Switch Theme:

DV8's PLog - [1-1-21] - Necron, OBR and Junkforce Photo Dump  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Dipping With Wood Stain





She's looking fantastic so far!

   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User





Good stuff. Whats the basing process?
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Tyrant of Badab






HATE Club, East London

That is looking even better than I expected it to.

Though guards may sleep and ships may lay at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire.
My blog - over 30 pages of Badab War, Eldar, undead and other assorted projects 
   
Made in ca
Dipping With Wood Stain





t.dot

Thanks @aku-chan and and @Fifty (tbf, what did you expect it to look like? )

laughablehat wrote:
Good stuff. Whats the basing process?


The pillars on the fronts are made from sculpey that I rolled into sausages, textured with a round pin, and then baked, cut, and crumbled. The floor tiling is also sculpey that was then rolled with GreenStuffWorld's ancestral ruin, baked, and cut to shape. The ground texture is Vallejo Texture paste. Part of the model's OG base incorporates some Greecian pillars and statues already, so I kept the motif continuing.

   
Made in ca
Dipping With Wood Stain





t.dot

With this whole COVID-19 forcing many workplaces to temporarily close (including mine), I've had an excess of free time.

So of course, what else am I going to do but finish models.














Next up on my plate is a couple of additions to my Nighthaunt collection (Olynder, Shadespire NH Crew, KoS on foot, a Spirit Torment, and 10 Revenants). With the cancellation of Adepticon and a lot of up-coming events, a number of my display pieces have taken the back burner and I've chosen to use this time to prioritize grinding through some of the meatier tabletop pieces I still have left. I don't expect the NH to take up more than a week, and afterwards I have a small Arena Rex crew and a BMG display board to do. From there, probably Infinity.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/17 06:40:49


   
Made in us
Enigmatic Exalted Daemon





Albany, NY

Brilliant take on the bonereapers, congrats on finishing the army man Wonderful contrast between that ashy bone and bright, edged armor, and a number of smart build choices that fix many of the derpier design choices Dub made. Also Neferata in green and gold

-------------

As for your next stuff, funnily enough I'm staring down the barrels of finally painting my Infinity SEF stuff or finally painting my own Arena Rex crew

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/04/17 15:27:47


KOW BATREPS: BLOODFIRE
INSTAGRAM: @boss_salvage 
   
Made in us
Maddening Mutant Boss of Chaos





Boston

Very impressive army! Well done!

   
Made in us
[SWAP SHOP MOD]
Barpharanges






Limbo

Absolutely beautiful army! Great work!

DS:80S+GM--B++I+Pwhfb/re#+D++A++/fWD-R+++T(O)DM+++

Madness and genius are separated by degrees of success.

Remember to follow the Swap Shop Rules and Guidelines! 
   
Made in ca
Tail-spinning Tomb Blade Pilot






A beautiful army, very well painted!

   
Made in gb
Dipping With Wood Stain





Your army is looking great!

   
Made in gb
Perfect Shot Black Templar Predator Pilot






London

The latest lot of scary bony boys are looking fantastic! Love the green and bone combo, and the vibrancy of the colours is really impressive.

Thanks for sharing



Relapse wrote:
Baron, don't forget to talk about the SEALs and Marines you habitually beat up on 2 and 3 at a time, as you PM'd me about.
nareik wrote:
Perhaps it is a lube issue, seems obvious now.
 
   
Made in ca
Dipping With Wood Stain





t.dot

Cheers for all the comments! I appreciate the support!

Boss Salvage wrote:Brilliant take on the bonereapers, congrats on finishing the army man Wonderful contrast between that ashy bone and bright, edged armor, and a number of smart build choices that fix many of the derpier design choices Dub made. Also Neferata in green and gold

-------------

As for your next stuff, funnily enough I'm staring down the barrels of finally painting my Infinity SEF stuff or finally painting my own Arena Rex crew


Yea, honestly a few design aesthetics about the army really irritate me, but were relatively easy to correct (the hamster wheel and bone ladders of the Crawler, the skull faces with noses that I just completely did away with, and even the multi-face heads of the Stalkers.

I'm doing my best to try and clear away as much of my meh backlog as possible during this time of quarantine. If (as I believe it will probably be the case here in Canada) we are stuck in isolation for at least one more month, I'll definitely be able to finish quite a few more projects!

   
Made in ca
Dipping With Wood Stain





t.dot

Snapped some better pics of Katakros:



I also finished a bunch of random odds and odds for my NH, including an extra 10 Revenants, some more Chainrasps (the Shadespire Crew), and Lady Olynder. The rest look the same as the army, so I won't bother posting more pics of the same, but here's Lady O, never to see the table unless her rules are rewritten or she sees a major points drop:




   
Made in gb
Bush? No, Eldar Ranger





United Kingdom

These are really beautiful I love the the red sand against the green on the models, the paint job and colour scheme are top notch I also paint in a high-contrast style like this.

Personally I don't like the black trim if these are meant to be played on the table. For display, yes. Let's say you have a really nice table to play these on with a similar theme - you would effectively have a black ring around all of your models draw your attention down to the base and not at the models. That's just me personally I know a lot of people love black rims. The hard thing though is that I can't even recommend something that would look better, I don't know if there would be. Black goes with everything. I feel like they look amazing though.

I just started a thread here if you want to take a look would appreciate critique.

Nice one.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/24 22:52:04


 
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User





Hey, any chance for a breakdown on how you did the OBR bases? sorry i just love ur bases lol
   
Made in ca
Dipping With Wood Stain





t.dot

Axel Dale wrote:These are really beautiful I love the the red sand against the green on the models, the paint job and colour scheme are top notch I also paint in a high-contrast style like this.

Personally I don't like the black trim if these are meant to be played on the table. For display, yes. Let's say you have a really nice table to play these on with a similar theme - you would effectively have a black ring around all of your models draw your attention down to the base and not at the models. That's just me personally I know a lot of people love black rims. The hard thing though is that I can't even recommend something that would look better, I don't know if there would be. Black goes with everything. I feel like they look amazing though.

I just started a thread here if you want to take a look would appreciate critique.

Nice one.


Honestly I think you just answered your own critique! Black goes with everything, and it's a universal way to "frame" each base so that it looks good on any tabletop. Most armies that don't black trim (especially GW, if you pay attention) will still paint the edge of the base in a darker color of one of the dominant base colors as a framing technique. It contrasts the base texture well and helps elevate the model. It's best to think of each base like a mini-plinth.

Conversely, there's something unfinished about a model whose base trim is painted in a color that's identical to the base top.

I've done black trims for years, and I'm probably going to keep doing it because it looks good.

laughablehat wrote:Hey, any chance for a breakdown on how you did the OBR bases? sorry i just love ur bases lol


They're actually remarkably simple.

  • Build your model, stick it to the base, and then paint everything while leaving the base blank.
  • Once everything is complete, get some Vallejo Brown Earth Texture Paste and slather it all over the base. This bottle says it cures within 30-45 minutes. I usually give a few hours depending on how thickly I've applied it.
  • Glue tufts on with superglue. I used the Winter Tufts from Army Painter. I let this cure for 24 hours, just in case.
  • I apply a liberal coating (dusting?) with pigment powder. I used Vallejo Burnt Umber for this army. It's best to over-apply, because the varnish will lighten it up a touch. It's also important to recognize that over time the pigment powder will fade, so expect to have to lightly reapply every so often.
  • Paint the base trim black, and varnish the model when dry.

  •    
    Made in gb
    Dipping With Wood Stain





    Lady O is looking great!

       
    Made in us
    Enigmatic Exalted Daemon





    Albany, NY

    Lady O is stunning, dig that blend on the rob and delicious gold at the top of the piece. Maybe the base is a little under-built? Tho the autumn leaves' somber vibe adds to her spooky tone.

    Also black rims forever.

    KOW BATREPS: BLOODFIRE
    INSTAGRAM: @boss_salvage 
       
    Made in ca
    Dipping With Wood Stain





    t.dot

     Boss Salvage wrote:
    Lady O is stunning, dig that blend on the rob and delicious gold at the top of the piece. Maybe the base is a little under-built? Tho the autumn leaves' somber vibe adds to her spooky tone.

    Also black rims forever.


    Yea she's less a display piece, and more tabletop painted for my army collection, so the base is done to match.

    Seraptek Heavy Construct from Forgeworld. Spent about 2 weeks on this sucker, painting all the parts that nobody will get to see.



    And trying a little something fun for this month's painting contest. My next few pieces will probably just be one-offs for fun before I jump into my Infinity.


    This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/09 22:05:43


       
    Made in de
    Longtime Dakkanaut






    to all the scratches on the construst, just the right amount of weathering! And excited to see the teased mini, now that's what a classic fantasy hero looks like.
       
    Made in us
    Enigmatic Exalted Daemon





    Albany, NY

    Really brilliant Seraptek, such great texture across it. Also matches your army so well that I would have sworn you converted it to match, if I didn't know it was a production sculpt.

    KOW BATREPS: BLOODFIRE
    INSTAGRAM: @boss_salvage 
       
    Made in ca
    Longtime Dakkanaut





    Surrey, BC - Canada

    Beautiful as always DV8.

    Cheers,

    CB

    36 successful trades in the Dakka Swap Shop. I have an ongoing Sale Thread there with painted Empire, Elysian and Tau armies looking for a new home. Un-painted Bretonnian metal army for sale.
    Finished Forge World Elysian Army | Finished Tau Sept Cadre | Finished Ork Waaagh | Alaitoc Eldar Warhost | Building Necromunda and Terrain
    Finished Order of Our Martyred Lady - Sisters of Battle | Finished Necromundian Imperial Guard Regiment | Finished a 1/72 Flower Class Corvette - HMCS CHILLIWACK
    DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
       
    Made in us
    Dipping With Wood Stain





    t.dot

    Finished Valten. Was a fun little piece to work on, and small enough to finish quickly and move on which was nice after the last few projects.



     Boss Salvage wrote:
    Really brilliant Seraptek, such great texture across it. Also matches your army so well that I would have sworn you converted it to match, if I didn't know it was a production sculpt.


    More like I deliberately made conversion choices (Triarch Spider Stalkers) to match the Seraptek! I really love the way the Seraptek was designed. I wish more of the Necron range followed suit.

    This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/12 23:28:25


       
    Made in gb
    Perfect Shot Black Templar Predator Pilot






    London

    Valten looks terrific and the necrons are as always looking really great



    Relapse wrote:
    Baron, don't forget to talk about the SEALs and Marines you habitually beat up on 2 and 3 at a time, as you PM'd me about.
    nareik wrote:
    Perhaps it is a lube issue, seems obvious now.
     
       
    Made in gb
    Dipping With Wood Stain





    The NMM on Valtens hammers is awesome!

       
    Made in gb
    Nimble Pistolier





    United Kingdom

    Oh lordy, these minis are looking fantastic. I'm not usually a fan of the AOS minis but you've really done wonders with your paintjob.

    Valten looks outstanding. I wish I had the ability to paint pinstripe like that.

       
    Made in us
    [SWAP SHOP MOD]
    Barpharanges






    Limbo

    Looks great DV8!

    And I wanted to echo the comments that those pants came out fabulous!

    DS:80S+GM--B++I+Pwhfb/re#+D++A++/fWD-R+++T(O)DM+++

    Madness and genius are separated by degrees of success.

    Remember to follow the Swap Shop Rules and Guidelines! 
       
    Made in jp
    Long-Range Black Templar Land Speeder Pilot





    Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan

    I'm absolutely in LOVE with the bases for those Bonereapers - could you post a link to the pigment powder you use, please? I'm having a tricky time finding it, but I would love to try and imitate those results!

    Other stuff is simply out of this world, too! And you've got whole armies painted like this? Unreal, simply unreal. Can't wait to see what you do next!

    Ongoing P&M shennanigans!
    Warband of the Pilgrim Saint - Marines and SoB, My first ever project! http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/664123.page
    Assorted Inquisition stuff! I get wierd with conversions sometimes! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/30/743187.page
    The Carpathian Tin Ghosts - Skitarii Rangers who don't want redemption - only to kill xenos. https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/748211.page
    Vaguely Coleridgian Eldar Friends https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/749595.page#9830499
    Care for a snifter of mine-tonic, comrade? Genestealers await the coming of the Black Emperor https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/757105.page
    The Moorendar 3rd and the Proselytes of the Drain Fly - Nurgle 40k https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/770536.page
    Haven't bought from GW since December 2019 - resist price hikes and unfair pricing outside of the UK  
       
    Made in us
    Dipping With Wood Stain





    t.dot

    Spent the past couple weeks pushing paint on these models. Wasn't terribly motivated; the sculpts are great, but the dynamicism of the sketches and concept art didn't quite translate (it's like the sculptors pulled their punches), and the casts themselves were just awful, which made it hard to get excited about painting these models. Still, they're done. Moving on to my Necromunda gang, and more updates on that soon!



    IGtR= wrote:Valten looks terrific and the necrons are as always looking really great

    '
    Thanks! I'm really excited to get my hands on the Newcrons coming out, but I want GW to wait until September-ish to release them so I can finish my MBA and wrap up a few other projects.

    aku-chan wrote:The NMM on Valtens hammers is awesome!


    Thanks! Channeled a bit of classic Confrontation on them, but kept it rough and painterly.

    howie wrote:Oh lordy, these minis are looking fantastic. I'm not usually a fan of the AOS minis but you've really done wonders with your paintjob.

    Valten looks outstanding. I wish I had the ability to paint pinstripe like that.


    Jin wrote:Looks great DV8!

    And I wanted to echo the comments that those pants came out fabulous!


    FAH-BU-LOOUUSSSSSS!!

    posermcbogus wrote:I'm absolutely in LOVE with the bases for those Bonereapers - could you post a link to the pigment powder you use, please? I'm having a tricky time finding it, but I would love to try and imitate those results!

    Other stuff is simply out of this world, too! And you've got whole armies painted like this? Unreal, simply unreal. Can't wait to see what you do next!


    Yup it's just Vallejo's Burnt Umber powders! 73.110 for the product code.

       
    Made in gb
    Dipping With Wood Stain





    Despite the lack of motivation you did a pretty awesome job on them!

       
     
    Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
    Go to: