural AI from Into the Wasteland replaces with a simple dice roll for 3 options only. Honestly for the best. Natural AI just wouldn't have enough room to regularly work in the smaller areas but you could use it if you really wanted too.

Terminals have some rules for named rooms that can give you some nice benefits. All other times you can use them to unlock nearby doors.

16 scenarios of various lengths. from basic stuff like Kill x number of units or reach certain rooms to more complex ones having multiple objectives that have to be done.

A very nice summery/flow chart cheat sheet of setup and play. If this ever goes to print this should be a PDF people can get from the downloads page to print easier.



Overall I think this is a pretty interesting rule set but it's complex enough I'll need to play it a few times to see how things flow. It's much more what I was hoping from Into the Dark (Elder Scrolls: A Call to Arms) which is like 6 random rooms only, boss fight, and you're done. There is no boss fight recommendations here. Fallout doesn't really do that too often, unlike ES, but it's easy to add as you can preselect harder enemies and deploy them in certain rooms if they come up yourself.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2022/07/09 04:51:32


 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: