Switch Theme:

Will there ever be another Epic 40k?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




South New Jersey

I'll echo what others have said.

Epic doesn't need to come back because it already exists. NetEpic Gold and NetEpic Armageddon are perfectly functional rules that are still being tweaked. The same goes for Warmaster with Warmaster: Revolution.

You can find plenty of proxy models out there, and as 3D printers and printing services become more affordable there's going to be even more options.

If there are any obstacles, it's the all-in-one attitude that GW drills into its costumer base. Do a little digital legwork and you'll find (practically) endless options.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/19 15:58:45


   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

ccs wrote:
 Strg Alt wrote:
Anybody wanting to play Epic should try Drop fleet Commander.


Why? Part of the draw of Epic is playing with the Titans. Last I checked there was nothing of the sort in Drop Fleet. Besides, didn't they split that game in two? Fleet being all spaceships ala BFG & Drop Zone Commander being the tanks & stuff (still no Titans).


Dropfleet and Dropzone are two separate games and always have been, there was no "split". Thats like saying that BFG was split from Epic.

Dropzone has fairly large units that would be comparable in size to a Reaver or a Warbringer titan, and they have even larger units that would be Warlord or Warmaster size (potentially larger) coming soon in the form of Behemoths.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





Why? Because Dropfleet is alive and Epic discontinued.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

chaos0xomega wrote:
ccs wrote:
 Strg Alt wrote:
Anybody wanting to play Epic should try Drop fleet Commander.


Why? Part of the draw of Epic is playing with the Titans. Last I checked there was nothing of the sort in Drop Fleet. Besides, didn't they split that game in two? Fleet being all spaceships ala BFG & Drop Zone Commander being the tanks & stuff (still no Titans).


Dropfleet and Dropzone are two separate games and always have been, there was no "split". Thats like saying that BFG was split from Epic.

Dropzone has fairly large units that would be comparable in size to a Reaver or a Warbringer titan, and they have even larger units that would be Warlord or Warmaster size (potentially larger) coming soon in the form of Behemoths.


So my basic point stands? If you want something Titan-like you don't want to play Drop Fleet.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Crimson wrote:
I feel Battlefleet Gothic would have been far more interesting to bring back, as that is something far more different.
I think this is where GW should head as well.

Epic had its time, and the last big push GW gave it caused it to fall flat on its face (Epic Armageddon made it better, but by then the damage was long done).

I would like it if some Epic units made the transition to 40k, specifically the Tyranid Dactylis and Malefactor. They gave me my precious Exocrine finally, but still waiting on that Dactylis.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/20 04:16:55


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Strg Alt wrote:
Why? Because Dropfleet is alive and Epic discontinued.


Epic is very much alive and doing well. There are active forums, Discord and Facebook groups with thousands of participants as well as a healthy tournament circuit in UK, France, Australia and Canada at least. There are multiple constantly developed variants like EpicUK, EpicAU, NetEpic Gold and Palladium and so on, as well as entirely new projects like Imperius Dominatus. I've been playing E: Armageddon actively for some time here in Finland while never encountering Dropfleet beyond some acquintances' painting projects.

Getting armies is trivially easy, be it old GW stuff from flea markets, 3D printing or the thriving third party environment with names like Vanguard, Trolls and Onslaught offering broad ranges of compatible miniatures.


#ConvertEverything blog with loyalist Death Guard in true and Epic scales. Also Titans and killer robots! C&C welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/717557.page 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Sherrypie wrote:
 Strg Alt wrote:
Why? Because Dropfleet is alive and Epic discontinued.


Epic is very much alive and doing well. There are active forums, Discord and Facebook groups with thousands of participants as well as a healthy tournament circuit in UK, France, Australia and Canada at least. There are multiple constantly developed variants like EpicUK, EpicAU, NetEpic Gold and Palladium and so on, as well as entirely new projects like Imperius Dominatus. I've been playing E: Armageddon actively for some time here in Finland while never encountering Dropfleet beyond some acquintances' painting projects.

Getting armies is trivially easy, be it old GW stuff from flea markets, 3D printing or the thriving third party environment with names like Vanguard, Trolls and Onslaught offering broad ranges of compatible miniatures.



"Getting minis is easy. "

No, it's not. Good luck with the flea markets and the vast majority of new players won't buy a resin printer to be able to play a game.

I am seriously considering Dropzone Commander. GW dropped the ball with Epic like they did with BB in the past.
   
Made in gb
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






Must’ve dreamt all those 3rd party Epic minis then…

Silly me.



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut






Yes, yes it is. You don't need a printer yourself when printing services and other hobbyists exist nor do you even have to go that route, as third parties exist. Have a look at Vanguard Miniatures 6 mm ranges, for example. Excellent metal casts, no further than normal online purchase away. Heck, Titanicus and Aeronautica models can provide you an army if you want pure GW stuff.

Epic communities are thriving. If your gaming doesn't need official stamps of officialness to get played, it's easy to get full armies in your hands. Just like Blood Bowl: games so good they always had players despite GW dropping them.

#ConvertEverything blog with loyalist Death Guard in true and Epic scales. Also Titans and killer robots! C&C welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/717557.page 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

Speaking of, who carries plastic epic-style bases?

   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut



Birmingham, UK

Vanguard miniatures, for one!
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





Just had a look at Vanguard minis page. Apart from Tau pics in 6mm and a few bits of other 6mm stuff there wasn't anything presented. Like on a flea market.

My decision still stands. Should I ever go back to Epic it will be by playing DFC. A few months ago I saw a couple of battle reports on youtube. Nice game and the rules weren't so disappointing like the stuff GW churns out today.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

There's also Onslaught minis. I think you need to go into the shop. Vanguard has two different types of bases too...(I'm buying some!)

   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

ccs wrote:
chaos0xomega wrote:
ccs wrote:
 Strg Alt wrote:
Anybody wanting to play Epic should try Drop fleet Commander.


Why? Part of the draw of Epic is playing with the Titans. Last I checked there was nothing of the sort in Drop Fleet. Besides, didn't they split that game in two? Fleet being all spaceships ala BFG & Drop Zone Commander being the tanks & stuff (still no Titans).


Dropfleet and Dropzone are two separate games and always have been, there was no "split". Thats like saying that BFG was split from Epic.

Dropzone has fairly large units that would be comparable in size to a Reaver or a Warbringer titan, and they have even larger units that would be Warlord or Warmaster size (potentially larger) coming soon in the form of Behemoths.


So my basic point stands? If you want something Titan-like you don't want to play Drop Fleet.


Its pretty frickin' obvious that whoever made the suggestion meant Dropzone Commander rather than Dropfleet Commander.


This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in se
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets





Sweden

 Strg Alt wrote:
Just had a look at Vanguard minis page. Apart from Tau pics in 6mm and a few bits of other 6mm stuff there wasn't anything presented. Like on a flea market.

My decision still stands. Should I ever go back to Epic it will be by playing DFC. A few months ago I saw a couple of battle reports on youtube. Nice game and the rules weren't so disappointing like the stuff GW churns out today.


Are you looking at the same vanguard as me? Go to their subcategory "defeat in detail" for loads of epic stuff. Mainly Marines, chaos, eldar and orks.

I had no idea they even have tau stuff, where did you find that?

Brutal, but kunning!  
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






Gitdakka wrote:
 Strg Alt wrote:
Just had a look at Vanguard minis page. Apart from Tau pics in 6mm and a few bits of other 6mm stuff there wasn't anything presented. Like on a flea market.

My decision still stands. Should I ever go back to Epic it will be by playing DFC. A few months ago I saw a couple of battle reports on youtube. Nice game and the rules weren't so disappointing like the stuff GW churns out today.


Are you looking at the same vanguard as me? Go to their subcategory "defeat in detail" for loads of epic stuff. Mainly Marines, chaos, eldar and orks.

I had no idea they even have tau stuff, where did you find that?


They don't. It's Onslaught minis that do the not-Tau.



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Strg Alt wrote:
Just had a look at Vanguard minis page. Apart from Tau pics in 6mm and a few bits of other 6mm stuff there wasn't anything presented. Like on a flea market.

My decision still stands. Should I ever go back to Epic it will be by playing DFC. A few months ago I saw a couple of battle reports on youtube. Nice game and the rules weren't so disappointing like the stuff GW churns out today.


https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/product-category/defeat-in-detail-6mm/

Extensive ranges for Mechanicus, Marines, Guard, Orks, Eldar, Chaos, Sisters, now starting with Necrons as well... and that's just one supplier.

I mean, you can for some reason clam up and refuse reality, while I and many others have multiple large armies already (including hundreds of flea market miniatures, yes). Don't know why you'd do that, but sure. DFC might be a nice game and all, but that doesn't have anything to do with you being utterly wrong on the model front.

#ConvertEverything blog with loyalist Death Guard in true and Epic scales. Also Titans and killer robots! C&C welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/717557.page 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Cardiff

No way will they bother remaking Epic again. Bigger models is their current schtick, not smaller.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Sherrypie wrote:
 Kcalehc wrote:
Maybe.

I'd prefer an Epic scale WHFB though - that'd be truly epic!


Warmaster is undergoing a resurrection in the community right now, as previously mentioned. Good system, too.


I’d question a widespread ‘resurrection’. I’ve never seen anyone play that game ever, and I was around for the original. If you mean bored people with 3D printers are cranking out 15mm sculpts then that’s different. More a niche interest than a resurrection.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/20 18:16:54


 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





Tau on Vanguard:

https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/gallery/onslaught-gallery/
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut






 JohnnyHell wrote:
No way will they bother remaking Epic again. Bigger models is their current schtick, not smaller.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Sherrypie wrote:
 Kcalehc wrote:
Maybe.

I'd prefer an Epic scale WHFB though - that'd be truly epic!


Warmaster is undergoing a resurrection in the community right now, as previously mentioned. Good system, too.


I’d question a widespread ‘resurrection’. I’ve never seen anyone play that game ever, and I was around for the original. If you mean bored people with 3D printers are cranking out 15mm sculpts then that’s different. More a niche interest than a resurrection.


Warmaster: Revolution sees active play at my local club, has plenty of activity in the small scale communities online and has enough interest to produce physical books. Not saying it's wobbling any top 5 lists any time soon, but it's certainly lively right now compared to the previous two decades.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





From a narrative campaign standpoint, I'd love BFG to return. Coordinating Kill Team and 40k games on the surface with orbital bombardments, invasions and blockades would be killer cool. We always did this back in the day, and it was pretty sweet.

Don't get me wrong- I like Epic too; the fact that Aeronautica and Titanicus are the same scale... It just makes sense that those models COULD be combined into a single game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/20 19:22:23


 
   
Made in gb
Tunneling Trygon






If Epic happens again I think by far the most likely route will be for it to be a Heresy branded game with broadly the same space marine models used by both sides, just like the original. Siege of Terra makes a great narrative starting point for Epic, and the nostalgia element will have a big draw among HH/AT players in general.

   
Made in no
Longtime Dakkanaut






No.
why? 3D printers and a strong fan community.

The old rules still exists and are tweaked by its fan community. 3D proxys are readily avalible, either as a made product or files. When BFG manage to rebirth itself with the use of 3D printers and a dedicated fan community whitout the help of GW, epic can too.

plus, the way GW handles rules these days, i rather NOT want a new BFG made by them. The fact that AT18 core rules are good i consider a fluke, rather then a success.

darkswordminiatures.com
gamersgrass.com
Collects: Wild West Exodus, SW Armada/Legion. Adeptus Titanicus, Dust1947. 
   
Made in us
Keeper of the Flame





Monticello, IN

JohnnyHell wrote:No way will they bother remaking Epic again. Bigger models is their current schtick, not smaller.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Sherrypie wrote:
 Kcalehc wrote:
Maybe.

I'd prefer an Epic scale WHFB though - that'd be truly epic!


Warmaster is undergoing a resurrection in the community right now, as previously mentioned. Good system, too.


I’d question a widespread ‘resurrection’. I’ve never seen anyone play that game ever, and I was around for the original. If you mean bored people with 3D printers are cranking out 15mm sculpts then that’s different. More a niche interest than a resurrection.


You'll never get them to see the light. When Warmaster was killed at retail and shuffled off to Specialist Games and mail order only it had been out for 6 months. It's still the fastest "Release to Hospice care" game in GW's history. A few people online don't make a renaissance. If that was the case, 6th Ed. WFB is having far more of a renaissance.


I doubt GW would try it. Part of the reason Epic carried on for so long was that it offered a TON of stuff that you couldn't get in 40K proper with the exception of old Armorcast stuff and later Forgeworld. Warmaster was basically Shrinkydinks WFB with a wonkier rule system, it didn't give a unique enough experience to justify all the work that would be involved to scale terrain and entire armies for the experience. With Apocalypse's release and subsequent absorption into 40K proper there isn't really anything Epic has to offer that's different other than wonkier rules and scaling down all your terrain.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in ca
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot



Canada

Epic 40K is a cautionary tale in edition change. The 1997 release salted the earth for existing players while not offering enough for newer ones. While the game mechanics were laudable, the game deliberately stripped out the flavour of the previous editions. It was DOA.

As a micro-armour player I liked the scale of Epic and have plenty of armies, but getting players was a problem. I am happy for those who keep it alive through various means, but I would be very surprised to see GW bring it back. It would need a wide range of SKUs to be viable and I just don't see the interest.

All you have to do is fire three rounds a minute, and stand 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Just Tony wrote:
It's still the fastest "Release to Hospice care" game in GW's history. A few people online don't make a renaissance. If that was the case, 6th Ed. WFB is having far more of a renaissance.
Do we count what GW did with Dark Heresy as faster?

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Keeper of the Flame





Monticello, IN

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Just Tony wrote:
It's still the fastest "Release to Hospice care" game in GW's history. A few people online don't make a renaissance. If that was the case, 6th Ed. WFB is having far more of a renaissance.
Do we count what GW did with Dark Heresy as faster?


I don't know. I would rather drive a 16 penny nail through my own scrotum than ever actively learn anything about any role playing game. Ever.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

That's... an extreme (and some might way unwarranted) reaction.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





Although indeed very fringe, warmaster is not going away despite GWs best efforts. It is fairly cheap to get multiple armies for warmaster, which allows you to easily rope friends in. It is one of my favourite rule sets by GW and I play it often.

6th edition WHFB is also hanging around. AoS 3 has some severe structural issues which need to be addressed (terribly non-existent terrain rules). But it is on a decent path in comparison to whatever 40K is these days.

For the vision of mass battles GW loves to sell, 10mm is a much better scale than 28mm. I consider 40K to be flat out unplayable at 28mm these days, with the ridiculous base sizes, small tables and incredibly boring plodding shooting phases where players run through their endless lists of ranged weapons that shoot the length of the table. The game is a total disaster.

Epic 40K is from a time when GW was more heavily influenced by serious war games rules writing. It had some problems, a bit half baked. But lots of potential. Would love to see a fleshed out model range for the game. But will never happen. It would be too cost effective for the consumer.

Thankfully 3D printing will only become cheaper and easier and these great ideas will continue to be supported by amateur hobbyists. Both warmaster and 40K had nuggets of gold in them that deserved more polish.
   
Made in at
Deranged Necron Destroyer





There's also Epicalypse: Play using the Apocalypse rules, using Epic Scale figures, and replacing inches with cm.
If you're wanting something with the more modern units of 40k, this is a solid bet. There's even a group doing Datasheets for the new units GW has brought out since Apocalypse dropped.
The idea of having more room to manuver on a regular size table is what really drew me in.

I've been building up an army using adeptus titanicus and aeronautica models, and I'm looking into some infantry now. Might also do some Eldar using Wraithguard conversions as Wraithknights and so on.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: