Switch Theme:

AnyCubic 5 year anniversary sale. - Discount 3d resin printers (limited time only)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 Ketara wrote:
I'll pull the trigger on the mono an hour from now to catch the sale if nothing else comes up.


I absolutely would. And drop a Mega-S in the cart if you don't have an FDM printer yet, too

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran






Maybe joking, but yes, the Mega S is a great machine, quite beginner friendly.
   
Made in us
Courageous Questing Knight





Central Cimmeria

This is a pretty tempting deal. I nearly pulled the trigger myself.

For anyone considering getting a resin printer, please be aware of the toxic chemicals used in the process and handle and dispose of them properly. For example, even with the water wash resin, you can't just dispose of the water you use down the drain.

You can't handle the resin with your bare hands, and you should probably wear a respirator while using it. Additionally, the chemical waste is very damaging to aquatic ecosystems, so you have to dispose of it properly (like dropping it off at the local dump hazardous waste drop-off).

I ultimately decided I didn't want to have buckets of hazardous chemicals and hazardous airborne chemicals around the house.

I don't judge those who make a different decision, I get it! Please just be careful with your chemical waste and your health.
   
Made in gb
[SWAP SHOP MOD]
Killer Klaivex







 lord_blackfang wrote:
 Ketara wrote:
I'll pull the trigger on the mono an hour from now to catch the sale if nothing else comes up.


I absolutely would. And drop a Mega-S in the cart if you don't have an FDM printer yet, too


Aren't FDM printers the ones which print objects with horrendous lines all over them needing filing? Because if so, that's what always put me off 3d printing.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
And done! One Mono, washing machine, and 2 extra litres of gray resin, all winging their way to me. Now to try and find stuff I want to print! Off to Thingiverse...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/09/14 15:38:27



 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





lord_blackfang wrote:I really, really, really urge you to get the $209 Photon Mono, if it's not available yet it will be in a matter of weeks once the old ones sell out.

You'll get 3x the printing speed and 4x the expected operating lifespan of the screen, that's on average 12 times as many miniatures printed before having to replace it.

Plus there's an extra half inch of screen in both dimensions, that could mean the difference between printing a whole tank in one piece or not.


I agree. No one should buy a non-mono screen resin printer. Why do you think AnyCubic is having all these sales recently? it's to dump old stock because it won't sell shortly once Monoscreens become the norm which would have happened earlier this year if it wasn't for COVID I think. Mono screens are so clearly superior at such a small starting price increase (but saves you significant money per print) that even at $100 the old LCD printers aren't worth it.

Ketara wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
 Ketara wrote:
I'll pull the trigger on the mono an hour from now to catch the sale if nothing else comes up.


I absolutely would. And drop a Mega-S in the cart if you don't have an FDM printer yet, too


Aren't FDM printers the ones which print objects with horrendous lines all over them needing filing? Because if so, that's what always put me off 3d printing.


Yes but they're really not that bad to be honest as you can, with out much work, cover them up pretty easily with various epoxys or similar means or sand them away if the sculpt allows for it. I use to do both those things but pretty much stopped as from a few feet away they're really not that noticeable.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Gallahad wrote:
\
You can't handle the resin with your bare hands, and you should probably wear a respirator while using it. Additionally, the chemical waste is very damaging to aquatic ecosystems, so you have to dispose of it properly (like dropping it off at the local dump hazardous waste drop-off).

I ultimately decided I didn't want to have buckets of hazardous chemicals and hazardous airborne chemicals around the house.

I don't judge those who make a different decision, I get it! Please just be careful with your chemical waste and your health.


Newer resins you don't need to worry about a respirator if you've got ventilation but that's key. Have some place to vent people.

As for disposal. just sit it in the sun for like 10-60 min depending and you're good. That's what I do with all the paper towels I use to clean up stuff with. just a few min and it's cured and ready for the trash.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/14 16:01:42


 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







Yep this baby was done on a stock Mega-S, sprayed with just a normal dollar store rattlecan primer and painted with art acrylics and you have to lean in to see the lines.



Photos are very forgiving on FDM prints, mind you, as the lines are so fine they mostly disappear during jpg compression and image downscaling.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/14 16:06:45


Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





That looks great. I think fantasy looks much better on FDM then some modern or Sci-fi as you have all the wood, stone and other textures for the lines to get lost into.
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 Monkeysloth wrote:
That looks great. I think fantasy looks much better on FDM then some modern or Sci-fi as you have all the wood, stone and other textures for the lines to get lost into.


Yeah wood and stone are very forgiving, honestly the lines might even help give them some depth when drybrushing. I've seen good results on "modern" materials too with airbrushing. Metallics, tho, that's a disaster.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

Am I missing something? Those prices aren't a "sale" price outside of they're pretty much on sale every other Wednesday at similar prices.

I'm not saying they're not discounted, but nobody be under the impression they're once in a lifetime, never to be repeated discounts either (especially with the new batch of Mono screen models on their way.)

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in gb
[SWAP SHOP MOD]
Killer Klaivex







 Azreal13 wrote:
Am I missing something? Those prices aren't a "sale" price outside of they're pretty much on sale every other Wednesday at similar prices.

I'm not saying they're not discounted, but nobody be under the impression they're once in a lifetime, never to be repeated discounts either (especially with the new batch of Mono screen models on their way.)


I saved $90 on a wash machine, got a 1 litre resin for $10 and the new Mono for $209 (sixty bucks off the upcoming price). That's around $200 off RRP. Perhaps I'm a fool and they do this every weekend, but it seemed like a good deal.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/09/14 17:09:07



 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

It's very common for Chinese sellers to obfuscate on price. This is a discount on RRP, and the final prices are reasonable, but it's important to emphasise that nobody dig themselves into a hole to try and take advantage of an opportunity which will likely roll around in a a week or two looking very similar, not that people should feel foolish for buying it.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







The Mono presale price is a steal for sure, I can't see it being this low again until 11/11 (basically Chinese black friday) next year at the earliest.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





I picked up one of the mono models and a liter of the eco-resin, which for sure is worth the price for me so I don't have to feel nervous about having this thing in the house with kids on the way.

How much of a game-changer would folks say that the special cleaner thingy is as compared to just cleaning with household cleaner and water? Cleaning protocols for resin seem pretty painless to me at basically 0$ investment. Is the cleaner/curer just like, for folks who are doing huge volume of stuff all the time?

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in gb
[SWAP SHOP MOD]
Killer Klaivex







the_scotsman wrote:
I picked up one of the mono models and a liter of the eco-resin, which for sure is worth the price for me so I don't have to feel nervous about having this thing in the house with kids on the way.

How much of a game-changer would folks say that the special cleaner thingy is as compared to just cleaning with household cleaner and water? Cleaning protocols for resin seem pretty painless to me at basically 0$ investment. Is the cleaner/curer just like, for folks who are doing huge volume of stuff all the time?


I spent some time watching videos, and the general gist seemed to be that doing it with just a sandwich box and a sunny windowsill was possible; but it inevitably gets messy and bits of resin tend to get left on the model somewhere. So it's more a question of whether you're willing to spend a hundred quid to make your experience smoother, less hassle, and slightly more thorough. This is the video that convinced me to pick one up as part of my package.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/14 18:00:04



 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





Alright. Well, I will probably start with doing it by hand and maybe consider picking one up later if I significantly amp up my print volume. I'm probably unlikely to be trying to print whole armies for myself right out the gate anyway.

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran






Personally, to clean prints I use an ultrasonic cleaner and alcohol or water depending on the resin (I'm using water washable resin now).

It works like a charm.

EDIT: Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-Professional-Ultrasonic-Eyeglasses-Instruments/dp/B00HZVYAVM/ref=sxin_12_sk-bs-v3-tn-desktop-na_4ddc023a57d48616e876bed4c62af370fcf4f6e9?crid=M35YPUJRUPCQ&cv_ct_cx=ultrasonic+cleaner&dchild=1&keywords=ultrasonic+cleaner&pd_rd_i=B00HZVYAVM&pd_rd_r=3ae9fec5-3666-4a25-b09a-6a44d7cdcb27&pd_rd_w=Mi6Ec&pd_rd_wg=erBSa&pf_rd_p=adb03412-2691-4eec-88cf-c5da0ec64ba6&pf_rd_r=QYK5W46B77M2W955N3V3&qid=1600107719&sprefix=ultrasonic+cleaner%2Caps%2C236&sr=1-2-64fffb07-64c9-4706-8615-4b3719e1ca2e

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/14 18:26:10


 
   
Made in gb
Wise Ethereal with Bodyguard







 Ketara wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
 Ketara wrote:
I'll pull the trigger on the mono an hour from now to catch the sale if nothing else comes up.


I absolutely would. And drop a Mega-S in the cart if you don't have an FDM printer yet, too


Aren't FDM printers the ones which print objects with horrendous lines all over them needing filing? Because if so, that's what always put me off 3d printing.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
And done! One Mono, washing machine, and 2 extra litres of gray resin, all winging their way to me. Now to try and find stuff I want to print! Off to Thingiverse...


If it helps I have gone rather super critical with the thingiverse searching over the past year or so...

https://www.thingiverse.com/gflinty/collections

Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 Flinty wrote:
If it helps I have gone rather super critical with the thingiverse searching over the past year or so...
https://www.thingiverse.com/gflinty/collections


Wow. This is huge work, considering thingiverse's interface.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut







Same. But I don't even use the ultrasconic part anymore. Never have noticed a difference. Just drop them in, stir with something for like a minute then remove in about 10-15 min.
   
Made in gb
Wise Ethereal with Bodyguard







 lord_blackfang wrote:
 Flinty wrote:
If it helps I have gone rather super critical with the thingiverse searching over the past year or so...
https://www.thingiverse.com/gflinty/collections


Wow. This is huge work, considering thingiverse's interface.


I did most of it using the app, just scrolling quickly through the days posts waiting for my kids to go to sleep. But the app went bad a few months ago and has never recovered so build up of collection is greatly reduced.

In other news, I also appear to have added a Photon Mono to go with my Prusa FDM. Yaaaay, something finally to print all the lovely Antenociti tanks and ray gun Raptors I have kickstarted recently

Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

the_scotsman wrote:
Alright. Well, I will probably start with doing it by hand and maybe consider picking one up later if I significantly amp up my print volume. I'm probably unlikely to be trying to print whole armies for myself right out the gate anyway.

I just swish them around in some IPA for a minute and then pop them out in the sun to cure. That's been working fine, so far.

 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





 insaniak wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
Alright. Well, I will probably start with doing it by hand and maybe consider picking one up later if I significantly amp up my print volume. I'm probably unlikely to be trying to print whole armies for myself right out the gate anyway.

I just swish them around in some IPA for a minute and then pop them out in the sun to cure. That's been working fine, so far.


You have to be careful with the sun. From what I understand is you only want certain UV wavelengths to finish the curing and the sun has all of them. Can cause your resin to be overly brittle.

I build a curing station with around $25 in parts from amazon. Bought some UV LED strings, mirror stickers and then just attached the stickers inside of a large plastic tupperware bowel then attached the uv string in a circular pattern from top to bottom and added a small hole for the power cord. Then I just place the piece on a old mirror thingy I got for sculpting greenstuff years ago (think I got it at hobbylobby) but that's not needed as you can just flip the items after like 30-60 min.
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

 lord_blackfang wrote:
I really, really, really urge you to get the $209 Photon Mono, if it's not available yet it will be in a matter of weeks once the old ones sell out.

You'll get 3x the printing speed and 4x the expected operating lifespan of the screen, that's on average 12 times as many miniatures printed before having to replace it.

Plus there's an extra half inch of screen in both dimensions, that could mean the difference between printing a whole tank in one piece or not.


This advice came a little too late for me as I made the purchase. Also the preorder deal at discount was US only and not covered on the UK site.

n'oublie jamais

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. 
   
Made in gb
[SWAP SHOP MOD]
Killer Klaivex







 Orlanth wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
I really, really, really urge you to get the $209 Photon Mono, if it's not available yet it will be in a matter of weeks once the old ones sell out.

You'll get 3x the printing speed and 4x the expected operating lifespan of the screen, that's on average 12 times as many miniatures printed before having to replace it.

Plus there's an extra half inch of screen in both dimensions, that could mean the difference between printing a whole tank in one piece or not.


This advice came a little too late for me as I made the purchase. Also the preorder deal at discount was US only and not covered on the UK site.


Cancel your order. The US site does free shipping to the UK (they have a warehouse here) and the deal is still on. I paid an extra £15 in currency conversion through paypal I wasn't expecting, but that was it.


 
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

 Ketara wrote:


Cancel your order. The US site does free shipping to the UK (they have a warehouse here) and the deal is still on. I paid an extra £15 in currency conversion through paypal I wasn't expecting, but that was it.


I hear you but I had bought it overnight and it was shipped from UK stock in the morning. So it was too late. Had it not been shipped I would do as you suggest, I could try return schenanigans on a delivered product but I am not a d**k so I will keep what I ordered in good faith.
Anycubic Photon is a good machine by all accounts, maybe I could do better but I have no excuse for buyers remorse.

The Anycubic Mono is on pre-order US only, it is not on UK sale and certainly not likely to be on discount pre-order. It was not much more, but it was more and I wanted to take advantage of the discount resin to get a good supply in.

Now the Mono does look good as does the Mono X which is even bigger and on reading up there is the upcoming Elegoo Saturn. That is the size of the Mono X has similar technology and is slightly cheaper. I now have two printers my Ender 3 Pro and now my Anycubic Photon, which arrived this morning.

For the the learning curve is save more money. I bought the Anycubic because my wealthy widow aunt gave me cash for my birthday, I have a large hobby budget so I could have bought that myself soon enough. But I am now thinking about saving £450 for the next stage and buy an Anycubic Mono X or Elegoo Saturn. Now both these have monoLCD and an identical 192mm x 120mm build area. The verticals are different though the Saturn has 200mm usable z axis, whereas the Mono X has 245mm.

All this depends on my experience with my new resin printer. Will I want to stick with filament printers for terrain models. The way I see it, I will be using the Ender 3 for buildings and the Photon for accessories, and maybe later minis. Frankly I dont have a lot on my build queue I want resin for. I wonder about the efficiency of using resin print for full buildings. I will see how things turn out. It may be that I wont need a bigger printer, the Photon might suit my needs for those things I dont put on the Ender 3. On the other hand I might get the 'print every large monster I can get my hands on' bug by this time next month. Knowing my I probably will.

Since finishing my Sisters purchase block earlier this year I havent had a lot on schedule for my hobby purchases, a few Kickstarters is all. I have no current plans to buy a new army, so I can see myself getting a large volume resin printer later this year.

Thank you for the advice anyway. You were really enthused by the Photon Mono, so I took a deeper look and you are right, its a better investment, but lets start with what I have got, and then later sinking real money into a larger printer.
Large printer owners? If I go resin for large print jobs am I likely to not look back, will the Ender 3 end up gathering dust. What are your experiences?


n'oublie jamais

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

 Orlanth wrote:
All this depends on my experience with my new resin printer. Will I want to stick with filament printers for terrain models. The way I see it, I will be using the Ender 3 for buildings and the Photon for accessories, and maybe later minis.


This is what I do, and it's a good system.

 lord_blackfang wrote:
Respect to the guy who subscribed just to post a massive ASCII dong in the chat and immediately get banned.
 
   
Made in us
Powerful Pegasus Knight





Texas

I started a thread on washing and curing here: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/791471.page

Also, I have the Elegoo Mars and with the LCD screen, I have had to replace two in a bit over a year, but the first one was right off the bat, so Elegoo sent one for free. However, I have been using it very heavily and probably have over 600 print runs total on the machine so far. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to replace the LCD screen, but it is a dynamite printer at .047 resolution. I am going to pick up the Elegoo Saturn early next year, with a monochrome LCD and almost twice the build plate, i am looking forward to that, although the resolution is just a tad less at .050 - really indistinguishable.

My Novella Collection is available on Amazon - Action/Fantasy/Sci-Fi - https://www.amazon.com/Three-Roads-Dreamt-Michael-Leonard/dp/1505716993/

Check out REALM LORDS-For Castle and Country! - KS page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mdsw/realm-lords-for-castle-and-country?ref=5ra4gp&token=54b51f2f 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: