Switch Theme:

Ultramar Planetary Defence Force WIP  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Chosen Baal Sec Youngblood






Hi all!

I'm starting an Ultramar PDF Army . I sold my old Dark Angels and what with the recent release of some brilliant new SM and IG kits - its time to mix the two just for fun!

I thought: How cool would it to be to have a Valkyrie, Baneblade, Landraider, Vindicator etc all in one army! Lets face it, its an apocalypse army and it is only for fun!

First up are pictures of my Valkyrie that I've just today finished. I'm adding a Baneblade next, along with some attached Ultramarines after that. If anyone has any cool suggestions about how I can model stuff, or what to do next, I'm all ears!

The Baneblade is going to be 'Pride of Hera', as detailed in the Apocalypse Rulebook.

What do you think? Has anyone done anything similar?
[Thumb - DSC00965.JPG]

[Thumb - DSC00967.JPG]

[Thumb - DSC00966.JPG]

[Thumb - DSC00971.JPG]

[Thumb - DSC00968.JPG]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2009/12/06 19:35:24


Check out my blog:

http://rivertrollsminiaturehobbyblog.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=6
 
   
Made in us
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Chicago, Illinois

Always wanted to see these guys.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Hampton Roads, VA

The valk looks great, can't wait to see the rest of the force.

"Hi, I'am Cthulu. I tried to call, but I kept getting your stupid answering machine."
Love's Eldritch Ichor

Blood is best stirred before battle, and nothing does that better than the bagpipes.

 
   
Made in gb
Brainy Zoanthrope






UK

Awesome

_ ▲ _
*ENCLAVE* Approves of the above post.
terribletrygon wrote:Almost no one has been killed over video/war games. Except for MMORPGs, but that's just natural selection.

 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






guardsmen with purity seals!
   
Made in ca
Long-Range Ultramarine Land Speeder Pilot





Portsmouth, UK

Very cool indeed, I am thinking of doing something similar when I finish my Ultramarines and start on IG.

Stubby

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





this is a great idea, ive always wanted to mix ig and sm kits


Current Projects: Pre-Heresy Dreadnaught / Blood Ravens Honor guard / Rhino / scratch built drop pod /  
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




You know, I never thought to simply mix Marines and IG in Apocalypse. I think I might just buy a few Valks just to shove some of my Raven Guard into for Apocalypse battles.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







That Valkyrie is looking really nice, Rivertroll.

Which IG infantry are you planning to use, out of interest? I recall seeing a Ultramar PDF force in UK WD that used the Valhallan Ice Warriors for its troopers, and that looked pretty cool.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






Purging on ctf_2fort

This looks like the beginings of something truly awesome. Good luck with the Baneblade!

Remember, though, that tanks and fancy stuff is useless without that one crucial mainstay: The blood infantry. However, I'd expect them to be quite pampered soldiers if they're from Ultramar...

By the way, does Ultramar have to be a cold planet? I always thought that it's quite a richly diverse environment... Unless, of course, these guys are going to be fluff tyranic war PDF dudes. Oh, the suspense!

   
Made in gb
Neophyte undergoing Ritual of Detestation





Sunderland. UK

From what i ve read i imagined ultrama to be quite a humid planet apart from the polar regions. Also the PDF is ment to be incredably well equiped and trained, may be some Cadian models with tooled up gear and they'd look really smart and pampered to. Well that my opinion anywhoo

"What's so hard about pulling a sword out of a stone? The real work's already been done. You ought to make yourself useful and find the man who put the sword in the stone in the first place"
2000pts
1500pts 
   
Made in us
Nurgle Veteran Marine with the Flu





Las Vegas

I think that you should get some infantry, and that the Company command squad is lead by a Space marine Scout or some form of initiate that isn't quite a space marine.

If I had a dollar for every dollar I spent I'd have all my money back.
[url=http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Badab/index/]
[/url]
 
   
Made in gb
Chosen Baal Sec Youngblood






Hi all - thanks so much for the replies!

Brotheralexos wrote:I think that you should get some infantry, and that the Company command squad is lead by a Space marine Scout or some form of initiate that isn't quite a space marine.
- This is a genius idea! I'm going to scour the SM range for the right model!

Forlorne wrote:From what i ve read i imagined ultrama to be quite a humid planet apart from the polar regions. Also the PDF is ment to be incredably well equiped and trained, may be some Cadian models with tooled up gear and they'd look really smart and pampered to. Well that my opinion anywhoo
- I think they're either going to be converted Cadians (perhaps mixing SM Scouts with Cadians?), as you suggest, or Kasrkin. Ever since I saw someone who had done a brilliant job of making these chaps look like Star Wars Storm Troopers, I've always wanted to paint some!

Cosmic wrote: This looks like the beginings of something truly awesome. Good luck with the Baneblade!

Remember, though, that tanks and fancy stuff is useless without that one crucial mainstay: The blood infantry. However, I'd expect them to be quite pampered soldiers if they're from Ultramar...

By the way, does Ultramar have to be a cold planet? I always thought that it's quite a richly diverse environment... Unless, of course, these guys are going to be fluff tyranic war PDF dudes. Oh, the suspense!
On the snow - I agree; I wasn't sure about it to be honest, I may flock over the top of it and add some vegetation instead.

Dysartes wrote:That Valkyrie is looking really nice, Rivertroll.

Which IG infantry are you planning to use, out of interest? I recall seeing a Ultramar PDF force in UK WD that used the Valhallan Ice Warriors for its troopers, and that looked pretty cool.
- I need to find this article!! Valhallan Ice warriors are cool and they'd certainly present a strong archetype. I'm more inclined to go with Forlorne and go for a 'techy' apperance. The Colour scheme of the Valhallan Leman Russ on p.85 of the IG codex is quite inspiring though! Thanks for the steer!

Check out my blog:

http://rivertrollsminiaturehobbyblog.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=6
 
   
Made in gb
Boom! Leman Russ Commander






That valk looks ace ! Well done rivertroll

Looking forward to seeing the infantry, don't leave it too long now

   
Made in us
RogueSangre






You're off to a good start here. Mixing my two favorite armies. Love the Valk.

If you're going for the pampered, techy look, might I suggest FW Elysians? They're pricey, but seem to be perfect for the look you're going for.

   
Made in gb
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller







I really like the Valk and I really like the idea. I've heard a lot about Ultramar PDF but never seen it done. I would just mix cadian and scout parts.

On-Dakka Deathwatch Blog

DA:90S-GM--B++I+Pw40k#--D++A++/eWD305R++T(M)DM+

[TYRANIDS] - Recycle, the posibilities are endless.


 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka



Chicago, Illinois

Yeah I have not found much fluff on the Ultramar defense force either it wa alwys a idea of mine to make one this stuff looks great

If I lose it is because I had bad luck, if you win it is because you cheated. 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





OKC, OK USA

Like the Valk.

Reminds me of Mauleed's Ultramar PDF.

You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







RiverTroll wrote:
Dysartes wrote:That Valkyrie is looking really nice, Rivertroll.

Which IG infantry are you planning to use, out of interest? I recall seeing a Ultramar PDF force in UK WD that used the Valhallan Ice Warriors for its troopers, and that looked pretty cool.
- I need to find this article!! Valhallan Ice warriors are cool and they'd certainly present a strong archetype. I'm more inclined to go with Forlorne and go for a 'techy' apperance. The Colour scheme of the Valhallan Leman Russ on p.85 of the IG codex is quite inspiring though! Thanks for the steer!

I've just had a quick jaunt around the interweb, rivertroll - UKWD 231 had the battle report featuring the army, and I think theyre may have been an article in the preceding issue as well, though I can't be sure.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: