Switch Theme:

1750 Rematch - "Tremorcron" Necrons vs War Walker Eldar (Completed)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Are my necrons finally going down?
Yes, because his army matches up well against mine.
Draw, due to more experience and better lists from both players.
No, necron resiliency outlasts eldar firepower and I immobilize all his skimmers.

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

Had a rematch with Grant's War Walker Eldar. The first time we played was only my 2nd game with my new tremorcrons (battle report here). It was also Grant's first time playing against the new necrons. Well, this time, he's got experience against my tremorcrons. He's also bringing arguably a tougher list this time - his BAO tournament army. I've also gotten a little wiser this time as well. My first 2 games, I seriously nerfed myself and played my tremorcrons wrong...to my detriment.

For this game, we will be playing Bay Area Open scenarios. We actually played this game before the BAO as practice for my opponent's army. For those not familiar with the BAO, it is a 1750 tournament in Northern California that uses all 3 missions at once - Seize Ground, Capture and Control and Kill Points. You have to win more of the mission objectives than your opponent to win the game. BTW, Grant ended up 37th out of 92 players at the tournament. Not too bad for eldar. For his list, he swapped out his jetseer council and fire dragons from our last game for a wraithguard unit and a full 9 scatter-walkers. I've also evolved my tremorcrons closer to my ideal army build, dropping my tomb blades and some change for another unit of wraiths.


-------------------------------------------------------------------


1750 Tremorcron Necrons vs War Walker Eldar - BAO Match


1750 Necrons (My list)

Necron Overlord - Mindshackle Scarabs, Phase Shifter, Sempiternal Weave, Warscythe
Catacomb Command Barge

4x Cryptek - 2x Eldritch Lances w/1x Solar Pulse (Lance-teks), 2x Tremorstaves (Tremor-teks)

C'tan - Lord of Fire, Writhing Worldscape

5x Warriors
5x Warriors
5x Warriors
5x Warriors

10x Canoptek Scarabs
6x Canoptek Wraiths - 4x Whip Coils, 1x Particle Caster
6x Canoptek Wraiths - 4x Whip Coils, 1x Particle Caster

3x Canoptek Spiders - Claw, Gloom Prism



1750 Eldar

Eldrad

5x Dire Avengers - Wave Serpent w/Bright Lance, Spirit Stones (Eldrad here, the painted serpent)
5x Dire Avengers - Wave Serpent w/Eldar Missile Launcher, Spirit Stones
5x Dire Avengers - Wave Serpent w/Eldar Missile Launcher, Spirit Stones
10x Wraithguards - Spiritseer w/Conceal (not sure what other powers if any)

3x War Walkers - 2x Scatter Lasers
3x War Walkers - 2x Scatter Lasers
3x War Walkers - 2x Scatter Lasers


-------------------------------------------------------------------



Mission: Bay Area Open missions. Need to accomplish more mission objectives than your opponent from the following 3:

Annihilation

Seize Ground - 3 Objectives

Capture and Control

Deployment: Pitched Battle

Initiative: Eldar


-------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2012/03/17 19:41:23



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in eu
Been Around the Block





Think you have made an error in your army list, shouldn't there be 4 crypteks instead of 5? or am i missing something?
   
Made in gb
Agile Revenant Titan





Scotland

I think that the Eldar player has made a mistake by putting Eldrad with the Dire Avengers, I would have had him in the big squad of Wraithguard to throw Fortune on them and Guide on 2 squads of Walkers.

This should be interesting though, I think the Necrons may have it but as always, waiting on baited breath!

Iranna.

 
   
Made in gb
Wrathful Warlord Titan Commander






London

I'm banking on the Mechdar here. High mobility combined with mass S6 shooting from the War Walkers to wear down the Wraiths and Scarabs, the Fast transports would easily be able to withstand the Lanceteks and Tremorteks.


   
Made in us
Agile Revenant Titan





Fayetteville NC

He can still Fortune the Wraithguard. Could be interesting with all the S6 shooting and the Eldar with first turn.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/03/16 16:13:41


Whoah....I have played 40K for over 30 years.  
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

PRE-GAME ANALYSIS:

Eldar:
My opponent has got a very dangerous army, at least to my necrons. His army is good at taking out infantry but weaker at dealing with mech IMO. My army is all infantry except for 1 tank. 9 war walkers means 72 S6 shots, of which 48 of them will be twin-linked. Death by volume. Though it doesn't quite have the mobility of the seer council that his previous list had (+ 1 more serpent with fire dragons), it does have 1 more scoring, very tough unit with his wraithguards. But more importantly, now my opponent has experience against my tremorcrons. Not only experience, but confidence as well. I think I will be in for a tough fight. I'm not sure why, but it seems like eldar is always tough to play against....for all of my armies.


Necrons:
This time, I've brought a better and more optimized necron list than in my previous games. Also, in my noobness, I made some crucial mistakes the first time we played. I thought that my tremorstaves were only 24" when they are actually 36". I also played it as vehicles immobilize themselves on a 1 when it should have been on a 1-2 because all non-walker vehicles treat difficult terrain as dangerous (due to the C'tan's Writhing Worldscape power). That's almost like playing a MEQ army thinking that meltas were only 8" and without the +D6 to armor pen at half distance (well, maybe not quite that bad, but you get my meaning). But now I'm coming into this battle with a tougher list and with a better understanding of my army. But somehow, I still feel like the underdog in this battle.

I think the key is if my scarabs can survive with enough numbers to hit his war walkers. If so, then I think I can take this one. If not, I probably won't survive his shooting.


--------------------------------------------------------------


Mission: BAO scenario

Deployment: Pitched Battle

Initiative: Eldar


--------------------------------------------------------------


Deployment:

Map of the terrain.



The 3 Seize Ground objectives.


My Capture & Control objective.


My opponent's C&C objective.


My opponent picks the side with the 2 Seize Ground objectives. This is his right flank (from my perspective).


Eldrad with dires (in painted serpent) and wraithguard deploys on the left flank.


I deploy 1 wraiths (using some tyranid proxies) and 2 warriors on my left flank.

Ha! What a nub. I actually fall for Eldrad's redeployment shenanigans.


The rest of my army deploys in the middle to right flank.


Overview of our deployment....or so I thought.


Eldrad then moves the wraithguards and 1 unit of warwalkers to the right flank. Doh!

I don't attempt to steal the initiative and we begin.


--------------------------------------------------------------



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in us
Frightening Flamer of Tzeentch





I love the terrain. I'm looking forward to the rest of the batrep.

Do not fear 
   
Made in au
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!







The honor an hot dog signs are classics lol

W/L/D
5/2/0 2500
5/1/2 2500 http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/XIV%20Legion%207th%20Company

2nd edition: Blood Angels
3rd edition: Imperial Guard
4th edition: Iron Warriors
5th edition: Death Guard
6th & 7th edition: taking a break - power creeep (lethality of game) became too hot to handle 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






I think the wraithguard, while tough versus shooting, will be the downfall of the list here. The Eldar took no CC, and while they have a withering amount of s6 shots they have only 3s8 shots; with LOS blocking terrain I see your wraiths and command barge getting into CC without too much trouble. Once in CC, no avatar/Yriel/Harlequins mean you just lock up his war walkers until they are dead. Then your scarabs go nuts.

I think a stronger list would include a jetbike unit with a warlock, and 10 Harlequins with kisses and the shrouding upgrade. The 'quins are decent on foot, and the bikes provide a good scoring unit. With 'quins in the list, he has something to deter you from getting too close at least.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

--------------------------------------------------------------


Eldar 1
I make it Night-fight.


Eldrad Fortunes his ride. His serpent then moves flat-out to give cover to the wraithguards. Methinks he is too cautious about my almost non-existent shooting.

No shooting.

His war walkers then assault my wraiths and scarabs. No, just kidding. No assault either.


Necron 1

Spyders spawn 3 scarabs without taking a wound.


My army then advances.

Orange warriors decide to go grab themselves some pizza.


On the left flank, wraiths begin their long journey towards the eldar threat. Warriors start heading for objectives.


Surflord goes flat-out and gets ready to pounce next turn.


Left units run but don't get far.


Right units try to get out of LOS of some of the war walkers but I roll low for my running.


Shooting stuns (reduced to shaken by spirit stones) the left serpent and puts the right one in dangerous terrain.


Eldar 2

Eldar movement. Eldrad Guides 1 unit of walkers and Fortunes his serpent and the wraithguards. He then moves flat-out. The serpent in dangerous terrain stays still and the shaken serpent moves flat-out towards my guys.


I under-estimated wraithguard shooting. I don't know how but all were able to draw LOS to my command barge and they shoot it down. Then his guided walkers shoot at my Overlord. They wound him about 10 times, way below average, but then I proceed to roll 3 's for my saves.

Then I fail my 4+ check to see if he gets back up. Ouch!

Eldar: 2, Necrons: 0


His other, unguided walkers fire at my wraiths and scarabs, killing 2 wraiths and 3 scarab bases.


Necron 2

Killing my Overlord was huge. Let's see if I can recover. Spyders spawn 3 scarabs, with 1 spyder taking 1 wound. Necrons then advance and should be within assault range.


All is quiet on the western front.


Warriors move.


Troops do some running. I am using the C'tan to protect my warriors and to kill any skimmers that try to contest later.


The necron threat is very real. Left wraiths try to get out of LOS.


His wraithguards and war walkers brace themselves for the inevitable necron onslaught.....

But before that, my tremorstave puts another serpent in dangerous terrain. Then....


....booommmm! Unstoppable force runs into immovable object.

Scarabs, failing to multi-charge 2 units of walkers, decide instead to multi-charge 1 unit of walkers and the wraithguards. Now you ask why would I want to multi-charge his wraithguards with my scarabs? Because I'm hoping that all the damage I'm going to do to his walkers will translate into a ton of fearless No Retreat saves for his wraithguards....

Heh, heh....sometimes, I surprise myself at how evil I can be. <* cues evil laugh *>


HOWEVER.....things don't quite go as I had planned. After 50+ attacks on his walkers, I only manage to reduce each one by 1-2 armor only. Overall, I think I only shake 2 war walkers. Then I fail to get through his wraithguards re-rollable 3+ saves and only rend once, which he allocates on his spiritseer's re-rollable 4++ invuln.

Overall, I don't kill anything and actually lose combat 5-2.


Eldar 3

With his un-tremored serpent, he moves flat-out towards my C&C objective.

He moves his 2 guided war-walkers up. I can't believe he has LOS to my hidden wraiths.


And the wraiths are no more after eating 48 twin-linked S6 shots.

Eldar: 3, Necrons: 0


This time in combat, my scarabs fare better and wipe out all 3 war walkers. I also kill 1 wraithguard. His wraithguards, in turn, inflict a couple of wounds on my scarabs and passes all No Retreat saves even without Fortune.

Eldar: 3, Necrons: 1


Necron 3

Warriors move back a little.


Spyders advance. Other warriors head for an objective.


More warriors going for objectives.


Warriors hit the serpent with some gauss and only manage to shake it.


In the wraith-wraithguard battle, I am slowly winning by attrition, killing 3 wraithguards while only taking 1W on my scarabs. I need to kill them faster and on his turn!


Eldar 4

Eldar movement. Eldrad Guides the 2 walkers again and I believe he Fortunes his own serpent.


His shaken serpent moves flat-out away from my lance warriors.


Guided walkers blast my spyders. I survive....but with only 1W left on 1 spyder!


I continue to grind down his wraithguards, killing another 3 and taking no wounds in return. BTW, that extra wound counter on the wraiths should actually be on the scarabs instead.


Necron 4

Warriors spread out to capture 2 objectives. I now realize my folly of leaving my C'tan away from the conflict. My guys need all the help they can get and so I start to move the C'tan over there.


Tremor-tek puts the serpent in dangerous terrain. My spyder then assaults it....and as expected, can't even touch it.


I finally wipe out his wraithguards, but I do it when I don't really want to....on my own turn. Uh oh!

Eldar: 3, Necrons: 2


Eldar 5

This time, my opponent decides to get some pizza, only he's taking it to-go. Lucky for him, he doesn't immobilize himself in doing so.


However, the other black serpent does immobilize itself while trying to move.

Walkers get ready to blast my wraiths and spyders (they've been guided) and Eldrad's unit goes to claim an objective.


War walkers are able to fire at scarabs without cover and blows them away. The other walkers fire at my wraiths and kill 2 (only the whip coils survive).

Eldar: 4, Necrons: 2

Finally, Eldrad's brightlance kills my spyder (with only 1W left).

Eldar: 5, Necrons: 2


Necron 5

I'm losing on Kill Points. My only chance of coming back is on the objectives. Warriors move forwards.


My other warriors climb onto the ruins to claim the objective and also to get a better view to blast Eldrad's vehicle.


On the left, warriors shuffle around and C'tan continues to advance.


Lance-tek blasts his serpent in the rear and explodes it. 3 dire avengers die in the explosion but they pass morale.

Eldar: 5, Necrons: 3


My lance-tek and tremor-tek from my left flank is barely in range and blasts Eldrad's ride, shaking it and putting it in dangerous terrain.


Finally, the wraiths assault 1 unit of walkers (couldn't quite make it for the multi-assault). I whiff in combat and fail to do any damage.

We roll to see if the game continues and it does.


Eldar 6

His serpent immobilizes itself while trying to tank shock my warriors. Now it is no longer contesting my objective (we played that if it was still on its base, it could claim/contest due to its higher elevation, but an immobilized transport (as well as all infantry) can only claim/contest by going up the ruins).


Eldrad disembarks from he vehicle (he is Fortuned) and moves up the ruins.


My C'tan barely goes down to his walkers. They only wound 6 times and I fail 4 of my saves.

Eldar: 6, Necrons: 3


Serpent frags 1 warrior to death, but he would later get back up.


His shooting takes down another 4 warriors.


But 2 get back up. I make a big mistake here. I should have removed the warriors on the top to prevent Eldrad's assault.


Eldrad then assaults and kills 2, including my cryptek. They don't get back up, though I do pass morale.

My only chance of staying in the game is A) my warriors can somehow survive or B) my wraiths wipe out his war walkers this turn.


Unfortunately, the wraiths only kill 2 walkers and he kills the wounded wraith.

So now, my only chance for a draw is to survive combat with Eldrad.


Necron 6

They don't. Eldar is claiming this Seize Ground objective.

Eldar: 7, Necrons: 3


They've also got the hot dog stand covered as well for 2 Seize Ground objectives.


I've got 1 Seize Ground objective here.

I've also got 2 more objectives:


Unfortunately, they are both C&C objectives.

So I've got Capture & Control.

My eldar opponent has Annihilation and Seize Ground.

We roll to see if the game continues and it doesn't. Necrons finally go down.




Victory to the Space Elves!!!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2012/03/17 19:34:17



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine





Goldsboro, NC

This report is starting to get good. Can't wait for the end.




"Say when!" 
   
Made in au
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!







elder are pwning atm

Go you good thing !!

W/L/D
5/2/0 2500
5/1/2 2500 http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/XIV%20Legion%207th%20Company

2nd edition: Blood Angels
3rd edition: Imperial Guard
4th edition: Iron Warriors
5th edition: Death Guard
6th & 7th edition: taking a break - power creeep (lethality of game) became too hot to handle 
   
Made in us
Sneaky Striking Scorpion






sumi808 wrote:elder are pwning atm


Your qualifier is right on. I don't think this state of affairs will last long.

The Wraithguard are in combat with no support to dig them out, and about to be hit by another Wraith squad. Even worse, Eldrad looks to be out of range to cast fortune on them next turn. WG are a great tarpit, but without fortune, with no CC back up, and against rending the outcome is inevitable.

The WW's are pinned in the corner with the scarabs right on top of them.The only bright spot is that the scarabs are locked into combat with the WG, who might get lucky and hold them up for a turn or two.

That will leave 3 WS, that the crons can immobilize to death.


As a side note: Wraiths vs. Wraithguard- The Eldar, the metalic undead's greatest enemy, brought their undead to fight for them. Irony? I can't decide.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/03/17 17:59:22


It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire 
   
Made in us
Member of a Lodge? I Can't Say





Los Angeles, CA

Looks like the eldar started off a little timid. That's always a bad move against CC heavy necrons.


http://www.3forint.com/ Back in Action! 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA


Battle report completed.





Automatically Appended Next Post:
Mannfred wrote:Think you have made an error in your army list, shouldn't there be 4 crypteks instead of 5? or am i missing something?

Thanks for noticing. I've changed it now.


Iranna wrote:I think that the Eldar player has made a mistake by putting Eldrad with the Dire Avengers, I would have had him in the big squad of Wraithguard to throw Fortune on them and Guide on 2 squads of Walkers.

This should be interesting though, I think the Necrons may have it but as always, waiting on baited breath!

Iranna.

I like putting Eldrad in the serpent for reasons of mobility. He can get to any unit to give them whatever power, though you do need to plan his movement in advance.


-666- wrote:I love the terrain. I'm looking forward to the rest of the batrep.

Thanks! Our LGS has some pretty cool terrain.


sumi808 wrote:The honor an hot dog signs are classics lol

There's also a pizzeria as well as a deli there. And if you look closely enough, you'll find J.Lo somewhere in there....


DevianID wrote:I think the wraithguard, while tough versus shooting, will be the downfall of the list here. The Eldar took no CC, and while they have a withering amount of s6 shots they have only 3s8 shots; with LOS blocking terrain I see your wraiths and command barge getting into CC without too much trouble. Once in CC, no avatar/Yriel/Harlequins mean you just lock up his war walkers until they are dead. Then your scarabs go nuts.

I think a stronger list would include a jetbike unit with a warlock, and 10 Harlequins with kisses and the shrouding upgrade. The 'quins are decent on foot, and the bikes provide a good scoring unit. With 'quins in the list, he has something to deter you from getting too close at least.

I'm not a big fan of the wraithguards as well. They are a slow unit in an otherwise fast army, though I can see their role as bodyguards for the war walkers. I'd much rather keep the seer council (though with some destructors) that he used in our previous game. It's a great fire-magnet. Harlequins are good, but I probably wouldn't use them with this list.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
Dash2021 wrote:
Your qualifier is right on. I don't think this state of affairs will last long.

The Wraithguard are in combat with no support to dig them out, and about to be hit by another Wraith squad. Even worse, Eldrad looks to be out of range to cast fortune on them next turn. WG are a great tarpit, but without fortune, with no CC back up, and against rending the outcome is inevitable.

The WW's are pinned in the corner with the scarabs right on top of them.The only bright spot is that the scarabs are locked into combat with the WG, who might get lucky and hold them up for a turn or two.

That will leave 3 WS, that the crons can immobilize to death.


As a side note: Wraiths vs. Wraithguard- The Eldar, the metalic undead's greatest enemy, brought their undead to fight for them. Irony? I can't decide.

That was what was supposed to happen. But then my plans all went to sh*t! Wraithguards held out much longer than expected even without Fortune due to good armor saves by my opponent.

Then I don't know how the heck he did it, but he was able to draw LOS with all 6 of his walkers at my "hidden" wraiths. Then guided shots on a doomed unit as well as bad saves on my part finished them off.

48 shots, 36 hits, 35 wounds, 12 unsaved wounds.....yup, that'll do it, though with wound allocation, maybe 1 may survive.

Anyways, things didn't quite go as planned and a few mistakes on my part sealed the deal for an eldar victory.



This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2012/03/17 20:00:56



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in us
Wicked Canoptek Wraith





I knew you were do for a loss, I bet the right way in the poll and made a million pretend moneys. Wraithguard are great beefy guards, i expected them to completely waste whichever unit threatened the walkers first but they really hung in there even after blasting up the barge.


So are you thinking the mixed wraithwing and scarab farm with scoring msu lance squads is the way to play tremor or do you still think there's some units to mix around and try out with it before you're happy with the list? Without orikan or more tremorteks are you really a tremorcron enough list to warrant the writhing worldscape?
   
Made in no
Regular Dakkanaut




very nice rep and quite the kicking of shiny metal behinds there.

For the record that's the reddest avengers I have ever seen
   
Made in us
Sneaky Striking Scorpion






Not gonna lie, it's good to be wrong sometimes

I thought moving Eldrad away from the WG (thus denying a turn of fortune) was gonna be it for them, but the gamble paid off big when his WW's drew LoS on the incoming wraiths. 2 full units of guided WW's on a doomed anything is a bad day (for the target ). Excellent play by Eldar there, and hats off for it. I'll be as bold as to say that was the game winner right there. WW's are slow and fragile, but if you can protect them they put out crazy dakka for the points.

I had two questions about the all important turn 2, concerning assault and Eldar tactics:

1) If the WG had not left a gap between the terrain and the unit, would the scarabs still have made it into assault with the WW's ( i.e. would that have forced the scarabs to assault through terrain and possibly denied the assault all together?).

2) Did your opponent have a rationale for splitting fire between the wraiths and scarabs that turn? With my best "arm chair quarterback" hat on, I would have tried to focus one of the units into the ground and taken it like a man from the other. However he clearly knows what he's doing, so my assumption is that I'm missing something he picked up on..

Any who, grats to the Eldar victory. The space elves clearly deserve victory over the inferior races, but it is becoming disparagingly less common than it should be. Hopefully this is only a sign of things to come *crosses fingers for a return to heavy 3 plasma in the 6th ed. codex*.

It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire 
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine





Deep in the Woods

Great report, I enjoyed it.
I thought you had to be able to see out of a vehicle to cast from it? Is there an eldar rule that ignores this?

"I have traveled trough the Realm of Death and brought back novelty pencils"
 GamesWorkshop wrote:
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere and somewhere hearts are light,and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;but there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out. 
   
Made in us
Sneaky Striking Scorpion






Nicorex wrote:Great report, I enjoyed it.
I thought you had to be able to see out of a vehicle to cast from it? Is there an eldar rule that ignores this?


Fortune, guide and doom don't require LoS. Only 2 of the 5 abilities (Mind War and Eldritch Storm) are "shooting" attacks, so only those 2 require LoS. Not a huge issue for Eldar Farseers to rock it in a WS as Fortune/guide/doom are huge force multipliers and MW/ES are only ever situationally useful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/03/18 04:56:19


It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

Actinium wrote:I knew you were do for a loss, I bet the right way in the poll and made a million pretend moneys. Wraithguard are great beefy guards, i expected them to completely waste whichever unit threatened the walkers first but they really hung in there even after blasting up the barge.


So are you thinking the mixed wraithwing and scarab farm with scoring msu lance squads is the way to play tremor or do you still think there's some units to mix around and try out with it before you're happy with the list? Without orikan or more tremorteks are you really a tremorcron enough list to warrant the writhing worldscape?

This is the hybrid wraithwing/tremorcron list that I am working on. Currently working on my 2nd batch of 6 wraiths.

Overlord w/warscythe on CCB - 180
4x Crypteks - 2x Lances, 2x Tremorstaves, 1x Pulse - 150
Overlord w/warscythe on CCB - 180
4x Crypteks - 2x Lances, 2x Tremorstaves - 130

C'tan - WW, Lord of Flame - 230

4x5 Warriors - 260

6x Wraiths - 3x Whips, 1x Pistol - 245
6x Wraiths - 3x Whips, 1x Pistol - 245
5x Wraiths - 2x Whips, 1x Pistol - 200

Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge

2000

Eric Hoegar, who took 1st at SVDM GT with a wraithwing build, brought a very similar hybrid wraithwing/tremorcron build to Warm Fabric National GT and took 2nd with it. It's a very strong build, but in no ways is it the only competitive build for the tremorcron necrons. But it's the build that I like and I am slowly building towards it.

Wraithguards are a really tough unit and a good tarpit as long as their opponent is not assaulting with an all power weapon unit (i.e. terminators). Grey knights are not so bad for them thanks to Runes of Warding in the army, though they won't survive paladins (not many units would). I under-estimated their shooting....or rather, I under-estimated the fact that they could all get into a position with LOS to my barge, just like I under-estimated the war walkers ability to get into a good position to shoot down my wraiths.


SevenSins wrote:very nice rep and quite the kicking of shiny metal behinds there.

For the record that's the reddest avengers I have ever seen

Yeah, they didn't quite make it pass the primer phase yet.


Dash2021 wrote:Not gonna lie, it's good to be wrong sometimes

I thought moving Eldrad away from the WG (thus denying a turn of fortune) was gonna be it for them, but the gamble paid off big when his WW's drew LoS on the incoming wraiths. 2 full units of guided WW's on a doomed anything is a bad day (for the target ). Excellent play by Eldar there, and hats off for it. I'll be as bold as to say that was the game winner right there. WW's are slow and fragile, but if you can protect them they put out crazy dakka for the points.

I had two questions about the all important turn 2, concerning assault and Eldar tactics:

1) If the WG had not left a gap between the terrain and the unit, would the scarabs still have made it into assault with the WW's ( i.e. would that have forced the scarabs to assault through terrain and possibly denied the assault all together?).

2) Did your opponent have a rationale for splitting fire between the wraiths and scarabs that turn? With my best "arm chair quarterback" hat on, I would have tried to focus one of the units into the ground and taken it like a man from the other. However he clearly knows what he's doing, so my assumption is that I'm missing something he picked up on..

Any who, grats to the Eldar victory. The space elves clearly deserve victory over the inferior races, but it is becoming disparagingly less common than it should be. Hopefully this is only a sign of things to come *crosses fingers for a return to heavy 3 plasma in the 6th ed. codex*.

1) Probably. I actually rolled for terrain for the multi-charge and they failed to reach the 2nd unit of walkers, though I believe that the roll would have been high enough to reach the first unit of walkers.

2) There may have been LOS issues. If they focused-fire on just 1 unit, maybe 1 or 2 of the walkers might not have been able to see. Also, the way I removed models after his 1st unit fired (i.e. wraiths), I might have denied him LOS to that unit for the 2nd walkers. It's hard to say at this point though.


Nicorex wrote:Great report, I enjoyed it.
I thought you had to be able to see out of a vehicle to cast from it? Is there an eldar rule that ignores this?

Dash2021 wrote:
Fortune, guide and doom don't require LoS. Only 2 of the 5 abilities (Mind War and Eldritch Storm) are "shooting" attacks, so only those 2 require LoS. Not a huge issue for Eldar Farseers to rock it in a WS as Fortune/guide/doom are huge force multipliers and MW/ES are only ever situationally useful.

Right. Thanks, Dash.

Also, another restriction is that you cannot cast guide/fortune on a unit embarked in a different transport than the caster's. Though this didn't happen in this game, I found out about it in another game when my opponent guided 2 units of 10 fire dragons inside their transports and then they disembarked to shoot at my paladins.



This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/03/18 05:31:34



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in us
Devestating Grey Knight Dreadknight






Tokyo, Japan

Always enjoyable Jy2. I think your MTO necrons are still a bit better than this one though. The tremor crons are a fun list and can be good vs assaulty groups. Crucible of anti-charge through difficult terrain (w/e the darn thing is called) with alot of shooty cron blobs/cover and mind shackle scarabs, and some long range bargers to give some long distance punches is how I've typically seen the tremor crons used but very refreshing to see a hybrid list.

+ Thought of the day + Not even in death does duty end.


 
   
Made in gb
Frightening Flamer of Tzeentch







Woo Hoo, I voted correctly on the poll!

Tournament record: (W/D/L)
Space wolves : 1/1/1
Dark Eldar : 6/0/1 (1 overall win)
Daemons :8/0/2 (1 overall win)
Normal games starting 5/11/12:
Dark Eldar 13/0/1
Daemons 32/1/1
Friends armies 1/0/0 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

sudojoe wrote:Always enjoyable Jy2. I think your MTO necrons are still a bit better than this one though. The tremor crons are a fun list and can be good vs assaulty groups. Crucible of anti-charge through difficult terrain (w/e the darn thing is called) with alot of shooty cron blobs/cover and mind shackle scarabs, and some long range bargers to give some long distance punches is how I've typically seen the tremor crons used but very refreshing to see a hybrid list.

One of the weaknesses of a tremorcron list is its unreliability, or what I refer to as its randomness factor. Certain units like Immotehk can shine against the right army and with the right dice rolls, but he isn't consistent and you're just as likely to have a 225pt dud just as often as a 225pt stud. Orikan, while his 1st turn ability is great, is just unreliable when he changes into a c'tan. I'm trying to take out as much of the random factor (and gimmicks) as possible from the tremorcron lists. That's where I see the wraithwing part. Wraiths and CCB Overlords are 2 of the most consistent performers in the codex from my experiences. They are a safe bet against almost any army out there. You can't really go wrong with them.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2012/03/18 19:55:44



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in us
Perfected Haemonculi Living Sculpture






Great game! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, you really have a horrible record against eldar for some reason it seems like jy2. Though I do know from experience that those CWE are a pain with fortune and guide.

I am curious though, whether you think the last couple of losses are do mostly to the size game you were playing. I notice most of your more solid victories and lists are built at 2000 pts or greater and at the 1750 and lower it seems your favorite units aren't performing as well... I notice the difference from playing 'Ard Boy'z each year and certain armies like CWE are ruthless at 1750 and lower but much worse at high level games.

Great report, those dice had to punish you eventually I think the biggest point was finishing his WG on your turn 5 and losing your scarabs, one phase difference and the whole game changes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/03/19 00:09:52


   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

I actually consistently have problems with 2 of the older codices, you know, the ones that the interwebs are saying are not competitive....eldar and tau. IMO, they are still really good armies if you know how to play them. Sure, they have some drawbacks and may require a little more finesse to play, but I honestly think they can compete with most of the army builds today (I didn't say all).

I think war-walker spam actually matches up well against non-meched necrons. With doom and guide, they are just so good at taking down infantry without FNP. And with the exception of my necrons, Runes of Warding just screws with all my other armies who are primarily psychic (grey knights, tyranids, space wolves).

I don't really think the size matters as much (unless it's my Draigowing). While it's true that some armies play better at 1750 or under (i.e. Sisters of Battle), most of my armies I design to be scalable, whether downsizing or upsizing it. Though inherently, certain armies like the grey knights and tyranids play better at larger games (1850+) just because their good "toys" are generally more expensive. My first few necron battles at 1750 weren't really optimized lists. This list is more optimized, but it still isn't what I truly want yet.

Yeah, despite the wallop my opponent gave to my surflord and wraiths and despite the mistakes I made in this game, I still had a good chance to win it if only the wraith-scarab-wraithguard combat was a little bit more average. Then I probably could've been able to finish off those wraithguards 1 turn earlier on his turn instead of on mine.



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in us
Perfected Haemonculi Living Sculpture






Yea I agree, I find with tau people too often forget about the good old fire warrior. I like kroot but a 30" strength 5 infantry gun is amazing. I also love the sniper teams. But who can blame them, most people have armies built around previous editions and without any updates there isn't much incentive to play around and find better builds.

Yea, I actually hate Ruins of Warding. I like the idea but I think it's currently a bit harsh. It's only tame at the moment because their dex is old. This was a great game, I just feel like the C'tan isn't worth his points for the gimick but I'll wait until your done testing as a "perfect" balance for the list may be there.

Thanks again! GG!

   
Made in us
Painlord Titan Princeps of Slaanesh





Syracuse, NY

Tau knocked me out of the running for Best General in the last round of a GT - I had a massacre win Turn 5 and their shooty shenanigans took 5 kp from me and 2 objectives in a single turn (stripped 5 wounds off a Slaanesh Chariot in cover, 12 Daemonettes, 2 Grinders and 3 Fiends). I still remember rolling snake eyes for that Chariot charge and thinking...uh oh...

They can be very very good and it is hard to practice against them due to their scarcity.

Daemons Blog - The Mandulian Chapel 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

Red Corsair wrote:Yea I agree, I find with tau people too often forget about the good old fire warrior. I like kroot but a 30" strength 5 infantry gun is amazing. I also love the sniper teams. But who can blame them, most people have armies built around previous editions and without any updates there isn't much incentive to play around and find better builds.

Yea, I actually hate Ruins of Warding. I like the idea but I think it's currently a bit harsh. It's only tame at the moment because their dex is old. This was a great game, I just feel like the C'tan isn't worth his points for the gimick but I'll wait until your done testing as a "perfect" balance for the list may be there.

Thanks again! GG!

It's a shame not many people nowadays run more fire warriors (except those who are just getting into Tau). Then again, more fire warriors = less suits, which seems to be the trend for more optimized tau lists. I've also played against a sniper team before. They truly are a pain for MEQ players, especially when assisted by pathfinders.

RoW will be nerfed in the next eldar codex, just as the range of psychic hoods have been nerfed presently. But I don't look to the future as any type of solution. I deal with the problem currently as it is...and just blast it away like I do any other army.


calypso2ts wrote:Tau knocked me out of the running for Best General in the last round of a GT - I had a massacre win Turn 5 and their shooty shenanigans took 5 kp from me and 2 objectives in a single turn (stripped 5 wounds off a Slaanesh Chariot in cover, 12 Daemonettes, 2 Grinders and 3 Fiends). I still remember rolling snake eyes for that Chariot charge and thinking...uh oh...

They can be very very good and it is hard to practice against them due to their scarcity.

I've actually got 2 good Tau players in my area that I play against periodically. Though I have not played against them yet with my necrons, they do tend to give my grey knights fits. It was Tau that almost beat my at the Ard Boyz.

But then it was Eldar that finally beat my knights at the AB Semi's.



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in se
Implacable Skitarii




Sweden

Good writeup, sharp pictures, great terrain, interesting matchup and nice painting on the models (those who were painted) = Awesome batrep

WH40k - Blood Angels, Eldar 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Battle Reports
Go to: