Switch Theme:

Long lost Dragon found... Hopefully to be back in production soon.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
 Robert Facepalmer wrote:
£49.50 in the 1983 catalogue.

Looks like GBP144 today. Not horrible, but not walking around money either. I'm interested in seeing what a reissued dragon will cost.

We have floated figures of between $175 and $500.

Depends.

And I am looking into producing a version of it in Plastic that would run about $50.

MB

Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut

Whatever you do, would be interested in this, especially in resin or plastic

Sanjay

Made in in
[MOD]
Otiose in a Niche

Hyderabad, India

At this point is there really much need to reissue to original? Seems for the cost of some of the hassles you name (FOIAs?!) you could get a traditional or digital sculptor to make a faithful recreation or an update?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/08/11 20:24:47

Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut

UK

A 3D print might actually resolve some issues too regarding its niche market. Why go for expensive mould systems for plastic or even metal and resin when you could use 3D printing?

Plus taking a model from metal to plastic can bring up issues. Though the siocast machines might have more leeway with undercuts and such.

A Blog in Miniature

3D Printing, hobbying and model fun!

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

 Overread wrote:
A 3D print might actually resolve some issues too regarding its niche market. Why go for expensive mould systems for plastic or even metal and resin when you could use 3D printing?

Plus taking a model from metal to plastic can bring up issues. Though the siocast machines might have more leeway with undercuts and such.

Way ahead of you there.

Although the 3D printing is only going to involve the production of Molds for a Styrene version.

The current plan is to have a Legacy version in Metal, warts and all. A more “cleaned-up” version that has better fit, uses less metal, and requires less acrobatics to assemble, and then a plastic version that will be “more accessible” as-well-as having more options for things like legs, head, tail, wings, and pose (such as an “in-flight” version).

MB

Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran

Maple Valley, Washington, Holy Terra

I think that there are probably enough enthusiasts of old-school metal models to justify the production of the model in its original form.

"Calgar hates Tyranids."

Your #1 Fan

Made in gb
Just the Bare Metal

Nottingham, UK

BeAfraid wrote:

dieselmonkey wrote:
 zedmeister wrote:

From what I remember, this wasn't a spin cast miniature but some other casting method was used that escapes me and moulds wore out pretty quickly. Do you have a link to the news anywhere?

I seem to recall (I worked at GW a loooooong time ago) that the smaller parts were spin cast, and the larger body parts were gravity moulds. We tried to make one back in the late 80s, but by that point we couldn't find all of the moulds.

And you couldn’t find all the Molds because they were in Dallas, TX at the time. I should have received all of them, if you had any at all.

Bit of a necropost, but if you think Bryan gave you all of the moulds to anything, I've got news for you... There were definitely still some at Chewton street in 1989-90 in the master mould/junk room, but as I said, not a full set.

Having said that, is there any update on this being released?

Made in ro
Servoarm Flailing Magos

Germany

Quite fittingly, the 'Chicken Dragon' was featured as an iconic model in the '40 years of warhammer' reminiscence today:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/15/40-years-of-warhammer-the-imperial-dragon-roars/

Made in gb
Just the Bare Metal

Nottingham, UK

Tsagualsa wrote:
Quite fittingly, the 'Chicken Dragon' was featured as an iconic model in the '40 years of warhammer' reminiscence today:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/15/40-years-of-warhammer-the-imperial-dragon-roars/

It's what reminded me about this post!

Made in gb
Been Around the Block

 Mentlegen324 wrote:

It's a miniature that in the 80s someone bought the rights to and produced them until the original molds were stolen, but it turns out the "mold maker" (which seems to have been Richard Halliwell who made the original?), also made a second mold of it for themselves (when he shouldn't have really) and for some reason suddenly contacted the person who bought the mold 30+ years ago, so now the buyer of that original mold that was stolen is going to use that copied mold to make more?

It looks like this post has been deleted, presumably because the errors were spotted, but for the benefit of anyone who may have seen it in passing – Richard Halliwell was a games designer, not a miniatures designer or mould maker, and sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. Just thought it was worth correcting the record on this.

Made in us
Posts with Authority

Norn Iron

I might just be interested in a placcy version if this ever comes to light. The chicken dragon has it's flaws, but looks more natural than all the 90s-comic-book dragons since.

Tsagualsa wrote:Quite fittingly, the 'Chicken Dragon' was featured as an iconic model in the '40 years of warhammer' reminiscence today:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/15/40-years-of-warhammer-the-imperial-dragon-roars/

> Trish dragons
> Elegant

Pick one.

I'm sooo, sooo sorry.

Plog - Random sculpts and OW Helves 9/3/23

Made in gb
Just the Bare Metal

Nottingham, UK

Greenfield wrote:

It looks like this post has been deleted, presumably because the errors were spotted, but for the benefit of anyone who may have seen it in passing – Richard Halliwell was a games designer, not a miniatures designer or mould maker, and sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. Just thought it was worth correcting the record on this.

Just as a point of interest, there was also a Richard Helliwell (with an E) working at GW at the same time. When I was there (late 80s/early 90s) I *think* he was working on catalogue production. Not sure what other stuff he did pre/post that.

Made in gb
Been Around the Block

dieselmonkey wrote:
Greenfield wrote:

It looks like this post has been deleted, presumably because the errors were spotted, but for the benefit of anyone who may have seen it in passing – Richard Halliwell was a games designer, not a miniatures designer or mould maker, and sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. Just thought it was worth correcting the record on this.

Just as a point of interest, there was also a Richard Helliwell (with an E) working at GW at the same time. When I was there (late 80s/early 90s) I *think* he was working on catalogue production. Not sure what other stuff he did pre/post that.

Indeed. Present-day GW staff even managed to confuse the two and used a picture of Richard Helliwell in their announcement of Richard Halliwell's death in White Dwarf.

Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: