Switch Theme:

What Finecast are you happy with sticking around a bit longer  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

It's just a shame that they've never managed to refine the process or the material. The detail retention of resin is still higher than that of platsic and has more sculpting options. That said I'm happy with GW plastics right now so I'm content for everything to go to plastic. Even if it takes time.

   
Made in us
Mysterious Techpriest




The difficulty of Finecast is that they took models designed in metal and just redid them in resin. Resin can stick around as long as it likes if they start designing models in resin instead of the hasty conversion business.


Honestly, it's not even that. You can get really good resin casts out of molds meant for metal without retooling. You just need to degas efficiently, or use a resin that sets up slow enough to allow the air to escape completely. The reason finecast is so bad os because GW deliberately went with a very cheap resin that has a super fast cure time and they aren't degassing it (or the cure time is so fast the degasing isn't helping). This is also why Finecast is often so brittle. In this way, they can cast so many that a high scrap-rate is meaningless and it's still more profitable to just replace bad casts over and over.

If they had gone w/a higher quality resin w/a slower cure time, it would be a different story imo.

As far as which one I'd be ok with sticking around for a while? Honestly none. I had really good luck with the few Finecast models I bought - no bad holes in them, no missing body parts, etc. But I know if I look at them too hard SOMETHING is going to snap off. Let's not be having any more of that ... get rid of Finecast already ...

Edit: I just googled ablutions and apparently it does not including dropping a duece. I should have looked it up early sorry for any confusion. - Baldsmug

Psiensis on the "good old days":
"Kids these days...
... I invented the 6th Ed meta back in 3rd ed.
Wait, what were we talking about again? Did I ever tell you about the time I gave you five bees for a quarter? That's what you'd say in those days, "give me five bees for a quarter", is what you'd say in those days. And you'd go down to the D&D shop, with an onion in your belt, 'cause that was the style of the time. So there I was in the D&D shop..." 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Yeah the brittleness is a real issue with failcast, even when they come out ok they just snap like twigs at the slightest pressure. Which really doesn't help the problems with trying to straighten bent pieces.

Failcast is such an obvious example of "screw the customer because we make more money." Not only should it go away, they really ought to apologize to their customers for the whole debacle.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/17 18:19:43


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Irkjoe wrote:
It is that bad, it's the worst material I've ever worked with. It should all go, gw and fw should never have attempted it. The bubbles, the gates, and spru running out of half the extremities, even the name and description is to the point of parody. I can't imagine a single redeeming feature though I recall some excuse about it not being toxic.

Just to address this FW resin is not fine cast, if you take two models side by aide the difference between the two is stark.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Yeah FW uses real resin, not the budget crap failcast is made from. Everything about them is different - color, texture, level of detail, etc.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Lincoln, UK

I own 3 Finecast minis - a Jokaero and two LotR dwarfs. They're all great... but the dwarfs were a vault warden team with a spear and shield that couldn't be saved. I made a pair of captains out of the figures instead.

I do remember when it came out, poking through blisters and saying "nope... nope... nope..." at all the figures missing limbs, all the air bubbles and deformed pieces.

Building an Aspect Warrior Eldar force right now, and I went for old metal figures. Cheaper and more durable than the FC ones.

Milliput forms a "hot weld" with superglue that dries the glue quickly and allows the epoxy to cure over time. Green Stuff also works well with superglue. Between those and pinning (and Araldite), working with multipart metal has become straightforward. I won't say easy, but I no longer avoid complex metal figures.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/17 20:07:39


 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Ambitious Archon





Port Carmine

In the case of the Sslyth, I doubt there would be enough of a financial reward for GW in making a plastic version, and it would be sad if they just got rid of it.

Kabal of the Mon-keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues

"Death is only a concern if you're both weak enough to be killed and dumb enough not to arrange your own resurrection." PM713
 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






There is a reason why EVERY finecast kit sells less than its metal predecessor on ebay...

I have worked with - Storm guardians, Dark reapers, rangers, OOP autarch and all of them were terrible. All of them... And I have seen countless models on the table left right and center with flacid spears/gun barrels...

on small infantry there is so much detail that gets lost or covered with gunk its unreal. Its just terrible.

I scour ebay regularly looking for metal to see if I can get some at a decent price.
Id rather pay premium strip a badly painted second metal mode than get fresh finecats. I woudint even take finecats for free if people offered. No joke..

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/09/17 21:46:38


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Ambitious Archon





Port Carmine

 Argive wrote:
There is a reason why EVERY finecast kit sells less than its metal predecessor on ebay...

I have worked with - Storm guardians, Dark reapers, rangers, OOP autarch and all of them were terrible. All of them... And I have seen countless models on the table left right and center with flacid spears/gun barrels...

on small infantry there is so much detail that gets lost or covered with gunk its unreal. Its just terrible.

I scour ebay regularly looking for metal to see if I can get some at a decent price.
Id rather pay premium strip a badly painted second metal mode than get fresh finecats. I woudint even take finecats for free if people offered. No joke..


There is a Haemonculus sculpt in finecast that sells for tons on ebay. I don't think it was ever produced in metal.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/17 21:53:52


Kabal of the Mon-keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues

"Death is only a concern if you're both weak enough to be killed and dumb enough not to arrange your own resurrection." PM713
 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






 harlokin wrote:
 Argive wrote:
There is a reason why EVERY finecast kit sells less than its metal predecessor on ebay...

I have worked with - Storm guardians, Dark reapers, rangers, OOP autarch and all of them were terrible. All of them... And I have seen countless models on the table left right and center with flacid spears/gun barrels...

on small infantry there is so much detail that gets lost or covered with gunk its unreal. Its just terrible.

I scour ebay regularly looking for metal to see if I can get some at a decent price.
Id rather pay premium strip a badly painted second metal mode than get fresh finecats. I woudint even take finecats for free if people offered. No joke..


There is a Haemonculus sculpt in finecast that sells for tons on ebay. I don't think it was ever produced in metal.


Yeah I meant any that have been 1:1 ported
Ive yet to find a metal that sells cheaper/same price as current in production fine-cast.

True OOP stuff always sells at a premium.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




FWIW I just got my FW Lernaen termies, and aside from one model with a rather noticeable mold line (nothing that needs to be returned, just some careful work), they're perfect. The contrast with the failcast Eldar Rangers I got (and instantly regretted) is stark. I don't want to even think about how the hydra scale armor details would look in failcast, you probably wouldn't even be able to tell what it was, it'd just look lumpy.

Failcast is just so obviously a cheap budget knock-off they introduced solely for reasons of corporate greed.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

When I had a mad moment of Skaven I was scouring ebay for metals as well. I every so often glance there for a metal Pyrovore as well but I've yet to see them at near sane prices.


I even grabbed a few demon models in metal before they went finecast as well. Metal is fine to work with, finecast just isn't.

Sadly everyone else agrees!!




Then again I wish GW would give us a months notice and then do another Slaanesh "Diaz Deamonettes" casting.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

BrianDavion wrote:
I keep hoping they'll give us a thunderifre cannon in plastic, GW could pair it with a primaris techmarine gunner and slap a 90 dollar price tag on it. expensive but people'd proably buy em
They've had 4 Codices since the original book that introduced the Thunderfire to make it plastic. If it hasn't happened by now I doubt it's happening at all.

   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

I have my plastic PDC Gaming thunderfire downstairs in a box... really should assemble it, one day.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/17 23:25:04


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




If I never see a thunderfire on a table again I'll be a happy camper, honestly.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
I keep hoping they'll give us a thunderifre cannon in plastic, GW could pair it with a primaris techmarine gunner and slap a 90 dollar price tag on it. expensive but people'd proably buy em
They've had 4 Codices since the original book that introduced the Thunderfire to make it plastic. If it hasn't happened by now I doubt it's happening at all.

Just use one of the FW Rapier batteries. Thats what I did.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/17 23:53:08


CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in gb
Frightening Flamer of Tzeentch




 harlokin wrote:
In the case of the Sslyth, I doubt there would be enough of a financial reward for GW in making a plastic version, and it would be sad if they just got rid of it.


What you have to watch for is GW getting the "bright idea" that, already having plastic Ur-Ghuls, a Court of the Archon box would be good, and then make a box containting 1 of each of the Ur-Ghuls, Sslyth, Lhamaeans and Medusae.

Cos, you know, people will always field all 4 models, as GW intends....
   
Made in us
Khorne Chosen Marine Riding a Juggernaut




Southampton, UK

 harlokin wrote:

There is a Haemonculus sculpt in finecast that sells for tons on ebay. I don't think it was ever produced in metal.


Crucifixion-posed dude? Yeah I had to track one of them down, much prefer it to the current plastic one.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Ambitious Archon





Port Carmine

Fictional wrote:
 harlokin wrote:
In the case of the Sslyth, I doubt there would be enough of a financial reward for GW in making a plastic version, and it would be sad if they just got rid of it.


What you have to watch for is GW getting the "bright idea" that, already having plastic Ur-Ghuls, a Court of the Archon box would be good, and then make a box containting 1 of each of the Ur-Ghuls, Sslyth, Lhamaeans and Medusae.

Cos, you know, people will always field all 4 models, as GW intends....


If GW announced a "Court of the Archon" box with 1 of each in plastic with updated sculpts.....I wouldn't hesitate to pre-order

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/18 10:31:23


Kabal of the Mon-keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues

"Death is only a concern if you're both weak enough to be killed and dumb enough not to arrange your own resurrection." PM713
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: