Switch Theme:

Newer Players and Maelstrom of War Missions  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Cosmic Joe





 Gunzhard wrote:
 StarTrotter wrote:
Tried them out. Brilliant idea, terrible execution. The best way to play them is modified. Step one, all the d3 victory points have to become either 2 or 3 VP. Step 2, you need to find a way to play a mobile army. A slow and durable force is going to struggle excessively (so don't play an army like CSM or a slow walking tyranid force that moves 6" per turn naturally). Step 3, organize it so that all of the objectives are possible to be accomplished.

As per myself on them, we still won't be using them. We like campaigns and fluffy battles but it is simply ridiculous. We don't want to forge the narrative simply because it makes no sense. Charge this way! No wait now shoot that plain no kill a psyker (sir there isn't one) alright then *next turn* charge that objective wait charge that other objective. It's a hectic battle that doesn't fit any type of war and, no matter what you do, will still make games go on tilt.


I love the d3 mod idea... these missions are a game within the game. You have to think about where you deploy your objectives for your type of army. With my nids or assaulty BA I put them all nearest the middle of the board. But a non-mobile gunline still has the advantage in the game overall... even if they cannot quickly jump to grab certain objectives, they can capitalize on their opponent spreading units to do just that. I find these missions really make for dynamic games that isn't just decided by your list.

And since when do Tyranids move only 6" per turn (fleet, move through cover, bounding leap etc)?

And since when is war about a single long term objective? ...in war the objectives and orders change constantly.

Not wars, battles are about single objectives. I've been in a few. It's usually "take that farm." Destroy that weapons cache." And not "Get into a fist fight, no, now go over to this random spot on the ground! Okay, now go shoot down a plane. What? No planes? Okay, blow up a tank." I would have fragged my officer if he acted like that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/06/13 16:17:57




Also, check out my history blog: Minimum Wage Historian, a fun place to check out history that often falls between the couch cushions. 
   
Made in us
Rampaging Furioso Blood Angel Dreadnought





Boston, MA

Hmm semantics now... also in 40K you are not just following one unit throughout the game, it's an entire army we are representing. Still there are plenty of narrative reasons you could grab certain objectives at certain times, given that we are playing a game of futuristic warfare I don't think it's much of a stretch to the imagination.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/06/13 16:25:34


Please check out my photo blog: http://atticwars40k.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in us
Tzeentch Aspiring Sorcerer Riding a Disc




The darkness between the stars

 Gunzhard wrote:
 StarTrotter wrote:
Tried them out. Brilliant idea, terrible execution. The best way to play them is modified. Step one, all the d3 victory points have to become either 2 or 3 VP. Step 2, you need to find a way to play a mobile army. A slow and durable force is going to struggle excessively (so don't play an army like CSM or a slow walking tyranid force that moves 6" per turn naturally). Step 3, organize it so that all of the objectives are possible to be accomplished.

As per myself on them, we still won't be using them. We like campaigns and fluffy battles but it is simply ridiculous. We don't want to forge the narrative simply because it makes no sense. Charge this way! No wait now shoot that plain no kill a psyker (sir there isn't one) alright then *next turn* charge that objective wait charge that other objective. It's a hectic battle that doesn't fit any type of war and, no matter what you do, will still make games go on tilt.


I love the d3 mod idea... these missions are a game within the game. You have to think about where you deploy your objectives for your type of army. With my nids or assaulty BA I put them all nearest the middle of the board. But a non-mobile gunline still has the advantage in the game overall... even if they cannot quickly jump to grab certain objectives, they can capitalize on their opponent spreading units to do just that. I find these missions really make for dynamic games that isn't just decided by your list.

And since when do Tyranids move only 6" per turn (fleet, move through cover, bounding leap etc)?

And since when is war about a single long term objective? ...in war the objectives and orders change constantly.


Actually battles are often a single objective that is focused upon. The fog of war is what happens at the immediate situation. For example. Storm that building! Everybody charges at it. Oh no that plane is scary we need to destroy it whilst getting to it! Alright men on no the psyker! Kill it! Alright men we made it now we most hold this building until our forces can arrive! Keep in mind a 40k battle is only a small few minutes in reality not hours of combat.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Gunzhard wrote:
Hmm semantics now... also in 40K you are not just following one unit throughout the game, it's an entire army we are representing. Still there are plenty of narrative reasons you could grab certain objectives at certain times, given that we are playing a game of futuristic warfare I don't think it's much of a stretch to the imagination.


Not really. It still gets ridiculous when your units are charging to multiple objectives at the spir of the hat and then you get "declare a challenge". There's really not much of an explanation to that. I guess your commander is a crazy glory hound? Ummm okay then? And the d3 is a flaw because its just absolutely random. Two people can do the same thing and one can roll a 1 and another a 3. Add to that the requirements for d3 is higher yet you still can get the same points as the lesser version.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/06/13 16:35:29


2375
/ 1690
WIP (1875)
1300
760
WIP (350)
WIP (150) 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Jacksonville, FL

 PrinceRaven wrote:
Maelstrom of War missions are great if you prefer games where the outcome is determined by chance instead of tactical skill or strategy.


"Miniatures games with dice are great if you prefer games where the outcome is determined by chance instead of tactical skill or strategy."

Same thing you're saying, really. The dice add chance. Bad dice luck will ruin your day (I've had that happen, ow).

I played a Maelstrom game where I didn't have the best luck, but I focused my fire to clear my opponent's ability to hold objectives, maneuvered my army, and kept doing everything I could... and I pulled out a victory. So yeah, tactical skill and strategy can still be a big part of it.

Or you can just claim it's all bad luck and you're really the best player in the world if not for those dice and/or cards.

Realms of Inisfail
http://www.realmsofinisfail.com 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran





 ErikSetzer wrote:

Or you can just claim it's all bad luck and you're really the best player in the world if not for those dice and/or cards.


Lol I love it. Exalted!

"The objective of the game is to win. The purpose of the game is to have fun. The two should not be confused."



 ErikSetzer wrote:

Or you can just claim it's all bad luck and you're really the best player in the world if not for those dice and/or cards.
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: