Switch Theme:

Battlescribe Gone ?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Sadistic Inquisitorial Excruciator




 Irbis wrote:
AdmiralHalsey wrote:
I am not a legal expert, but I am not sure to the degree that one can claim the 'rules' on how to play a game are copywritable property.

Words, symbols, settings, backgrounds, models, definately. Rules is a much greyer area.

How is it 'grey area'?

I wish people stopped saying stuff they obviously aren't qualified in. It's black and white area, rules are protected just as much as any other intellectual output. It doesn't matter if it is a story, an artwork, or rules, it's all the same. Hell, in my IP training, we were given an example of phone book - individual entries aren't protected, but a way of sorting or presentation (or any other loosely defined intellectual input) definitely is and if you can show someone copied your work, they can be sued, no question.


Because rules are a much more difficult concept to defend where they're being copied.

Are no minitures games allowed an assault phase? What if the rules for 'Future Soldiers' are the same rules as GW, but I use Centimeters? What if I copy sixth edition?
Remember, these are rules GW has frequently, and currently has released for free. If I play my boardgame at home using GW's rules without their consent, what law am I breaking exactly?

If I distrubute the rules for 9th edition, I am doing no more than rehosting a file GW has made public themselves - I am 98% certain this is _not_ breaking copywrite law.

Disclaimer - I am a Games Workshop Shareholder. 
   
Made in at
'Jack Scrapper





Austria

 Irbis wrote:

Funnily enough, when EU moved to regulate this, said parasite corporations flooded the internet with 'EU bans memes' propaganda - and naive idiots who never bothered to read what the law is doing, exactly, bought this and started protesting law affecting poor trillion dollar business just because evul EU will take away their lolcats (which, for the record, is BS).


I was active at this thing and the EU law is bad in a lot of parts
the main reason here is that Germany wanted a Law that did not worked well in Germany to be expanded in the whole EU with the hope it works better (it does not)
the other points are that the law makes automated filters possible and while no one on the political side thought about them, the movie industry is now the one that wants the EU to add them

the whole thing is disaster because it fails at the one thing it wanted to be (that Google pays money to German Newspaper for adding their headlines in the Google News Feed) while added options to act against anything someone does not want to be shown (no matter if it is legal or not as now the uploader has to proof it at court that it was legal and not the other way around)


Automatically Appended Next Post:
AdmiralHalsey wrote:

If I distrubute the rules for 9th edition, I am doing no more than rehosting a file GW has made public themselves - I am 98% certain this is _not_ breaking copywrite law.

you cannot copyright rules, but you can copyright the written text

so if you re-host the 9th edition rules, in your own words with different phrasing, GW can do nothing about it
yet because the exact phrasing is import to handle rules on the table, a file that hosts rules with a different phrasing is useless

hence why the 40k files are no greyzone here, it adds the matched play points and uses that name for it (remember how we used to therm skaven slave, apples/potatoes in forums for leaked points as GW was acting against "direct copies" by that time, so saying model X cost 12 points was forbidden but saying it costs 24 slaves was allowed) as well as the exact rules text for the models/units

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/18 13:15:39


Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in mx
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

Even if the data is taken down, the community can still coordinate. After all GW cannot stop the users from simply sharing the data with each other.
   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut






I wish the community would grow a collective spine and demand better treatment from gw. back it up with a boycott until they get the idea.

I've never watched a whole episode of Firefly. 
   
Made in gb
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets





Cardiff

 Matt Swain wrote:
I wish the community would grow a collective spine and demand better treatment from gw. back it up with a boycott until they get the idea.


People would have to be using their app to boycott it.

And veering off into silly boycott talk gets threads locked, maybe don’t...

 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Matt Swain wrote:
I wish the community would grow a collective spine and demand better treatment from gw. back it up with a boycott until they get the idea.

"Its the community's fault the GW app is a mess" is certainly a take.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Ambitious Archon





Port Carmine

"I demand better treatment from GW!...I will henceforth refuse to buy any Drukhari models.....until they bring some out....or I get bored!"

Kabal of the Mon-keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues

"Death is only a concern if you're both weak enough to be killed and dumb enough not to arrange your own resurrection." PM713
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 JohnnyHell wrote:
 Matt Swain wrote:
I wish the community would grow a collective spine and demand better treatment from gw. back it up with a boycott until they get the idea.


People would have to be using their app to boycott it.

And veering off into silly boycott talk gets threads locked, maybe don’t...

How would using their garbage app help any boycott? 40k Fans just need to be direct with GW at this point. However since we still have the few white Knights that will gobble up anything released, they won't notice.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Annandale, VA

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
How would using their garbage app help any boycott?


They weren't saying you should use their app to boycott it; they were saying you can only boycott something if you're already using it and choosing to make a change.

The point was that you can't boycott something that people aren't using. From what I've seen the app isn't exactly popular.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/18 14:41:14


 
   
Made in gb
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets





Cardiff

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
 JohnnyHell wrote:
 Matt Swain wrote:
I wish the community would grow a collective spine and demand better treatment from gw. back it up with a boycott until they get the idea.


People would have to be using their app to boycott it.

And veering off into silly boycott talk gets threads locked, maybe don’t...

How would using their garbage app help any boycott? 40k Fans just need to be direct with GW at this point. However since we still have the few white Knights that will gobble up anything released, they won't notice.


Ahhhhh the classic “white knight whales” remark when encountering alternate viewpoints. Never adds any weight to an argument, generally looks silly. Keep tilting at that windmill...

 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




 JohnnyHell wrote:
Fairly pointless FB post if it is fake. Idiots gotta idiot I guess.


It's the same stupid bullgak that makes April Fools day fething unbearable. Oh yeah, I LOVE having a holiday where I can't go online for 48 hours because everybody and their brother thinks it would be hilarious to post a fake cancer cure or w/e.

2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in gb
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets





Cardiff

ERJAK wrote:
 JohnnyHell wrote:
Fairly pointless FB post if it is fake. Idiots gotta idiot I guess.


It's the same stupid bullgak that makes April Fools day fething unbearable. Oh yeah, I LOVE having a holiday where I can't go online for 48 hours because everybody and their brother thinks it would be hilarious to post a fake cancer cure or w/e.


On the plus side, files seem to be back up now!

 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 JohnnyHell wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
 JohnnyHell wrote:
 Matt Swain wrote:
I wish the community would grow a collective spine and demand better treatment from gw. back it up with a boycott until they get the idea.


People would have to be using their app to boycott it.

And veering off into silly boycott talk gets threads locked, maybe don’t...

How would using their garbage app help any boycott? 40k Fans just need to be direct with GW at this point. However since we still have the few white Knights that will gobble up anything released, they won't notice.


Ahhhhh the classic “white knight whales” remark when encountering alternate viewpoints. Never adds any weight to an argument, generally looks silly. Keep tilting at that windmill...

Please defend the app then. Can't wait to see it.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in gb
Horrific Hive Tyrant





What on earth are you on about, Johnny isn't saying the app is good. Quite the opposite, saying no one is using it.

Honestly, most of your posts look like you're just busting for a verbal fight regardless of what other people are saying.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Imperial Guard Landspeeder Pilot




On moon miranda.

As Battlescribe very much exists, nothing has happened to the data, and this all appears to be from a poorly-conceived gag left in the notes by the people managing the data, I'm going to close this thread before more people get irrationally riled up.

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

New Heavy Gear Log! Also...Grey Knights!
The correct pronunciation is Imperial Guard and Stormtroopers, "Astra Militarum" and "Tempestus Scions" are something you'll find at Hogwarts.  
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: