Switch Theme:

(Not) Santas Workshop of the Strange, Wierd, and Wonderful - 21 June -Dragons Den - pg 72!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Omnious Orc Shaman





A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away...

No. Words.

......
.......




Once More Unto the Breach diorama blog
Conversions and scratchbuilds featuring a Thunderhawk & Thunderbolt
Random stuff blog

The tribe feasted upon Goblin-flesh long into the night - all except for Ruglud, who couldn't get his helmet off, and was reduced to sucking broth through a straw 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Gargantuan Great Squiggoth





Not where I should be

And again, awesome. stunning work so far.

   
Made in gb
Mastering Non-Metallic Metal







I'm always impressed at how clean and sharp you sculpt your details. I have to go back in later and carve away stuff to sharpen up my sculpting. Good work.


* -=]_,=-eague Spruemeister General. * A (sprue) Hut tutorial * Check my Facebook Page or my Etsy shop *
The army- ~2295 points (built).
Dsteingass - Dr. H..You are a role model for Internet Morality! // inmygravenimage - Dr H is a model to us all
Theophony - Sprue for the spruemeister, plastic for his plastic throne! // Shasolenzabi - Toilets, more complex than folks take time to think about!  
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran







Thank you guys!

Well, it is happeing again...my attention span is shrinking and I'm constantly distracted :(
I hope it is not the start of a "low phase"

But something new caught my attention.
I found a small piece of wood in my shed as I was preparing logs for the wood burner.
It is really small, but it caught my attention and an image of a guardian on watch came to my mind.
Once this idea was in my head, the "Shore Leave" had no chance

So while I had the basic idea of a guardian standing on an outcrop of rocks, I still had no real idea of any setting or details.
But looking at the little piece of wood I was thinking about how I could realistically use it as a base or plinth.
It would have to positioned that the one flat side was the top and the other was the rear - so that it really looked like an outcrop. With this in mind I started some sketching.

Over the last one or two years it became fashion to build vignettes or dioramas with a painted background integrated - just like these here Crystal Brush entries (NOT mine :


I wanted to try something similar, but also try to give it a bit more "depth".
So I sculpted a frame for the little piece of wood


With the idea to draw the landscape then into the background


Probably with a city in the background, maybe an airship?


The basic frame was done with SuperSculpey. Once that was baked, I built a frame of plastic card around it and filled (and integrated) everything with Milliput.


And a first positioning test.


I added some flag stones and other details with GreenStuff


The base model is a "female armature" from HassleFree Miniatures ( http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=female-armature~hfl503&category=accessories~converting )


With GreenStuff I sculpted a bit of chain mail as well as some armour to the legs



Then I added a bit of a tabard, flowing in the breeze


and some chest armour


The piece in the front flowing a bit stronger


Together with chest and shoulder armour this already looks quite cool



Last night I added the rest of her boots as well as a first draft for the sword and spear


So what do you think?


Anything still missing?


I look forward to your feedback, suggestions and critiques!
Cheers

Klaus

-

my Blog: DEI GRECI  
   
Made in us
Liche Priest Hierophant






Honestly, when I first saw it, I thought "That's a cavern entrance"- I was expecting something more dwarfy.

From the more jungly look you've gone for, I'm thinking maybe go with a slightly more jungly character? Maybe see if you can get some leaf-patterns on the armour, and perhaps a leaf-blade spear instead of a voulgy polearm? Straps and even feathers could be good as decorations as well.

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

If yer an Ork, why dont ya WAAAGH!!

M.A.V.- if you liked ChromeHounds, drop by the site and give it a go. Or check out my M.A.V. Oneshots videos on YouTube! 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Storm Trooper with Maglight






I like where this is going- as soon as I saw the frame it put me in mind of an entrance to the world of the Little People, the Faeries of Irish myth, with a Way Watcher. This is wonderful work.

I don't really think anything is missing, per se, but is there a means of indicating that there are two complete worlds, one on each side of the entrance- possibly by having a light source (even a sun) on one side that casts light onto the other? And one side would be in evening phase, whilst the other was in early morning- to emphasize that they are two different places, but something coming through the rift/portal/passage joins them?

Or, could this be like the entrance to Arthur Conan Doyle's "Lost World", and it's all on Earth, but perhaps a flyer (bird, flying reptile, etc) in the air we see on the other side?

Another fantastic fantasy setting coming to life!

"He fears his fate too much, or his desserts are small, who will not put it to a single touch; to win- or lose- it all."

Montrose Toast 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran







Anvildude wrote:Honestly, when I first saw it, I thought "That's a cavern entrance"- I was expecting something more dwarfy.

From the more jungly look you've gone for, I'm thinking maybe go with a slightly more jungly character? Maybe see if you can get some leaf-patterns on the armour, and perhaps a leaf-blade spear instead of a voulgy polearm? Straps and even feathers could be good as decorations as well.

Hehe, glad I could surprise you
Yeah, I did add a few leaves and plants, but I'm not sure if I want to go all the way to jungly...
We'll see - Thanks Mate

Meer_Cat wrote:I like where this is going- as soon as I saw the frame it put me in mind of an entrance to the world of the Little People, the Faeries of Irish myth, with a Way Watcher. This is wonderful work.

I don't really think anything is missing, per se, but is there a means of indicating that there are two complete worlds, one on each side of the entrance- possibly by having a light source (even a sun) on one side that casts light onto the other? And one side would be in evening phase, whilst the other was in early morning- to emphasize that they are two different places, but something coming through the rift/portal/passage joins them?

Or, could this be like the entrance to Arthur Conan Doyle's "Lost World", and it's all on Earth, but perhaps a flyer (bird, flying reptile, etc) in the air we see on the other side?

Another fantastic fantasy setting coming to life!

Thank you
The idea was to have it like a hidden "valley" - think Shangri-La or Shambhala - but I'll see where the actual painting of the background leads me to
If I do it like a portal to a different world, I would have to add some kind of effect too - which I haven't planned.
We'll see

Last night I added a few more leaves


The sword(handle) got some details


And some minor details


I hope the depth and "hidden path" into the valley will be visible in the end


I hope the setup will make a watcher courious to see what's back there, if there's anything else hidden...
Looking at the first image, I see that the frame is casting a considerable shadow onto the background, this could impede the feelingof the background. So I'm considering to add a few LED between the current frame and the background - most likely on top and the two sides.
This would also give it a different atmosphere to the foreground.
I hope you like todays update
Cheers
Klaus

-

my Blog: DEI GRECI  
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Gargantuan Great Squiggoth





Not where I should be

And you are at it again. Just raising the bar. Very nice bud.

   
Made in gb
Mastering Non-Metallic Metal







 Klaus, not Santa wrote:
...Anything still missing?...
Hair?

Great job. Nice looking piece.

As a crazy idea to throw out there, re. the shadow on the backdrop:
How about painting the backdrop on tracing paper, and then lighting it from the rear? That would make the things in the "distance" well lit, independent of the modelling subject. Would also give a glow to the rear opening.
You would have to be very careful with the painting method of that though, underlying layers of paint or pencil marks etc. would show through, I'm sure there's someone out there that would have a method for doing it well; research would be required.

Or, just had the idea... Spacing the backdrop from the frame and lighting it from above, through the gap. That would be simpler.


* -=]_,=-eague Spruemeister General. * A (sprue) Hut tutorial * Check my Facebook Page or my Etsy shop *
The army- ~2295 points (built).
Dsteingass - Dr. H..You are a role model for Internet Morality! // inmygravenimage - Dr H is a model to us all
Theophony - Sprue for the spruemeister, plastic for his plastic throne! // Shasolenzabi - Toilets, more complex than folks take time to think about!  
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran







Hi all,

thank you for your comments and suggestions.
Reacting on the several sword and spear comments I decided to take the spear away.
Right now I simply lowered her arm.


I'm not sure if I keep the pose and what I will place in her hand. I'm considering to give her a signal horn. Let me know what you think!


So now it's time to consider the background.
Here I placed a sample background I downloaded and printed - it's not mine!


To counter the shadows and give it a separate atmosphere I will now add lights to the background.
I have some 12V LED that also work with a 9V block - this way they are less bright.


To house the LED I had to build another frame around the existing frame


To provide access to the rear and the LED (as well as protecting them from spray primer later on) the new frame has to be removable (slide-on-slide-off)


Just enough room to hold the LED strip


Voilá


With this the background looks very different - beside it being a different print out *wink*


I think this will be very cool!


And when adding regular ambient (room) light it balances nicely.


Depending on the angle you may get a glimpse of the actual LED


So maybe I have to add a thin milky glass cover to the LED....


Right now I sit here looking at the images with a smile on my face as my plan seems to work
What do you think?
Any feedback, suggestions, ideas?
Signal horn or something different for the left hand?

Thanks

Klaus

-

my Blog: DEI GRECI  
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Storm Trooper with Maglight






THIS. With the background (I quite like the castle one), the lighting and the sense of distance created by the depth of the back frame and front frame- this is exactly what I was poorly trying to describe earlier: two worlds, joined by the passage between, with a guard/observer. The comparison to Shangri-La you made was quite apt, and I think it is here in this vignette.

As for the sentinel, I was fine with the spear, but could easily see an observer carrying a horn with which to sound the alarm. Or, have the best of all possibilities: sword scabbarded, horn slung and a bow in the left hand.

Awesome piece of work!

"He fears his fate too much, or his desserts are small, who will not put it to a single touch; to win- or lose- it all."

Montrose Toast 
   
Made in gb
Mastering Non-Metallic Metal







Yeah, that also works.


* -=]_,=-eague Spruemeister General. * A (sprue) Hut tutorial * Check my Facebook Page or my Etsy shop *
The army- ~2295 points (built).
Dsteingass - Dr. H..You are a role model for Internet Morality! // inmygravenimage - Dr H is a model to us all
Theophony - Sprue for the spruemeister, plastic for his plastic throne! // Shasolenzabi - Toilets, more complex than folks take time to think about!  
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Gargantuan Great Squiggoth





Not where I should be


   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran







Thank you guys!
And a special thanks to those of you checking on me via PM! Thank you for caring and checking
Ouch!
Almost a month since the last post :(
Besides a ton of work in my real-live job, one reason for the lack of update was the frustration I experienced trying to paint a proper background for the Guardian.

The first attempt - directly on the primed plastic card - was...well, not good


The second attempt didn't fare better.


The third attempt - now on cardboard paper - showed promise, but still didn't meet my approval.


After a frustration break the fourth attempt survived the sketching phase and entered the detailing phase


So this is the background that I will use for "The Guardian".


I think it projects the feeling of a sacred valley and a golden city hidden there.


The first positioning test also showed that most of the important sections are visible.


Even better with lights on :-D


So I made some final adjustments and some clean-up.


And then I started painting the frame.


With the cobblestone platform.


The steps and path seen form the rear.


The vegetation was next.


So now most of the sculpted frame is painted.


And so I decided to also give the outer box some ornaments.


Even better with stars.


The other side


and the top


And again with stars


These stars have such a huge effect


And this is where I am right now


I hope you like today's update


What do you think?
Any suggestions, critics, feedback?
I look forward to hearing form you
Cheers

Klaus

-

my Blog: DEI GRECI  
   
Made in us
Crushing Black Templar Crusader Pilot





Arizona

I... I just...

I wanna cry it looks so good...

A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head. - Maxim 12 - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Check out my painting and modeling blog here! Currently I'm working on some Blood Bowl! 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Storm Trooper with Maglight






It's odd, but it has the same effect on me, it literally makes me catch my breath and my chest to tighten up. It's a beautiful object. It could be the centerpiece of a fantasy movie- you could go anywhere through that portal: Barsoom, and fight alongside John Carter, ancient China and search for Prestor John. Shangri-La is almost too prosaic. Conan the Cimmerian would have felt right at home trudging up that mountain path and Boromir would have met him at the top.

The case is what really makes it sing to me. Especially with the stars, it is the Indian in the Cupboard, the Never-ending Story and Neverland all waiting to be let out. And when the lighting is on? Eldritch is the only word I can think of.

I admire greatly many of the works I see here on DakkaDakka, but this one truly resonates with me.

Klaus, if you ever run out of space in your victory cabinet, I will personally row across the Atlantic, hike across France and meet you in Germany to pick it up.

'Wow', indeed!

"He fears his fate too much, or his desserts are small, who will not put it to a single touch; to win- or lose- it all."

Montrose Toast 
   
Made in gb
Shas'o Commanding the Hunter Kadre







That is actually a masterpiece. The lighting in back makes it shine.

I have a minor gripe about how the poor girl's thighs are unnecessarily vulnerable given the armour elsewhere but it is high fantasy after all (And high indeed in all.respects).

Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka





6 foot underwater

Hmmm.....yep, that works

cyborks & flyboyz : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/300067.page
heretical ramblings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/302773.page
imperial preachings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/303365.page
Da Waaagh-ky Races : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/325045.page
Briancj: You have the Mek Taint, MT, and the only thing we can do is watch in horror/amazement.

 
   
Made in gb
Omnious Orc Shaman





A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away...

Just, erm...well.... it..... I...... You.......


.....


....

Nope, I got nothing....

Spoiler:



Once More Unto the Breach diorama blog
Conversions and scratchbuilds featuring a Thunderhawk & Thunderbolt
Random stuff blog

The tribe feasted upon Goblin-flesh long into the night - all except for Ruglud, who couldn't get his helmet off, and was reduced to sucking broth through a straw 
   
Made in gb
Mastering Non-Metallic Metal







Yeah, it's always worth a few attempts at things like that background.

Looks great. Nice one.


* -=]_,=-eague Spruemeister General. * A (sprue) Hut tutorial * Check my Facebook Page or my Etsy shop *
The army- ~2295 points (built).
Dsteingass - Dr. H..You are a role model for Internet Morality! // inmygravenimage - Dr H is a model to us all
Theophony - Sprue for the spruemeister, plastic for his plastic throne! // Shasolenzabi - Toilets, more complex than folks take time to think about!  
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Gargantuan Great Squiggoth





Not where I should be

You are simply the master.

   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran







xXWeaponPrimeXx wrote:I... I just...

I wanna cry it looks so good...

Thank you Mate!
I hope these are tears of joy

Meer_Cat wrote:It's odd, but it has the same effect on me, it literally makes me catch my breath and my chest to tighten up. It's a beautiful object. It could be the centerpiece of a fantasy movie- you could go anywhere through that portal: Barsoom, and fight alongside John Carter, ancient China and search for Prestor John. Shangri-La is almost too prosaic. Conan the Cimmerian would have felt right at home trudging up that mountain path and Boromir would have met him at the top.

The case is what really makes it sing to me. Especially with the stars, it is the Indian in the Cupboard, the Never-ending Story and Neverland all waiting to be let out. And when the lighting is on? Eldritch is the only word I can think of.

I admire greatly many of the works I see here on DakkaDakka, but this one truly resonates with me.

Klaus, if you ever run out of space in your victory cabinet, I will personally row across the Atlantic, hike across France and meet you in Germany to pick it up.

'Wow', indeed!

Thank you my friend!
Indeed my wife is urging me to "liberate" some of my models...but I'm not there yet

Flinty wrote:That is actually a masterpiece. The lighting in back makes it shine.

I have a minor gripe about how the poor girl's thighs are unnecessarily vulnerable given the armour elsewhere but it is high fantasy after all (And high indeed in all.respects).

Thank you Flinty
Yeah a bit of skin is neccessary to keep your attention

monkeytroll wrote:Hmmm.....yep, that works


THANKS!


Ruglud wrote:Just, erm...well.... it..... I...... You.......


.....


....

Nope, I got nothing....

Spoiler:

That's words enough!
Thank you Ruglud!

Dr H wrote:Yeah, it's always worth a few attempts at things like that background.

Looks great. Nice one.

Thank you Doctor!
But now I'll have to tinker around some more ...

Camkierhi wrote:You are simply the master.

Hehe - Thank you Cam!

whoo!

I did continue a bit with "The Guardian" and laid down the foundational colors for her.


But then I got in doubt on how to proceed - especially with the background.
Currently I have the feeling that too much of the background is blocked and that I may have to widen the box and thus the opening far maybe a centimeter or two...
I'm undecided.


So that put a stop to the project and I was doodling around, playing PC games and working in the garden instead.
But the itch is there, just not for "The Guardian" - yeah, been there, done that. I know, I know.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
And when I don't know what to do, I do what I usually do
Dragons.

For a while I wanted to do a scene based on Michael Whelan's "Filed Teeth"


So I started to sculpt a dragons head.


I always enjoy working on these creatures.


So many options and ways to do a dragon.


I decided to give him a menacing frown.


At least on one side - Elvis anyone?


And to make things more fun he got some more spikes (made from GreenStuff)


And scales


Once he was fired and the rough corners brushed off, I started with the arms


I'm aiming for a similar pose as in Whelan's image


But since I won't have room for the wings I decided to add his tail


To provide a sense of size for the beast


I still have to detail the paws with GreenStuff


After he was fired I started to work on the den


And I created two columns from Stewalin


Again to emphasize his size


So here he is - BTW, no name yet...any ideas? - sneering at the intruder


Intruder?
Ah yes. I have another Hasslefree "Female Armature"
https://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop.php?product=female-armature~hfl503&category=accessories~converting


But she's way to skinny for my taste. I'd like her to be more Frazetta-esk, like in this image


So I began to bulk he up with some more GreenStuff


And this is as far as I got over the course of the last two weeks.


So what do you think?
I'm also thinking about her carrying a sword in the right hand - but what about the left? A shield, or rather a torch?
Almost naked like on the Frazetta image or in leathers?
I look forward to your suggestions and feedback.
Thank you!
Cheers
Klaus

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/13 10:49:43


-

my Blog: DEI GRECI  
   
Made in us
Executing Exarch





Alabama

Always was a fan of Frazetta prints. I really like the dragon so far he almost looks bemused at his intruder. Another artist for your consideration is Louis Royo. same vein as Frazetta but a little more tame but still. Another artist that is pretty cool is Boris Vellejo, then theres Micheal Hoffman...so theres some more artists to pick from. If memory serves they are all in the style of "chainkini" eye candy if you wanna go that route and kinda have that heavy metal feel witch I think is pretty cool speaking of heavy metal the first heavy metal movie the tarakain?
   
Made in us
Abhorrent Grotesque Aberration





Palitine Il

Personally I’d go for leathers with maybe an odd piece or two of metal plate. If you want to go more pin-up though I think ragged furs would be perfect. For the off hand it depends on the rest of it, will the scene have lighting? If there’s an existing light source (lit candelabras/chandelier/sconces/etc.) I say shield or make her torch and the dragon’s mouth/nostrils/eyes the light sources. I know that’s awfully logical compared to the inspirations but I’m also the kind of weirdo that bought an alternate sculpt of a character without a second thought because they got more clothes. Proper size and anatomy was just a bonus.


Edit: Something like the two on the right was what I was thinking for fur/pin-up style.
Spoiler:

Clickable for larger view:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/13 16:55:35


My Blog like thing: Clicky link 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka





6 foot underwater

"So I started to sculpt a dragon's head"

So you did Klaus, so you did.


I like the idea of a torch, with a piece of treasure or something non-combative in the other hand for a barely clothed look.

Leathers if she's carrying a sword, or a halberd type - maybe switching it up a bit, and having a more sci-fi weapon such as a chain-blade polearm to contrast with the expected fantasy trope of the dragon. Or a sword and a tech scanner...

cyborks & flyboyz : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/300067.page
heretical ramblings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/302773.page
imperial preachings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/303365.page
Da Waaagh-ky Races : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/325045.page
Briancj: You have the Mek Taint, MT, and the only thing we can do is watch in horror/amazement.

 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Storm Trooper with Maglight






Wonderful start on another great scene, Klaus!

I like the theme that monkeytroll is suggesting- leathers if a sword, metallic if a sci-fi polearm. But the scene also reminds me of the cover of the original Dungeons and Dragons game box back in '79, which in turn reminds me of Andre Norton's novel Quag Keep, which reminds me of the wereboar character Nialle's dragonette Afreeta.

Could your person have a dragonette on her off hand, and maybe that's why the big guy hasn't just eaten her already?

Or a bazooka- those come in handy too.



Oh, for fantasy artists, Julie Bell does a lot of Frazetta-esque work, but uses more realistic models, all body shapers and builders. So, they're heavier-built, but athletic. The shape that is coming through with your greenstuff work so far is very reminiscent of Bell's painting.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/13 22:42:39


"He fears his fate too much, or his desserts are small, who will not put it to a single touch; to win- or lose- it all."

Montrose Toast 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran







alabamaheretic wrote:Always was a fan of Frazetta prints. I really like the dragon so far he almost looks bemused at his intruder. Another artist for your consideration is Louis Royo. same vein as Frazetta but a little more tame but still. Another artist that is pretty cool is Boris Vellejo, then theres Micheal Hoffman...so theres some more artists to pick from. If memory serves they are all in the style of "chainkini" eye candy if you wanna go that route and kinda have that heavy metal feel witch I think is pretty cool speaking of heavy metal the first heavy metal movie the tarakain?

Oh yes!
As a 65er I've grown up with Frazetta, Whelan, Boris, and Chris Achilleos - they illustrated the books I devoured in my youth, creating my fantasy world and sparking my creative energy in the first place
On the Heavy Metal side I was always a Corben and Mobius fan - John Difool was my hero

ChaoticMind wrote:Personally I’d go for leathers with maybe an odd piece or two of metal plate. If you want to go more pin-up though I think ragged furs would be perfect. For the off hand it depends on the rest of it, will the scene have lighting? If there’s an existing light source (lit candelabras/chandelier/sconces/etc.) I say shield or make her torch and the dragon’s mouth/nostrils/eyes the light sources. I know that’s awfully logical compared to the inspirations but I’m also the kind of weirdo that bought an alternate sculpt of a character without a second thought because they got more clothes. Proper size and anatomy was just a bonus.


Edit: Something like the two on the right was what I was thinking for fur/pin-up style.
Spoiler:

Clickable for larger view:

Oh yes, you got the light setting right!
That's pretty much the plan

monkeytroll wrote:"So I started to sculpt a dragon's head"

So you did Klaus, so you did.


I like the idea of a torch, with a piece of treasure or something non-combative in the other hand for a barely clothed look.

Leathers if she's carrying a sword, or a halberd type - maybe switching it up a bit, and having a more sci-fi weapon such as a chain-blade polearm to contrast with the expected fantasy trope of the dragon. Or a sword and a tech scanner...

Ah!
Soooo many ideas...I was literally overwhelmed last night with all these ideas you guys threw at me

Meer_Cat wrote:Wonderful start on another great scene, Klaus!

I like the theme that monkeytroll is suggesting- leathers if a sword, metallic if a sci-fi polearm. But the scene also reminds me of the cover of the original Dungeons and Dragons game box back in '79, which in turn reminds me of Andre Norton's novel Quag Keep, which reminds me of the wereboar character Nialle's dragonette Afreeta.

Could your person have a dragonette on her off hand, and maybe that's why the big guy hasn't just eaten her already?

Or a bazooka- those come in handy too.



Oh, for fantasy artists, Julie Bell does a lot of Frazetta-esque work, but uses more realistic models, all body shapers and builders. So, they're heavier-built, but athletic. The shape that is coming through with your greenstuff work so far is very reminiscent of Bell's painting.


Thank you Meer_Cat!
Though I don't fance the newer Boris works and Julie's work is just too clean and staged for me - the original Boris' are more to my liking. Royo is also not quite my style...but that's all personal taste
As mentioned above, with being a 65er I've grown up with Frazetta, Whelan, Boris, and Chris Achilleos - they illustrated the books I devoured in my youth, creating my fantasy world and sparking my creative energy in the first place
On the Heavy Metal side I was always a Corben and Mobius fan - John Difool was my hero

So, based on all of your feedback I decided to give her some clothes


The sculpting of the clothes happened without a real plan


and she quickly got a pirate-ish look.


I actually like it and can totally see her wearing some high boots.


Right now I think I have several options with her.


I could continue the fantasy Pirate/Rouge/Thief path or head in a more Steampunk-ish direction.


As you can see in this last image I plan to have some (rays of moon) light to come through the holes in the ceiling, but additionally the dragons eyes (and maybe nostrils) will provide a glow in the dark.
The wall on the left could potentially be a painted background again providing the illusion of a longer hall with more columns occasionally lit by rays of moonlight...
So our heroine will have a torch/flashlight/lantern to provide the main OSL light source.
I love the suggestion of a "dragonette" or Fire Lizard on her arm or shoulder, which could be the reason the dragon is not immediately attacking...
But since she'll be pretty much in the position and pose as in the last image, I'm not sure how to incorporate it...
UNLESS she has her sword or rapier sheathed and carries the light in her right hand, balancing the Fire Lizard on her left forearm...

So some ideas to throw around and tinker with.
I look forward to your feedback and ideas

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2018/06/14 09:18:15


-

my Blog: DEI GRECI  
   
Made in us
Executing Exarch





Alabama

Well I discovered all those artists in my teens an early adolescence so yea they do bring some rather fond memories. searching some of the other names you listed wow I do like like very much so. yea I read all of the deathdealer series it was one of my favorites

digging the aesthetics you are going with on the lady seems to be fitting, again liking the idea of the little lizard as well. watching with interest with on the torch...on the subject of the rapier hmm too bad her arm isn't higher and tilted a bit more to be at more of a drawing type pose that would look kinda neat..
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka





6 foot underwater

An air-pirate perhaps?

Dragonette on a leash pulling towards the dragon, as though she hasn't noticed the big guy yet, and is just turning towards him now that her pet is making a fuss?


cyborks & flyboyz : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/300067.page
heretical ramblings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/302773.page
imperial preachings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/303365.page
Da Waaagh-ky Races : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/325045.page
Briancj: You have the Mek Taint, MT, and the only thing we can do is watch in horror/amazement.

 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Storm Trooper with Maglight






I like the idea of an air pirate- sort of an Angelina Jolie vibe from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Definitely could see her examining something on the wall, whilst the dragonette is pulling on the leash towards its larger cousin.


I also get a sort of gypsy feeling off the figure at this stage- not sure if that could be worked into the story....


Having fun watching events unfold!



"He fears his fate too much, or his desserts are small, who will not put it to a single touch; to win- or lose- it all."

Montrose Toast 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: