Switch Theme:

In your honest opionon, how much should comission sculpting cost?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Cost
5-10
10-20
20-50
50-100
100+

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in de
Dakka Veteran





Bayonet&Ricochet wrote:

So what are your thoughts on commission rates? How much do you think is a reasonable price?


I'd say not less than 30$/h for a trained professional, with incremental increases depending on quality and availability. The latter might not even be that relevant for the best, as people are willing to wait for quality. As a related example, I've contacted painting services in the past, which were highly regarded due to their exceptional quality. I found that several were booked for months or even years, and they were by far the most expensive ones, so people were willing to spend that kind of money and wait half a year as well, because the quality was worth the expense and inconvenience.

I have also commissioned 3D sculpts in the past and while artists generally give a flat price to advertise their services, the final price was usually agreed upon after talking details. Things like revisions and alternate parts need to be considered as they incur extra work, and I'm ready to honour that as a customer. Problem with hourly rates is that I have no way of tracking your work time, so a flat rate or a price range is a useful method for me to avoid surprises or outright scams. If you are an expert in your field, I expect you to be able to gauge time spent in advance, at least approximately.









This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/16 15:39:00


 
   
Made in ua
Regular Dakkanaut




Cananda

 BertBert wrote:
Bayonet&Ricochet wrote:

So what are your thoughts on commission rates? How much do you think is a reasonable price?


I'd say not less than 30$/h for a trained professional, with incremental increases depending on quality and availability. The latter might not even be that relevant for the best, as people are willing to wait for quality. As a related example, I've contacted painting services in the past, which were highly regarded due to their exceptional quality. I found that several were booked for months or even years, and they were by far the most expensive ones, so people were willing to spend that kind of money and wait half a year as well, because the quality was worth the expense and inconvenience.

I have also commissioned 3D sculpts in the past and while artists generally give a flat price to advertise their services, the final price was usually agreed upon after talking details. Things like revisions and alternate parts need to be considered as they incur extra work, and I'm ready to honour that as a customer. Problem with hourly rates is that I have no way of tracking your work time, so a flat rate or a price range is a useful method for me to avoid surprises or outright scams. If you are an expert in your field, I expect you to be able to gauge time spent in advance, at least approximately.











I have an advantage here i record my work live on Twitch and make a copy of videos. But a quote is essentially an estimation based on how long something will take. I usually give an estimated value . Today I received a message from someone called "Snoopy" who has zero post counts that doesn't seem like a legitimate customer.

But this is generally how I word my messages

I'd love to help

however, I won't be able to print off anything until late November as my 3D printer broke and needed to be replaced. The Mega 8 K printer won't be here until sometime in November or possibly later.

If you have some images of what you're looking for it would help immensely.

My rates are *% CAD an hour that's %#^USD.

I'll offer you a slight discount so )%*#USD an hour to sculpt.

It should take me roughly about two hours to do the job. I can let you know if it takes longer. But I don't expect it will so I will cap it at !#$USD for the job if it goes over two hours.

And I think about $%$ for the print is a fair price for 10 legs. As for shipping well, I'd have to look that up but I don't it would be more than %^

so total %^$ USD for the job give or take a bit.




This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/10/16 16:00:25


 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran





Looks perfectly reasonable to me, so the lack of information is probably not the reason for people ghosting you. I'd imagine that a lot of people asking for a quote are hobbyists who don't have a large budget available and when they are confronted with a quote that is well beyond what they imagined, they might be ashamed to admit it. I've had this problem in the past, too, but I've come to the realization that it's only fair to at least let people know you aren't interested.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/10/16 16:04:02


 
   
Made in ua
Regular Dakkanaut




Cananda

 BertBert wrote:
Looks perfectly reasonable to me, so the lack of information is probably not the reason for people ghosting you. I'd imagine that a lot of people asking for a quote are hobbyists who don't have a large budget available and when they are confronted with a quote that is well beyond what they imagined, they might be ashamed to admit it.


I have a medium rate and I can't really afford to work for less. What I find disturbing however is someone would potentially create an account just to Snoop on someone "prove" I'm overcharging. I generally undercharge and offer discounts.

DakkaDakka is a werid website.

Anyways I agree it's likely people underestimate what it costs. I assume they think it's very low akin to buying a pre-sculpted model on Thingiverse. Which isn't always cheap, I think some pre-rigged models go for 200$ or more.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/10/16 16:08:22


 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran





Bayonet&Ricochet wrote:
 BertBert wrote:
Looks perfectly reasonable to me, so the lack of information is probably not the reason for people ghosting you. I'd imagine that a lot of people asking for a quote are hobbyists who don't have a large budget available and when they are confronted with a quote that is well beyond what they imagined, they might be ashamed to admit it.


I have a medium rate and I can't really afford to work for less. What I find disturbing however is someone would potentially create an account just to Snoop on someone "prove" I'm overcharging. I generally undercharge and offer discounts.

DakkaDakka is a werid website.


That wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've read here, but it's also nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things. Coming to terms with what a commission costs can be difficult for people, especially if they are used to buying a detailed character model for 20-30 USD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/16 16:14:48


 
   
Made in ua
Regular Dakkanaut




Cananda

 BertBert wrote:
Bayonet&Ricochet wrote:
 BertBert wrote:
Looks perfectly reasonable to me, so the lack of information is probably not the reason for people ghosting you. I'd imagine that a lot of people asking for a quote are hobbyists who don't have a large budget available and when they are confronted with a quote that is well beyond what they imagined, they might be ashamed to admit it.


I have a medium rate and I can't really afford to work for less. What I find disturbing however is someone would potentially create an account just to Snoop on someone "prove" I'm overcharging. I generally undercharge and offer discounts.

DakkaDakka is a werid website.


That wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've read here, but it's also nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things. Coming to terms with what a commission costs can be difficult for people, especially if they are used to buying a detailed character model for 20-30 USD.


It seems odd that's it not expected. A lot of nerds, geeks and gamers have attempted to hire sketch artists at one point in their life to draw something for a D&D campaign or website game avatar etc. I suppose there are outliers, people that generally don't really understand what things cost.

I do think that the market for commission work has gone completely wacky however and people's entitlement to your time is going through the roof. The cost of living goes up the cost of skilled workers should be expected to rise with it. 15 an hour USD isn't considered a living wage that's a little subjective of course.

3D modelling with any skill requires hundreds if not thousands of dollars in equipment, school in some cases, and years to master. 3D sculpting miniatures for the table to is equally in its own right a highly specialized skill set. It's not a 1:1 scale it requires being able to understand anatomy sculpting or organic sculpting and then extrapolate.

Generally speaking, I think people heavily undervalue the work Sculptors do and I fear it has a lot to do with Patreon. I do historical miniatures or mostly historical miniatures that requires even more study




Automatically Appended Next Post:

In reply to GoldenHorde's post below since he's been ignored, and no longer can reply to his idiocy.

"Seek professional help."

You first bud. Utter clown shoe. Go back to your safe space. Is that "unpacked" enough for you?

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2021/10/16 17:51:25


 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

Considering how much vitriol you spew?

I wouldn’t hire you. Ever.

Overread has been perfectly polite, and this isn’t the first thread I’ve seen you belittling and being rude to others for honest thoughts, presented politely. I’d rather work with an artist I like and who has a good portfolio to share than someone like you.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Bayonet&Ricochet wrote:
Generally speaking, I think people heavily undervalue the work Sculptors do and I fear it has a lot to do with Patreon. I do historical miniatures or mostly historical miniatures that requires even more study

In general, people undervalue everything that's not their job, and sometime even that. For example, right now, how much do you think a localizator (that's the actually correct term for translator) should be paid? I'll tell you right now, whatever you say is probably way lower than it should.

I've been translating RPGs for hire for 15 years now, and the rates are abismal, but still people think we are swimming in gold. Well, some people at least. Some of the quotes I've been given for people asking to hire me were difficult not to utterly laugh at, but that's life for you. You just politely tell them you're not interested and move on.

And then I've done some other books well under my go rate, just because I was a fan of the book and wanted people to be able to read it and play it in spanish. That, too, is life for you.

As a last point, $15 an hour is actually like half more than the average wage here in Spain. Not minimum wage, average.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/16 18:25:09


 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




Cananda

 JNAProductions wrote:
Considering how much vitriol you spew?

I wouldn’t hire you. Ever.

Overread has been perfectly polite, and this isn’t the first thread I’ve seen you belittling and being rude to others for honest thoughts, presented politely. I’d rather work with an artist I like and who has a good portfolio to share than someone like you.


kiss my ass bud. Overread started out being a jerk-off. Yes I generally respond to jackasses in kind who treat me like gak. Particularly when they condescend or talk down to others and tell them how to behave. There's no reason for you to respond other than you starting more gak.

I only ever respond to jackasses who outright attack or belittle me first. And I've only EVER done so in reaction to TERRIBLE PEOPLE who attack first. EVERY SINGLE TIME they act like a fool then I respond. I don't agree with everything and it's not a fething insult, but people are so god damned soft they take disagreement as if I kicked a puppy, carved up and wore it as a hat and declared genocide to all kittens.

. It's actually kind of personal law with me. I don't seek out fights, but I'm not afraid of fething words and will put a clown in his place. If Overread is too stupid to read and can't take a hint that's his problem. The piece of crap came in swinging. Could not take a hint a would not stop talking when he was corrected for being a fething moron. I'm not rude to people that don't attack me or condescended but if you do I don't give a gak at about your feelings. You attack me I respond in kind. If you condensed like a jack ass I respond to you in kind.. Overread wasn't polite. You Virtue signalling ass wipe. If anyone has ever had a problem with me at all it's because they started gak or are a straight-up nancy boy, not the other way around. Go back to your safe space clown

If you're upset that's a you thing grow up. It's not like you soft over sensitive clowns are my customer base anyways.

Look at Albertorius. We've had words before they're being respectful didn't condescend wasn't being a jack ass. In fact, I respect the Albertorius a lot more than when I first interacted with them.
He's not pushing his points and can take disagreement. Solid person. Respectful doesn't push points on others, makes reasoned responses, understands boundaries. A champ. Albertorius earned my respect. I may not have their respect. But they're behaving in a civil way and not like a college simp defending a thot.

This message was edited 15 times. Last update was at 2021/10/16 19:01:36


 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

If you perceived Overread as being a jerk, you are very sensitive. They have an honest, polite answer to the question you asked.

And, having worked customer service for years-If you want to retain business, you can’t hit back. Doesn’t mean you have to pander to jerks, but you can’t be a jerk yourself.

I know you’re going to ignore this advice, and frankly, I don’t really care. But maybe someone else will understand it, and it’ll help them.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




Cananda

 JNAProductions wrote:
If you perceived Overread as being a jerk, you are very sensitive. They have an honest, polite answer to the question you asked.

And, having worked customer service for years-If you want to retain business, you can’t hit back. Doesn’t mean you have to pander to jerks, but you can’t be a jerk yourself.

I know you’re going to ignore this advice, and frankly, I don’t really care. But maybe someone else will understand it, and it’ll help them.


"If you perceived Overread as being a jerk, you are very sensitive" No I correctly told the person calling me a liar a piece of crap for being a gak head. You don't get that? Is it really " polite " of him to do so. You clowns hide behind your soft language all the damn time. It's insidious actually. You call coy, effeminate subversive catty behaviour polite. Talk down to people who speak directly. That was my problem with Overread. Just because he's "polite" does not make it any less of being a condescending gak.

"They have an honest, polite answer to the question you asked"- you're either not self-aware or a damned liar, or can't read. And I only became hostile after continued condescension and his inability to hear fething no. I have a line and when someone implies that I'm a lying donkey-cave I tend to draw that line in the sand. His points we're idiotic. I proved all of his points wrong as respectfully as I could to a person being a clown. And he should have stopped. He didn't he pressed on talking over me. I responded in kind.

Stop defending people that deliberately attack others because you perceive it as acceptable behaviour , when in reality it's n contrived social etiquette, it's still him being a jackass. I didn't grow up in a socialist country and I'm getting tired of this "polite" crap Being COY isn't polite it's being a prick. And you simps only ever have a problem with it when people speak plainly at you. But because it's "polite" it makes it okay. It's not okay the hell is wrong with you?

Men can disagree and it's not rude to do so. I disagreed with a piece of crap calling me a liar. Who went in calling me a liar. And he did so with the thin veneer of "politeness" I don't know where you're from but where I'm from people get punched in the mouth for less. That's not a threat. It's an observation of differing cultures. So I don't understand your fake social code, that's entirely made up. What makes someone calling someone else a liar "polite"? I'd like to know. Jack ass

"Literally boils down to him saying you don't have a portfolio or work to show". And me saying for the tenth time "I have a portfolio and I'm already getting paid already. And I don't appreciate your condescension or implying things about my character" And at that point, he should have backed off or clued in.

It's sad that you can't read.

You don't have advice bud. You can't even stay the hell out of issues you have no reason to get involved in you're a god damned busy body. Simp harder


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Albertorius wrote:
Bayonet&Ricochet wrote:
Generally speaking, I think people heavily undervalue the work Sculptors do and I fear it has a lot to do with Patreon. I do historical miniatures or mostly historical miniatures that requires even more study

In general, people undervalue everything that's not their job, and sometime even that. For example, right now, how much do you think a localizator (that's the actually correct term for translator) should be paid? I'll tell you right now, whatever you say is probably way lower than it should.

I've been translating RPGs for hire for 15 years now, and the rates are abismal, but still people think we are swimming in gold. Well, some people at least. Some of the quotes I've been given for people asking to hire me were difficult not to utterly laugh at, but that's life for you. You just politely tell them you're not interested and move on.

And then I've done some other books well under my go rate, just because I was a fan of the book and wanted people to be able to read it and play it in spanish. That, too, is life for you.

As a last point, $15 an hour is actually like half more than the average wage here in Spain. Not minimum wage, average.


Sorry to hear that. Also cool job I love languages. I imagine the cost of living in Spain is somewhat lower than in Canada. But I could be wrong. And agreed you turn down jobs that don't meet your minimum expectations. Sometimes you have to tighten your belt, or move on.

This message was edited 16 times. Last update was at 2021/10/16 19:49:09


 
   
Made in au
Indescriminate Explicator





Newcastle NSW

Your asking for a reasonable commission price but for what size job? a 1/48 scale rifle is going to be a lot cheaper than say a 1/10 scale dragon

The Four Winds Tribe has returned to claim the Underhive for House Escher


Deathwatch Kill Team: W9 D0 L2
 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




Cananda

 Rolsheen wrote:
Your asking for a reasonable commission price but for what size job? a 1/48 scale rifle is going to be a lot cheaper than say a 1/10 scale dragon


That's correct I generally quote estimates based on the perceived length and complexity of the job. That's roughly why the polls are based on hours USD worked.

 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

I'm locking this due to continued inappropriate behaviour.

I would suggest that if you are not willing to hear other peoples' opinions, don't go on a public forum and ask for them.

Moving on.

 
   
 
Forum Index » 3D Printing and Digital Modeling
Go to: