Switch Theme:

Gamer Beware - Pay It Forward Campaign  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Banelord Titan Princeps of Khorne






This is just a friendly warning/caution out to the gamer community.

The Pay It Forward Campaign looks all nice and rosy, and awesome too, but this just popped up over at 40kforums.

http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthread.php/28319-Pay-It-Forward-Confirmed-April-Prize-List-Yes-its-Free-to-enter.?p=548714#post548714

Note, KP13 is Dakka's own Alpharius. I'm just spreading the word, I'd hate for someone to end up in the same boat as Alpharius by getting involved in something like this. I think we can all agree that really sucks.

Veriamp wrote:I have emerged from my lurking to say one thing. When Mat taught the Necrons to feel, he taught me to love.

Whitedragon Paints! http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/613745.page 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Omadon's Realm

The karmic freight train is looking for redstarone...

The dakkanauts should demonstrate their anger at this mistreatment of one of our own.

Set fire to the interwebs my pretties!! Take up thy rod and thy staff and smite the redstarone where-ever you may find it, for it is anathema and does offend us!

Troll that thieving scum until the stars grow dim.

Here is where he lurks...
http://miniaturewargameconversions.blogspot.com/search/label/give%20away%20raffle



 
   
Made in gb
Noble of the Alter Kindred




United Kingdom

Would I be cynical in thinking that "Pay it Forward, Never Get it Back" is the real name of the game?




 
   
Made in us
Nigel Stillman





Seattle WA

Chibi Bodge-Battle wrote:Would I be cynical in thinking that "Pay it Forward, Never Get it Back" is the real name of the game?





You should read RSO's responses to all this.

Its along the lines of

Oh Noes! How will I get people to trust me so I can turn around and scam them for all their monies now?


Except in somewhat cruder language.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/03/24 01:22:54



See more on Know Your Meme 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Eternal Plague

If you want the complete story here-

Alpharius has posted it in several threads across the web where RSO maintains a web presence.

RSO cannot comment here as he is banned from these forums.

But the issue is between Alpharius, RSO, and anyone else RSO has scammed.

   
Made in gb
Lord Commander in a Plush Chair





Beijing

I groaned to see the name 'redstarone' again having read through the previous thread. Isn't there a trail of people trying to get their stuff/money back or is it just Alpharius now?
   
Made in us
Banelord Titan Princeps of Khorne






Howard A Treesong wrote:I groaned to see the name 'redstarone' again having read through the previous thread. Isn't there a trail of people trying to get their stuff/money back or is it just Alpharius now?


I know of at least one other.

I'd just hate for people to go sending stuff for a "Pay It Forward" campaign only to have it not go to its intended destination. Gamer Beware is all, enter at your own risk. The rest of the stuff, the "history" so to speak, is all over the net if anybody wants to do their research. Good starting reading is this:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/290901.page

Veriamp wrote:I have emerged from my lurking to say one thing. When Mat taught the Necrons to feel, he taught me to love.

Whitedragon Paints! http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/613745.page 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Eternal Plague

Howard A Treesong wrote:I groaned to see the name 'redstarone' again having read through the previous thread. Isn't there a trail of people trying to get their stuff/money back or is it just Alpharius now?


Alpharius has pitched the idea around to other mods/DCM members behind closed doors. He's tired of the wait and the stonewalls he gets from RSO (either through messages not getting received, rhetoric, ect.), but the trail of others abused by RSO is long. He was really pissed to see RSO starting up a competition/give away service while still in debt to Alpharius for the models and money Alpharius sent.


Bartertown thread against him:
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=103991&hilit=redstarone&sid=8a73c64b5b3e4caf73da3afba1f4d4ae&start=15

He also has some sort of history with RogueMarket.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/03/24 01:30:24


   
Made in us
Hunter with Harpoon Laucher




Castle Clarkenstein

Karmabombs are nasty when they go off. RSO has several due to him.

....and lo!.....The Age of Sigmar came to an end when Saint Veetock and his hamster legions smote the false Sigmar and destroyed the bubbleverse and lead the true believers back to the Old World.
 
   
Made in us
Thrall Wizard of Tzeentch





Seriously, what the hell people. we are not the police of the internet.

let the real police deal with it. Alpharius needs to contact REAL legal authority, not spread slander about another gamer. its bs, and childish.

NONE of us know what is going on. RSO could be under attack from a few internet nerds who saw a chance to scam some free gak off of Pay it forward.

as much as the 40k community wants to jump down someones back for perceved wrongdoings, its turning into a bunch of bs and hearsay.

this is not a witch hunt.
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos






Lake Forest, California, South Orange County

Dare I ask where RSO lives? Not his address specifically, but the city and state.
At $1300 lost Alpharius should be contacting RSO's local police and pressing charges for mail fraud which is a felony as we all know.

in response to Rahveel: /witchhunt

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/03/24 01:53:40


"Bryan always said that if the studio ever had to mix with the manufacturing and sales part of the business it would destroy the studio. And I have to say – he wasn’t wrong there! ... It’s become the promotions department of a toy company." -- Rick Priestly
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




You linked to a thread on our forum. Specifically this is embarrassing to me, as I will be quoted out of context.

Your member who is our KP13...does have a disagreement with Redstarone. This should be being handled between the two of them.

I know for a fact what the problem has been, and what red has done to make amends.

There is no problem with Pay it Forward. There is no problem with Redstarone. He had some stuff to deal with that caused some delays. He has always been forward with information especially about the giveaways of Pay it Forward.

It's trolls that are killing the gaming community. Do not let the rants of one person kill this movement.

I urge dakka to not defend it's own members simply because they are members. Hell, now I'm a member, so that means you defend me too right?

Look at the facts, find out for yourselves if you must. But don't lynch a man for doing a good thing.

I hope your mods look into this, and either close it to eliminate further false claims, or simply delete it to protect the good names of those involved.

And seriously ignore the post on 40kforums, as most of the information is either exaggerated or wrong. As 1300 dollars of discrepancy would be a felony, traceable through receipts that DO exist. Red would be in legal trouble, not 'internet trouble' if this were real.

Ken, I'm sorry you feel wronged, but I know Matt has done plenty to rectify it all. The delays you asked for by adding new commissions, the delays from personal things that were publicized, and the ever increasing amount of money to which you feel entitled.


Dakka, I have never visited your forum, but I know you cannot be less prone to seeking the truth than I am.

Please show me that I'm right, and do not spread this as lynching, hate-fueled rhetoric and rumours
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos






Lake Forest, California, South Orange County

Alpharius isn't some random troll here. He's a mod with thousands and thousands of posts. He's been part of this community for years. Incidentally, RSO has been banned from these specific forums.

It doesn't matter what outside circumstances there are, mail fraud is a felony. Just the same as it doesn't matter if your wife died and you robbed a bank. There is no excuse. A few times I myself have had setbacks for trade projects, but I always try to keep on top of them. I've had to have my wife send out models while I was in the hospital on things that I knew were overdue. If I can manage this anyone can.


"Bryan always said that if the studio ever had to mix with the manufacturing and sales part of the business it would destroy the studio. And I have to say – he wasn’t wrong there! ... It’s become the promotions department of a toy company." -- Rick Priestly
 
   
Made in us
Hauptmann




Diligently behind a rifle...

Is it ironic that his "Pay it forward" symbol is pyramid shaped?


Catachan LIX "Lords Of Destruction" - Put Away

1943-1944 Era 1250 point Großdeutchland Force - Bolt Action

"The best medicine for Wraithlords? Multilasers. The best way to kill an Avatar? Lasguns."

"Time to pour out some liquor for the pinkmisted Harlequins"

Res Ipsa Loquitor 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




I don't care who the person is, how well respected he is, or anything outside of the truth.

Truly I feel bad that Ken feels wronged (if ken is alpharius then my report will go directly to him, and we'll see what happens.)

All I'm saying is that the 'charity' movement: Pay it Forward is not a scam.

I hope that if Red feels the need to stop doing it because of these claims, that the community will still be accepting of the movement under new management.

I want it noted, that I never referred to anyone as a troll. I never meant to insult anyone. But there are many discrepancies that I'm sure most of you are not privy to.

My only request is that...you ALL think before you post. And don't ruin what has been one of the coolest ideas in our gaming community in a long time.

I urge anyone who feels wronged by Red to say so in the proper places...not to publicly deface him where he cannot defend himself

And for certain, do not quote Our forum or me specifically out of context or without real knowledge.

I just want this handled tactfully and kindly.

I hope this can be my last post on the matter.
   
Made in us
Banelord Titan Princeps of Khorne






Architechnic wrote:You linked to a thread on our forum. Specifically this is embarrassing to me, as I will be quoted out of context.

Your member who is our KP13...does have a disagreement with Redstarone. This should be being handled between the two of them.

I know for a fact what the problem has been, and what red has done to make amends.

There is no problem with Pay it Forward. There is no problem with Redstarone. He had some stuff to deal with that caused some delays. He has always been forward with information especially about the giveaways of Pay it Forward.

It's trolls that are killing the gaming community. Do not let the rants of one person kill this movement.

I urge dakka to not defend it's own members simply because they are members. Hell, now I'm a member, so that means you defend me too right?

Look at the facts, find out for yourselves if you must. But don't lynch a man for doing a good thing.

I hope your mods look into this, and either close it to eliminate further false claims, or simply delete it to protect the good names of those involved.

And seriously ignore the post on 40kforums, as most of the information is either exaggerated or wrong. As 1300 dollars of discrepancy would be a felony, traceable through receipts that DO exist. Red would be in legal trouble, not 'internet trouble' if this were real.

Ken, I'm sorry you feel wronged, but I know Matt has done plenty to rectify it all. The delays you asked for by adding new commissions, the delays from personal things that were publicized, and the ever increasing amount of money to which you feel entitled.


Dakka, I have never visited your forum, but I know you cannot be less prone to seeking the truth than I am.

Please show me that I'm right, and do not spread this as lynching, hate-fueled rhetoric and rumours


Architechnic, Alpharius is still owed things by RSO. That is not a "rumor", its fact, that both have acknowledged. You say "work it out", but why wouldn't RSO be willing to use his Pay It Forward campaign to foster some gamer help from the community and get Alpharius his stuff back?

You are wrong about what is killing the community. It's actually "trolls" like you, that only want to get free things for nothing, regardless of what the cost is. And, as an addendum, why wouldn't you want to participate in "Paying It Forward" by pledging some of your own stuff towards helping out a less fortunate gamer, or one that has been owed something they will never receive?

THAT is what's killing the community, allowing something like this to make us think getting something for free is worth more than doing the right thing.

Veriamp wrote:I have emerged from my lurking to say one thing. When Mat taught the Necrons to feel, he taught me to love.

Whitedragon Paints! http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/613745.page 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Eternal Plague

Architechnic wrote:You linked to a thread on our forum. Specifically this is embarrassing to me, as I will be quoted out of context.

Your member who is our KP13...does have a disagreement with Redstarone. This should be being handled between the two of them.

I know for a fact what the problem has been, and what red has done to make amends.

There is no problem with Pay it Forward. There is no problem with Redstarone. He had some stuff to deal with that caused some delays. He has always been forward with information especially about the giveaways of Pay it Forward.

It's trolls that are killing the gaming community. Do not let the rants of one person kill this movement.

I urge dakka to not defend it's own members simply because they are members. Hell, now I'm a member, so that means you defend me too right?

Look at the facts, find out for yourselves if you must. But don't lynch a man for doing a good thing.

I hope your mods look into this, and either close it to eliminate further false claims, or simply delete it to protect the good names of those involved.

And seriously ignore the post on 40kforums, as most of the information is either exaggerated or wrong. As 1300 dollars of discrepancy would be a felony, traceable through receipts that DO exist. Red would be in legal trouble, not 'internet trouble' if this were real.

Ken, I'm sorry you feel wronged, but I know Matt has done plenty to rectify it all. The delays you asked for by adding new commissions, the delays from personal things that were publicized, and the ever increasing amount of money to which you feel entitled.


Dakka, I have never visited your forum, but I know you cannot be less prone to seeking the truth than I am.

Please show me that I'm right, and do not spread this as lynching, hate-fueled rhetoric and rumours


Welcome to DakkaDakka.

KP13 on your forum is Alpharius on our forum; a Moderator with 30,000+ posts here. He is an outstanding member that has a catalogue of his transactions with RSO. Alpharius has taken actions on his own. If you like to speak with him and find more details to his situation, I would encourage you to speak with him regarding the matter.

Further, I do NOT speak for DakkaDakka or Alpharius, but do encourage dialogue to see what if you can make happen your wishes with Alpharius.

EDIT: I forgot to add a NOT in there.

Repeat: I do NOT speak for DD or Alph.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2011/03/24 02:13:29


   
Made in us
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General






Home Base: Waconia, MN (Minneapolis)

@Architechnic

Bought his BS huh buddy? There was an extremely lengthly thread of people who had been screwed by RSO before he was banned from this forum. Alpharius has attempted to pursue legal means thru the authorities but was told it was not worth their involvement. It's a cross state issue so he can't even show up in the local office and file charges.

But that's cool dude, buy his bullshitza

Best Painted (2015 Adepticon 40k Champs)

They Shall Know Fear - Adepticon 40k TT Champion (2012 & 2013) & 40k TT Best Sport (2014), 40k TT Best Tactician (2015 & 2016) 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







Architechnic wrote:You linked to a thread on our forum. Specifically this is embarrassing to me, as I will be quoted out of context.

Your member who is our KP13...does have a disagreement with Redstarone. This should be being handled between the two of them.

I know for a fact what the problem has been, and what red has done to make amends.

There is no problem with Pay it Forward. There is no problem with Redstarone. He had some stuff to deal with that caused some delays. He has always been forward with information especially about the giveaways of Pay it Forward.

It's trolls that are killing the gaming community. Do not let the rants of one person kill this movement.

I urge dakka to not defend it's own members simply because they are members. Hell, now I'm a member, so that means you defend me too right?

Look at the facts, find out for yourselves if you must. But don't lynch a man for doing a good thing.

I hope your mods look into this, and either close it to eliminate further false claims, or simply delete it to protect the good names of those involved.

And seriously ignore the post on 40kforums, as most of the information is either exaggerated or wrong. As 1300 dollars of discrepancy would be a felony, traceable through receipts that DO exist. Red would be in legal trouble, not 'internet trouble' if this were real.

Ken, I'm sorry you feel wronged, but I know Matt has done plenty to rectify it all. The delays you asked for by adding new commissions, the delays from personal things that were publicized, and the ever increasing amount of money to which you feel entitled.


Dakka, I have never visited your forum, but I know you cannot be less prone to seeking the truth than I am.

Please show me that I'm right, and do not spread this as lynching, hate-fueled rhetoric and rumours


First of all, I have TRIED to work it out with Matt.

The last commissions were finished THIRTEEN MONTHS ago, and completely paid for then.

Honestly, it is ALL spelled out clearly and truthfully in the initial posts I made.

Matt refuses to ship what he owes me, leaving me no choice really, but to try one last attempt to get him to do the right thing.

Clearly, he has no interest in doing so.

That is his choice, of course, though it isn't the right one.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Omadon's Realm

Architechnic wrote:
I know for a fact what the problem has been, and what red has done to make amends.

I urge dakka to not defend it's own members simply because they are members. Hell, now I'm a member, so that means you defend me too right?

Look at the facts, find out for yourselves if you must. But don't lynch a man for doing a good thing.

I hope your mods look into this, and either close it to eliminate further false claims, or simply delete it to protect the good names of those involved.



Alpharius is not just a member here, he's our mod, in good standing here with thousands of posts, continuous good service to the site and a flawless rep.

Several others posted on this site about not being paid by redstarone. The charges have been ongoing and the amounts unpaid for YEARS, this has been dealt with privately by Alpharius until now, again, for YEARS of patience and waiting for his money. He posted on your site and several others through sheer frustration.

We have been presented with the facts. We find redstarone guilty as charged.



 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

Architechnic wrote:You linked to a thread on our forum. Specifically this is embarrassing to me, as I will be quoted out of context.

Your member who is our KP13...does have a disagreement with Redstarone. This should be being handled between the two of them.

I know for a fact what the problem has been, and what red has done to make amends.

Enlighten us then.

There is no problem with Pay it Forward. There is no problem with Redstarone. He had some stuff to deal with that caused some delays. He has always been forward with information especially about the giveaways of Pay it Forward.

When the reply that RSO gives is "Stop harassing me" not "I sent you your stuff"...
It smells fishy.

It's trolls that are killing the gaming community. Do not let the rants of one person kill this movement.

What "movement"? "Pay It Forward" as an idea is fantastic--but at the same time, people sure as hell shouldn't be surprised that some are exploiting the idea to get free stuff. Excuse me for cynicism--but when someone can't simply take the time to make arrangements to have packages picked up from their home, yet can take the time to arrange payments?

There's something fishy going on.

I urge dakka to not defend it's own members simply because they are members. Hell, now I'm a member, so that means you defend me too right?

Look at the facts, find out for yourselves if you must. But don't lynch a man for doing a good thing.

I hope your mods look into this, and either close it to eliminate further false claims, or simply delete it to protect the good names of those involved.

What "good names of those involved"? Ken's the only one who has a reputation worth a damn in this.

And seriously ignore the post on 40kforums, as most of the information is either exaggerated or wrong. As 1300 dollars of discrepancy would be a felony, traceable through receipts that DO exist. Red would be in legal trouble, not 'internet trouble' if this were real.

...
Please. Enlighten me as to what parts of the "information is either exaggerated or wrong".
$495 in conversion fees+$829 in the components for the conversions equals $1324.
So if anything the $1300 is an underestimation by $24.

Ken, I'm sorry you feel wronged, but I know Matt has done plenty to rectify it all. The delays you asked for by adding new commissions, the delays from personal things that were publicized, and the ever increasing amount of money to which you feel entitled.

Not to be too callous:
But if you're accepting someone's money while you've got a sick significant other, you can make the effort and stop at the UPS store on your way to the hospital or while your significant other is sleeping after a procedure.

Dakka, I have never visited your forum, but I know you cannot be less prone to seeking the truth than I am.

Not when you come here saying that a member in good standing is lying when there's a tiff going on with a well-known(around here at least) scammer running a competition giving away free stuff that was given to him.

Please show me that I'm right, and do not spread this as lynching, hate-fueled rhetoric and rumours

"Lynching, hate-fueled rhetoric"? Sweetheart, you haven't seen hate-fueled rhetoric.

What KP13 posted is, considering the situation, absurdly calm and collected. Now, what Redstarone posted in reply to the supposedly false allegations?
Yeah. That's just screaming "I'm innocent! I'm innocent!".
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Eternal Plague

I think the issues raised by Architechnic are trolling and credibility in what Alpharius has stated and done.

I think both need to discuss this via PMs or phone chat, and perhaps for Architechnic to state who he is for the record in defending another forum.

   
Made in us
Nigel Stillman





Seattle WA

Architechnic wrote: Hell, now I'm a member, so that means you defend me too right?


Not really, you have to pick and choose your fights ya'know?

And defending your defense of RSO is not a fight I am willing to commit to.

If it were about any other topic, then ya people would stand up for you.

But you are not the first new poster who has joined Dakka for the sole purpose of singing RSO's praises to any who would listen and their were None who listened.

Take my advice, and let RSO fight his own battles no need for you to bear the brunt of all the ill will he has earned himself.

Welcome to Dakka!


See more on Know Your Meme 
   
Made in us
Malicious Mutant Scum





Greensboro, NC USA

Sounds like legal action of some sort is what needs to happen. If the story is true, the alleged party enticed you and others to send things to him in the mail under fraudulent pretexts, which should qualify for mail fraud. Organize the various aggrieved parties, gather all the info you collectively have (massive email strings, paypal transaction records, address, etc. Bonus if some have kept postal receipts/confirmations) and start shopping around to postal inspectors, their local cops, and civil attorneys.

Good luck.

   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







At this point, what battle does RSO have to 'fight'?

To finally ship what he owes me?

Or, to finally admit that it is all gone, somehow, and that he has, essentially, stolen from me?

Honestly - I'm not sure what in my initial explanation of what has happened was unclear or really unfair - it is all true.

Did you miss the part when I have offered MULTIPLE times to pay AGAIN for shipping?

Or how long I've been waiting?

What leg does he have to stand on now?
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

That he's like Santa Claus--if Santa Claus also stole presents and beat his elves, maybe?
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Eternal Plague

I think this needs to be taken to PMs or phone conversations to try and hash out any questions or concerns.

   
Made in gb
Noble of the Alter Kindred




United Kingdom

not spread slander about another gamer. its bs, and childish


Firstly, if it is anything it won't be slander, which is only relevant to the spoken word.
So if there is any deformation of character it would be libel. Sorry to be pedantic but there you are.

If there is any truth to the allegations, Alpharius is not being libelous, as justification is a defense. I assume it is the same in the USA as in the UK.


I agree with you however, we should be careful what we say, and it is now probably a matter for the authorities.
If RSO are involved in practices that could be open to question, and if there is a risk of defrauding others then it is as well to give fair warning, which in this thread was done by Whitedragon. Unless he has posted here while I type Alpharius is conspicuous by his absence.

Of course we do not know for sure what the situation is, but Alpharious seems to have been plenty patient already.
I have read Alpharius's comments and while I cannot vouch for their veracity, it seems to me at least, that in the circumstances Alpharius has carried himself in a very dignified manner and been anything but childish.

 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

WarOne wrote:I think this needs to be taken to PMs or phone conversations to try and hash out any questions or concerns.

This is really long past "PMs or phone conversations".

That's when you're a week or two overdue in sending something maybe worth $80-$100.

When we're talking $1324 and years of you somehow being unable to send out a package because of your significant other, yet you have the time to run give-aways?

Yeah. Man the feth up, send the person their money and items back and hope to God they don't press charges for mail fraud.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







I would welcome ANY attempt to prove in ANY court that ANY of the things I said were not true.

Because my side of this is very easy to prove.

What I calmly laid out in that initial post was nothing but the truth of this matter.

Seriously - you have GOT to be kidding me at this point.

What is missing from all of Matt's replies?

Could it be something along the lines of "I've shipped it - here are the tracking numbers!"

Yeah, that would be it.

Why?

Because he has NEVER shipped anything back to me - EVER.

It is that simple.
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: