Switch Theme:

Age of Sigmar - Thunder and Blood (pg18)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader




Bottle, that sounds fantastic man! I can't wait.
   
Made in ie
Resentful Grot With a Plan






frozenwastes wrote:
Spoiler:
 RexHavoc wrote:
I said it is inferior to what is already available (hinterlands), and from what we were shown so far, its not worth the money, even if it is only a few quid. It has nothing to do with personal preference, or not liking something, or anything else that you tried to take from what I said- especially as I cant decide if I like it or not until its out.


It's 40 pages, so I'm guessing there's stuff in there that is not in Hinterlands. I'm a Hinterlands fan and trust that if the guy who wrote Hinterlands says the Skirmish book is worth it, it's worth a shot.


I didn't realise it was 40 pages. Though it could just mean several full pages of nothing (as books often do) that is rather larger than I figured it for. When they flick through on the stream I thought it was a pamphlet sized no bigger than ravaging hordes or the like. Hopefully there are some maps, and fluff, and other odds n ends they didn't mention on stream.

Manchu wrote:
Spoiler:
 RexHavoc wrote:
its not worth the money, even if it is only a few quid.
 RexHavoc wrote:
It has nothing to do with personal preference
Surely your opinion that the rulebook is not even worth a few quid is a matter of personal preference. Or would you also say that myself and others find it worth a few quid over and against the force of rationality and objective fact? Okay, I am just giving you a hard time there because I think that lapse in self-consciousness is also behind this conclusion:
 RexHavoc wrote:
If everyone blindly buys it, this kind of gives GW the impression that they can knock together any old tat, over a lunch break, stick a under £10 price tag on it, and people will still buy it as its cheap.
Who knows how GW receives the info customers broadcast by spending money? Not us! But it's just as reasonable that strong sales of the AoS Skirmish Rulebook and maybe corresponding strong sales of AoS miniatures to play it might send the message that, far from "any old tat" being acceptable, that customers are hungry for smaller scale games ... and then enter the deeper skirmish ruleset, especially in light of how stimulating SWA has proven to erstwhile/latent 40k customers.


I think what I kind of mean, but fail to word well, is that there are more comments in the thread that are on the lines of people picking it up ONLY because its so cheap, rather than people picking it because COOL ITS A AoS SKIRMISH GAME! So sure, its worth its subjective, but I'd rather pay a higher cost for a book that people are going mad for because its great, rather than just picking this up because its so cheap. But you are correct, they might see high sales of a cheap item as a good reason to do more skirmish stuff. I would have thought sales of things like silver tower & shadow war selling out would have done that, but then GW are not exactly famous for doing what seems reasonable! i

NinthMusketeer wrote:
Spoiler:
 RexHavoc wrote:
You are kind of putting words in to my mouth. I never said it was bad, and that I didn't like it. I said it is inferior to what is already available (hinterlands), and from what we were shown so far, its not worth the money, even if it is only a few quid. It has nothing to do with personal preference, or not liking something, or anything else that you tried to take from what I said- especially as I cant decide if I like it or not until its out.

People in this thread are saying that its a must buy as its so cheap, even if its its light on content. If everyone blindly buys it, this kind of gives GW the impression that they can knock together any old tat, over a lunch break, stick a under £10 price tag on it, and people will still buy it as its cheap.

They have been promoting this a fair bit for a one and done product, so it feels lacklustre at best.

Like I already said, I wont be able to tell how good it is until its actually out, but from what they have shown, it feels like an inferior product, hastily knock together to retain people from seeking out free rule sets.

I'm still looking forward to it, it has an Inq28 feel to it, which seems to encourage more modelling and having fun rather than being rules driven, which I love. I just dont want to chuck money at something that even if so cheap, isn't worth it. If this is a version 1.0, then they would have been better chucking this out in white dwarf, and releasing a hardback 6 months down the line if it took off.

After double-checking have to apologize here, because I mixed up another post with yours and thought you had said things to that affect when you did not. So I was putting words in your mouth in a way, apologies.


No bother. I might come across as being negative towards things that they put out on here, but if taking the time the grumble, its because I'm really passionate about it, and want to absolutely love the game! So I see how easy it would be to mistake my criticism for thinking the game is bad !


MLaw wrote:
Spoiler:
 Manchu wrote:
 RexHavoc wrote:
its not worth the money, even if it is only a few quid.
 RexHavoc wrote:
It has nothing to do with personal preference
Surely your opinion that the rulebook is not even worth a few quid is a matter of personal preference. Or would you also say that myself and others find it worth a few quid over and against the force of rationality and objective fact? Okay, I am just giving you a hard time there because I think that lapse in self-consciousness is also behind this conclusion:
 RexHavoc wrote:
If everyone blindly buys it, this kind of gives GW the impression that they can knock together any old tat, over a lunch break, stick a under £10 price tag on it, and people will still buy it as its cheap.
Who knows how GW receives the info customers broadcast by spending money? Not us! But it's just as reasonable that strong sales of the AoS Skirmish Rulebook and maybe corresponding strong sales of AoS miniatures to play it might send the message that, far from "any old tat" being acceptable, that customers are hungry for smaller scale games ... and then enter the deeper skirmish ruleset, especially in light of how stimulating SWA has proven to erstwhile/latent 40k customers.



It's also worth pointing out.. when SW:A released, I sent them a direct e-mail.. and they responded. Not only did they respond but they took action on what I was requesting (I know I wasn't the only one but the fact is that they received requests and acted on them). People are acting like GW will send lawyers after them for asking for something they want. Go to the website, at the bottom of the page you have a link to directly e-mail them. Tell them what is on your mind and let them know.


I emailed them last year, I brought one of the death start collecting sets, and emailed to point out a couple of issue with the box and the reply was a sub standard reply, I expected much more from them as you hear all the time how great they are at customer services, so I tend to not bother with them now. Maybe I'll give them another shout now.

Bottle wrote:
Spoiler:
Chopxsticks wrote:
 Bottle wrote:
 Albino Squirrel wrote:
Bottle: I watched the live stream and enjoyed it, but there was something I didn't catch. Between games, you get the additional reknown points. Does everything from the first game survive and you use the additional reknown to add new things? Or do you just spend the total you have on whatever you want (like you could take completely different stuff)?

Anyway, it sounds pretty good. It's 6 scenarios, and some rules for linking them together into a little narrative campaign. Plus point lists for and special abilities and artifacts specific to playing skirmish. Seems worth $10 to me for anyone interested in scenarios that work well for playing games of AoS with single model units. Assuming the scenarios are good.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
I don't think they'll do much with it, but I could see some additional scenarios in white dwarf.


There are no injuries or experience in the system (Hinterlands has them, and the next Hinterlands will add them for AoS Skirmish too), and yes you do generate extra renown in between the game. Firstly, depending on if you Major/Minor Won/Lost or Drawn you can get varying amounts of renown. You also both get to roll on a treasure chart which can yield extra renown or can yield other bonuses. Despite me losing the first game I rolled hot on the treasure table and ended up with 12 more renown (which I bought 2 more Outriders and another Handgunner with), Ben got 11 and bought a second Crypt Flayer.

It's worth saying as well, the 6 battleplans form into a linear pathway for 2 players if you want, but you can run a random campaign for multiple warbands out the book too. 3 of the scenarios are symmetrical and thus suited better to Matched Play. There is a section on Matched Play with guidelines to points and how to run tournaments with the system. Lots and lots for your money's worth imo. The book is 40 pages in total.



Hi Bottle, where would be the proper forum to keep up on all your additions? I am highly interested if your rules will stack on AoS or if AoS will stack on Hinterlands. What aspects will you be taking? I saw hinterlands has its own point cost for models, would you keep that or use GW's Renown?


Hey Chopxsticks! Thanks for taking an interest in Hinterlands The main hub for Hinterlands will stay at TGA.Community. The plan is for Hinterlands moving forward to stack on top of AoS Skirmish and I've spent most of today working on the next iteration. I really like AoS Skirmish and want Hinterlands to compliment it rather than compete with it - of course if you prefer my original Hinterlands rules those will always be available too (because TGA lets you download past versions of files). I've got loads and loads of cool content I would love to make but here's what I have sketched out for the next update:

1. A multiplayer campaign setting with a defined goal - it will have its own treasures, new Battleplans and a new setting/lore in the Realm of Ghyran. It should give gaming groups something to play after the Shadespire campaign and also illustrate how easy expanding the AoS Skirmish ruleset is.
2. Tweaks to the rules - injuries and experience will be coming back (although different to current Hinterlands), other rules will be ported over too like my Scatter Terrain rule to make the table a bit more manageable. I might bring my Rules of Three over to cut down Mortal Wound spam (although it's less of a problem now Heroes are full cost). Underdog Gambits will be included because I love them (I'll let the underdog forfeit one of their rerolls for a single roll on the table, methinks).
3. Potions, scrolls and magic items are coming. I've had them made for ages but haven't had a great chance to slot them in - with AoS Skirmish introducing a treasures table now is the perfect chance.This will add some real roleplaying flavour which I think players will love, (I get lots of requests for them).
4. Top secret rules for your general that I can't share just now (this is going to be the best bit!)

All subject to change of course, but this is the current plan. 50/50 new stuff and updating existing rules to be compatible with AoS Skirmish. I've kept it small so I can hopefully get it released sooner rather than later (the past versions have taken 3-4 months to complete each). It's just the surface of stuff I want to include but hopefully it's going to allow me to release stuff on a regular basis. Moving forward I want each subsequent release to introduce a new multiplayer campaign (each with a different winning condition, battleplans, background and set in a different realm) and then introduce further narrative tools and rules - in the end I want players to be able to explore every corner of the Mortal Realms with their warbands - go adventuring in Ghyran and recruit a stoic Kurnoth Hunter from a Sylvaneth Deepgrove before paying for passage on Kharadron Overlord frigate to take them high into the mountains of Chamon on some epic quest (or maybe just to loot and plunder), that sort of stuff!


Wow, sounds like quite a bundle of new things on the way! Looking forward to seeing the items. The narrative/campaign stuff sounds great, one of the best books GW put out was the blood in the badlands book, so will be looking forward to seeing what you do! I might even have a crack at writing my own campaign as often some of my favourite forces get forgotten about! I'm not too great at writing rules, as I dont play any where near enough any more to know what would be good or bad, but like to think I have an active enough imagination to come up with some decent battleplans!

   
Made in dk
Horrific Howling Banshee




Finland

The hinterlands additions sounds really good. The skirmish sounds more interesting for me than the full scale AoS. I bet there are folks interested at our club for a campaign like that.

Feel the sunbeams shine on me.
And the thunder under the dancing feet. 
   
Made in mx
Regular Dakkanaut



Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico

So, the Skirmish new stuff is up in NZ/Aus.

The Khorne Bloodbound kit is really interesting. I has 3 Easy to Build Warriors, 5 Wrathmonger/Skullreapers and an Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear. I love the Exalted Deathbringer kit, and so far he has never been put in a bundle.

I hope this skirmish kits aren't limited edition like the last Battleforces, because it'll be certainly fantastic to buy multiple kits (except Stormcasts IMO).
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut






Thebiggesthat wrote:
 streetsamurai wrote:


I don't want to talk for the whole community, but my impression is that nobody really cared about it, and only played it if they were short on time. Anyway. It's great for those that are happy with AOS skirmish, but I was expecting something a bit more meaty


You have the wrong impression I'm afraid Eeyore. WHW was getting sold out events for Kill Team, tournaments around the country and loads of coverage on social platforms like Youtube.


I'd say it has a lot more to do with how much easier it is to transport a KT force than a 40k army, when you're travelling far from home, than it''s a reflection of how much it is played in a regular context

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/20 02:04:46


lost and damned log
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/519978.page#6525039 
   
Made in au
Taciturn Dark Angles Company Master





Melbourne .au

CMLR wrote:
So, the Skirmish new stuff is up in NZ/Aus.

The Khorne Bloodbound kit is really interesting. I has 3 Easy to Build Warriors, 5 Wrathmonger/Skullreapers and an Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear. I love the Exalted Deathbringer kit, and so far he has never been put in a bundle.

I hope this skirmish kits aren't limited edition like the last Battleforces, because it'll be certainly fantastic to buy multiple kits (except Stormcasts IMO).


Two of those Khorne sets for me. 5 Wrathmonger/Skullreapers and that Exalted Deathbringer, which I don't have make it absolutely worthwhile. Tempted by more easy Mausoleum pieces and the Orc kit as well.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 streetsamurai wrote:

I'd say it has a lot more to do with how much easier it is to transport a KT force than a 40k army, when you're travelling far from home, than it''s a reflection of how much it is played in a regular context


Yeah, because Warhammer World never does well with it's larger-game tournaments for 40k/LotR or AoS, right....?


Anyway, it's awesome to see that Bottle and all of his work has been recognised by GW, and that he intends to build on this as a base. The only problem is really time to model, paint and play all of these games on top of all the non-GW stuff I've been working on...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/20 02:11:31


   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User





CMLR wrote:
So, the Skirmish new stuff is up in NZ/Aus.

The Khorne Bloodbound kit is really interesting. I has 3 Easy to Build Warriors, 5 Wrathmonger/Skullreapers and an Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear. I love the Exalted Deathbringer kit, and so far he has never been put in a bundle.

I hope this skirmish kits aren't limited edition like the last Battleforces, because it'll be certainly fantastic to buy multiple kits (except Stormcasts IMO).


That solidifies my purchase.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Azazelx wrote:
CMLR wrote:
So, the Skirmish new stuff is up in NZ/Aus.

The Khorne Bloodbound kit is really interesting. I has 3 Easy to Build Warriors, 5 Wrathmonger/Skullreapers and an Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear. I love the Exalted Deathbringer kit, and so far he has never been put in a bundle.

I hope this skirmish kits aren't limited edition like the last Battleforces, because it'll be certainly fantastic to buy multiple kits (except Stormcasts IMO).


Two of those Khorne sets for me. 5 Wrathmonger/Skullreapers and that Exalted Deathbringer, which I don't have make it absolutely worthwhile. Tempted by more easy Mausoleum pieces and the Orc kit as well.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 streetsamurai wrote:

I'd say it has a lot more to do with how much easier it is to transport a KT force than a 40k army, when you're travelling far from home, than it''s a reflection of how much it is played in a regular context


Yeah, because Warhammer World never does well with it's larger-game tournaments for 40k/LotR or AoS, right....?


Anyway, it's awesome to see that Bottle and all of his work has been recognised by GW, and that he intends to build on this as a base. The only problem is really time to model, paint and play all of these games on top of all the non-GW stuff I've been working on...


That makes no sense whatsoever. Just because some gamers don't mind carrying all their armies halfway through the world or country, it doesn't means that for some (or most) it is not a hindrance

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/20 02:23:23


lost and damned log
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/519978.page#6525039 
   
Made in au
Taciturn Dark Angles Company Master





Melbourne .au

You're suggesting that a large reason why KT tourneys are popular at WHW is because KTs are small and easy to carry. I'm countering that their larger-scale tournaments do just as well.

Now you're trying to shift the goalposts, change the context of what you claimed, and talk about carrying large armies things being "a hindrance", which has nothing at all to do with your original point, which was to try and make an excuse to try and downplay KT's success.

 streetsamurai wrote:

I'd say it has a lot more to do with how much easier it is to transport a KT force than a 40k army, when you're travelling far from home, than it''s a reflection of how much it is played in a regular context


In fact, you know jack gak about how much KT is played, and just because it's not popular in the tiny bit of Canada where you play (as far as you know, anyway), you're simply taking the opportunity to try to extrapolate your incredibly limited experience and geography to the entire community and world. I'll wager that you know pretty much bugger all about the UK gaming scene.

Simply because you dislike it for whatever reason and want to piss on it. And not very well, I might add. - Your argument is as pissweak as me trying to say that because my gaming group got into <insert game name here> in a big way that it's the most popular thing out there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/20 02:41:42


   
Made in au
The Marine Standing Behind Marneus Calgar






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

The Orruk Brute box is fantastic. And it has the Shaman rather than the weird guy waving the sticks around. It even has 5 Black Orcs. Never a bad thing.

   
Made in au
Taciturn Dark Angles Company Master





Melbourne .au

Agreed. I just have a lot of those models, so it's a balance thing on whether i want them again or not. Probably one set, if I can find them for a reasonable price.

   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut






Lol at moving goal post. Large armies being hard to carry has everything to do with my first argument. I didn't thought this needed more explanations, but I guess I was wrong.

As I said before, I don't mean to talk for the whole community, but it seems rather obvious that KT would be more played in these kind of events than it is in regular life, for a lot of these attendees come from far away and don't necessarly want to bring a whole 40k armies with them (which is not only very expensive to do, but also cumbersome),

Hell, even if I don't think KT is much of a game, if I ever decide to go to WHW, it is without a doubt the game I would play. Bringing a 40k army halfway across the city is already a hell of an adventure, and I sure would not bring one with me in a trip abroad.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/05/20 02:47:44


lost and damned log
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/519978.page#6525039 
   
Made in ca
Mighty Kroxigor Ancient





California the Southern

If my team can't fit inside a thicker Mantic case, they aren't getting brought with me then!

I'm in for a Khorne one. More WrathSkulls of Fear Mongering and that hard to find Exalted spearman make this a must purchase.

Seriously, the Wrathmongers are probably the best Khrone kit in terms of conversion potential.

I'm still bummed they didn't do a Fyreslayer one- those dwarfs are too dang much, and it would've been a great way to get people to pick some up!

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!


http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html 
   
Made in au
Taciturn Dark Angles Company Master





Melbourne .au

 streetsamurai wrote:

As I said before, I don't mean to talk for the whole community, but it seems rather obvious that KT would be more played in these kind of events than it is in regular life, for a lot of these attendees come from far away and don't necessarly want to bring a whole 40k armies with them (which is not only very expensive to do, but also cumbersome),


The problem with this argument is twofold. Well, there are a lot more, but I'll summarise two of them here before I divest myself of this particular back and forth with yourself:

Firstly, WHW seems to have no problem attracting players from quite far away for their tournaments of all sizes, and frankly - if you're going to travel a good distance for a tournament, then an extra bags or two of your models isn't going to make a difference. I assume you've heard of Adepticon? You seem to be implying that people will travel from quite far away for a tournament, but only be willing to carry a small KT-sized force when all evidence points to the contrary.

Secondly, your argument about that being the only reason that KT gets good (sell-out) numbers is because it's small and convenient but no-one actually plays it in a normal context, also goes against all of the evidence that says people like Skirmish games on their own merits. Small-40k is why SW:A did so well, to the extent that it evidently took GW by surprise with another bs "sold out before release" scenario. Hinterlands is incredibly popular. SAGA, Frostgrave are two of the huge success stores of the last several years. Mordheim, Necromunda and even GorkaMorka have retained players despite many, many years with no support. INQ28 which is a fan-made derivative and never actually sold by GW has been a real success (as Hinterlands has become).

Game-in-an-hour as opposed to Game-all-day has - and has always had - a real appeal to many people that cannot be denied (except by people like yourself, apparently), and people like Warhammer 40,000 and the models for it but don't always (or often in many cases) want to commit to an entire day/evening/etc of slogging through what 40k has become.


Which isn't to claim that KT has/had no problems. The whole "buy a codex for your 12 guys" thing is/was silly (to put it kindly), and using the regular 40k rules both meant it was a good gateway game while being bogged down with some of the 40k bloat and rules-mess. While I like the concept of SW:A and will try to make time to play it, since I used to love Necromunda, I'd still really like to see an updated Kill-Team based on the new 8th rules. Not that it should be too hard to houserule something, but we'll have to wait and see...


   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut






Is the museleum giving you all these parts????
The 360 only shows half of this





If it is the case, will definitively buy one to yse in SWA

Edit: just realised that they are actually selling this at a higher price than 2 gardens of moor. Wow, just wow, lol

Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Azazelx wrote:
 streetsamurai wrote:

As I said before, I don't mean to talk for the whole community, but it seems rather obvious that KT would be more played in these kind of events than it is in regular life, for a lot of these attendees come from far away and don't necessarly want to bring a whole 40k armies with them (which is not only very expensive to do, but also cumbersome),


The problem with this argument is twofold. Well, there are a lot more, but I'll summarise two of them here before I divest myself of this particular back and forth with yourself:

Firstly, WHW seems to have no problem attracting players from quite far away for their tournaments of all sizes, and frankly - if you're going to travel a good distance for a tournament, then an extra bags or two of your models isn't going to make a difference. I assume you've heard of Adepticon? You seem to be implying that people will travel from quite far away for a tournament, but only be willing to carry a small KT-sized force when all evidence points to the contrary.

Secondly, your argument about that being the only reason that KT gets good (sell-out) numbers is because it's small and convenient but no-one actually plays it in a normal context, also goes against all of the evidence that says people like Skirmish games on their own merits. Small-40k is why SW:A did so well, to the extent that it evidently took GW by surprise with another bs "sold out before release" scenario. Hinterlands is incredibly popular. SAGA, Frostgrave are two of the huge success stores of the last several years. Mordheim, Necromunda and even GorkaMorka have retained players despite many, many years with no support. INQ28 which is a fan-made derivative and never actually sold by GW has been a real success (as Hinterlands has become).

Game-in-an-hour as opposed to Game-all-day has - and has always had - a real appeal to many people that cannot be denied (except by people like yourself, apparently), and people like Warhammer 40,000 and the models for it but don't always (or often in many cases) want to commit to an entire day/evening/etc of slogging through what 40k has become.


Which isn't to claim that KT has/had no problems. The whole "buy a codex for your 12 guys" thing is/was silly (to put it kindly), and using the regular 40k rules both meant it was a good gateway game while being bogged down with some of the 40k bloat and rules-mess. While I like the concept of SW:A and will try to make time to play it, since I used to love Necromunda, I'd still really like to see an updated Kill-Team based on the new 8th rules. Not that it should be too hard to houserule something, but we'll have to wait and see...



The thing you don't seem to realise (weirdly enough) is that just because some gamers don't mind bringing their armies accross the world, for a lot of them it is a deal breaker. And an extra bag or two is a big deal, especially if you travel by plane (considering that the probablility of having your army damaged in the trip is rather high, while a KT can fit in your hand luggage). If you think that the ease of transport has nothing to do with the choice of a game when you're travelling far away, I don't know what to tell you.

Secondly, I wonder what your second point has to do with my argument, since I absolutely love skirmish games, but I happen to think that KT is a rather poor one. Anyway, you can see the popularity (or the lack of) of KT only by looking at the number of threads on this forum that are about it.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/05/20 03:23:42


lost and damned log
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/519978.page#6525039 
   
Made in au
Taciturn Dark Angles Company Master





Melbourne .au

 highlord tamburlaine wrote:
If my team can't fit inside a thicker Mantic case, they aren't getting brought with me then!

I'm in for a Khorne one. More WrathSkulls of Fear Mongering and that hard to find Exalted spearman make this a must purchase.

Seriously, the Wrathmongers are probably the best Khrone kit in terms of conversion potential.

I'm still bummed they didn't do a Fyreslayer one- those dwarfs are too dang much, and it would've been a great way to get people to pick some up!


Yeah. I bought one box of the ...the Vulkites (had to look the name up) as I intend to do some work on them, and a couple of their Magmadroths, but aside from hero models that have come in boxed games, no more planned until they release a decent bundle. My uninformed guess is that a big problem on that is that the range is too small to make a proper "Start Collecting" since the only "big" model is the Magmadroth, which I'll wager is more than they're willing to bundle into a SC with a hero and a set of Vulkites. Which leaves them with a lackluster potential set of a hero, 10 Vulkites and 5 Hearthguard? Might be ok with 10 Hearthguard, I guess, but they still lack that "mid-range monster"/"cavalry unit" type model that the other sets have.

   
Made in us
Dangerous Outrider






Just cant get excited about this... Shadow Wars blew me away.. but this sounds like AoS with alternate points and
made for smaller battles.. but still uses AoS core rules..

 
   
Made in ca
Posts with Authority




I'm from the future. The future of space

streetsamurai wrote:Edit: just realised that they are actually selling this at a higher price than 2 gardens of moor. Wow, just wow, lol


Did you get stuck on new zealand prices? Earlier in the thread the North America details were released and it's 2 Gardens of Moor for $100 CAD while the single Garden of Moor was $60.


A points system is a tool to create balance. Let's use it to intentionally seek out imbalance in order to win and then blame the game designer for it not working!  
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut






 frozenwastes wrote:
streetsamurai wrote:Edit: just realised that they are actually selling this at a higher price than 2 gardens of moor. Wow, just wow, lol


Did you get stuck on new zealand prices? Earlier in the thread the North America details were released and it's 2 Gardens of Moor for $100 CAD while the single Garden of Moor was $60.



Lol, so it's only new zealand that get screwed with this(a single garden is 81, while the bundle is 165). Damn, I wonder what the kiwis ever did to be so hated by GW.

At 100 CAD it is a hell of a deal, Might even buy two

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/20 06:47:26


lost and damned log
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/519978.page#6525039 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





 streetsamurai wrote:
 frozenwastes wrote:
streetsamurai wrote:Edit: just realised that they are actually selling this at a higher price than 2 gardens of moor. Wow, just wow, lol


Did you get stuck on new zealand prices? Earlier in the thread the North America details were released and it's 2 Gardens of Moor for $100 CAD while the single Garden of Moor was $60.



Lol, so it's only new zealand that get screwed with this(a single garden is 81, while the bundle is 165). Damn, I wonder what the kiwis ever did to be so hated by GW.

At 100 CAD it is a hell of a deal, Might even buy two

New Zealand, Australia and Japan always get hurt worst by GW prices, though we do get a whopping 100yen (about 50cents) discount on the bundle.
While the garden is a cool kit, I am disappointed we are not getting any multi tier Mordheimesque terrain with this.
   
Made in au
The Marine Standing Behind Marneus Calgar






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

It's a one-week release with zero new miniatures. Did you really expect anything more?

   
Made in us
[MOD]
Custodian






Holy Terra

While I'd like some of that multi-level goodness, too, this is not really the vehicle for it. AoS Skirmish is exactly what it says on the tin (all the more puzzling that people were expecting something other than that) and that's ultimately a gateway into AoS proper. SW:A is great but not such a direct stepping stone to 40k precisely because the scale of the game, especially the terrain it was designed around, really limits the scope of what models the players can field.

   
Made in au
Sniveling Snotling




The land down under

So is this Shadespire, or is that another way to play thats coming later. Ie there'll be Aos (with its 3 ways to play), then this Skirmish, then Shadespire?

Edit: It looks from the blurb on the book pre-order that this is Shadespire, and its in essence (from a story point of view) Mordheim reskinned. ie a city, left vacant and wrecked with warbands crawling over it for hidden treasures.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/20 07:54:52


Those damn monkeys keep stealing my saving throws

Azrael13: Conversions should be a choice, not a necessity to make a "premium" product acceptable. 
   
Made in au
Taciturn Dark Angles Company Master





Melbourne .au

Shadespire is a self-contained game using different mechanics, such as cards - coming later this year.

   
Made in ca
Posts with Authority




I'm from the future. The future of space

From a fictional perspective, I think Shadespire takes place in the city itself where it was taken to by Nagash and the AoS: Skirmish game has the default setting as the ruins of Shadespire where the city used to be.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/20 08:02:40


A points system is a tool to create balance. Let's use it to intentionally seek out imbalance in order to win and then blame the game designer for it not working!  
   
Made in au
Sniveling Snotling




The land down under

Azazelx wrote:Shadespire is a self-contained game using different mechanics, such as cards - coming later this year.


frozenwastes wrote:From a fictional perspective, I think Shadespire takes place in the city itself where it was taken to by Nagash and the AoS: Skirmish game has the default setting as the ruins of Shadespire where the city used to be.


Thanks guys for the clarification.

Those damn monkeys keep stealing my saving throws

Azrael13: Conversions should be a choice, not a necessity to make a "premium" product acceptable. 
   
Made in gb
Cunning Chieftain






Looking rather spangly.

The Warbands in particular seem well priced, and aren't just mini-versions of the Start Collecting, as they contain different units which compliment the Start Collecting.

£90 for the meat and bones of an army? Aye, go on then!

Fed up for Scalpers? Why not join us? 
   
Made in ie
Dominating Dominatrix






Dublin, Ireland

Only 8 quid for the ruleset? Thats actually not bad.
And that masoleum I really like!

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
Made in ie
Resentful Grot With a Plan






Someone on the facebook group said that the garden of morr was 2xwhole sets and some extra fences (MORR fences lol) Not sure if that is the case, as I cant see any MORR in the photos (ok no morr jokes now!) but they may have just used the old photos and Photoshopped two together.

I grabbed it, it was a bit more than I intended to spend, but I have the old manor but never really did anything with it, as the new terrain doesn't match up with it, plus I have a huge death army I must get round to do at some point, and so have some spare graves from all those spirits.

The shadespire box game is still a separate thing, this is just SET in shadespire. GW confirmed on their page, after I asked the same thing.

I took a gamble and grabbed the book, even after my grumblings and concerns. Worst case scenario is that its not as good as I'd like it to be, but while its hot, if I find that its of no use to me, I'd happily swap it for some bits, or something. How ever, reading what Bottle has had to say about it, it should at the very least, have some stuff to add into hinterlands, should it be a bit light on content.

I'm a little disappointed that nothing has gone out of stock, after the fiasco of shadow war. Some people will see it as they have increased stock levels, but I see it as perhaps AoS is still not as popular as most of would like to think it is, or that it should be.

I grabbed some extra bits in my order. A box of handgunners, as I've still never painted humans, or at least flesh, and I think its about time! A box of the new goblin blood bowl team- I have no interest in playing BB anymore, but they are going to make a killer skirmish warband, and they are closer in style to the old Brian Nelson sculpts I have so many off.

I really hope that this becomes a community driven thing. There is some great stuff out their for skirmish set in AoS already, but its like its been under heavy guard. Hoping that 'official' rules lets it break free of that, and becomes as awesome as Inq28 has done over the years.

   
Made in au
Sniveling Snotling




The land down under

I think a lot of peoples attention is on 40K at the moment with this huge investment they have put into ramping up 8th.

If not for this sub I wouldn't have even been aware of this being up for pre order today.

I think Dakka as a forum is also geared more at 40K from the readership perspective. Look at the 8th edition sub and it goes up 10-20 pages a day with discussion of each days rumour/info dump from GW.

This sub has only hit 14 pages. None of the AOS subs see huge and sustained page growth suggesting to me that for Dakka at least, its not a game that most will comment on. I know there a other forums with a stronger AOS focus out there.

Those damn monkeys keep stealing my saving throws

Azrael13: Conversions should be a choice, not a necessity to make a "premium" product acceptable. 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: