Switch Theme:

Codex Tyranids - 9th Edition - The Hive Mind Conjures New Threats!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in mx
Huge Hierodule




Mexico

They should, it is the most broken unit in the game right now.

But that still leaves us with a few months of Harpy domination.

   
Made in de
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






Germany

The most broken unit is the Maleceptor with its 15-20MW output each psychic phase.
   
Made in mx
Huge Hierodule




Mexico

The Maleceptor is a short range model and that 15-20 MW requires a combo. On its own only puts 6-9 mortal wounds each phase.

Sure it is strong, but tournament winning lists only have one Maleceptor as their efficiency drops with numbers, and some don't even have them because the harpy is better.
   
Made in us
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws






 Tyran wrote:
Flyrant with sword relic and Walkrant with either cannon relic seem to be the preferred build.


Are you still giving a sword whip to the walkrant or leaving him with talons?

GW: "We do no demographic research, we have no focus groups, we do not ask the market what it wants" 
   
Made in us
Huge Hierodule




Mexico

 Ferrum_Sanguinis wrote:
 Tyran wrote:
Flyrant with sword relic and Walkrant with either cannon relic seem to be the preferred build.


Are you still giving a sword whip to the walkrant or leaving him with talons?

Kinda depends on the matchup to be honest.

Talons are great for W2 targets (standard marines), but the sword is better against harder targets.

Although IMHO I prefer the sword.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/04/29 15:46:20


 
   
Made in us
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws






Is it worth giving the Prime a VC/BS now that it can finally be equipped with one?

GW: "We do no demographic research, we have no focus groups, we do not ask the market what it wants" 
   
Made in mx
Huge Hierodule




Mexico

Yes, IMHO a Prime should always have a VC
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 Ferrum_Sanguinis wrote:
Is it worth giving the Prime a VC/BS now that it can finally be equipped with one?


Unless you accidently build a list that has to shed points somewhere by a little, vc is a really good addition to the prime. Plus if you're like me and probably 90% of the other tyrranid players out there... you probably accidently built a prime with a cannon anyway.
   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

Well. I finally got some time to plow through the new codex. Wow! I am very happy overall.

Some of the lesser known Fleets now look good, and I look forward to trying them out. Early winners: Fly'rant with Reaper my winged assassain returns! Tyrant Guard, bare bones or kitted, make for a solid base for Winged tyrants to over run to, and. or foot tyrants to fire from.

I am very happy to try out a Tervigon and a Brood of 24-30 Termagants to hold the middle, and regen models. Hormagaunts look good again. Both as a screen, and an anti-screen. They can perform missions off in corners when they are shot down in numbers as well.

The new fleets I ma most eager to try are Hydra, putting Regen on the Tervigon. And Gorgon with wound on 4's making Horm-rush a thing!

I think Carnifexen are good units both as beat-stick, and shooty, or a combo of both. Jormangandr Gun-line might be back? (Gun fexen)


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Before this Codex the "way" to win with Nids was to max the secondaries and win on points. I think it may have flipped, and now we need to max the primaries. We look to be super good at holding the center, and that normally gives good primaries. We used to be good at popping out in corners and doing actions.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
So my basic "frame-work" for building a list right now is:

Winged Tyrant, with Reaper (Enraged reserves is points allow) Adrenal

Tervigon: Relic possable based on Fleet....(Psychic Shriek if Hydra)

Troops

Warriors x3-5 a cannon
(Prime with a cannon, no slot required)
Termagants x24-30
Hormagaunts x10

Elites Zoeys x3
Neurothrope ( no slot required)(Warlord)
Venothropes x3


Then most likely for Tourney play a Patrol with a Walk'rant, cannon/ Shardgullet
Tyrant guard (no slot required)

and filler as needed...

for Heavies I think Carnifexen are good, and I still love my Acid Tyrannofex.

Hiveguard got a solid nerf, and so I will likely only think of them with Kronos as the extra range and adaption will help them.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 2022/05/07 18:23:53


 
   
Made in us
Pyromaniac Hellhound Pilot






Do biovores create free spore mines?

   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

I believe so.
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

 CKO wrote:
Do biovores create free spore mines?


One unit in your army can take an action to make some each turn. We no longer get them on a miss. And they are still free.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

So the IA Compendium got an FAQ.

Good news? They didn't suddenly make our Hierodules into Lords of War. Was worried about that.

Bad news? The Stonecrusher Carnifex appears to have been completely forgotten:

1. It hasn't gained Core.
2. Doesn't have Death Throes.
3. Doesn't have WS3+.
4. Didn't go up to 9 wounds.
5. Didn't get a 2+ Save.
6. Didn't gain the Armoured Exoskeleton rule.
7. Didn't gain the Blistering Assault rule.
8. Didn't gain any extra attacks when all the other 'Fexes did.
9. Doesn't have the Thornback keyword (or access to it) which it probably should.

Ouch...

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Human Auxiliary to the Empire



Odenton, MD

New guy looking to start a Tyranid army. Question on the Screamer-killer. They have 4 screamer-killer talons and a base on 10 melee attacks, so does that mean it has 40 attacks? 44 on the turn it charged? Same applies for any other model which has multiple melee weapons too, assuming this is true.

Happiness is a belt feed weapon
40K Tau and Malifaux Neverborn
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

need2thump wrote:
New guy looking to start a Tyranid army. Question on the Screamer-killer. They have 4 screamer-killer talons and a base on 10 melee attacks, so does that mean it has 40 attacks? 44 on the turn it charged? Same applies for any other model which has multiple melee weapons too, assuming this is true.


For the most part you pick one of your melee weapons and make all of your attacks with it. Having multiple different ones just gets you more options.

The big exception to this is some of them tell you to make additional attacks with the weapon. You get those as a bonus on top of your normal attacks. They tell you how many extras you get, not the creatures full A value.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




To clarify, "all of your attacks" refers to the number of attacks on the model's Attacks characteristic, along with whatever additional attacks they gain from special rules in their datasheet or weapon profiles.

So, using screamer-killers and a regular carnifex with 4 talons as examples:

A screamer-killer makes 11 attacks on the charge - it has 10 attacks in it's profile, and gets a bonus attack the turn it charges from blistering assault. You resolve these attacks with the profile for screamer-killer talons - technically you're selecting one of the four but they're all identical so it doesn't matter which you use.

A carnifex with 4 talons makes 9 attacks on the charge - it has 4 attacks, gets a bonus attack the turn it charges from blistering assault, and each carnifex scything talon grants an additional attack specifically with that weapon (so an extra 4). Now in this case as with the screamer-killer all attacks are resolved with the same scything talon profile, but it's important to note that the bonus attacks for the talons are specifically only made with the talon profile. If we used a different example, a carnifex with 2 crushing claws and 2 talons, you would make a choice of which weapon to use, and 5 attacks would be made with that profile, but 2 attacks specifically only with the talons.

Lastly, you are allowed to make your attacks with any combination of weapons you like. So once again using our 2 crushing claws, 2 talon carnifex example, you could decide to only make 2 attacks with the claws (or 3 or 4) and the remaining attacks with the talons (and the 2 bonus attacks with the talons as well).
   
Made in us
Human Auxiliary to the Empire



Odenton, MD

Thanks for the clarification, guess my dreams of running a screamer-killer with 40 attacks was too good to be true

Happiness is a belt feed weapon
40K Tau and Malifaux Neverborn
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

need2thump wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, guess my dreams of running a screamer-killer with 40 attacks was too good to be true


Lucky for you they should do fine with the tons of attacks they actually get.

Might not be the most broken thing in the book, but your opponent will know when he gets charged by oneā€¦

   
Made in gb
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan



UK

So a few thoughts on the new nid dex / FAQ change / upcoming harpy nerf.

The Maley is no longer absolutely bonkers, I'm dissappointed its action economy imperative got hit too.

I *think* it is still good/great with some support. The things it lost are resources you now can spend elsewhere which should always be an important consideration when looking at buffs/nerf. In terms of what it can do, reliably cast two things (with support), each thing dealing a free 3MW within 12". A great centre board tank "distraction carnifex".

Maley + Biovores are a potential power move! The new wording to drones makes exploding them much easier + they still have decent board control.

The harpy may going to get +25-40pts more expensive, if there is a further balance. So optimistically aim to cut 50pts from your list and retain the Big Birds.

Two big birds + biovores double-dropping withn an action + shooting... Welcome to the Spore Fields!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/13 22:42:53


 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Friend of mine just sent me this:

"The Tyranid Codex, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this codex is the worst hell on earth... Hope. ."
Too be fair.. it's all worked out quite well!

Heh.  
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I despise them using FAQs to change rules.

Correct ambiguities, correct mistakes, fix things that are functionally broken.

Do not change rules.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut





Razerous wrote:
Maley + Biovores are a potential power move! The new wording to drones makes exploding them much easier + they still have decent board control.


what new "wording"? biovores suck now, or am I missing something?
   
Made in gb
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan



UK

Sporemines (from strat, harpies or biovores) now explode much more easily = if you end your move near an enemy or if an enemy unit ends near you or having moved near you during its movement . Then it's on average a mortal wound per mine.

The biovores themselves causes a MW on 4+ D3 times, per bug. That's okay. The action launches D3 mines per biovore.

Biovores can perform an action and then shoot, with the help of the recently nerfed Malenceptor. That pushes them into decent I think! Edit: Can only double-up once, as the imperative is one-use and biovores are core to benefit from the Hive Nexus ability. Damn!

Deployable board control is great. Even though the mines are pass-throughable during a movement they still have a footprint which you'd have to shoot or charge to remove.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/05/14 22:05:58


 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Friend of mine just sent me this:

"The Tyranid Codex, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this codex is the worst hell on earth... Hope. ."
Too be fair.. it's all worked out quite well!

Heh.  
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut





Razerous wrote:
Sporemines (from strat, harpies or biovores) now explode much more easily = if you end your move near an enemy or if an enemy unit ends near you or having moved near you during its movement . Then it's on average a mortal wound per mine.

The biovores themselves causes a MW on 4+ D3 times, per bug. That's okay. The action launches D3 mines per biovore.

Biovores can perform an action and then shoot, with the help of the recently nerfed Malenceptor. That pushes them into decent I think! Edit: Can only double-up once, as the imperative is one-use and biovores are core to benefit from the Hive Nexus ability. Damn!

Deployable board control is great. Even though the mines are pass-throughable during a movement they still have a footprint which you'd have to shoot or charge to remove.


With the new "-1 to hit if you shoot indirect"- rule biovores are even worse than before. And with before, I mean 6 weeks ago. Even when you could combine a spore mine action with shooting it's not that great. Spore mines were better before because the could assault and then explode right away. And even then you would use them primarly for blocking movement.

Harpy's are great because the can simply drop them on a enemy unit and can provide a decent 3+ mortal wounds right away. even when the are not flying over an enemy unit the could just drop 3 mines for free. It is a great bonus but not why you pick harpy's.
   
Made in mx
Huge Hierodule




Mexico

In theory you could have a unit of 3 biovores just drop spore mines over objectives or bottlenecks and force the enemy player to take mortal wounds if they want to score. Probably not particularly competitive, but may work.

Also I'm so bothered that their launcher is not blast.
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Tyran wrote:
In theory you could have a unit of 3 biovores just drop spore mines over objectives or bottlenecks and force the enemy player to take mortal wounds if they want to score. Probably not particularly competitive, but may work.

Also I'm so bothered that their launcher is not blast.


Only one biovore unit can do this, right? so not really a lot of mines.
   
Made in us
Huge Hierodule




Mexico

shogun wrote:
 Tyran wrote:
In theory you could have a unit of 3 biovores just drop spore mines over objectives or bottlenecks and force the enemy player to take mortal wounds if they want to score. Probably not particularly competitive, but may work.

Also I'm so bothered that their launcher is not blast.


Only one biovore unit can do this, right? so not really a lot of mines.


it still is 3D3 mines on pretty much anywhere you might want on the table. Although wouldn't recommend taking more than one biovore unit.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Has anyone found a good way to field genestealers in the new book? They make up the bulk of my 'nid collection, but they seem kind of slow and fragile for their cost. Plus, their reduced unit size and move out of the troop slot means I'll struggle to legally field all of mine in a list AND they'll be competing with other elites. :(

Maybe they have a future as mid-field objective minders? Or expensive turn 1 charge gamblers? Or should I invest in the GSC book instead of the new 'nid 'dex?

   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

I was using them as MSU before the new Codex, and I think you still can use then that way (Brood x5-6) put it in a Patrol etc and add in your second Tyrant.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




No longer troops though. D:
   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

True,true, But x6 Elite can still do actions like gather data, and are dead killy vs other MSU.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
And...you can put x10 with a Broodlord that takes no slot, and creep them forward for a turn one charge.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/05/20 16:54:43


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: