Switch Theme:

Primaris Gamebreakors!!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Goose LeChance wrote:
His entire channel is an advert for GW fans who analyse what the most OP models are and then buy them.

He wouldn't be making or including units in his reviews that are considered bad then. If his channel was only ment for people who seek the best combo builds it would make no sense to talk about units which do not work or are sub par. People would skip it or worse not watch it at all.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Goose LeChance wrote:
You're only proving my point
Your point requires him shilling GW products to be true. I don't think he shills for anything. He's far too passive for that. He's like a verbal wikipedia for 40k rules. Saying he shills for GW is like saying Wikipedia shills for Marvel because they have pages for each of the MCU movies.

You're correct in that this video is very different to his other videos, but he's as non-committal on everything else in basically every other video. That's not necessarily a bad thing.




His latest video would suggest he's anything but neutral, and has been holding back his true opinion about the products he's been advertising. You're trying to characterise him as a neutral news source and I don't buy it.

I could be wrong and maybe he's been calling Primaris obvious cash grabs all along, I'm not gonna dig through every video to find out though.


cody.d. wrote:
Auspex Tactics is a content creator. He makes content to match his style and attitude. Question is, does he play in tournies? If that's a yes, then he's in no way shilling, just making vids about something he enjoys doing.

Now if he himself never even plays 40k then yeah, maybe the shilling remark could hold weight.


It's irrelevant if he goes to tournaments or not, it has no bearing on the act of shilling.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/07 07:06:12


 
   
Made in us
Water-Caste Negotiator




Les Etats Unis

Goose LeChance wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Goose LeChance wrote:
You're only proving my point
Your point requires him shilling GW products to be true. I don't think he shills for anything. He's far too passive for that. He's like a verbal wikipedia for 40k rules. Saying he shills for GW is like saying Wikipedia shills for Marvel because they have pages for each of the MCU movies.

You're correct in that this video is very different to his other videos, but he's as non-committal on everything else in basically every other video. That's not necessarily a bad thing.




His latest video would suggest he's anything but neutral, and has been holding back his true opinion about the products he's been advertising. You're trying to characterise him as a neutral news source and I don't buy it.

I could be wrong and maybe he's been calling Primaris obvious cash grabs all along, I'm not gonna dig through every video to find out though.


cody.d. wrote:
Auspex Tactics is a content creator. He makes content to match his style and attitude. Question is, does he play in tournies? If that's a yes, then he's in no way shilling, just making vids about something he enjoys doing.

Now if he himself never even plays 40k then yeah, maybe the shilling remark could hold weight.


It's irrelevant if he goes to tournaments or not, it has no bearing on the act of shilling.


Question: If I love American Football, and talk publicly about how the best teams are doing and what I predict is going to happen in the next season, does that mean I'm "shilling football?"
   
Made in gb
Tunneling Trygon






 Flipsiders wrote:

Question: If I love American Football, and talk publicly about how the best teams are doing and what I predict is going to happen in the next season, does that mean I'm "shilling football?"


Yes I'm afraid it does.

Now excuse me while I eat breakfast and await a massive cheque from Kelloggs
   
Made in us
Water-Caste Negotiator




Les Etats Unis

 xttz wrote:
 Flipsiders wrote:

Question: If I love American Football, and talk publicly about how the best teams are doing and what I predict is going to happen in the next season, does that mean I'm "shilling football?"


Yes I'm afraid it does.

Now excuse me while I eat breakfast and await a massive cheque from Kelloggs


It really does suck that my father has been shilling the NFL to me for decades and I never even realized it.
   
Made in us
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






He covers the competitive scene. Calling someone a shill simply because he doesn't want to be negative all the time is a bit extreme. (I mean, the word "shill" sorta loses all meaning if it goes from being unreasonably positive to merely not negative.)

That said, it is surprising to see something like this from him specifically because it is a jarring tonal shift. You can be cynical and say that he was neutral before and negative now due to self-interest, but you cannot deny that even in the microcosm of this thread, a negative attitude does not seem to win you many admirers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/07 07:52:40


 
   
Made in gb
Tunneling Trygon






 Suzuteo wrote:
He covers the competitive scene. Calling someone a shill simply because he doesn't want to be negative all the time is a bit extreme.


Very strong "if you're not with us you're against us" energy from people like Goose.

As everyone knows, all things are either Wholly Good or Wholly Bad. If you ever at any time discuss Bad Thing without condemning it's existence, you must be a supporter of Bad Thing!
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut



London

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
The sudden inclusion of stubber weapons on Marines has always struck me as very odd.

I think it's a good indicator of the design team making what they want and the rules people having to make them fit.


It is poor management of the design team.

It goes against entirely what you would hope would happen - Guard divest bolt weapons, get Las and stubber, marines get bolt weapons of all types. Now Bolt weapons appear more and more on guard and marines inexplicably get bolt weapons?
   
Made in it
Focused Fire Warrior





I had a good laugh watching the video, it's funny because it's true.


 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





The fact that some people thought that they looked like a real primaris unit, should give us pause in regards just how bad primaris design has gotten in many ways...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Khorne Dreadnought




 xttz wrote:
 Suzuteo wrote:
He covers the competitive scene. Calling someone a shill simply because he doesn't want to be negative all the time is a bit extreme.


Very strong "if you're not with us you're against us" energy from people like Goose.

As everyone knows, all things are either Wholly Good or Wholly Bad. If you ever at any time discuss Bad Thing without condemning it's existence, you must be a supporter of Bad Thing!


And heaven forbid you want to show off a sense of humour.
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

 Flipsiders wrote:

Question: If I love American Football, and talk publicly about how the best teams are doing and what I predict is going to happen in the next season, does that mean I'm "shilling football?"


Are you profiting off talking about football? Do you have ulterior motives for talking about and promoting football? Is it in your best interest not to be negative about football for monetary gain? Like possibly losing youtube and patreon subs?

and then to jump on a bandwagon when it's convenient, for clicks...

 Suzuteo wrote:


That said, it is surprising to see something like this from him specifically because it is a jarring tonal shift. You can be cynical and say that he was neutral before and negative now due to self-interest, but you cannot deny that even in the microcosm of this thread, a negative attitude does not seem to win you many admirers.


Exactly.

and some people confuse honesty with negativity.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/09/07 12:28:00


 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Wow, What a thread. Anyone even possibly consider the idea that the only motivation for this vid was to give people a good giggle??
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




Dudeface wrote:
 xttz wrote:
 Suzuteo wrote:
He covers the competitive scene. Calling someone a shill simply because he doesn't want to be negative all the time is a bit extreme.


Very strong "if you're not with us you're against us" energy from people like Goose.

As everyone knows, all things are either Wholly Good or Wholly Bad. If you ever at any time discuss Bad Thing without condemning it's existence, you must be a supporter of Bad Thing!


And heaven forbid you want to show off a sense of humour.


Humour is the most pure form of heresy... And its sooooooo... Last Millenium.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
princeyg wrote:
Wow, What a thread. Anyone even possibly consider the idea that the only motivation for this vid was to give people a good giggle??


Okham Razor is Heresy... There is always a hidden agenda to uncover.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/07 13:16:59


 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

Vatsetis wrote:
There is always a hidden agenda to uncover.


hmm

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/09/07 13:58:02


Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran






Accurately sums up what competitive W40K has done and continues to do to the game / hobby / community.

Mike Brandt = The new Matt Ward.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





This whole video was unfunny drivel. Hello, it's not 2019 and 8th edition anymore, SM are no longer any good, and seeing top 3 armies currently are harlequins, deldar, and admech, this would have any semblance to reality if it was Eldaris Gamebreakors. To make this gak even dumber, in last three years NOT A SINGLE primaris unit was in any way OP (if you squint hard you might point at pre-nerf eradicators, but even then quad las contemptor and melta attack bike were strictly better, just rare on tables because few people own them). Every single 'OP' unit SM recently fielded was squat, be it van vets, sang guard, DW termies, ravenwing, FW pay to win gak, smash jump/bike captains, sternguard, etc, etc, anyone sees anything primaris in here? Hell, GW largely destroyed the point of primaris by giving squats W2, an insane move if all you wanted was promotion of new models.

And the best part is, that shot his own foot by completely annihilating that joke of an ""argument"" showing reivers. Premier primaris unit that GW would love to sell more of, but their rules had always been terrible. It's like flat earther video showing globe then photo of earth from space not noticing it makes anything that come before it downright comical. The whole thing feels like rant of some salty 4chan troll who complains about his own strawman, not what is actually happening.

 Suzuteo wrote:
That said, it is surprising to see something like this from him specifically because it is a jarring tonal shift. You can be cynical and say that he was neutral before and negative now due to self-interest, but you cannot deny that even in the microcosm of this thread, a negative attitude does not seem to win you many admirers.

He did parrot 4chan nonsense before. It was just hard to spot because 95% of "content" he "makes" is copy-pasted from WarhammerCompetitive, place where people complain about rules, not models. It was hard to spot but it was there.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

So glad you're back...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/07 14:56:39


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in es
[DCM]
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor






your mind

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I've been watching his videos to clear up the gaps in my knowledge about 8th/9th.

Despite what people here have tried to argue, it's an immensely bloated and overloaded game, filled to the gills with multiple layers of rules piled on top of one another.

He's made that far easier to parse.


I love Auspex so much that I subscribe to his Onlyfans... you should too!

Oh, and by the way, "my hands hurt" -


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Aenar wrote:
I had a good laugh watching the video, it's funny because it's true.

this^^



Automatically Appended Next Post:
princeyg wrote:
Wow, What a thread. Anyone even possibly consider the idea that the only motivation for this vid was to give people a good giggle??

and this^^



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Auspex has always come across as entirely neutral. He's an information channel.

"Here is what's happening. I provide no opinion on this."

It might be the most passive 40k channel I've ever seen.

And I must agree with this^^
I like Auspex' stuff, genuinely - I find the videos well made, the narration clear and the analyses intelligent and useful to keep up with the game from the outside in... in this video, I see that even this guy can say enough is enough... maybe he is getting tired of the ridiculousness of it all.

And before anyone decides that this is a good time to write "but this is the nature of a corporation, to string customers along or to get them addicted to a release cycle or a media platform for profit", this is not true, never was true, and exists as a story made up by 'greed is good' parasites in the early 70s with disastrous results in every industry and every ecosystem on Earth... this hobby is just one example of how such an "ethos" gets things wrong.

In the end, good for Auspex! Smartest thing that I have seen on the Internet since... the paper on dissociable subsystems within the default mode network that I just finished reading, if that counts. Certainly the smartest 40k content that I have seen in video for a very long time, if it has a peer at all.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2021/09/07 15:19:33


   
Made in gb
Tunneling Trygon






Goose LeChance wrote:
some people confuse honesty with negativity.


So you're calling him a shill honestly, but not calling him names negatively?

I'm glad we could clear that up.
   
Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine




Plains World

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
The bundle deal with the Reivers was very funny.


Reivers make me miss the days when GW sold individual bits. Those helmets are primo.

princeyg wrote:
Wow, What a thread. Anyone even possibly consider the idea that the only motivation for this vid was to give people a good giggle??


Most people got that right away, but there are always a special few who don't. The best of the best of the best, SIR.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/07 16:05:16


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Irbis wrote:
And the best part is, that shot his own foot by completely annihilating that joke of an ""argument"" showing reivers. Premier primaris unit that GW would love to sell more of, but their rules had always been terrible. It's like flat earther video showing globe then photo of earth from space not noticing it makes anything that come before it downright comical. The whole thing feels like rant of some salty 4chan troll who complains about his own strawman, not what is actually happening.


I mean....
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Khorne Dreadnought




Tyel wrote:
 Irbis wrote:
And the best part is, that shot his own foot by completely annihilating that joke of an ""argument"" showing reivers. Premier primaris unit that GW would love to sell more of, but their rules had always been terrible. It's like flat earther video showing globe then photo of earth from space not noticing it makes anything that come before it downright comical. The whole thing feels like rant of some salty 4chan troll who complains about his own strawman, not what is actually happening.


I mean....


People always say British sarcasm based humour doesn't translate well, we have evidence now.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Tyel wrote:
I mean....
Right?

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine




Plains World

 Suzuteo wrote:
He covers the competitive scene. Calling someone a shill simply because he doesn't want to be negative all the time is a bit extreme. (I mean, the word "shill" sorta loses all meaning if it goes from being unreasonably positive to merely not negative.)

That said, it is surprising to see something like this from him specifically because it is a jarring tonal shift. You can be cynical and say that he was neutral before and negative now due to self-interest, but you cannot deny that even in the microcosm of this thread, a negative attitude does not seem to win you many admirers.


Auspex is great. He's so fast on every topic and has a very balanced way of reporting.

It certainly is a tonal shift but I think he pulls it off without being mean or overly negative. Feels like he just wanted to have some fun.

Seems like people enjoy his video too, because it's got massively more viewers than any of his other recent stuff.
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




 phandaal wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
The bundle deal with the Reivers was very funny.


Reivers make me miss the days when GW sold individual bits. Those helmets are primo.

princeyg wrote:
Wow, What a thread. Anyone even possibly consider the idea that the only motivation for this vid was to give people a good giggle??


Most people got that right away, but there are always a special few who don't. The best of the best of the best, SIR.


Dont mock those people... its scientifically proven they have 10 times more chances than you do of being a CEO or reaching a high Political position... and if we are ever put in the trenches you and I will be literally mad after just a few days of constant shelling while the chosen ones wont even notice... those are certainly very valuable habilities
   
Made in us
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






 phandaal wrote:
Seems like people enjoy his video too, because it's got massively more viewers than any of his other recent stuff.

Given how many 40K channels got nuked off Youtube recently, I guess we're all thirsty for content.
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran





 Irbis wrote:


And the best part is, that shot his own foot by completely annihilating that joke of an ""argument"" showing reivers. Premier primaris unit that GW would love to sell more of, but their rules had always been terrible. It's like flat earther video showing globe then photo of earth from space not noticing it makes anything that come before it downright comical. The whole thing feels like rant of some salty 4chan troll who complains about his own strawman, not what is actually happening.


That's the point. The premise of that particular sketch is that GW is bundling terrible units with the OP stuff to get them off the shelves.
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

 phandaal wrote:

Seems like people enjoy his video too, because it's got massively more viewers than any of his other recent stuff.


Yeah who could have seen that coming?

Now that he's mined the youtube algorithms he can go back to shilling the latest products to consume

Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
Made in us
Water-Caste Negotiator




Les Etats Unis

Goose LeChance wrote:
 Flipsiders wrote:

Question: If I love American Football, and talk publicly about how the best teams are doing and what I predict is going to happen in the next season, does that mean I'm "shilling football?"


Are you profiting off talking about football? Do you have ulterior motives for talking about and promoting football? Is it in your best interest not to be negative about football for monetary gain? Like possibly losing youtube and patreon subs?

and then to jump on a bandwagon when it's convenient, for clicks...


I was so hoping you would say this.

Tell me, how would profiting off of your opinions prove that you're a shill? The whole idea of "shilling" is being rewarded for your actions, whether by being directly paid by the entity you're shilling, receiving some variety of favor or goodwill (like a Star Wars fan channel getting press tickets to an event), or simply taking pleasure in the fact that you're pleasing your corporate overlords. The funny part is, using YouTube as a source of income flies in the face of all of these motivations. Unless you believe that GW is paying off Auspex Tactics in the back room, he, if anything, should be mentioning and heavily critiquing every controversy which GW find themselves embroiled in, because people have known from the days of TMZ that controversy gets views, and views get cash. This entire argument is backwards to a comic extent.

The other answer you imply is that Auspex Tactics is preaching to a choir of GW fans who would get mad at him and leave if he ever criticized the company. Let's ignore for a second the fact that this hasn't seemed to happen so far. If one assumes that these fans exist, would it not be more likely that Auspex Tactics is simply one of their number who has slightly different opinions about Primaris releases? Is it possible, by any chance, that all of these YouTube videos feature his actual opinions and that he isn't trying to fool anybody, but rather didn't care about the exact same controversies that other people did? Even that isn't necessarily the case, because I know the guy made a video on TTS' cancellation and I'm pretty sure he also did one on the new Plague Marine weapon rules, which were both subtly negative if not directly critical of Games Workshop.

I'm not married to the Auspex Tactics channel by any means; competitive Warhammer really isn't' my thing. I just don't see how it's possible to call someone a shill over a low-effort parody video. However, you can ignore my opinions if you like, since I'm sure that I'm actually just a huge shill for Auspex Tactics and am secretly his number one Patreon donor or whatever.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: