Switch Theme:

GW studio mishaps  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 Howard A Treesong wrote:


When they used to do the big game day displays like the Battle of Big Toof, they asked store staff around the country paint and sent stuff to HQ to make up the numbers. These were all on display in Nottingham for a number of year until broken up. I heard (obviously cannot confirm) that staff were told they couldn’t take freebies from them - everything was destroyed.


I recall a tale of someone saying they saw the remains of the Siege of the Emperor's Palace (namely, the palace walls themselves; which were made from a fireplace) in a skip one day when they were renovating the museum.

On a related note, now I'm not sure of the veracity of this as I was told this by Andy Foster (of Heresy minis and Warhammer World manager at the time) and he could have just been spinning a good yarn here; but on the museum tour we get the to the Ultramarines chapter display and we were told, supposedly; that none of the stores were specifically told what company they would be painting so all just assumed "Well, we're going to do the 1st company veterans! Because our store is the best!" and when the models started filtering in for said display, some of the shoulderpads and helmets had to be hastily repainted.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/06/21 08:11:18




A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in gb
Elite Tyranid Warrior





London

 Grimtuff wrote:
On a related note, now I'm not sure of the veracity of this as I was told this by Andy Foster (of Heresy minis and Warhammer World manager at the time) and he could have just been spinning a good yarn here; but on the museum tour we get the to the Ultramarines chapter display and we were told, supposedly; that none of the stores were specifically told what company they would be painting so all just assumed "Well, we're going to do the 1st company veterans! Because our store is the best!" and when the models started filtering in for said display, some of the shoulderpads and helmets had to be hastily repainted.


Nah, that's not true. I painted that squad for my store and there were definitely specific instructions on which squad it was.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/06/28 14:00:21


 
   
Made in us
Dangerous Outrider






Spoiler:


I believe I found a mistake.
the bearded heads shown for the chaos marauders are actually empire heads and don't come on the sprue.

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 Genoside07 wrote:
the bearded heads shown for the chaos marauders are actually empire heads and don't come on the sprue.


Pfffft, the Helstorm has a rando metal fig because good enuff, M8!

DA70+S++G++M(GD)B+++I++++Pw40k96-D+++A++/mWD218R+++T(M)DM++ 
   
Made in ca
Battle-tested Knight Castellan Pilot





Vancouver BC Canada

 Howard A Treesong wrote:
I remember an issue where someone ran a tyranid army and wanted two Lictors/Hive tyrant and only found one in the collection. But then the second appeared after the game hidden behind others in the cupboard.

Not having access to enough studio figures Meant people used their own armies in older issues of WD, I’m thinking 4/5th Ed fantasy and 2nd 40K, so from around #180-230 or thereabouts, when I was buying regularly.

If you look at some photos of regiments now the same figures are duplicated in the ranks, meaning the studio didn’t paint a whole box for the box art and they used a bit of copy and paste to fill out the picture. Whether they have enough for the battle reports...

When they used to do the big game day displays like the Battle of Big Toof, they asked store staff around the country paint and sent stuff to HQ to make up the numbers. These were all on display in Nottingham for a number of year until broken up. I heard (obviously cannot confirm) that staff were told they couldn’t take freebies from them - everything was destroyed.


I heard that when they binned Big toof river, they binned a ton of other 'old gw' stuff and the staff had a field day makes excuses to leave the office so they could check the skip... I LOVED BTR and Glazers last stand, wish they kept those le sigh.

CATS- How are you gentlemen?
CATS- All your base are belong to us.
CATS- You are on the way to destruction.
Captain -What you say?
CATS- You have no chance to survive make your time.
CATS HA HA HA!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hi%20Welcome



 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



South Africa

 FabricatorGeneralMike wrote:


I heard that when they binned Big toof river, they binned a ton of other 'old gw' stuff and the staff had a field day makes excuses to leave the office so they could check the skip... I LOVED BTR and Glazers last stand, wish they kept those le sigh.


I would have legit kneecapped my fellow workers to get first dibs on the Praetorians from BTR. Damn.

KBK 
   
Made in fi
Junior Officer with Laspistol







 Grimtuff wrote:

This Valkyrie image always cracks me up. Look at the rear central tail.

More to the point, I don't think that's a GW plastic Valkyrie. I'm pretty sure that's one of the original Forge World resin ones. There are certain small details that don't match, like that round detain on the inside of the tail boom.

"Was wir nicht hassen, das lieben wir nicht." 
   
Made in gb
Wrathful Warlord Titan Commander






London



Look at the huge gap above the Heavy Bolters!



Poor guy's arms fallen off during a shoot and they can't even be bothered to replace it. He even looks upset!
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block





Phoenix, AZ

 Valkyrie wrote:




Poor guy's arms fallen off during a shoot and they can't even be bothered to replace it. He even looks upset!


Its hard to imagine that nobody noticed that during the shoot.

At least it makes us laugh.

 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Corrode wrote:
The mold for the Terrax Assault Drill is 3D printed. You can tell, because they didn't do anything about the 3D print lines, and those are now cast into every model they make. The photo on the store page has that bit weathered to hide it...


Perhaps that's how the Imperium builds them! Maybe STC is just a corruption of STL!


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Grimtuff wrote:
 Howard A Treesong wrote:


When they used to do the big game day displays like the Battle of Big Toof, they asked store staff around the country paint and sent stuff to HQ to make up the numbers. These were all on display in Nottingham for a number of year until broken up. I heard (obviously cannot confirm) that staff were told they couldn’t take freebies from them - everything was destroyed.


I recall a tale of someone saying they saw the remains of the Siege of the Emperor's Palace (namely, the palace walls themselves; which were made from a fireplace) in a skip one day when they were renovating the museum.

On a related note, now I'm not sure of the veracity of this as I was told this by Andy Foster (of Heresy minis and Warhammer World manager at the time) and he could have just been spinning a good yarn here; but on the museum tour we get the to the Ultramarines chapter display and we were told, supposedly; that none of the stores were specifically told what company they would be painting so all just assumed "Well, we're going to do the 1st company veterans! Because our store is the best!" and when the models started filtering in for said display, some of the shoulderpads and helmets had to be hastily repainted.


I thought I heard that Emperor's Palace and Big Tuff River were both damaged traveling to a Games Day (remember when there were Games Days all over the world? Remember going places an doing things? ) but it's possible that's why they were binned.

I'd love to see updates. I saw the Ultramarine siege display they have up now and it's incredible. A renewed BTR would be fantastic.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/07/13 13:00:32


 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

Not really a mishap (was definitely intentional!), but one of the old Dwarf Trollslayers (I forget which, but he was a character) was completely naked. This was fine from the front, as he had a great long beard to cover his modesty. Turn the model around however and look between his legs, and you would see what was unmistakably a small pair of dwarven testicles..

Another one - the original and much maligned Nagash: Comedy lord of the Undead sculpt. Apparently the sculptor (I forget who made it) had designed him with a cowl, to look sinister/ring wraith-like. However the studio didn't like it, and asked him to make a skeletal head so it fit in with the rest of the range. The sculptor deliberately made what he thought was a ridiculous oversize skeletal head sculpt, thinking the studio would come round to his point of view and agree the cowled head would look better. But, the new version was approved and put into production(!)

Finally, a quick one about Ian Watson's seminal Space Marine novel. Apparently the famous/infamous 'buttock branding' sequence didn't go down too well with the Studio. They initially asked for it to be removed, but then someone obviously missed the edit and it made it into final print.

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Pacific wrote:



Finally, a quick one about Ian Watson's seminal Space Marine novel. Apparently the famous/infamous 'buttock branding' sequence didn't go down too well with the Studio. They initially asked for it to be removed, but then someone obviously missed the edit and it made it into final print.


Yet no trouble with the ejaculating bolters?

There's images a lot worse than a butt branding in Ian Watson's book. Including Slaaneshi cultists with body parts that bifurcate and trifurcate...

 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

Lol yes indeed, I agree completely.

Although apparently the buttocks were where the problem lay!

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot




UK

Kayback wrote:
 FabricatorGeneralMike wrote:


I heard that when they binned Big toof river, they binned a ton of other 'old gw' stuff and the staff had a field day makes excuses to leave the office so they could check the skip... I LOVED BTR and Glazers last stand, wish they kept those le sigh.


I would have legit kneecapped my fellow workers to get first dibs on the Praetorians from BTR. Damn.


It would have been a short fight. If I recall correctly, the Praetorians played a very small part in the diorama. By far the largest proportion were Tallarns. I think the other new models made for the display that saw release were the Tallarn casualties and Rough Riders which were adapted from the Atillans similar to the Praetorians being head swapped Mordians.


It was a fab display though.

   
Made in it
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 Pacific wrote:
Not really a mishap (was definitely intentional!), but one of the old Dwarf Trollslayers (I forget which, but he was a character) was completely naked. This was fine from the front, as he had a great long beard to cover his modesty. Turn the model around however and look between his legs, and you would see what was unmistakably a small pair of dwarven testicles..


That would be Garagrim Ironfist.

Spoiler:


Spoilered as you can totally see his two veg in the top right pic.



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade




Its hard to imagine that nobody noticed that during the shoot.

At least it makes us laugh.


It's especially funny because the model happens to already be looking at it. Kind of makes me wonder if the team doing the shoot actually DID notice it but kind of "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" "missed it".


Edit: I just googled ablutions and apparently it does not including dropping a duece. I should have looked it up early sorry for any confusion. - Baldsmug

Psiensis on the "good old days":
"Kids these days...
... I invented the 6th Ed meta back in 3rd ed.
Wait, what were we talking about again? Did I ever tell you about the time I gave you five bees for a quarter? That's what you'd say in those days, "give me five bees for a quarter", is what you'd say in those days. And you'd go down to the D&D shop, with an onion in your belt, 'cause that was the style of the time. So there I was in the D&D shop..." 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Grimtuff wrote:

That would be Garagrim Ironfist.

Spoiler:


Spoilered as you can totally see his two veg in the top right pic.


MY EYES! MY VIRGIN EYES!

For the love of mercy my friends DO NOT CLICK on the spoilers!

IIRC a multiple Gold Demon winner did something similar with a Blood Thirster and got banned for his efforts.

I also remember a woman from New Jersey who did that with another Greater Daemon to create the 'Keeper of No Secrets At All'.

She also had a cool Eldar army covered in Tolkien's Elvish script.

 
   
Made in gb
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






Victor Hardy’s Bloodthirster IIRC. EDIT- This one? Dare you click on the "little extras" link?

Friends of mine got a telling off at a Warhammer World doubles tourney as their Eldar force had a bit of a rude name (The Serpents of Trau’sar) that the organisers didn’t notice until they placed 3rd and had to say the army name over the microphone.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/07/16 12:23:17




A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in at
Rough Rider with Boomstick





 Grimtuff wrote:

Friends of mine got a telling off at a Warhammer World doubles tourney as their Eldar force had a bit of a rude name (The Serpents of Trau’sar) that the organisers didn’t notice until they placed 3rd and had to say the army name over the microphone.

I laughed out loud at that, good job.
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: