Switch Theme:

Report on Your AoS Projects!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in pt
Skillful Swordmaster




The Shadowlands of Nagarythe

Dat marble Jono

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2016/01/20 10:49:13


"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws." http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/

 
   
Made in au
Hacking Proxy Mk.1





Australia

 Lithlandis Stormcrow wrote:
Dat marble Jono

Is in fact a failed marble I mostly hid with flowers after realizing trying to paint marble at 3am is a bad idea

 Fafnir wrote:
Oh, I certainly vote with my dollar, but the problem is that that is not enough. The problem with the 'vote with your dollar' response is that it doesn't take into account why we're not buying the product. I want to enjoy 40k enough to buy back in. It was my introduction to traditional games, and there was a time when I enjoyed it very much. I want to buy 40k, but Gamesworkshop is doing their very best to push me away, and simply not buying their product won't tell them that.
 
   
Made in pt
Skillful Swordmaster




The Shadowlands of Nagarythe

 jonolikespie wrote:
 Lithlandis Stormcrow wrote:
Dat marble Jono

Is in fact a failed marble I mostly hid with flowers after realizing trying to paint marble at 3am is a bad idea


Looks awesome to me. It's way better than what I could paint

"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws." http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/

 
   
Made in no
Boom! Leman Russ Commander






Oslo Norway

The Averland undead army is one great looking army! Really love the skellies and the wight king in particular. The vampire also has class and style!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2016/01/20 14:32:36


   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran




There's a fairly busy Tales of Sigmar page starting up on Feb. 1. About 25 signups so far and people have been posting their Month 0 stuff. A good follow or something some of the people in here could participate in too: http://talesofsigmar.blogspot.co.uk

On a similar note, if you're on the Facebook Age of Sigmar group, almost 150 people just today have been filling out where to find games and clubs: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zV2KxEW_93ew.ktO_Tb39uP3M
   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM





 jonolikespie wrote:
It's not being used for AoS, but it's a dwarf and on a round base, so here's my latest experiment with some new metals.






He looks great Jono! I hope he sees battle in a game of AoS one day ;-)

Bye bye Dakkadakka, happy hobbying! I really enjoyed my time on here. Opinions were always my own :-) 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Love that mini, seriously damn good
   
Made in au
Hacking Proxy Mk.1





Australia

thekingofkings wrote:Love that mini, seriously damn good

Thanks
Bottle wrote:He looks great Jono! I hope he sees battle in a game of AoS one day ;-)

Ok, I'll admit it, that got a laugh out of me, but with the amount of time I have spent complaining about AoS I'd be worried of bursting into flames if I tried putting him on the tabletop.

 Fafnir wrote:
Oh, I certainly vote with my dollar, but the problem is that that is not enough. The problem with the 'vote with your dollar' response is that it doesn't take into account why we're not buying the product. I want to enjoy 40k enough to buy back in. It was my introduction to traditional games, and there was a time when I enjoyed it very much. I want to buy 40k, but Gamesworkshop is doing their very best to push me away, and simply not buying their product won't tell them that.
 
   
Made in us
40kenthus




Manchester UK

That beard looks insanely good. Remind me of my granddad!

Great work.

Member of the "Awesome Wargaming Dudes"

 
   
Made in se
Executing Exarch






Love the base there jon, lovely mini.
   
Made in au
Hacking Proxy Mk.1





Australia

I didn't actually expect the dwarf there to get me any praise, but since he did how about a model I did paint waaaaaaay back the week AoS came out for a local GW speed painting comp (the idea was the box is released saturday morning, the comp was judged sunday evening).

Spoiler:





(spoilered for size)

And alongside those the one I lost to (my roomate's model).
Spoiler:







He handled his metal a LOT better than me, but I'm convinced the deciding factor was his freehand on the plinth.

 Fafnir wrote:
Oh, I certainly vote with my dollar, but the problem is that that is not enough. The problem with the 'vote with your dollar' response is that it doesn't take into account why we're not buying the product. I want to enjoy 40k enough to buy back in. It was my introduction to traditional games, and there was a time when I enjoyed it very much. I want to buy 40k, but Gamesworkshop is doing their very best to push me away, and simply not buying their product won't tell them that.
 
   
Made in pt
Skillful Swordmaster




The Shadowlands of Nagarythe

Spoiler:
 jonolikespie wrote:
I didn't actually expect the dwarf there to get me any praise, but since he did how about a model I did paint waaaaaaay back the week AoS came out for a local GW speed painting comp (the idea was the box is released saturday morning, the comp was judged sunday evening).

[spoiler]




(spoilered for size)

And alongside those the one I lost to (my roomate's model).
Spoiler:





[img]https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/11667340_1089797731047766_1453751443167509974_n.jpg?oh=bb49f1edac1d5fd9c688b5651e8fd04c&oe=573624EC[/img


He handled his metal a LOT better than me, but I'm convinced the deciding factor was his freehand on the plinth.


If the deciding factor was the freehand then... I wouldn't say it was a fair call. I find yours much better, especially the flesh bits. The only things that I'd say need some working speed painting would be the gold areas. Did you wash the horns?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2016/01/22 09:38:24


"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws." http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/

 
   
Made in se
Executing Exarch






Huh. The skin on your model is EXCELLENT! That does not look like a rush job at all. Mind sharing the recipe? I really need some skin tips... Don't tell your room mate, but your model is much better painted than his, although that freehand is very cool.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2016/01/22 09:39:48


 
   
Made in au
Hacking Proxy Mk.1





Australia

Mymearan wrote:Huh. The skin on your model is EXCELLENT! That does not look like a rush job at all. Mind sharing the recipe? I really need some skin tips... Don't tell your room mate, but your model is much better painted than his, although that freehand is very cool.

I don't really have a recipe I can share but I can tell you the paints were the Scale 75 skin set, can't recommend it enough. http://www.scale75.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=55_59_75&product_id=131
Iirc, it was a base of Indian shadow, airbrushed pink flesh from above, glazed on golden skin, then going back in with a light glaze of the indian shadow back into the depths and around the nipples and scars, then a highlight of light skin on the scars. There was probably a bit more back and forth with the glazing just to blend it in, but that was the rough idea to it.
Lithlandis Stormcrow wrote: The only things that I'd say need some working speed painting would be the gold areas. Did you wash the horns?

I think I washed the horns, it was a while ago, but I may have forgotten that part. The gold though I was pretty unhappy with.

 Fafnir wrote:
Oh, I certainly vote with my dollar, but the problem is that that is not enough. The problem with the 'vote with your dollar' response is that it doesn't take into account why we're not buying the product. I want to enjoy 40k enough to buy back in. It was my introduction to traditional games, and there was a time when I enjoyed it very much. I want to buy 40k, but Gamesworkshop is doing their very best to push me away, and simply not buying their product won't tell them that.
 
   
Made in se
Executing Exarch






 jonolikespie wrote:
Mymearan wrote:Huh. The skin on your model is EXCELLENT! That does not look like a rush job at all. Mind sharing the recipe? I really need some skin tips... Don't tell your room mate, but your model is much better painted than his, although that freehand is very cool.

I don't really have a recipe I can share but I can tell you the paints were the Scale 75 skin set, can't recommend it enough. http://www.scale75.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=55_59_75&product_id=131
Iirc, it was a base of Indian shadow, airbrushed pink flesh from above, glazed on golden skin, then going back in with a light glaze of the indian shadow back into the depths and around the nipples and scars, then a highlight of light skin on the scars. There was probably a bit more back and forth with the glazing just to blend it in, but that was the rough idea to it.
Lithlandis Stormcrow wrote: The only things that I'd say need some working speed painting would be the gold areas. Did you wash the horns?

I think I washed the horns, it was a while ago, but I may have forgotten that part. The gold though I was pretty unhappy with.


That's interesting, seeing as that's the exact same paint set I use for my skin I don't get results that are nearly that good though. I follow the "light skin" tutorial in the little panflet that came with the box, but the end results never has enough contrast between light and shadow, and not enough tone variations. I'll make sure to try your recipe,.
   
Made in pt
Skillful Swordmaster




The Shadowlands of Nagarythe

 jonolikespie wrote:
Lithlandis Stormcrow wrote: The only things that I'd say need some working speed painting would be the gold areas. Did you wash the horns?

I think I washed the horns, it was a while ago, but I may have forgotten that part. The gold though I was pretty unhappy with.


What colours did you use? It looks like it was built from a light coloured undercoat.

"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws." http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/

 
   
Made in au
Hacking Proxy Mk.1





Australia

The horns? No that was a... petroleum grey, then brown grey, then into the creams and white highlights.

I think. It was ages ago now.

 Fafnir wrote:
Oh, I certainly vote with my dollar, but the problem is that that is not enough. The problem with the 'vote with your dollar' response is that it doesn't take into account why we're not buying the product. I want to enjoy 40k enough to buy back in. It was my introduction to traditional games, and there was a time when I enjoyed it very much. I want to buy 40k, but Gamesworkshop is doing their very best to push me away, and simply not buying their product won't tell them that.
 
   
Made in pt
Skillful Swordmaster




The Shadowlands of Nagarythe

 jonolikespie wrote:
The horns? No that was a... petroleum grey, then brown grey, then into the creams and white highlights.

I think. It was ages ago now.


In this case I meant the gold. Sorry, should've clarified.

"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws." http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/

 
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos





On the perfumed wind

The flesh on your reavers is some of the best I've seen. Really great. Thanks for posting. Will look in to the Scale 75 skin set!

“It was in lands of the Chi-An where she finally ran him to ground. There she kissed him deeply as he lay dying, and so stole from him his last, agonized breath.

On a delicate chain at her throat, she keeps it with her to this day.”
 
   
Made in au
Hacking Proxy Mk.1





Australia

Red_Zeke wrote:The flesh on your reavers is some of the best I've seen. Really great. Thanks for posting. Will look in to the Scale 75 skin set!


Lithlandis Stormcrow wrote:
 jonolikespie wrote:
The horns? No that was a... petroleum grey, then brown grey, then into the creams and white highlights.

I think. It was ages ago now.


In this case I meant the gold. Sorry, should've clarified.

I think the gold was over a lighter base, but probably too bright a gold to use and not washed back enough to fix it.

 Fafnir wrote:
Oh, I certainly vote with my dollar, but the problem is that that is not enough. The problem with the 'vote with your dollar' response is that it doesn't take into account why we're not buying the product. I want to enjoy 40k enough to buy back in. It was my introduction to traditional games, and there was a time when I enjoyed it very much. I want to buy 40k, but Gamesworkshop is doing their very best to push me away, and simply not buying their product won't tell them that.
 
   
Made in pt
Skillful Swordmaster




The Shadowlands of Nagarythe

Yeah, it does look that way.

"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws." http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/

 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




South Shields

Finished The Glottkin




   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





The Rock

Looks great Disco King but it's let down somewhat by the giant joint line down the leg...

AoV's Hobby Blog 29/04/18 The Tomb World stirs p44
How to take decent photos of your models
There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand
Most importantly, Win or Lose, always try to have fun.
Armies Legion: Dark Angels 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




South Shields

Thanks. I've never used green stuff or anything and tbh it doesn't bother me.I like to put them together,paint them and play with them
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





The Rock

DiscoKing wrote:
Thanks. I've never used green stuff or anything and tbh it doesn't bother me.I like to put them together,paint them and play with them


To be honest, you wouldn't really need green stuff for that. Just hitting it with an emery board would be fine to conceal the joint.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2016/01/24 21:56:52


AoV's Hobby Blog 29/04/18 The Tomb World stirs p44
How to take decent photos of your models
There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand
Most importantly, Win or Lose, always try to have fun.
Armies Legion: Dark Angels 
   
Made in pt
Skillful Swordmaster




The Shadowlands of Nagarythe

DiscoKing wrote:
Thanks. I've never used green stuff or anything and tbh it doesn't bother me.I like to put them together,paint them and play with them


More power to you

Looks great, all in all! Keep up the good work!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2016/01/25 10:11:47


"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws." http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/

 
   
Made in gb
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot





I think I have managed to (more or less) finish off my Beastmen!


40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Mongoose Publishing: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/ 
   
Made in se
Executing Exarch






You're a machine Matt 25mm bases for Ungor and 32mm for the Gor I take it?
   
Made in gb
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot





 Mymearan wrote:
25mm bases for Ungor and 32mm for the Gor I take it?


Indeed.

Something odd I have noticed, wonder if anyone else is the same...

Those 25mm rounds have been 'standard' for decades. Has anyone else come to very quickly find the 32mms to be standard and for the 25mms to seem a bit... small?

40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Mongoose Publishing: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/ 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





The Rock

MongooseMatt wrote:
 Mymearan wrote:
25mm bases for Ungor and 32mm for the Gor I take it?


Indeed.

Something odd I have noticed, wonder if anyone else is the same...

Those 25mm rounds have been 'standard' for decades. Has anyone else come to very quickly find the 32mms to be standard and for the 25mms to seem a bit... small?


Very much so. The 25mm bases used to annoy me as you could always guarantee that over time,the paint would rub off the feet of the models you were handling. These 32s make them fit very nicely with no overhang. Plus, those models in running poses can't tip over quite so easily (looking at you assault marines/chaos possessed)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2016/01/25 11:47:28


AoV's Hobby Blog 29/04/18 The Tomb World stirs p44
How to take decent photos of your models
There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand
Most importantly, Win or Lose, always try to have fun.
Armies Legion: Dark Angels 
   
 
Forum Index » AoS General Discussion
Go to: