Switch Theme:

Eradicators, Aggressors, Bladeguard Vets, Outriders etc vs Custodes  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





 Eipi10 wrote:
To be honest, I am not very confident in the company's future.


If printing can kill GW then the hobby itself is dead (because it will certainly kill smaller companies). You might get small parts of the community that manage to not squabble to make their own rules based on inconsistent models, but you'd never regain the global appeal of Warhammer.

All that said people still pay $15 for a hamburger from top tier fast food joints.




   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




All that said people still pay $15 for a hamburger from top tier fast food joints.

So the world is already dead.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Karol wrote:
All that said people still pay $15 for a hamburger from top tier fast food joints.

So the world is already dead.


In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 Daedalus81 wrote:
Karol wrote:
All that said people still pay $15 for a hamburger from top tier fast food joints.

So the world is already dead.


In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.



i^'ll , well, just going to steal this for my 9th ed sig like the filthy renegade i am

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




 Gadzilla666 wrote:
Cute. But if you're going to combine chaos into one grouping shouldn't you do the same for Imperials? So 119. If you expect me to consider a Nurgle daemon to be a release that pertains to my Night Lords then it seems only fair to do the same by considering a new Tech Priest as a release that pertains to Space Wolves.

And I don't know how you think those pitiful numbers for Xenos factions helps your argument.


Sounds like your real argument is that GW did not release enough models for your chosen subfaction's playstyle. Which is different from what you were writing before. And yes, please go ahead and put all Imperials into one list. I'm totally fine with that. 119 to 77 is still a good ratio even not considering that one side includes the most pushed and most sold faction in the game.
If 77 - for the most part interusable and/or easily soupable - models for one combined faction still means "no focus on anything apart from Marines", then we simply have a different point of view.

If Eldar (or any Xenos race) had 77 releases distributed between Harlequins, Dark Eldar, Craftworlds and Corsairs they would have had the time of their lives.

My argument was not that all factions get equal attention. Mine was that GW does not focus attention on Marines only. The models on the site I cited don't have a release date with them, else I would have added that non-Marines get their releases usually not as often, but then in a bulk while Marines get single releases all the time. But I don't have numbers for that an thus it is only my personal feeling.


Not Online!!! wrote:

Chaos is now one faction supposedly and has 77 Releases whilest sm alone have 75 and Chaos should stop?
Not to mention Tau,orks etc?!?


Just to be clear, my bracketed sentence about Chaos was meant as a joke, hence the emoticons.
If you want to hear my opinion about it: Everybody should get more releases. I'm not arguing for Chaos or Marines to get less. I was only showing numbers to counter the implied statement that only Marines get attention.
Chaos isn't one faction, but in the context of 8th edition rules in which these models were released, you can easily soup them together or use them in your army as "count as". Thousand Sons HQ for your psyker, Poxwalker for your Cultists and so on. You can even soup them now, admittedly at a higher cost than before.
I don't want to go down that discussion path, as one could argue old marines did not get anything for the whole edition outside of one made to order scriptor, a GW store opening captain and some random tac marines in single random chance booster packs.

Would still be more than Tau, though

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/08/10 09:47:48


 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






Stop taking orks an example!

The number of releases we are getting is just perfect, and we don't have any real holes in our codex that need to be stuffed, unlike many of the newer factions do.

If they keep releasing stuff at the same pace they did in 8th and update some of our ancient models while doing so, I'll be a happy warboss for years to come.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





 Jidmah wrote:
Stop taking orks an example!

The number of releases we are getting is just perfect, and we don't have any real holes in our codex that need to be stuffed, unlike many of the newer factions do.

If they keep releasing stuff at the same pace they did in 8th and update some of our ancient models while doing so, I'll be a happy warboss for years to come.


Yeah a new combined boyz+kommandos kit to spice up the many copies of the old boyz kit I own and id be basically set for orks for the year.

I have many more armies I feel are in more dire need for new stuff.

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





a_typical_hero wrote:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
Cute. But if you're going to combine chaos into one grouping shouldn't you do the same for Imperials? So 119. If you expect me to consider a Nurgle daemon to be a release that pertains to my Night Lords then it seems only fair to do the same by considering a new Tech Priest as a release that pertains to Space Wolves.

And I don't know how you think those pitiful numbers for Xenos factions helps your argument.


Sounds like your real argument is that GW did not release enough models for your chosen subfaction's playstyle. Which is different from what you were writing before. And yes, please go ahead and put all Imperials into one list. I'm totally fine with that. 119 to 77 is still a good ratio even not considering that one side includes the most pushed and most sold faction in the game.
If 77 - for the most part interusable and/or easily soupable - models for one combined faction still means "no focus on anything apart from Marines", then we simply have a different point of view.

If Eldar (or any Xenos race) had 77 releases distributed between Harlequins, Dark Eldar, Craftworlds and Corsairs they would have had the time of their lives.

My argument was not that all factions get equal attention. Mine was that GW does not focus attention on Marines only. The models on the site I cited don't have a release date with them, else I would have added that non-Marines get their releases usually not as often, but then in a bulk while Marines get single releases all the time. But I don't have numbers for that an thus it is only my personal feeling.


Not Online!!! wrote:

Chaos is now one faction supposedly and has 77 Releases whilest sm alone have 75 and Chaos should stop?
Not to mention Tau,orks etc?!?


Just to be clear, my bracketed sentence about Chaos was meant as a joke, hence the emoticons.
If you want to hear my opinion about it: Everybody should get more releases. I'm not arguing for Chaos or Marines to get less. I was only showing numbers to counter the implied statement that only Marines get attention.
Chaos isn't one faction, but in the context of 8th edition rules in which these models were released, you can easily soup them together or use them in your army as "count as". Thousand Sons HQ for your psyker, Poxwalker for your Cultists and so on. You can even soup them now, admittedly at a higher cost than before.
I don't want to go down that discussion path, as one could argue old marines did not get anything for the whole edition outside of one made to order scriptor, a GW store opening captain and some random tac marines in single random chance booster packs.

Would still be more than Tau, though


Also if one looks at the chaos releases on the whole across 8th edition it's a pretty damn solid release pattern.

8th edition saw the compleition of basicly a total refresh of the chaos deamons line (something that had begun in 7th edition with Khrone) a refresh of the core CSM units, the launch of two new armies (technicly 3 but the models side of things for 1k sons was 100% done by late 7E) over all 8th edition was the release of a entire new range fo space marines, and a "near complete chaos reboot"

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Daedalus81 wrote:
3D printing would have to be in vogue for more than just wargaming to be cheap like ink printers are now. But given the required technical ability it will remain a niche industry. Sure, wargamers will tend to own them more frequently than the general population, but the effort it'd take to print a squad will still be much more than the instant gratification of driving to the store and having something ready to go.

If 3D printers became so good and easy to use I could see GW selling them and licensing out model files, but that's a really good long time from now.


There is absolutely no way that doesn't happen with 3D printing technology, compare what you could buy for home use a decade ago to what you can buy now and the track it's on is obvious. There's just way too much potential there.

[Edit] Sorry, got entirely off-topic there. I own both Marines and Custodes, and honestly the base plastic Custodes line didn't really work even before Marines started getting a significant roster of Gravis units that could more directly compete with them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/08/10 12:29:05


   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine




The dark hollows of Kentucky

a_typical_hero wrote:
Spoiler:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
Cute. But if you're going to combine chaos into one grouping shouldn't you do the same for Imperials? So 119. If you expect me to consider a Nurgle daemon to be a release that pertains to my Night Lords then it seems only fair to do the same by considering a new Tech Priest as a release that pertains to Space Wolves.

And I don't know how you think those pitiful numbers for Xenos factions helps your argument.


Sounds like your real argument is that GW did not release enough models for your chosen subfaction's playstyle. Which is different from what you were writing before. And yes, please go ahead and put all Imperials into one list. I'm totally fine with that. 119 to 77 is still a good ratio even not considering that one side includes the most pushed and most sold faction in the game.
If 77 - for the most part interusable and/or easily soupable - models for one combined faction still means "no focus on anything apart from Marines", then we simply have a different point of view.

If Eldar (or any Xenos race) had 77 releases distributed between Harlequins, Dark Eldar, Craftworlds and Corsairs they would have had the time of their lives.

My argument was not that all factions get equal attention. Mine was that GW does not focus attention on Marines only. The models on the site I cited don't have a release date with them, else I would have added that non-Marines get their releases usually not as often, but then in a bulk while Marines get single releases all the time. But I don't have numbers for that an thus it is only my personal feeling.


Not Online!!! wrote:

Chaos is now one faction supposedly and has 77 Releases whilest sm alone have 75 and Chaos should stop?
Not to mention Tau,orks etc?!?


Just to be clear, my bracketed sentence about Chaos was meant as a joke, hence the emoticons.
If you want to hear my opinion about it: Everybody should get more releases. I'm not arguing for Chaos or Marines to get less. I was only showing numbers to counter the implied statement that only Marines get attention.
Chaos isn't one faction, but in the context of 8th edition rules in which these models were released, you can easily soup them together or use them in your army as "count as". Thousand Sons HQ for your psyker, Poxwalker for your Cultists and so on. You can even soup them now, admittedly at a higher cost than before.
I don't want to go down that discussion path, as one could argue old marines did not get anything for the whole edition outside of one made to order scriptor, a GW store opening captain and some random tac marines in single random chance booster packs.

Would still be more than Tau, though

Nope, I was just pointing out the disingenuous way you're method of counting skewed the numbers. As I've said before in other threads: I don't want new models, I want new rules for the models I already have. Unfortunately gw seems either unwilling or unable to change older units stat lines and abilities except in a few fringe cases. That's one of the things that leads to the problem being discussed here, as loyalists have been getting a massive amount of new units, all with stat lines and abilities to work in the new rules and metas created by those rules, while older units are left to languish with stats that are less relevant in a game dominated by the PEQ stat line. Even when gw releases a new model for an older unit it almost always continues to use the same data sheet.

Loyalists can have all the ugly new models they want, I just want rules to make my old ones work against them. Enjoy your Repulives, Astreus, and Intercessors. I just want good rules for my Land Raiders, Fellblade, and Chosen.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Totto wrote:
a_typical_hero wrote:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
Thanks for the honest answer. Here's hoping that gw shares that opinion and starts paying attention to someone else. Hopefully the update for Necrons is a sign of things to come.

I would say GW is paying attention to other factions.

Model/Unit releases that I cared to look up for 8th edition which are NOT Space Marines:
Orks: 12
Custodes: 5
Mechanicus: 12
Eldar: 4
GSC: 17
Tau: 1
Sororitas: 27
Chaos combined: 77 - (Maybe GW should tone down the Chaos related releases to make room for less supported factions )

Space Marines combined: 75

Source: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Category:Miniatures

Some are the same unit with different weapons, some are single troop leaders, some are from these "Heroes booster packs" or whatever.

Necrons overhaul is right around the corner with a bucketload of new miniatures.
New "lieutenant" style heroes for several factions have been teased officially.

I think people are more biased than they should be - given the numbers - against Marines because they seem to get something every other month




I just had to check this, whilst also going back a bit in time:

Miniatures released so far during 6th, 7th, 8th Ed (so since June 2012)

Space Marines: 170 +16 so far in 9th
Chaos Space Marines: 67
Chaos Demons: 42
Genestealer Cult:34
Orks:30
Necron:7 + 15 so far in 9th
Adeptus Mechanicus:21
Eldar:20
Tau:20
Tyranids:18
Astra Militarum:18
Chaos Knights/Imperial Knights:10
Adeptus Custodes:8
Harlequins:8
Drukhari:7
Grey Knights:1
Adepta Sororitas:?

I rest my case I mean Grey Knights getting one new model in 8 years and Space Marines getting 186...

Also I found this funny cause it's true (it's from https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/i4ttx9/ive_watched_a_dozen_battle_reports_of_necrons_vs/) Check it out



The joke here is that the repuslor is much worse than a doomsday arc
   
Made in us
Unbalanced Fanatic






 Daedalus81 wrote:
 Eipi10 wrote:
To be honest, I am not very confident in the company's future.


If printing can kill GW then the hobby itself is dead (because it will certainly kill smaller companies). You might get small parts of the community that manage to not squabble to make their own rules based on inconsistent models, but you'd never regain the global appeal of Warhammer.

All that said people still pay $15 for a hamburger from top tier fast food joints.
A hamburger is not a near-zero marginal cost good, an STL file is. It takes some very fancy business strategies to make zero marginal cost goods appeal to consumers at a profit-maximizing price. Not that it can't be done, but I am not confident in GW's ability to do it. Especially, when almost all successful ZMC goods very dependant on the first-mover advantage, while miniatures are much less so.

More importantly, GW =/= the hobby. A lot of old GW specialist games are shockingly well supported by the community considering their age and lack of initial support to begin with. And even then, GW isn't the reason most people enter the hobby. I don't know of anyone who plays warhammer because they stumbled into a GW one day, but I do know people who stopped/reduced their playing after a price rise, especially heresy players after FW went to "international pricing". That, and not the death of Alan Blight and the poor rules released after his death, killed the heresy in my area. Back on topic, I am not saying GW will go away, but I am staying GW might be reduced to BL and their specialist games section in the future since those are much more FMA dependent product lines.

The Newman wrote:
There is absolutely no way that doesn't happen with 3D printing technology, compare what you could buy for home use a decade ago to what you can buy now and the track it's on is obvious. There's just way too much potential there.

[Edit] Sorry, got entirely off-topic there. I own both Marines and Custodes, and honestly the base plastic Custodes line didn't really work even before Marines started getting a significant roster of Gravis units that could more directly compete with them.
I have a non-FW custodes-only army at 1000 points, and not bike spam to boot. It would say they worked about as well as necrons did in 8th; a really swingy, surprisingly durable, uncomfortably slow, bad at board control, and over-costed by about 10%. Larger, full-size games tend to amplify their problems and diminish their positives. 9th core rules fixed a lot of the custodes fundamental issues, and their very light point changes have helped them even more. They would have been a mid-tier army at worst, but marines can do everything they can do, just for so much less.
   
Made in us
Gore-Soaked Lunatic Witchhunter







 Daedalus81 wrote:
...If printing can kill GW then the hobby itself is dead (because it will certainly kill smaller companies)...


I don't know if the 3d printing apocalypse is really going to overrun GW. They've been pushing their minis design towards the fiddly and hard to 3d print for a while now; a desktop FDM printer can do a great Rhino, sure, but the kind of tiny fiddly bits involved in stuff like Szeras isn't really doable. STL printing might threaten them at some point but I don't know if STL printers are ever going to be the kind of cheap desktop toys FDM printers are given the problem of fumes, and commercial STL printing is still more expensive than just buying stuff from GW.

Balanced Game: Noun. A game in which all options and choices are worth using. 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: