Switch Theme:

Question about "Chaos"...  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Happy Imperial Citizen



Toronto, Canada


Hi everyone,

Since Chaos seeks to turn everything to it's ends is it possible to make units in W40K "Chaos" within the rules?

For example if a Tau unit of Fire Warriors was lost into the Warp could they come out the other end with a "Khorne possessed Crisis suit"? I just don't understand enough about the rules to say what is legal and what isn't?

Does the question make sense?

Death to the Corpse-god! 
   
Made in ca
Morphing Obliterator






I know where you're coming from with this question as I was confused about what you can and cant do with this game when I started.

How you model your units is completely up to you. If you want to buy Imperial Guard (or whatever army you want) and make them look all spiky and evil, you can do it. However, they would still play under the "Imperial Guard" codex with no special chaos rules.

Whether or not Tau can be "chaosified" from a story perspective, Im not sure. I think someone was talking about it on here, and they were told many times over that it doesnt fit right with Tau's stories (something with them being immune to the warp - could be wrong though). However, story doesnt matter at all in terms of game rules, so it's just whether or not it bothers you.

The one thing you must do is represent the weapons and gear on your models. If your guy is going to have X weapon equipped, it has to be on the model. Dont worry too much about small details like grenades or knives, and in some cases standard wargear (example being chaos space marines having a chainsword, bolt pistol, bolt gun, and 2 grenades on each guy - too much clutter) but ALL weapon upgrades and special gear such as wings or jump packs should be modeled on.

I hope this helps.

Chaos Space Marines
Tyranids
Vampire Counts 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Aberystwyth, Wales, UK

In short, no.

In fluff terms the tau's ENTIRE race shows up less than a single human does in the warp, resulting in no chaos corruptability.
In game terms there are no rules for any "chaos" armies other than Daemons and CSM, although you could do a "counts-as" army where you have chaos corrupted units that count as other units in one of the two chaos codices.

I hope i was clear enough, if you are still unsure about it feel free to PM me.
   
Made in us
Slaanesh Chosen Marine Riding a Fiend






The sink.

Unfortunately the only chaos races we get to see are Chaos Marines, Demons, and Chaos Humans (Lost and the Damned). There probably are chaos eldar and orks, but they are pretty rare. And in the planetstrike book there is a bit about a tyranid hive fleet that drifted too close to the Eye of Terror and mutated. The defenders initially thought it was a chaos invasion instead of Nids.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Aberystwyth, Wales, UK

Noisy_Marine wrote:Unfortunately the only chaos races we get to see are Chaos Marines, Demons, and Chaos Humans (Lost and the Damned). There probably are chaos eldar and orks, but they are pretty rare. And in the planetstrike book there is a bit about a tyranid hive fleet that drifted too close to the Eye of Terror and mutated. The defenders initially thought it was a chaos invasion instead of Nids.


LatD have been discontinued haven't they?
Chaos eldar are basically dark eldar but with Tzeentch and Nurgle as well as just Slaanesh and Khorne (khaine?) and chaos orks are mentioned quite a bit; Khorne stormboys even had their own models at some point and nurgle orks were in the Daemonhunters enemies section of the old site, however the Chaos nids are a new one outside of Kid_Kyoto's Warhammer 50K (Nightmares FTW!)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2009/07/03 09:39:22


 
   
Made in us
Slaanesh Chosen Marine Riding a Fiend






The sink.

LatD got discontinued despite the fact that the majority of chaos armies are made up of traitor humans. *shrug* I guess humans are easier to corrupt than the other races.
   
Made in us
Oozing Plague Marine Terminator







Well, you CAN play Traitor Guard/LatD from the Guard Dex. Penal Legions FTW.

   
Made in us
The Hammer of Witches





A new day, a new time zone.

Night Lords wrote:Whether or not Tau can be "chaosified" from a story perspective, Im not sure. I think someone was talking about it on here, and they were told many times over that it doesnt fit right with Tau's stories (something with them being immune to the warp - could be wrong though).

It's not that they're immune, but they have essentially no psychic capability, and very little warp presence. It's like the mind of a tau is candle, a human's is a torch, and a human pskyer's is a raging bonfire, so from the daemonic perspective, there are so many more bigger, more interesting things to draw your attention. Of course, that's on the Material side of things, where daemons need a pretty high concentration of psyker or warp power just to manifest. If a bunch of tau got stuck in the warp, they'd be completely defenseless against whatever comes along and decides that they'd be fun to play with.

"-Nonsense, the Inquisitor and his retinue are our hounoured guests, of course we should invite them to celebrate Four-armed Emperor-day with us..."
Thought for the Day - Never use the powerfist hand to wipe. 
   
Made in us
Drop Trooper with Demo Charge





corpsesarefun wrote:
Noisy_Marine wrote:Unfortunately the only chaos races we get to see are Chaos Marines, Demons, and Chaos Humans (Lost and the Damned). There probably are chaos eldar and orks, but they are pretty rare. And in the planetstrike book there is a bit about a tyranid hive fleet that drifted too close to the Eye of Terror and mutated. The defenders initially thought it was a chaos invasion instead of Nids.


LatD have been discontinued haven't they?
Chaos eldar are basically dark eldar but with Tzeentch and Nurgle as well as just Slaanesh and Khorne (khaine?) and chaos orks are mentioned quite a bit; Khorne stormboys even had their own models at some point and nurgle orks were in the Daemonhunters enemies section of the old site, however the Chaos nids are a new one outside of Kid_Kyoto's Warhammer 50K (Nightmares FTW!)


There's still an Apoc Datasheet for LatD, so at least they haven't been totally squatted.

Today I didn't even have to use my hot-shot las; I gotta say it was a good day. 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine





From what I could tell most of the stuff in the new Guard Codex can be "Chaosified" with a new name. The only thing you can't really do is have an actually Chaos Lord for an HQ. Like the one guy said, Penal Legions work great. Plus, there's also Conscript Platoons you can use as Cultists. From what I remember, they have the same stats and unit count as the old Cultists did. I think you could equip your Cultists with Pistol/Close Combat though.


As for Chaos Tau... what the hell, model'em! Probably neat to see. Personally, I think Tzeentch Tau would be cool looking. A Battlesuit with those two big ear wing thingers kitted out in blue and yellow.


Then again... Khorne Kroot....



 
   
Made in ca
Happy Imperial Citizen



Toronto, Canada


Thanks for the great answers!

So from a modeling perspective I could potentially model stand-ins for a CSM army using other figs. I assume it would just have to be agreed upon at the beginning of play what the stand-ins were.

From a fluff perspective I just love the idea of a Nurgle infested Kroot squad or a Crisis Suit all welded up and "possessed".

A little Warp ould really dirty up the Tau in my mind and make them more fun. They remind me of Star Fleet - too clean and hyper-competent. They need some "ugly" so I can stop thinking about Macross everytime I see them and think GW is just making a money grab for the manga-lovin' player base...

Everyone paints the Tau so "cleanly" its like they just came off the assembly line. I would like to see "blood smeared orc hand prints" and cracks, and leaking fluids like they actually get into the fighting...

Thanks again for the answers

Death to the Corpse-god! 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






Arlington, Texas

Tau suits would make really cool winged Daemon Princes...

Worship me. 
   
Made in us
Bounding Dark Angels Assault Marine




Terra

Kick,

just make sure if you use the chaos codex while using your tau your conversion or alt figures are consistent.

Battle suits are Termies .. Khorn kroot are Bezerkers.. ect...

Oponents will get very confused if you say .this suit is such and this suit is such and this...ect.ect...
   
Made in es
Been Around the Block



BCN

You're a meme, no?
   
Made in au
Angry Chaos Agitator




Somewhere on Terra

are de normal eldar worshipping slaanesh??? *everything goes quiet*

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2009/07/04 03:39:03




...nothing else matters...


 
   
Made in us
Slaanesh Chosen Marine Riding a Fiend






The sink.

the_emperors_renegade wrote:are de normal eldar worshipping slaanesh??? *everything goes quiet*


The way I understand it, DE offer souls to placate Slaanesh. They don't actually worship her. Unless you count the Slaaneshi DE in the first soul drinkers book.
   
Made in au
Angry Chaos Agitator




Somewhere on Terra

ah alright...



...nothing else matters...


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: