Switch Theme:

SOB variety  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




Tacoma, WA, USA

The 9th Edition Codex has a two page spread on Orders Minoris, along with two pages of rules for Orders Minoris Convictions. They most definitely still exist.

In fact, the Order of the Golden Light, including artwork of a Sister in golden armor, is one of the six Orders Minoris in the codex. Did you know the entire order has been confirmed martyred twice and yet showed up in a nearby warzone? There is no record in the Schola Progenium of them recruiting new members. Is the entire order martyrs resurrected to fight on in the name of the Emperor?
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 alextroy wrote:
The 9th Edition Codex has a two page spread on Orders Minoris, along with two pages of rules for Orders Minoris Convictions. They most definitely still exist.

In fact, the Order of the Golden Light, including artwork of a Sister in golden armor, is one of the six Orders Minoris in the codex. Did you know the entire order has been confirmed martyred twice and yet showed up in a nearby warzone? There is no record in the Schola Progenium of them recruiting new members. Is the entire order martyrs resurrected to fight on in the name of the Emperor?


Oh that's really cool!

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Gold armour also probably sticks in the brain due to Celestine and the Gemini Twins.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

For what it's worth the Marvel comic has sisters with all sorts of hair styles and looks.

Obviously it's so the readers (and artist) can tell the characters apart but if you want an example...

 
   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter




Can anyone confirm something for me? Can you use pewter molds on plastic minis? Because I'm betting one of the reasons we don't see much variation, is due to the fact that GW only released plastic sisters roughly 2-3 years (?) ago, and they haven't spent much on building up the faction's base. But it was easily one of the best selling lines in 8th, and is still selling very well in 9th, so I hope to see a lot more variation in the future. Sisters raised on an ice planet that wear a lot of furs, or a sister convent from a Hive, that has a lot of non-standard iconography. That sort of thing.
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

FezzikDaBullgryn wrote:
Can anyone confirm something for me? Can you use pewter molds on plastic minis? Because I'm betting one of the reasons we don't see much variation, is due to the fact that GW only released plastic sisters roughly 2-3 years (?) ago, and they haven't spent much on building up the faction's base. But it was easily one of the best selling lines in 8th, and is still selling very well in 9th, so I hope to see a lot more variation in the future. Sisters raised on an ice planet that wear a lot of furs, or a sister convent from a Hive, that has a lot of non-standard iconography. That sort of thing.


As I understand it no: resin, metal and plastic all need their own unique molds. Finecast was interesting because it could use molds for metal, but well... we all know how that worked out.

As for your question, anyone with a bitz box can do it now and make a Wolf Sister or Skull Sister or whatever just by adding the right bits. GW probably will not make something like that (maybe a one off character) unless Sisters become such a hit they can justify multiple miniature lines like Marines, Chaos or Guard. Since Eldar, Orks, Adeptus Mech and most other factions don't have sub faction miniatures I doubt sisters will.

 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






^Eldar at least have DE and Harlequins for variation. They had the FW Corsair army too, for a while. But over the years they've also managed to have far more releases/codexes for just Craftworlds over Sisters as well. Sisters are very low on the totem pole of attention, historically.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Insectum7 wrote:
^Eldar at least have DE and Harlequins for variation. They had the FW Corsair army too, for a while. But over the years they've also managed to have far more releases/codexes for just Craftworlds over Sisters as well. Sisters are very low on the totem pole of attention, historically.


Those are separate armies, it would be like releasing Sister of Chaos or something. I think the question here is whether there's a Sisters equivalent of variant like Ultramarines vs Space Wolves.

It's certainly doable with a big bitz box or 3d printer. Any SW player should have enough furs and wolf skulls and such to outfit the Daughters of Russ or whatever.

I doubt GW will make variant SoB armies (but who knows, maybe there will be a FW separate head set or something) but I think fluff-wise people are find swapping in Escher heads to make punk sisters or some other variation.

 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
 Insectum7 wrote:
^Eldar at least have DE and Harlequins for variation. They had the FW Corsair army too, for a while. But over the years they've also managed to have far more releases/codexes for just Craftworlds over Sisters as well. Sisters are very low on the totem pole of attention, historically.


Those are separate armies . . .

So are UM and SW

I think the question here is whether there's a Sisters equivalent of variant like Ultramarines vs Space Wolves.
Sure.

My take on the overarching question is more like the differences between SW and UM are only apparent because GW spends time talking about them and making models for them. I'd think it would be only natural that Sisters, CWE, etc. all would have variations within them that could constitute their own books if GW felt like it'd be a worthwhile thing to do. Like, we know Orks have different clans and subcultures and outfits, etc. And they've had separate army lists in the past to express this (Speed Freaks). It's just that attention is showered unto Marines, so it's all spelled out in detail for us, even when the details are very minor. Eg: "These Space Marine Captains are called Wolf Lords."


And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





FezzikDaBullgryn wrote:
Can anyone confirm something for me? Can you use pewter molds on plastic minis? Because I'm betting one of the reasons we don't see much variation, is due to the fact that GW only released plastic sisters roughly 2-3 years (?) ago, and they haven't spent much on building up the faction's base. But it was easily one of the best selling lines in 8th, and is still selling very well in 9th, so I hope to see a lot more variation in the future. Sisters raised on an ice planet that wear a lot of furs, or a sister convent from a Hive, that has a lot of non-standard iconography. That sort of thing.


In theory you can pour resin into molds made for pewter casting. Resin goes in liquid and at room temperature, and doesn't generate enough heat while curing to damage a mol built for liquid pewter. This is how we got finecast models; and as the legacy of finecast shows, it's a dodgy process at best.

Plastic is cast using injection molding, which combines high temperatures and high pressure inside the mold. The semi-liquid plastic get squirted into the mold under pressure rather than being gravity-poured or spun. Injection molds are a whole different beast from "pour molds" like resin or pewter.
   
Made in es
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain




Vigo. Spain.

 Insectum7 wrote:
 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
 Insectum7 wrote:
^Eldar at least have DE and Harlequins for variation. They had the FW Corsair army too, for a while. But over the years they've also managed to have far more releases/codexes for just Craftworlds over Sisters as well. Sisters are very low on the totem pole of attention, historically.


Those are separate armies . . .

So are UM and SW

I think the question here is whether there's a Sisters equivalent of variant like Ultramarines vs Space Wolves.
Sure.

My take on the overarching question is more like the differences between SW and UM are only apparent because GW spends time talking about them and making models for them. I'd think it would be only natural that Sisters, CWE, etc. all would have variations within them that could constitute their own books if GW felt like it'd be a worthwhile thing to do. Like, we know Orks have different clans and subcultures and outfits, etc. And they've had separate army lists in the past to express this (Speed Freaks). It's just that attention is showered unto Marines, so it's all spelled out in detail for us, even when the details are very minor. Eg: "These Space Marine Captains are called Wolf Lords."



Yeah we all knew orks have variety and stuff but until recently (or so Old I don't know it) they didn't had models.
But for example now you have normal boyz and snagga boyz that are basically normal boyz for "feral" orks. Like tacticals and grey hunters.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter




It would be very easy to change the aesthetic of sister models without changing the lore. Look at Repentia sister squads, or that giant walker of torture thing they have. Both have had numerous changes and I think that's great. Changing the Repentia to a less "Male gaze" style model was a good thing. Now what if we had some models that instead of Power armor and gothic iconography, we had something else?
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: