Switch Theme:

The Darkflame Kabal - Update 6-05-11 - MOTHER - the dread Haemonculus!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

So after much preparation, I am finally revealing my in-progress Dark Eldar force: The Darkflame Kabal (name subject to change). [Pics below!]

I am not necessarily going with a specific theme, i.e. Wych Cult army, Haemonculi Coven, etc. (though this may also change) but am working on a variety of different units. I'm pretty ADD about the hobby, and am always hopping around a rotating set of different projects, but I am trying to at least build p a force i can put on a tabletop not too far down the road. With that in mind, here is what I am kind of working on right now:

HQ
-Archon (WIP)
-Haemonculi (1-3 WIP)

ELITES
-Trueborn (WIP)
-Venom (for the Trueborn)

TROOPS
-Warriors (WIP)
-Raider for the Warriors (WIP)
-Wracks (WIP)
-Raider for the Wracks

FAST ATTACK
(not sure yet)

HEAVY SUPPORT
-Razowing fighter
-Ravager

Without further ado, here are some pics of things that are built and ready for priming:

My female Haemonculus (named "Mother" she'll have a head from the Wyches set, the one with the dual ponytails ):







My Webway Portal:





And an almost finished Warrior, showing my basic color scheme:



My first Trueborn:



Some special helmets, for the Trueborn:



And some bare heads wearing skulls as masks (probably to be used for Beastmasters at some point in the future):



Any feedback, suggestions, or commentary much appreciated!

-C6

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 2011/06/05 23:20:20


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Scotland

Some nice conversions so far. Will be following another fellow DE collector.

Mary Sue wrote: Perkustin is even more awesome than me!



 
   
Made in gb
Khorne Veteran Marine with Chain-Axe





uk

Like the skull mask Idea for the beastmasters hope to see more pics soon, I am just starting A Dark Eldar force too.

'You can be my steed, galloping into battle and bitchslapping the enemy.'

3000pts The Heralds of Contamination
2000pts The Blood Lords
The Scions of Change 2000pts
1000pts
1500pts Kabal of the Laughing Oni

My P and M blog KIllmaim's Kreations http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/347414.page 
   
Made in be
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





The Fortress Of Macragge

sweet start keep it up

5000pts W15-D10-L6



 
   
Made in ca
Hacking Shang Jí





Calgary, Great White North

Looking forward to seeing more of the haemonculous, the 'hairfire' is a great idea.

   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

Mastiff wrote:Looking forward to seeing more of the haemonculous, the 'hairfire' is a great idea.


I assume that you're referring to the stuff underneath the Haemonculus' feet holding her aloft. I figure it's like magical fire or something, since the lower body for her comes from a IoB High Elf Mage model. I'm not sure what I want it to represent, or how to paint it, but it does look pretty cool, and adds to the "look at me, I'm a scary floaty Haemonculus" look

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I have been keeping an eye out for DE plogs, but there aren't that many. Now that I finally settled on my purple-y scheme (I originally had a red scheme that I wasn't quite satisfied with), I am gonna try to get this force whipped into shape! I have two more Trueborn, my Warriors' Raider, a Wrack prototype, and a Grotesque prototype in the pipeline, as well as several warriors being painted. Keep your eyes on this thread for more Black-flamery!

-C6
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

I got some models primed this weekend, since it finally got warm enough to do it! Yay for above-freezing temperatures! When I get some paint on them, I'll post more pics, but for the meantime, here are two more WIPs:

First off, my first Wrack!





I tried various other ideas for legs, but just couldn't find one I liked as much as the new Mandrakes. So I bought two boxes of Mandrakes, and will be converting them extensively. I am not going to do the usual totally-out-of-control mutated chaotic gribbly madness for my Wracks. It seems to me that Haemonculi have access to the most advanced tech in the entire galaxy - why can't their creations have some style? That's my personal take.

And another Trueborn. Jumping on the 5-man Blaster-iffic bandwagon (or band-Venom) here:







As always, love to hear feedback, comments, advice, critiques, etc.

-C6
   
Made in us
Furious Raptor






Earth

I think....AND HOPE, that you are going to do an amazing job with these.

1500 vs 1500 -40k
2500 vs 2500 -fantasy

 
   
Made in fi
Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





Hellsinki, Finland

Looks promising.
Nice idea to use Mandrakes as a base for the Wracks and I love the stargate feeling I get from the Webway Portal. Engine of the Gods maybe? And the cloaks for the Trueborn are from the plastic Phoenix Guards, right?

I also go by the name of Vicard on Advanced Tau Tactica.
Go see my project log here: Igandris’ Miscellaneous Sundries
Or my =][=munda log here: Dark dealings on Prekora 
   
Made in se
Nasty Nob





'Ere an dere


For a moment I was under the impression that the trophy rack was her head
Keep it up! I think the new DE are all looking so very cool, I might buy some to convert my eldar.

idolator wrote:That Nob is carrying a big honking gun that happens to have two barrels. You could call it a twin-linked shoota if you want, you could also call it Susan.


My Eldar Blog

THE DARK CITY, A Dark Eldar Dedicated Forum! 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

Igandris wrote:Looks promising.
Nice idea to use Mandrakes as a base for the Wracks and I love the stargate feeling I get from the Webway Portal. Engine of the Gods maybe? And the cloaks for the Trueborn are from the plastic Phoenix Guards, right?


A lot of folks have been using the WHFB Empire Flagellants bodies, and I tried that, with a Wych torso, but didn't quite like it. I LOVE the hakama that the Mandrakes are wearing, and liked the models, but had no plans of using Mandrakes in my list. Then a light bulb went off in my head, and here we are!

The Webway Portal is indeed an Engine of the Gods from the WHFB Lizardmen range. I was imagining that it's some super-ancient bit of alien technology that the Haemonculus/Archon has lying around. I bought the Stegadon just because it was so cool, and got the idea to use the Engine afterwards. There actually is a bunch in that kit that will end up decorating parts of my Kabal. It's a great kit. The portal got primed yesterday, and I am now trying to decide how to paint it. Anncient-looking stone? Ancient-looking metal?

And the Trueborn are indeed all dressed up in Phoenix Guard cloaks. Since it has a flame pattern along the bottom of the cloak, it fits perfectly into my army's theme. And since the Phoenix Guard are High Elves, the scale is exactly the same as Dark Eldar (Dark Elves too, and some of their bitz are in my conversions as well).

Hopefully tonight more pics. Thanks for the good words guys!

-C6
   
Made in se
Nasty Nob





'Ere an dere

catharsix wrote:And the Trueborn are indeed all dressed up in Phoenix Guard cloaks. Since it has a flame pattern along the bottom of the cloak, it fits perfectly into my army's theme. And since the Phoenix Guard are High Elves, the scale is exactly the same as Dark Eldar (Dark Elves too, and some of their bitz are in my conversions as well).

Hmm... Now a lightbulb went off in MY head! What about using those cloaks... on Fire Dragons?

BTW, what are you going to base your grotescues from (just an assumption that you will include that since you have a haemonculi as first HQ, I may be naive)?

idolator wrote:That Nob is carrying a big honking gun that happens to have two barrels. You could call it a twin-linked shoota if you want, you could also call it Susan.


My Eldar Blog

THE DARK CITY, A Dark Eldar Dedicated Forum! 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

Saintspirit wrote:
catharsix wrote:And the Trueborn are indeed all dressed up in Phoenix Guard cloaks. Since it has a flame pattern along the bottom of the cloak, it fits perfectly into my army's theme. And since the Phoenix Guard are High Elves, the scale is exactly the same as Dark Eldar (Dark Elves too, and some of their bitz are in my conversions as well).

Hmm... Now a lightbulb went off in MY head! What about using those cloaks... on Fire Dragons?

BTW, what are you going to base your grotesques from (just an assumption that you will include that since you have a haemonculi as first HQ, I may be naive)?


Your assumption is correct! I love to convert, so the grotesques are an even bigger challenge than the Wracks. I am basing them off of IoB Rat Ogre torsos, with masked heads, and am still trying to figure out appropriate legs. Any suggestions welcome! If I was a better freehand GS sculptor, I would make hakama like the Mandrakes. But I don't think I could pull it off. I've thought about commissioning someone to do it for me, but haven't found anyone with the skills to do so yet.
   
Made in nl
Sybarite Swinging an Agonizer







I really like the mandrake body for the wracks

1250 Eldar
1250 Dark Eldar (still building)
DE Kabal fluff
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/338476.page

Human: Why are you so cruel.
DE: Why not. 
   
Made in se
Nasty Nob





'Ere an dere

catharsix wrote:
Saintspirit wrote:
catharsix wrote:And the Trueborn are indeed all dressed up in Phoenix Guard cloaks. Since it has a flame pattern along the bottom of the cloak, it fits perfectly into my army's theme. And since the Phoenix Guard are High Elves, the scale is exactly the same as Dark Eldar (Dark Elves too, and some of their bitz are in my conversions as well).

Hmm... Now a lightbulb went off in MY head! What about using those cloaks... on Fire Dragons?

BTW, what are you going to base your grotesques from (just an assumption that you will include that since you have a haemonculi as first HQ, I may be naive)?


Your assumption is correct!

Yay!

catharsix wrote:I love to convert, so the grotesques are an even bigger challenge than the Wracks. I am basing them off of IoB Rat Ogre torsos, with masked heads, and am still trying to figure out appropriate legs. Any suggestions welcome!

Maybe use some of the FW Berserker Ogryns? They have masks...

idolator wrote:That Nob is carrying a big honking gun that happens to have two barrels. You could call it a twin-linked shoota if you want, you could also call it Susan.


My Eldar Blog

THE DARK CITY, A Dark Eldar Dedicated Forum! 
   
Made in ca
Powerful Spawning Champion





Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Great conversions. Eager to see a group of them painted up.

   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

Saintspirit wrote:

catharsix wrote:I love to convert, so the grotesques are an even bigger challenge than the Wracks. I am basing them off of IoB Rat Ogre torsos, with masked heads, and am still trying to figure out appropriate legs. Any suggestions welcome!

Maybe use some of the FW Berserker Ogryns? They have masks...


If I was willing to pay FW prices! And also, I don't want the dirty/grubby/rickety look of the Nurgle-oriented FW renegades (se my commentary above about Wracks). I already have the masks - I am using the skull-faceplate mask thing from the Defiler kit (I have about 5 or so). The big problem I'm having is legs...
   
Made in gb
Twisted Trueborn with Blaster






Northern Ireland

Lookin really good!

I havent seen many DE Blogs from highly skilled people yet and it looks like yours will be.

Any ideas where your going to get all the blast weapons from yet? Ive only got 1 warrior box and a couple of raiders so far, but the lack of special weapons in the boxes is going to make it difficult for the lovely trueborn 'band-venom' that weve not just jumped on, but won round the world tickets on!

Definately some nice ideas with the mandrake bodies for example. I can see the tactical and economical advantages whilst being able to make use for these nice models!

Looking forward to seeing some paint! Hopefuly you work faster than me. Im holding my blog off til I get a head start with it otherwise it will go as stagnant as my space marine one lol.

Full on, Full on! 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

Newt-Of-Death wrote:Lookin really good!

I havent seen many DE Blogs from highly skilled people yet and it looks like yours will be.

Any ideas where your going to get all the blast weapons from yet? Ive only got 1 warrior box and a couple of raiders so far, but the lack of special weapons in the boxes is going to make it difficult for the lovely trueborn 'band-venom' that weve not just jumped on, but won round the world tickets on!

Definately some nice ideas with the mandrake bodies for example. I can see the tactical and economical advantages whilst being able to make use for these nice models!

Looking forward to seeing some paint! Hopefuly you work faster than me. Im holding my blog off til I get a head start with it otherwise it will go as stagnant as my space marine one lol.


Thanks for the praise! I think I am a better converter than painter - but I have ~4 or so Warriors almost finished, so when I get them done, y'all can be the judge

As to where to get Blasters, it can be tricky, and they can be expensive. I personally use this site very frequently:

www.letthedicedecide.co.uk

They don't ALWAYS have everything in stock, but they restock WAY more often than any webstore I know of. They have very good customer service, and their prices are very reasonable, even if you're in the USA or Canada, and are paying for international shipping. I have been buying from them for about a year, and make a purchase every other month or more. Also, you can try your luck on eBay, but more often than not individual high-demand bits like blasters will get bid up to around $7 or more, so you might as well just buy them from a webstore.
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

Howdy folks, long time no update :( That's the grad student lifestyle - hustlin' for the man for peanuts while you're figuring out the big secrets to life, the universe and everything (which will also get you exactly peanuts. But here are some WIPs.

First off, my Warriors' Raider, in my general army color scheme:



Close-up of front hull decoration:



And as reference here's another Warrior I finished (mostly):



And I'm almost done with my first Trueborn! He'll have a power sword in his left hand, and a shield bracing the left arm:



Side view:



Back of cape - flamey!



As always comments, advice, criticism, lavish praise heartily accepted!
   
Made in gb
Twisted Trueborn with Blaster






Northern Ireland

Nice!

Was a bit scared when I saw the Raider at first glance, but then I saw its a work in progress, which was apparant after seeing the warriors.

I see youve gone for the greeney glow! I intend to do something a bit like that too but I want it to be a bit more subtle. Got myself some Vallejo fluo green.

The flames are a nice touch too and the 2 tones of purple go really well together.

Tried them out much in game yet? Ive got 2 1.5k games tomorrow for our tournament thing. Eldar and a rival Dark Eldar kabal I think. Well I hope, otherwise its eldar then wolves! And my army list will be balls.

I see you like your Douglas Adams! Fellow fanatic myself.

Full on, Full on! 
   
Made in au
Sneaky Striking Scorpion






I love the blue flames on your Trueborn capes. It gives it such a unique touch. And your haemonculus (great minds MUST think alike) looks fantastic.

*Subscribed*

   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

Newt-Of-Death wrote:Nice!

Was a bit scared when I saw the Raider at first glance, but then I saw its a work in progress, which was apparant after seeing the warriors.

I see youve gone for the greeney glow! I intend to do something a bit like that too but I want it to be a bit more subtle. Got myself some Vallejo fluo green.

The flames are a nice touch too and the 2 tones of purple go really well together.

Tried them out much in game yet? Ive got 2 1.5k games tomorrow for our tournament thing. Eldar and a rival Dark Eldar kabal I think. Well I hope, otherwise its eldar then wolves! And my army list will be balls.

I see you like your Douglas Adams! Fellow fanatic myself.


Thanks for the kind words. I did some more work on this stuff today, and I'm happy with how the Trueborn in particular turned out. More pics of finished stuff later.

I pcked up a few more paints today including a lighter yellow-y greeney color to highlight that even more. We'll see how it works out.

As to playing, I don't even have enough stuff assembled for a game! I am gonna hang out with my only local gamer friend on Monday, and we may play a game with his armies (nids and sisters) but it will be a little time before I can field a force. Good luck on your battles though! Tell us how you slaughtered them!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/03/05 07:00:12


 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

My digital camera went missing for a few days, but I finaly found it, so here are some more updates!

First off, I finished my first Trueborn:





I'm working on more blaster-boys, just like every other DE player out there...

And WRACKS!



a couple individuals:







(sorry for the fuzziness of a couple of the pics)

I am trying to focus on getting a full 10-man squad of Wracks assembled and primed so I can begin painting them as my other Troops Choice. Also, finishing Raider, Warriors squad, and the female Haemonculus.

As usual, commentary greatly appreciated!

-C6
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

I finally painted up a Wrack! I have 5 primed, and now that I have hammered out the color scheme and method, I hope to be able to get them done quickly. I am also working on an Angels Encarmine army as well as an incipient Necron force (in anticipation of their eventual re-release) so I haven't been making very fast progress. But without further ado, here is WRACK #1:







As you can see, I used the Mandrakes as a base for these guys. I like the Mandrake models, but not their rules, but do plan to populate my army with a bunch of Wracks, hence the conversions. Now that I've gotten a glimpse of the Wracks that will be released soon, I'm satisfied that they will go together relatively well. Though the Mandrakes are in WAY more dynamic poses than the rather stiff (but otherwise pretty cool) Wrack releases.

I'll try to post more pics soon. Like I said, I should be able to update more frequently, as school has ended and I've gotten a system for the scheme for these guys. C & C alsways encouraged and appreciated. Thanks Dakka!

-C6
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Dankhold Troggoth






Shadeglass Maze

I love your wracks! (Came here from the DE N&R thread where you linked to it). Using the mandrake legs/torsoes is a great idea...

Do their arms and head come separate, or did you have to hack them off?

   
Made in us
Grovelin' Grot Rigger





I like the Wracks, I see why you sold me the other ones these look sick. And I like the conversions you have done for the Trueborn as well, also where did you get the legs for the homunculus? They look fantastic.

Armies:
Space Wolves - 2000 pts (3000 pts with very very little proxy)
Orks - 6000 pts
Dark Eldar - 1000 pts

Ork Log

Death Fears Me! The central Oregon tournament series!
Click here! 
   
Made in us
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General





Beijing, China

love the mandrake conversion, the portal and some of the trueborn bits. Gives me a lot of ideas, unfortuneatly I just finished my first squad of wracks and my third squad of true blasters.

Dark Mechanicus and Renegade Iron Hand Dakka Blog
My Dark Mechanicus P&M Blog. Mostly Modeling as I paint very slowly. Lots of kitbashed conversions of marines and a few guard to make up a renegade Iron Hand chapter and Dark Mechanicus Allies. Bionics++  
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

RiTides wrote:I love your wracks! (Came here from the DE N&R thread where you linked to it). Using the mandrake legs/torsoes is a great idea...

Do their arms and head come separate, or did you have to hack them off?



Thanks! I'm glad my shameless, off-topic plug for this plog got a little crossover traffic

The Mandrakes come in 2 pieces: The body, head, and weapon-holding arm is one piece. The other arms (the left I believe) with the spooky dark-space-elf-fire is a separate piece. So I hacked off the head (though after painting him, I think that I should have carved off the hair that is fowing down the back, but too late now). I also carefully cut off the right arms, and kept those bits for potential conversions or trades. Anyone who wants 10 or so sinister looking blades attached to arms for quick and easy sinister conversions, drop me a PM! (Actually I have a bunch of great metal bits, like the Archon stuff etc.).

-C6
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





Orange County, California, USA

Grie Velorn wrote:I like the Wracks, I see why you sold me the other ones these look sick. And I like the conversions you have done for the Trueborn as well, also where did you get the legs for the homunculus? They look fantastic.


Thanks man! The wrack stuff I sold you is easier conversion material, since it's all plastic, and I REALLY hate working with metal, but I just really like the hakama the Mandrakes are wearing.

The Haemonculus' lower body is from the Island of Blood WHFB box starter game High Elf Mage. One or two other folks ahve used a similar conversion (though I think we all came up with the idea completely independent of each other). You can get the fig for just a couple of bucks on eBay usually.

-C6

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/05/24 14:01:21


 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: