Switch Theme:

Astra militarum and the current time line  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!




mrFickle wrote:
I’ve leaned on another post that GW have retconned the dark imperium timeline and we’ve only move on 12 years instead of 200 so my point is probably moot now anyway


Just because 9th ed takes place before 8th ed doesnt mean Dark Imperium never happened. Hell, the the 3rd book in the series is coming out and it continues directly after the 2nd book, which continues directly from the 1st.

I dont understand why people think "RETCON!" when nothing even Implies it.

Its just like people who think that just because something isnt written in a codex, that it's been completley retconned, even though theres nothing that contradicts or implies anything has changed at all

123ply: Dataslate- 4/4/3/3/1/3/1/8/6+
Autopistol, Steel Extendo, Puma Hoodie
USRs: "Preferred Enemy: Xenos"
"Hatred: Xenos"
"Racist and Proud of it" - Gains fleshbane, rending, rage, counter-attack, and X2 strength and toughness when locked in combat with units not in the "Imperium of Man" faction.

Collection:
AM/IG - 122nd Terrax Guard: 2094/3000pts
Skitarii/Cult Mech: 1380/2000pts
Khorne Daemonkin - Host of the Nervous Knife: 1701/2000pts
Orks - Rampage Axez: 1753/2000pts 
   
Made in gb
Dutiful Citizen Levy



UK

123ply wrote:
mrFickle wrote:
I’ve leaned on another post that GW have retconned the dark imperium timeline and we’ve only move on 12 years instead of 200 so my point is probably moot now anyway


Just because 9th ed takes place before 8th ed doesnt mean Dark Imperium never happened. Hell, the the 3rd book in the series is coming out and it continues directly after the 2nd book, which continues directly from the 1st.



I didn't catch the stream, but according to the article linked above, Dark Imperium is being retconned - apparently GW are republishing the two existing books with edits that make it clear they take place 12 years after the Great Rift. So they still happened, but their timing has been retconned.

'The bounties of space, of infinite outwardness, were three: empty heroics, low comedy, and pointless death.'
The Sirens of Titan, Kurt Vonnegut 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





I've never been enthusiastic about named characters on the table top 'cos they ain't My Guys who I made up myself and what is that Primarch doing in a skirmish anyway? Also you can use the rules for named characters and even the models but you just change the name and the fluff innit.

My first and current painting and modeling blog:

Planetary Defence Force with alternative models and converted vehicles 
   
Made in ca
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!




recaf wrote:
123ply wrote:
mrFickle wrote:
I’ve leaned on another post that GW have retconned the dark imperium timeline and we’ve only move on 12 years instead of 200 so my point is probably moot now anyway


Just because 9th ed takes place before 8th ed doesnt mean Dark Imperium never happened. Hell, the the 3rd book in the series is coming out and it continues directly after the 2nd book, which continues directly from the 1st.



I didn't catch the stream, but according to the article linked above, Dark Imperium is being retconned - apparently GW are republishing the two existing books with edits that make it clear they take place 12 years after the Great Rift. So they still happened, but their timing has been retconned.


Oh? read that they were making edits. I didn't know that that is what they ment

123ply: Dataslate- 4/4/3/3/1/3/1/8/6+
Autopistol, Steel Extendo, Puma Hoodie
USRs: "Preferred Enemy: Xenos"
"Hatred: Xenos"
"Racist and Proud of it" - Gains fleshbane, rending, rage, counter-attack, and X2 strength and toughness when locked in combat with units not in the "Imperium of Man" faction.

Collection:
AM/IG - 122nd Terrax Guard: 2094/3000pts
Skitarii/Cult Mech: 1380/2000pts
Khorne Daemonkin - Host of the Nervous Knife: 1701/2000pts
Orks - Rampage Axez: 1753/2000pts 
   
Made in au
Been Around the Block




Creed was placed in stasis. Presumably so GW can bring him back in the next lore update or Guard codex. I'm betting he'll be the next Lord Solar, appointed by Guilliman himself.

Other Guard characters are probably important enough to get rejuvenation technology. Other options is biomancy or bionics. The Imperium has many ways to extend normal human lives.
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Do you think Sebastian Yarrick is going to let something like old age kill him? You are vastly mistaken.
   
Made in gb
Sagitarius with a Big F'in Gun




Bath

123ply wrote:
recaf wrote:
123ply wrote:
mrFickle wrote:
I’ve leaned on another post that GW have retconned the dark imperium timeline and we’ve only move on 12 years instead of 200 so my point is probably moot now anyway


Just because 9th ed takes place before 8th ed doesnt mean Dark Imperium never happened. Hell, the the 3rd book in the series is coming out and it continues directly after the 2nd book, which continues directly from the 1st.



I didn't catch the stream, but according to the article linked above, Dark Imperium is being retconned - apparently GW are republishing the two existing books with edits that make it clear they take place 12 years after the Great Rift. So they still happened, but their timing has been retconned.


Oh? read that they were making edits. I didn't know that that is what they ment



it seems they have walked back form the 200 year time jump. the common fan consensus was they were planning something like the Age of Sigmar style reboot, during which fristborn marines were written out of the setting (via normal combat attrition) and replaced by primaris, the eldar were united as a single faction, and a few other setting changes.

After the strong negative reaction they got to the initial AOS, they've backed off on that total reboot and moved the events of the plague wars form about 200 years into the Indomitus Crusade to only 12 years in, and form the finale of the Crusades to the end of the opening Act.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.
"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
500pts
1000 pts
 
   
Made in gb
Utilizing Careful Highlighting




U.k

You can set your games in what ever era you want. Don’t have to do it where the fluff is up to.
   
Made in au
Been Around the Block




xerxeskingofking wrote:


it seems they have walked back form the 200 year time jump. the common fan consensus was they were planning something like the Age of Sigmar style reboot, during which fristborn marines were written out of the setting (via normal combat attrition) and replaced by primaris, the eldar were united as a single faction, and a few other setting changes.

After the strong negative reaction they got to the initial AOS, they've backed off on that total reboot and moved the events of the plague wars form about 200 years into the Indomitus Crusade to only 12 years in, and form the finale of the Crusades to the end of the opening Act.


This is correct, we might still end up in the same place over the next few editions. I highly believe GW will ultimately split the space marine codex in two due to codex bloat. We'll probably see a codex first-born and a codex primaris in 10th edition.

We probably won't ever see any new first-born units ever again and any new datasheets for them will probably be vehicles shared between first-born and primaris. Such as allowing first-born players to take Impulsors and Repulsors but not the other way around. It might take a few editions but we'll probably see a gradual transition of first-born units moving to legends.

Andykp wrote:
You can set your games in what ever era you want. Don’t have to do it where the fluff is up to.


100% this, I still have the lord solar Macharius model and would love the chance to actually have unique rules for him again.
   
Made in us
Journeyman Inquisitor with Visions of the Warp




The only imperium AM characters that are currently alive according to BL lore (Dubious at BEST) are their new token characters that no one really gives a toss about. Severina Rhaine, and that Sgt Mina whatverherlastnameis from Cadia. They both have sequels coming out, so both are still confirmed alive. Marbo will never be confirmed dead, as it was the highest military secret that he even existed in the first place, Cain is VERY dead, as is Gaunt, Yarrick, Nork, Kell, and pretty much any Cadian Character with the exception of Creed, who is currently in a stasis zoo of the Necron collector guy. As far as meaningful base human characters go, there are a scant few in the Inquisition that are still alive
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Considering the rough estimate of timeline progression since the Rift broke the galaxy is 25ish years, that's all bunk Fezz.

The War of Beasts on Vigilus lasted from 02.M42 - 25.M42. 25 years post M41 isn't an unreasonable expectation for high-ranking or well-known officers like Yarrick or Straken to live that long and receive rejuvenation treatment/organ/bionic implants to sustain them. The Sabbat Worlds Crusade happened during the 700's of M41 so of course Gaunt is dead and Kell got butchered by Abaddon. Creed is MIA presumed taken by Trazyn for his museum. Nork is a very important Ogryn, so the same rules apply regarding rejuve. I'd also like to point out reality itself has begun to break since the Rift came about and time isn't "linear" in all places anymore.

The only stuff that seems to be well ahead in the timeline is Ciaphas Cain's "death" at some point in the 1st or 2nd century of M42 and Vail's publishing of the Cain Archive which takes place over 100 odd years in M42.

I have no clue where you get your info Fezz but it physically hurts to see such a bad grasp of the lore.

Also, I assume by "token character", you mean women. God forbid 50% of the human race get represented in something when 90% of the books BL does are about giant supermen with huge muscles in impenetrable armour.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/20 16:05:55


 
   
Made in us
Journeyman Inquisitor with Visions of the Warp




Please put your the card back in the deck Gert. You were just arguing with someone in the Sororitas thread about Rape and torture of women being facts of life in the imperium. It appears the thread has been deleted.
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





If you can provide evidence that every human character bar Marbo the meme-gone-too-far and what you call "token characters" are dead, then I'll sit back and accept I'm wrong.
There was no reason to bring up that other thread and you've shown you have no idea what I was discussing within it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/20 21:55:43


 
   
Made in us
Journeyman Inquisitor with Visions of the Warp




 Gert wrote:
If you can provide evidence that every human character bar Marbo the meme-gone-too-far and what you call "token characters" are dead, then I'll sit back and accept I'm wrong.
There was no reason to bring up that other thread and you've shown you have no idea what I was discussing within it.


Cain was given a full military burial and the series itself is a post Mortem examination of his life, for future cadets in the Schola.

That is all I will do, as it's not my job to disgorge the badly written BL fluff to you just to prove your point invalid. You might as well say no one on Cadia is dead, because no one was there to see it happen. I know that Raine is still alive, her sequel is "in the works" according to the author. The Cadian SGT lady, who knows? She has no series, and no sequel planned according to the author. She was a grunt in a short story. Seeing as how they count the lives of cadian shock troops in hours, I doubt very much she made it very much farther. She also wouldn't be granted Rejuve treatments, not being worth it.

   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Again Cain is thought to have died at some point between the first and second centuries of M42. That leaves a hell of a lot of time where he might have died so he could reasonably still be alive in the early years of M42 of the current setting. AFAIK Raine doesn't have a time attached to her books so we have no real idea when she was around. The Cadian Minka was a Whiteshield in the first book she is featured in and over the course of 2 books and a short story gets promoted. Those books take place in the Era Indomitus so unless she's been killed in books featuring her I doubt she's dead. From what I can tell its just some books telling the events of the Fall of Cadia and its aftermath from the point of view of a Cadian rather than the sort of Imperial history book we get in codexes and the like.
As for you not having to prove anything, you've made some pretty wild claims in a thread discussing the current status of AM characters. If people want to know where you got these ideas you do kind of need to explain them. It's a discussion, that's how you discuss.
   
Made in ca
Heroic Senior Officer





Krieg! What a hole...

Guardsmen last for a lot longer than hours, stop basing your assumptions on the title of a single book about a single front on a single planet.

Member of 40k Montreal There is only war in Montreal
Primarchs are a mistake
DKoK Blog:http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/419263.page Have a look, I guarantee you will not see greyer armies, EVER! Now with at least 4 shades of grey

Savageconvoy wrote:
Snookie gives birth to Heavy Gun drone squad. Someone says they are overpowered. World ends.

 
   
Made in us
Ship's Officer





Dallas, TX

IG special characters are more of a setting rather than actual individual special characters as their lifespan is short comparing to those marines/Xenos, outside of tau. You can make a sgt. Harker count as for every regiment, even Marbo.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: