Switch Theme:

Kill Team 2021 news & rumours  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Impassive Inquisitorial Interrogator




U.K.

 Lord Damocles wrote:
It's nice that the Traitor Guardsmen rules screw anybody who adopted them early in Blackstone Fortress.

Just use 10 of them and make a single unit

3 SPRUUUUUEESSSS!!!!
JWBS wrote:

I'm not going to re-read the lunacy that is the last few pages of this thread, but I'd be very surprised if anyone actually said that. Even that one guy banging on about how relatively difficult it might be for an Inquisitor to acquire power armour, I don't think even that guy said that.
 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Blackstone traitors are seven-strong and half of them have melee weapons.


You get two copies in BSF tho?

Posters on ignore list: 35

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Terrifying Doombull




EviscerationPlague wrote:
Voss wrote:


Yay, more mixed, muddled load-outs. And free upgrades. And arbitrarily locked weapon combos (how dare anyone try to use a bolt pistol with a chainsword! Oh, no just navy sergeants. Chaos sergeants are free to do that. But they can't have more than one guy taking sniper rifles or plasma guns to the battle, that's just gauche).

And magic AP reduction spreads yet further. How many more books before they just admit that they screw up the AP system?

To be fair, Kroot having access to more than one Accelerator Bow would be incredibly gamebreaking, so it's obviously a deliberate balance reason.


Is that sarcasm? I can't tell anymore, but I'm puzzled on how the kroot bow affects imperial and chaos standard special weapons or sergeants.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Inquisitor Kallus wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
It's nice that the Traitor Guardsmen rules screw anybody who adopted them early in Blackstone Fortress.

Just use 10 of them and make a single unit

 lord_blackfang wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Blackstone traitors are seven-strong and half of them have melee weapons.


You get two copies in BSF tho?

My dudes...
 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Blackstone traitors are seven-strong and half of them have melee weapons.
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







I'm sorry, I still don't get the complaint. That half a box of Guard from a different game can't make a full Kill Team? Could 7 guard ever make a unit of anything?

Posters on ignore list: 35

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Gimlet-Eyed Inquisitorial Acolyte




Exeter, UK

 Lord Damocles wrote:
 Inquisitor Kallus wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
It's nice that the Traitor Guardsmen rules screw anybody who adopted them early in Blackstone Fortress.

Just use 10 of them and make a single unit

 lord_blackfang wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Blackstone traitors are seven-strong and half of them have melee weapons.


You get two copies in BSF tho?

My dudes...
 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Blackstone traitors are seven-strong and half of them have melee weapons.


Servants of the Abyss datasheets from BSF can still be used?
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






It was a real kick in my teeth when I bought Blackstone Fortress and found out they put the minimum squad size for Chaos Space Marines as 5! As an early adopter of Chaos Space Marines, my 2 should be a perfectly adequate unit.

I'm on a podcast about (video) game design:
https://anchor.fm/makethatgame
https://www.youtube.com/@makethatgame
And I also stream tabletop painting/playing Mon&Thurs 8PM EST
https://twitch.tv/tableitgaming 
   
Made in gb
Impassive Inquisitorial Interrogator




U.K.

 Rihgu wrote:
It was a real kick in my teeth when I bought Blackstone Fortress and found out they put the minimum squad size for Chaos Space Marines as 5! As an early adopter of Chaos Space Marines, my 2 should be a perfectly adequate unit.





As an early adopter of Man o war I felt that I got screwed over because I couldnt use my rowboats in 40k, I could only enjoy them if I painted them or used them in games of MAn o War, what a crock

3 SPRUUUUUEESSSS!!!!
JWBS wrote:

I'm not going to re-read the lunacy that is the last few pages of this thread, but I'd be very surprised if anyone actually said that. Even that one guy banging on about how relatively difficult it might be for an Inquisitor to acquire power armour, I don't think even that guy said that.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Voss wrote:
EviscerationPlague wrote:
Voss wrote:


Yay, more mixed, muddled load-outs. And free upgrades. And arbitrarily locked weapon combos (how dare anyone try to use a bolt pistol with a chainsword! Oh, no just navy sergeants. Chaos sergeants are free to do that. But they can't have more than one guy taking sniper rifles or plasma guns to the battle, that's just gauche).

And magic AP reduction spreads yet further. How many more books before they just admit that they screw up the AP system?

To be fair, Kroot having access to more than one Accelerator Bow would be incredibly gamebreaking, so it's obviously a deliberate balance reason.


Is that sarcasm? I can't tell anymore, but I'm puzzled on how the kroot bow affects imperial and chaos standard special weapons or sergeants.

It's sarcasm. I hate the Plague Marine format of weapon options.
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





40k day apparently also includes Kill team, so we should get a sneak preview of the next Gallowdark set next weekend.
   
Made in gb
Sadistic Inquisitorial Excruciator






 Tastyfish wrote:
40k day apparently also includes Kill team, so we should get a sneak preview of the next Gallowdark set next weekend.


That would be amazing, but this far out I’m not expecting a full box reveal. A preview of one of the teams is probably the best we can hope for.
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
 Tastyfish wrote:
40k day apparently also includes Kill team, so we should get a sneak preview of the next Gallowdark set next weekend.


That would be amazing, but this far out I’m not expecting a full box reveal. A preview of one of the teams is probably the best we can hope for.


At least we know for sure the new team will be Troke's favourite sculpt yet.

Posters on ignore list: 35

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 lord_blackfang wrote:
At least we know for sure the new team will be Troke's favourite sculpt yet.
Can't wait.


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Otiose in a Niche






Cairo, Egypt

 lord_blackfang wrote:
I'm sorry, I still don't get the complaint. That half a box of Guard from a different game can't make a full Kill Team? Could 7 guard ever make a unit of anything?


IIRC there were 40k rules for BSF figures including the specific 7 traitor guard you got in the box.

 
   
Made in de
Fully-charged Electropriest






 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
I'm sorry, I still don't get the complaint. That half a box of Guard from a different game can't make a full Kill Team? Could 7 guard ever make a unit of anything?


IIRC there were 40k rules for BSF figures including the specific 7 traitor guard you got in the box.


Yes, they should still be in the box (that is still available).
   
Made in us
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





It sucks for 40k, but the BSF Traitor Guard are still very good if you play Kill Team though, because it means you can build most of the specialists and just use the BSF models for any lasguns/flamer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/01 13:23:38


 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Gathering the Informations.

 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
 Tastyfish wrote:
40k day apparently also includes Kill team, so we should get a sneak preview of the next Gallowdark set next weekend.


That would be amazing, but this far out I’m not expecting a full box reveal. A preview of one of the teams is probably the best we can hope for.

I'm wondering if we'll get a tease for the next Gallowdark set and the rumored Kasrkin v Necron box is meant to replace the existing "core" set. Pariah Nexus came with scatter scenery that could potentially be used.
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Gathering the Informations.


Dug this up. November 16th, 2021 Rumour Engine.

Think it's part of the rumored upgrade sprue?
   
Made in be
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard





 Kanluwen wrote:

Dug this up. November 16th, 2021 Rumour Engine.

Think it's part of the rumored upgrade sprue?

Either that or the base of the plastic Nightbringer’s scythe.
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






Considering we're not really expecting Necrons anywhere outside Kill Team, I'd say that's reasonable.

I don't know what they intend to upgrade with a sprue, but Crypteks are built on Warrior bodies, so that should be an expectation in some fashion. Even if they go with the most common unit, they'd be able to do a Cryptek, pseudo-Cryptek or apprentice Cryptek of some sort. If they base it on an Immortal body, we might get a Cryptek +1, which would also make for a nice change of pace.

Considering Kill Team uses standard troopers in specialist roles, which clashed with mixing members of different unit as one would expect of Necrons and which doesn't really mesh with GW's approach to selling Kill Teams, the go to for Necron specialists should be Cryptek related. I'd expect that to be the angle, either apprentice Crypteks or experiments to break out of the monotony of the set roles Necron units have.

And of course there'll be an oddball choice like the Novitiate Repentia cosplayer, because GW just can't resist these things no matter how little sense they make, so there should be a pseudo-Flayed One on the sprue.

Provided the Necron upgrade sprue actually happens, which I really hope it does.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in gb
Battleship Captain





The Shire(s)

 Geifer wrote:
Considering we're not really expecting Necrons anywhere outside Kill Team, I'd say that's reasonable.

I don't know what they intend to upgrade with a sprue, but Crypteks are built on Warrior bodies, so that should be an expectation in some fashion. Even if they go with the most common unit, they'd be able to do a Cryptek, pseudo-Cryptek or apprentice Cryptek of some sort. If they base it on an Immortal body, we might get a Cryptek +1, which would also make for a nice change of pace.

Considering Kill Team uses standard troopers in specialist roles, which clashed with mixing members of different unit as one would expect of Necrons and which doesn't really mesh with GW's approach to selling Kill Teams, the go to for Necron specialists should be Cryptek related. I'd expect that to be the angle, either apprentice Crypteks or experiments to break out of the monotony of the set roles Necron units have.

And of course there'll be an oddball choice like the Novitiate Repentia cosplayer, because GW just can't resist these things no matter how little sense they make, so there should be a pseudo-Flayed One on the sprue.

Provided the Necron upgrade sprue actually happens, which I really hope it does.

I think the Immortals/Deathmarks kit is the most likely, because it has three different weapon options already, and Deathmarks are interdimensional assassins that fit Kill Team reasonably well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/02 19:08:38


 ChargerIIC wrote:
If algae farm paste with a little bit of your grandfather in it isn't Grimdark I don't know what is.
 
   
Made in be
Regular Dakkanaut





 Geifer wrote:
Considering we're not really expecting Necrons anywhere outside Kill Team, I'd say that's reasonable.

I don't know what they intend to upgrade with a sprue, but Crypteks are built on Warrior bodies, so that should be an expectation in some fashion. Even if they go with the most common unit, they'd be able to do a Cryptek, pseudo-Cryptek or apprentice Cryptek of some sort. If they base it on an Immortal body, we might get a Cryptek +1, which would also make for a nice change of pace.

Considering Kill Team uses standard troopers in specialist roles, which clashed with mixing members of different unit as one would expect of Necrons and which doesn't really mesh with GW's approach to selling Kill Teams, the go to for Necron specialists should be Cryptek related. I'd expect that to be the angle, either apprentice Crypteks or experiments to break out of the monotony of the set roles Necron units have.

And of course there'll be an oddball choice like the Novitiate Repentia cosplayer, because GW just can't resist these things no matter how little sense they make, so there should be a pseudo-Flayed One on the sprue.

Provided the Necron upgrade sprue actually happens, which I really hope it does.


Hear me out… Necron Pariah Kill Team. The perfect way to reintroduce them

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/02 19:38:16


 
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 Haighus wrote:
I think the Immortals/Deathmarks kit is the most likely, because it has three different weapon options already, and Deathmarks are interdimensional assassins that fit Kill Team reasonably well.


I don't mean to be negative, but people seemed to think that Phobos snipers would be a great addition and look how that worked out.

The big problem with Kill Team is that it is a setting made for elite operatives, but GW goes out of their way to make it about specialized standard troops instead of special forces whose actual job it is to run these kinds of operations. Which makes me reluctant to believe in elite operatives that fit the bill perfectly.

 Segersgia wrote:
Hear me out… Necron Pariah Kill Team. The perfect way to reintroduce them


Oh, I'm hearing you out. I'd be delighted to get Pariahs back. Of course the problem is, I may be listening, but is GW? Yeah...

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in gb
Battleship Captain





The Shire(s)

 Geifer wrote:
 Haighus wrote:
I think the Immortals/Deathmarks kit is the most likely, because it has three different weapon options already, and Deathmarks are interdimensional assassins that fit Kill Team reasonably well.


I don't mean to be negative, but people seemed to think that Phobos snipers would be a great addition and look how that worked out.

The big problem with Kill Team is that it is a setting made for elite operatives, but GW goes out of their way to make it about specialized standard troops instead of special forces whose actual job it is to run these kinds of operations. Which makes me reluctant to believe in elite operatives that fit the bill perfectly.

Immortals are troops choices. They share a sprue with deathmarks. Extremely low hanging fruit for adding an upgrade sprue and getting a ton of options for one team. Sure, could be warriors instead, but immortals/deathmarks are the way more obvious choice.

Also, I am not sure how Ork kommandos, Tau pathfinders, Aeldari corsairs, the special kroot, Navy armsmen breachers, and the phobos marines they did give rules for are "specialised standard troops". They are just specialists, mainly in raiding, infiltration, and/or recon. The legionary unit and traitor guardsmen are standard troops with extra specialists in specific roles, the veteran guardsmen are, well, veterans and occupy a similar position in their list to immortals. The novitiates are a bit weird in being basically green troops.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/02 22:52:00


 ChargerIIC wrote:
If algae farm paste with a little bit of your grandfather in it isn't Grimdark I don't know what is.
 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Gathering the Informations.

 Geifer wrote:
 Haighus wrote:
I think the Immortals/Deathmarks kit is the most likely, because it has three different weapon options already, and Deathmarks are interdimensional assassins that fit Kill Team reasonably well.


I don't mean to be negative, but people seemed to think that Phobos snipers would be a great addition and look how that worked out.

Eliminators and the Vanguard Company(10th) in general fall into a weird spot. They're broadly equivalent to Devastators rather than a squad upgrade, so them not being fielded is not crazy.

The big problem with Kill Team is that it is a setting made for elite operatives, but GW goes out of their way to make it about specialized standard troops instead of special forces whose actual job it is to run these kinds of operations. Which makes me reluctant to believe in elite operatives that fit the bill perfectly.

Kill Teams aren't just elite operatives though. They're also schmucks thrown together for a specific task.

If they really wanted to highlight the "special forces" for them? We wouldn't have the Security Archetype or any of that nonsense.

 Segersgia wrote:
Hear me out… Necron Pariah Kill Team. The perfect way to reintroduce them


Oh, I'm hearing you out. I'd be delighted to get Pariahs back. Of course the problem is, I may be listening, but is GW? Yeah...

Frankly, Pariahs coming back via Kill Team would be daft.

Also, Triarch Praetorians and Deathmarks both are really good fits as a KT concept. They're considered to be outside of the "normal" forces that Lord might have at their disposal, with the Triarch being beholden to the Silent King not the Dynasties and Deathmarks considered outcasts for being assassins.

With all of that said, I'm now kinda/sorta thinking the Technomancer/Cryptek bit is a misunderstanding? It might be that Immortals and Deathmarks are being given a "character upgrade" as part of their frame like the Sorcerer for the CSM.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/02 23:01:58


 
   
Made in ch
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





 Kanluwen wrote:

Frankly, Pariahs coming back via Kill Team would be daft.

Why would they be any dafter than Traitor Guard or Newbie Sisters?
   
Made in de
Hardened Veteran Guardsman




Knee deep in bone ash, gore and mud

Pariahs don't really strike me as a good choice for a Kill Team. That is in their old archetype of an elite melee unit that has anti psyker capabilities, all with the same loadout.
Ideally a Kill Team is an asortment of individuals, each with a different loadout, some with special rules to circumvent restictions, some geared more towards area control, close combat, damage dealing or long range sniping etc etc. The "best" team we saw so far that held this up is the Corsairs Kill Team.
The old Pariah unit would be exactly as boring to play as a pure Genestealer Kill Team. They are mind numbing to play and even more mind numbing to play against.

What they could do of course is completely reinvent the unit. Change their background, for example towards that they are highly individual new creations and perceived as instable by the Cryptecs. Something along the lines of merging multiple fractured immortals personalities, or downright throwing a blank human into the furnaces of biotransference. As a result having a unit with an unorthodox loadout and give them anti psyker capabilities on top.

Of course, this would mean that they resemble the old paraihs only in name and hardly in function. Even if they give the "regular trooper" a Phase Axe/Halberd.
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





I mean you could keep them as they were, even have some with the old load out - you just then have a few extra loadouts and have it as being using human pariahs gives an Overlord a flexible team that can think on it's feet but at the same time will never be a threat in the same way a high level necron could be.
   
Made in gb
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard





The idea of Necrons below character level in 40K having anything like individuality is a bit odd considering how much they’ve been playing up the tragedy of the Necrontyr being wiped out to make soulless robot duplicates with only the barest fragments of personality left in 40K.

"Three months? I'm going to go crazy …and I'm taking you with me!"
— Vala Mal Doran
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Specialist dont have to require individuality. Some factions may have Stitches, the guy with the training and narthecum to patch up his team mates, or you could have Photep 47, an immortal equipped with a Blackstone nanocloud simply because the cryptek who issued the assignment determined that it would increase mission success chance by 17% and 47 was simply standing closest to the cryptek at the time.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: