Switch Theme:

The Worst Miniatures of Recent Times  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in it
Stormin' Stompa




Italy

Anything primaris and Deathguard. No, I actually like the Judiciar, but that's it.

Orks 7000
Space Wolves 4000
 
   
Made in ie
[DCM]
Hoary Long Fang with Lascannon





Dublin

I must give a special mention to the Jack-In-The-Box of the 41st Millenium -the Blood Angels Sanguinar. BA artificier armour is glorious and the Sanguinary Guard are favourites of mine. But the pose of this guy is so woeful it ruins what would otherwise be a great mini. I'm not sure the excess of toilet roll trailing from him helps either, but that is a minor complaint.
[Thumb - sang.JPG]


I let the dogs out 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Also, do we count minis that are awful on purpose to appeal to Oldhammer players? For example, the new Victoria Minis Ogryns are just cringingly, embarrassingly bad, but by design because it hits some customers(‘ wallets) right in the nostalgia button.


Not to your taste =/= awful - and, in the case of those Ogryns, they're well-sculpted even if they're done in a Rogue Trader style.

2019 Plog - Dysartes Twitches - 2019 Output

My Twitch stream - going live at 7pm GMT Tuesday & Thursday, 12pm Sunday (work permitting).

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.
 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 Dysartes wrote:
 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Also, do we count minis that are awful on purpose to appeal to Oldhammer players? For example, the new Victoria Minis Ogryns are just cringingly, embarrassingly bad, but by design because it hits some customers(‘ wallets) right in the nostalgia button.


Not to your taste =/= awful - and, in the case of those Ogryns, they're well-sculpted even if they're done in a Rogue Trader style.


Just looked them up, agreed. Much better than GW's current Wilford Brimley offerings.



Diabeetus!



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Steady Space Marine Vet Sergeant




San Jose, CA

for me the Judiciar just doesnt look like anyone but Templars and I dont necessarily care for their "knight" style. Just not what I'm looking for in a space marine.

And the paintjob on Ortruum 8-8 does not do it any service. next time I do a Necromunda FW order he'll be looking better.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Imperial Guard Landspeeder Pilot




On moon miranda.

 Grimtuff wrote:
 Dysartes wrote:
 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Also, do we count minis that are awful on purpose to appeal to Oldhammer players? For example, the new Victoria Minis Ogryns are just cringingly, embarrassingly bad, but by design because it hits some customers(‘ wallets) right in the nostalgia button.


Not to your taste =/= awful - and, in the case of those Ogryns, they're well-sculpted even if they're done in a Rogue Trader style.


Just looked them up, agreed. Much better than GW's current Wilford Brimley offerings.
Spoiler:



Diabeetus!


Awkward...

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

New Heavy Gear Log! Also...Grey Knights!
The correct pronunciation is Imperial Guard and Stormtroopers, "Astra Militarum" and "Tempestus Scions" are something you'll find at Hogwarts.  
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle









That's weird. Didn't know!



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in gb
Esteemed Veteran Space Marine




UK

Overread wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
the necromunda floating fat blob thing. cant remember the name, but it looks like someone threw a blob of green stuff at a bits box.


For some reason Forgeworld has wound up with a few (one?) people doing the painting who are not as skilled as the rest of the general display model team. That or their style is markedly different.

For whatever the reason that model and a few others really stand out as having a lower grade of painting quality which directly impacts their potential appeal as a model.




Personally I dislike to nominate models as "worst sculpt" unless its something I've actually held in my hands and seen as a model with my own eyes. As oppose to purely going to by photographs. The problem is photos lie - they can hide subtle elements just by the angle of the shot; a bit of perspective distortion can skew relative scales of parts; a bad paint job might hide otherwise solid detailing; a very good paint job can make a rather bland model appear far more detailed etc.... Seeing the model in reality can change your impression quite markedly even if its not a model you own yourself.




Wholeheartedly agree about seeing models in the flesh, I always really hated the Tau range until I saw them in person, they looked so much cooler face to face. And FW definitely has a different aesthetic to their display models, it’s changed since the start of the HH series when everything was done in a realistic grungey style. Personally don’t think they’ve changed for the better either.

 
   
Made in gb
Buttons Should Be Brass, Not Gold!






Norn Iron

BobtheInquisitor wrote:How recent is recent? Do the original plastic Basilians count? Those were just hilariously bad, and the story behind their creation would have made for a great sitcom episode.


Oh! Oh! If early Mantic counts as 'recent', this thread could double from it's current size. But for me, I'll point out the drakons.



These were designed by someone who's heard of animals but wasn't sure if they should believe the stories. They're the worst dragon miniatures I've seen, and I've seen most of Trish Carden's productions. They look like a bunch of elves decided to build some cardboard dragons, Monty Python style, with a filth-gathering peasant's crude recollection of some heraldry he saw once as the blueprint. There are no subtle elements hidden by the angle of the shot, or perspective fixes, or very good paint jobs that can help these. They're just dire.

Grimtuff wrote:Just looked them up, agreed. Much better than GW's current Wilford Brimley offerings.


The plasticene Rankin-Bass face on that ogryn goes a long way to excuse any retro styling that Victoria Miniatures decides on.

Also, heck of a timing thing on that Wilfrid Brimley ref.

   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

I always felt like a lot of those early designs like the Drakons were them trying to emulate the old style art for many of those creatures - like those dragons. Only its now 2020 and not 1940. I appreciate the nod, but still dislike the designs as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/08/02 21:11:03


   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






Ohh yeah those dragons are terrible..

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Imperial Guard Landspeeder Pilot




On moon miranda.

 Grimtuff wrote:


That's weird. Didn't know!
I literally only saw it a few minutes before your post too

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

New Heavy Gear Log! Also...Grey Knights!
The correct pronunciation is Imperial Guard and Stormtroopers, "Astra Militarum" and "Tempestus Scions" are something you'll find at Hogwarts.  
   
Made in ie
Furious Raptor




Ireland

 jdouglas wrote:
Definitely the Wulfen. They look more look like refugees from Necromundia (at least in the way GW paints them).
I liked the old range better. They looked more "wolfy".


Gotta agree with this, everything about them feels off. They should never have been given weapon options either, it just feels weird. The legs look stupid, the fact that they can use some kind of backpack grenade launcher is stupid, the idea that they should be able to use a hammer and shield is stupid.. I could go on.

They really messed up badly with that box, the originals with their scavenged armour looked much better (instead of what seems to be the 40K equivalent of "jungle" power armour. The original looked like they used to be soace marines too, but these guys? More like wolf chaos spawn.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




The new Ephrael Stern mini I really do not like - the face is not good, the cloak and all blowing straight vertical etc. For some reason even the odd little crumbling brick wall with cables she is touching-down on just doesn't work for me.

Maybe its just me on that one - I do like the rest of the new plastic sisters stuff, some of it I like a ton...
   
Made in us
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps




 jdouglas wrote:
Definitely the Wulfen. They look more look like refugees from Necromundia (at least in the way GW paints them).
I liked the old range better. They looked more "wolfy".

Many will disagree with this one, but This is purely a personal assessment. I liked the older Dark Eldar Incubi better. They had distinctive helmets and pole-arms.
The new Incubi range look too much like Chaos bloodletters.



I get not liking them.

But I'm staring at the unit photo sideways trying to work out the bloodletter connection. Full armor versus naked, completely different sword style, back prows on the incubi, tongues on the bloodletters...
They both have horns, but even those are a different style.
The metal bloodletters with axes had more similar horns and had loincloths, but even then, I don't see it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/08/03 03:43:46


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



NE Ohio, USA

 Vermis wrote:
BobtheInquisitor wrote:How recent is recent? Do the original plastic Basilians count? Those were just hilariously bad, and the story behind their creation would have made for a great sitcom episode.


Oh! Oh! If early Mantic counts as 'recent', this thread could double from it's current size. But for me, I'll point out the drakons.



These were designed by someone who's heard of animals but wasn't sure if they should believe the stories. They're the worst dragon miniatures I've seen, and I've seen most of Trish Carden's productions. They look like a bunch of elves decided to build some cardboard dragons, Monty Python style, with a filth-gathering peasant's crude recollection of some heraldry he saw once as the blueprint. There are no subtle elements hidden by the angle of the shot, or perspective fixes, or very good paint jobs that can help these. They're just dire.


Damn it, now I've got coffee soaking into my keyboard.
   
Made in ca
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!




Easy. The Judiciar. Hes a freaking StormCast Eternal marine and hes downright ugly like the majority of stormcast models

123ply: Dataslate- 4/4/3/3/1/3/1/8/6+
Autopistol, Steel Extendo, Puma Hoodie
USRs: "Preferred Enemy: Xenos"
"Hatred: Xenos"
"Racist and Proud of it" - Gains fleshbane, rending, rage, counter-attack, and X2 strength and toughness when locked in combat with units not in the "Imperium of Man" faction.

Collection:
AM/IG - 122nd Terrax Guard: 2094/3000pts
Skitarii/Cult Mech: 1380/2000pts
Khorne Daemonkin - Host of the Nervous Knife: 1701/2000pts
Orks - Rampage Axez: 1753/2000pts 
   
Made in us
Honored Helliarch on Hypex





United States

Throw a dart at this picture. Take your pick.




Ayn Rand "We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality" 
   
Made in us
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain






A Protoss colony world

Repentia aren't supposed to be pretty, they're supposed to be tough and mean. I feel like they nailed that aesthetic. And I think the Superior's face looking weird is more of a paintjob thing.

My armies (re-counted and updated on 9/25/20, including modeled wargear options):
Dark Angels: ~16000 | Space Marines (Blood Ravens and others): ~900 | Space Wolves: ~3800
Astra Militarum: ~800 | Officio Assassinorum: ~600 | Imperial Knights: ~1300 | Sisters of Battle: ~1900
Check out my P&M Blogs: ZergSmasher's P&M Blog | Imperial Knights blog | Total models painted in 2019: 62 | Total models painted in 2020: 28 | Current main painting project: The Witch-King of Angmar on Fell Beast
 Mr_Rose wrote:
Who doesn’t love crazy mutant squawk-puppies? Eh? Nobody, that’s who.
 
   
Made in us
Steady Space Marine Vet Sergeant




San Jose, CA

123ply wrote:Easy. The Judiciar. Hes a freaking StormCast Eternal marine and hes downright ugly like the majority of stormcast models



yup, the fact that they'd look perfectly fine in AOS is a key indicator for terribleness. remove the power pack & swap absolver for something else and bingo, new Stormcast chamber...the gakky chamber.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




I'd say these bad boys were the beginning of the end for the old style marines.

   
Made in ca
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller




smelly bohab wrote:
I'd say these bad boys were the beginning of the end for the old style marines.
Spoiler:



When it began to get too ridiculous I'll agree with that.

 BuFFo wrote:
Throw a dart at this picture. Take your pick.
Spoiler:





Part of GW's plan to open up the 40k to the masses, by cleaning up and main streaming the grimdark...can't have half covered woman with hoods and corset running around being herded by some masked mistress with whips. Now it's simplistic but proper clothing, and everything must alookk like thir badasses...Also, cyber and those electroos everywhere..it's like the metal tubes..everyone got metal tubes now in 40k, so grimdark, metal tubes..

As I play Guard, I would push forward this:



looks like an quad with a closed frame, suddenly came out with the Scions, which are also a bit too baroque for the Guard; I mean one thing benig clled off by th grunts, it,s another to flahs as to rub it in their faces..


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/08/04 07:50:34


 
   
Made in ie
[DCM]
Hoary Long Fang with Lascannon





Dublin

smelly bohab wrote:
I'd say these bad boys were the beginning of the end for the old style marines.

Awful-looking things. Ugly torsos to begin with. Nipple guns and the undersling drills with giant powerfists holding them add a dimension of wtf?!

I let the dogs out 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

My problem with them is that they lack a sense of being able to move. The legs are too thick; the guns aren't really on the chest they are in the arm pit area etc...

They just look like a suit of armour better set for heavy artillery, but they are close combat units which should mean that they'd need to move fairly fast to be of any use.

I get the idea of them being a massive walking machine that never stops; never gives up and just ploughs through everything including walls; but they are just "too" much on the armour side of things.

   
Made in za
Regular Dakkanaut



South Africa

Inquisitor Jex wrote:





looks like an quad with a closed frame, suddenly came out with the Scions, which are also a bit too baroque for the Guard; I mean one thing benig clled off by th grunts, it,s another to flahs as to rub it in their faces..




This model is stupid as feth. The tracks don't seem to offer much over wheels for PSI ratings, the autocannon is literally pointing at the crew access doors in some versions, just stupid. I understand the desire for a WWIesque MRAP model but still there are may better way of making this vehicle than that crud.

I have a heavy dislike for the Centurion models as well because of how cumbersome they look. They don't look practical at all.

The various versions of the Storm Raven strike me as impractical too.

My personal top dislike model is a toss up between the Reivers and the Bladeguard Veterans.

One is silly looking because of the skull thing. Won't work on anyone that's Xeno IMHO, so who's it really for? And the Bladeguard are simply too cluttered, especially after the clean lines of most other Primaris. I'm honestly surprised at hos Grimdark they went with the iconography and spare gear, without making it realistic in any way. Look at almost any veteran in combat. Their gear will be stripped down to bare essentials that accomplish the mission without any superfluous garbage. Yet these veterans are carrying everything including the Kitchen Sink. I DO like the Death Watch Veteran Kill Team, including the shield guy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/08/04 10:09:07


KBK 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Im very mixed on the new repentia - not a fan of the sporty outfits and shoes but otherwise ok. I wish they had tattered robes over the sport bra and shorts maybe as a start. Shrek face superior though needs a head swap....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/08/04 12:19:30


 
   
Made in gb
Yu Jing Martial Arts Ninja





The Lakes

Regards the Taurox, the tracks don't seem to offer any ability to move atall, beyond on perfectly flat concrete, The fixed armour almost to the ground would just sit the weight of the whole thing on any soft ground, and it becomes a very, very ugly pillbox. Not atall sure why double track guards either.

A flabbergastingly bad model on release, and still is.


 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Spoiler:
Kayback wrote:
Inquisitor Jex wrote:





looks like an quad with a closed frame, suddenly came out with the Scions, which are also a bit too baroque for the Guard; I mean one thing benig clled off by th grunts, it,s another to flahs as to rub it in their faces..




This model is stupid as feth. The tracks don't seem to offer much over wheels for PSI ratings, the autocannon is literally pointing at the crew access doors in some versions, just stupid. I understand the desire for a WWIesque MRAP model but still there are may better way of making this vehicle than that crud.

I have a heavy dislike for the Centurion models as well because of how cumbersome they look. They don't look practical at all.

The various versions of the Storm Raven strike me as impractical too.

My personal top dislike model is a toss up between the Reivers and the Bladeguard Veterans.

One is silly looking because of the skull thing. Won't work on anyone that's Xeno IMHO, so who's it really for? And the Bladeguard are simply too cluttered, especially after the clean lines of most other Primaris. I'm honestly surprised at hos Grimdark they went with the iconography and spare gear, without making it realistic in any way. Look at almost any veteran in combat. Their gear will be stripped down to bare essentials that accomplish the mission without any superfluous garbage. Yet these veterans are carrying everything including the Kitchen Sink. I DO like the Death Watch Veteran Kill Team, including the shield guy.



I think its main problem, besides the gun on the side which looks tacked on and doesn't have a proper support. Is that its a bit like the genstealer cults Rockgrinder when it first came out. I didn't like it back then because it was alone in its asthetic. However when the truck and bikes and buggy came out the designs unified and supported each other. The issue with the new IG vehicle is that it came into a range with Chimera and Russ and other tanks that all had a very defined look; then they got a single lone truck that sort of kept the same design source, but was on its own. It would come into its own with a small group of similar designs appearing.

   
Made in gb
Esteemed Veteran Space Marine




UK

The Taurox looks a lot better with the wheel conversion kit from Victoria minis.

 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





My personal favorite is the details on the judicar.

1) I like that he's got this flirty look with his coat, like he's coming at you, and he's let one shoulder of his goofy "I'm wearing power armor but also a coat" ensemble slip off his shoulder, and that sultry gaze just screams "whoops *giggle* not fixing that...."

2) I also like that he's taken an hourglass, an item the main function of which is to turn on its end so you can reset it, and he's mounted it on...a chain, attached to the top.

So that you can't turn it over. What happens when the sand reaches the bottom, Judge Judy?

3) everything about his head. Why is he a skeleton man? That looks like his real head - why is his nose a hole? Is this a reject chaos model that they forgot they didn't primaris-ize chaos marines?

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: