Switch Theme:

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 AegisGrimm wrote:
Why is everyone so butthurt about the size of Teela's muscles in this? She has the exact same size muscles as Evil-Lynn. They are practically the same base form with a clothing and hair swap.

It's freaking Eternia. Everyone is some flavor of barbarian, even if they are using guns!






Because haters gunna hate.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 AegisGrimm wrote:
Why is everyone so butthurt about the size of Teela's muscles in this? She has the exact same size muscles as Evil-Lynn. They are practically the same base form with a clothing and hair swap.

It's freaking Eternia. Everyone is some flavor of barbarian, even if they are using guns!

I blame 90 years worth of superhero comics and cartoons teaching multiple generations that male heroes should be buff, while female heroes should look like catwalk models.

It's absurd, and I for one hope this trend of allowing women to actually look like capable warriors continues.

 
   
Made in us
Maddening Mutant Boss of Chaos





The Wastes of Krieg

 Argive wrote:
DeathKorp_Rider wrote:
 Argive wrote:
I guess your signature quotes are kind of ironic...

What a disgusting take.

You should slow down a little and stop getting worked up


I'm not getting worked up I'm just not engaging with someone saying:

I'm sorry, but you haven't experienced true grief and your opinion is invalid.
Says me.

I mean.... Its not really worth getting worked dup against if that level of garbage is being flunged at you.
Your post is also now on the garbage pile. Sorry.


Whatever
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





One thing is for sure; Evil Lyn needs to let her hair down more often!

Casual gaming, mostly solo-coop these days.

 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







 LunarSol wrote:
Ultimately I can't help shake the feeling that what the show really needs is an episode or two of reestablishing the original dynamic before subverting it. Like, in my head the world was always kind of a barbaric wasteland. The loss of magic doesn't really make things feel any worse off than they already did, despite constantly being told how bad things are now.


Show needed two episodes before Skeletor's big heist. One to reaffirm the original setting, one where Skeletor finds out all this pulled-from-my-ass hidden history.

Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






SamusDrake wrote:
One thing is for sure; Evil Lyn needs to let her hair down more often!


Her superpower isn't magic, it's being able to hide that mane under that helmet ^^
   
Made in us
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

Voss wrote:
I think you all need to go back to the beginning of this very thread and the news from the 2019 convention were it was suggested that he man wouldn't be the focus, and it was called Masters of the Universe and not he man for a reason. There was a two year warning on this 'bait and switch'


I haven't yet watched this - I'm waiting for the second half to be available, same as I did for The Long Halloween. That being said, if He-Man is in the second half as little as I have heard he is in the first half, then I will readily admit Warboss was right and I was wrong.

 lord_blackfang wrote:
Respect to the guy who subscribed just to post a massive ASCII dong in the chat and immediately get banned.

 Flinty wrote:
The benefit of slate is that its.actually a.rock with rock like properties. The downside is that it's a rock
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Albertorius wrote:
SamusDrake wrote:
One thing is for sure; Evil Lyn needs to let her hair down more often!


Her superpower isn't magic, it's being able to hide that mane under that helmet ^^


Yes, she sure knows how to tuck it up there, doesn't she!

Casual gaming, mostly solo-coop these days.

 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

And fast. There's one sequence, I think when Mer Man arrives on the boat, where she has it all tucked away in nanoseconds!

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Azreal13 wrote:
And fast. There's one sequence, I think when Mer Man arrives on the boat, where she has it all tucked away in nanoseconds!


Must be a tiktok poster.

Casual gaming, mostly solo-coop these days.

 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 lord_blackfang wrote:
 LunarSol wrote:
Ultimately I can't help shake the feeling that what the show really needs is an episode or two of reestablishing the original dynamic before subverting it. Like, in my head the world was always kind of a barbaric wasteland. The loss of magic doesn't really make things feel any worse off than they already did, despite constantly being told how bad things are now.


Show needed two episodes before Skeletor's big heist. One to reaffirm the original setting, one where Skeletor finds out all this pulled-from-my-ass hidden history.


Yeah, that. The 'failed for years and years' but suddenly knows layers upon layers of secrets and pulled it all off with the most basic and transparent of ruses really doesn't work.

They could have also gone with a couple episodes of Merc Teela and just shown off the relevant bits of Ep 1 in flashbacks, since they go ahead and do relationship building flashbacks in the very next episode anyway.

The biggest problem for the series is they didn't do a week by week release OR a one and done release. First few episodes and a hard stop is making for a hard sell. There is obviously more, but they picked one of the worst possible ways to kick it off AND cut it up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/31 00:12:58


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







I wonder if Netflix simply didn't approve enough running time to do exposition properly.

Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






 lord_blackfang wrote:
I wonder if Netflix simply didn't approve enough running time to do exposition properly.


Budgetary constraints are always an issue with Netflix series.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Pyre Troll






random idea. a sorta sequel to the live action movie
Dolph Lundgren as King Adam/ Old Man He-man
if it did well, maybe use the momentum to give us King Conan while Arnold still can get in shape enough for it
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut






Eh, at this point just get Henry Cavill to play Conan in a proper adaptation of any of Howard's original stories.

Do Red Nails. It has Valeria in it. Valeria is cool.

Trying for King Conan is just asking to put a stake in the property for another twenty years when it inevitably bombs.
   
Made in us
Purposeful Hammerhead Pilot




United States

I think a lot of you guys are forgetting what happened right before Teela's outburst at the very beginning.

The King banished her Father for keeping Adams secret and then ordered Teela to escort her own father out of the throne room. Then she launches her "How DARE you!" speech and storms out. It isn't just Teela grieving, it's Teela grieving and watching others who are grieving start to turn on each other looking for someone to blame, and choosing not to be a part of it.
   
Made in us
Calculating Commissar




pontiac, michigan; usa

 insaniak wrote:
 AegisGrimm wrote:
Why is everyone so butthurt about the size of Teela's muscles in this? She has the exact same size muscles as Evil-Lynn. They are practically the same base form with a clothing and hair swap.

It's freaking Eternia. Everyone is some flavor of barbarian, even if they are using guns!

I blame 90 years worth of superhero comics and cartoons teaching multiple generations that male heroes should be buff, while female heroes should look like catwalk models.

It's absurd, and I for one hope this trend of allowing women to actually look like capable warriors continues.


Well it's what people find attractive and Sex Sells. If you need more proof of this you only need to check out Just Chatting women on Twitch whether V-tubers or Super Thicc and Curvy ladies are all attractive and often have Major Boobage and Cleavage. You can tell people the opposite but thousands of consistent viewers and the ability to buy a house from OnlyFans money or money from Twitch just shows people still find these women attractive perhaps more so than they even used to. Ofc this also shows the desperation of many men out there.

Also i find it weird the Massive Muscles of women are more realistic to women and aren't body shaming while Curvy women actually are. In reality we've only shifted the ideal body from group to group but everybody else is still to be shamed i guess. Whatever it's just tiresome to see all this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/01 19:46:25


Join skavenblight today!

http://the-under-empire.proboards.com/ (my skaven forum) 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Yes, I understand that superhero woman are drawn the way they are because it sells. My point was that it's stupid for them to all be drawn that way, and I would much rather see them drawn in a way that is believable. Wonder Woman shouldn't look like a catwalk model. She should look like someone who can punch through a tank... you know, the way a super-strong male hero is drawn.

It's not about 'ideal' bodies. It's about the body looking appropriate for the role. And that's something that they got very right with this series - the update to Teela is fantastic, and I'd love to see more of it where it's appropriate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/01 20:59:34


 
   
Made in es
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






 flamingkillamajig wrote:
 insaniak wrote:
 AegisGrimm wrote:
Why is everyone so butthurt about the size of Teela's muscles in this? She has the exact same size muscles as Evil-Lynn. They are practically the same base form with a clothing and hair swap.

It's freaking Eternia. Everyone is some flavor of barbarian, even if they are using guns!

I blame 90 years worth of superhero comics and cartoons teaching multiple generations that male heroes should be buff, while female heroes should look like catwalk models.

It's absurd, and I for one hope this trend of allowing women to actually look like capable warriors continues.


Well it's what people find attractive and Sex Sells.

Turns out... not quite. Sex sells... if what you're selling is sex. It doesn't really help all that much to sell anything else, according to most studies.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

 insaniak wrote:
Yes, I understand that superhero woman are drawn the way they are because it sells. My point was that it's stupid for them to all be drawn that way, and I would much rather see them drawn in a way that is believable. Wonder Woman shouldn't look like a catwalk model. She should look like someone who can punch through a tank... you know, the way a super-strong male hero is drawn.

It's not about 'ideal' bodies. It's about the body looking appropriate for the role. And that's something that they got very right with this series - the update to Teela is fantastic, and I'd love to see more of it where it's appropriate.



My thoughts exactly. There is a place for a female character who's a svelte scholarly mage, and then there's a place for a representative of a race of basically techno-barbarians. I don't mind it in cartoons and comics that are supposed to be overly-exaggerated when it comes to archetypes, both male and female.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/02 01:00:10




"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






And let's not forget




One of the most bad ass women in comics.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/08/02 01:07:36



These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 AegisGrimm wrote:
 insaniak wrote:
Yes, I understand that superhero woman are drawn the way they are because it sells. My point was that it's stupid for them to all be drawn that way, and I would much rather see them drawn in a way that is believable. Wonder Woman shouldn't look like a catwalk model. She should look like someone who can punch through a tank... you know, the way a super-strong male hero is drawn.

It's not about 'ideal' bodies. It's about the body looking appropriate for the role. And that's something that they got very right with this series - the update to Teela is fantastic, and I'd love to see more of it where it's appropriate.



My thoughts exactly. There is a place for a female character who's a svelte scholarly mage, and then there's a place for a representative of a race of basically techno-barbarians. I don't mind it in cartoons and comics that are supposed to be overly-exaggerated when it comes to archetypes, both male and female.


Teela isn't even particularly over-exaggerated (and Andra isn't at all). She has muscles, but they aren't extreme, and her build, while tall, is actually very normal- she's broad in the shoulders, waist AND hips, which works for her, as it does for a lot a women.
I've see that basic build several times a day, if not quite so athletic. In fact, as I looked up at one particular woman this morning I thought, 'this is basically a real version of Teela.'

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






 Lance845 wrote:
One of the most bad ass women in comics.


That's not Squirrel Girl.

Amidst the mists and coldest frosts he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
 
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






 Ahtman wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
One of the most bad ass women in comics.


That's not Squirrel Girl.


They said One Of, not The.

 
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






 AduroT wrote:
 Ahtman wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
One of the most bad ass women in comics.


That's not Squirrel Girl.


They said One Of, not The.


And I said that it wasn't Squirrel Girl, which it isn't.

Amidst the mists and coldest frosts he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




So I caught up to episode five yesterday. That... was bland. And very, very, very rushed.

And they set up at least have a dozen of Chekov's guns (from the 'things are not what they seem' factory), which are either going to fire simultaneously in the next bit, or we're going to have to wait for the really obviously telegraphed heel-face turn, the 'not actually dead' and the 'who has the power now' moments.

That said, given the butcher's bill so far, I figure the 'turn' will end in death, and I'm going to be sad about it, because Lyn is obviously the best character in the show.

I do want to know why someone thought that the initial arc should end in 15 minutes of the heroes standing still like idiots, not reacting to ANYTHING happening around them. That was just amazingly anti-climatic and dull, with very bizarre pacing.
The whole set of episodes is very keen to have people go through a tense confrontation and either just trail off unresolved or just... wander away.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/04 03:44:21


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Voss wrote:
I do want to know why someone thought that the initial arc should end in 15 minutes of the heroes standing still like idiots, not reacting to ANYTHING happening around them. That was just amazingly anti-climatic and dull, with very bizarre pacing.

That's been happening all the way through. I suspect it's supposed to be another nod to the original cartoon, where a ridiculously low budget meant that anything in the background only moved if it absolutely had to, and everyone was quite happy to just stand around for a little exposition in the middle of a battle.

 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 insaniak wrote:
Voss wrote:
I do want to know why someone thought that the initial arc should end in 15 minutes of the heroes standing still like idiots, not reacting to ANYTHING happening around them. That was just amazingly anti-climatic and dull, with very bizarre pacing.

That's been happening all the way through. I suspect it's supposed to be another nod to the original cartoon, where a ridiculously low budget meant that anything in the background only moved if it absolutely had to, and everyone was quite happy to just stand around for a little exposition in the middle of a battle.


Yeah, you're not wrong about it happening repeatedly. The scene where Man-at-Arms 'rescued' them from Mer-man and flunkies was a puzzler in the same way. It also felt excessive that he said goodbye, followed them all the way out there, then immediately left again. Basically undermined the journey as something trivial just so they could have one specific character show off (rather than any of the ones that were actually on the journey). He was plenty able to show off at the beginning and end (immediately when they came back).

But this involved everyone standing in a round room with all eyes watching Adam hold up the sword and get... interrupted. They couldn't possibly have not seen what was happening.
And then everyone paused to listen to what was an entire Joker rant rather than doing something about... anything.

I don't think it was a nod to the original's crappy budget, though. I just think Kevin is bad at pacing action scenes and chose to plod all the way through a paint-by-numbers Heroes Journey (rushing the Hero's refusal and acceptance just a wee bit, as well as skipping out on the introspection at what are supposed to be growth moments) with a touch of Orpheus rescuing Eurydice. Its like Kevin Smith was channeling Joss Whedon for this arc, and was fanboying a bit too much about working with Hamil again.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/08/04 15:34:19


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Powerful Pegasus Knight






Apparently view rate on Netflix plummeted, no rewatch.

"Don't Feed the Troll"

ETC is the forum equivalent of a short bus. 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





 BlackoCatto wrote:
Apparently view rate on Netflix plummeted, no rewatch.
Where do you check for ratings like that?
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: