Switch Theme:

Space Marine Troop Conversion Ideas  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

I have seen posts about your best conversions and they are full of Xenos and Chaos scum. What I am looking for in this thread are Space Marine conversion ideas. More specifically, I want troop conversion ideas. It can be an Assault Squad, Tactical Squad, a Scout Squad, a Devistator Squad, or a Veteran Squad. I want to see your best conversions in POWER ARMOUR. So please, no termies, vehicles, IG, Chaos, etc.

Let's see what you've got!


Automatically Appended Next Post:
There are a few pics on my profile of some things I've done if you would like some examples of what I'm talking aboot.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2012/07/31 05:26:57


 
   
Made in gb
Knight of the Inner Circle






Dude just looked at your pics. Their awesome. Love your shrike and your tactical squad. With the bokters what are they trying torepresent? Ie why have you changed them?

Check out my Empire Painting Blog
:http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/519922.page#5662079

Ogre Kingdoms 3k Complete
Empire 4K Complete
Warriors of Chaos 2.5K WIP
Nurgle Demons 2k Complete
Blood Ravens 2K Complete
Dark Angels 3K WIP
Allied Detachment Tau WIP
Bloodbowl Orcs. WIP 
   
Made in us
Most Glorious Grey Seer





Everett, WA

Why would you magnatise a Devestator like that? Are chests, legs, and torsos really that expensive?

Reading's for morons who can't understand pictures.

 
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Lordjig6 wrote:Dude just looked at your pics. Their awesome. Love your shrike and your tactical squad. With the bokters what are they trying torepresent? Ie why have you changed them?


Thank you.

They reason I shortened the bolsters is because, in reality, shorter weapons are more advantageous for close quarters fighting. I wanted to model a squad that looked like they were designed for breach and clear ops. My plan is to paint "knock knock" on the sergeants power fist. Much like you might see on a SWAT team's battering ram.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Breotan wrote:Why would you magnatise a Devestator like that? Are chests, legs, and torsos really that expensive?


The Devistator team I have is highly versatile. The squad be equipped with any combination of weapons I need. I have two las cannons, three missile launchers, multi-melta, and the heavy bolters you see in the pictures that can all be swapped out depending on the game type and opponent. By doing this I have only tied up 5 models on a single squad that can have a lot more options.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/07/31 20:33:13


 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

Bitz_Addict wrote:
Breotan wrote:Why would you magnatise a Devestator like that? Are chests, legs, and torsos really that expensive?


The Devistator team I have is highly versatile. The squad be equipped with any combination of weapons I need. I have two las cannons, three missile launchers, multi-melta, and the heavy bolters you see in the pictures that can all be swapped out depending on the game type and opponent. By doing this I have only tied up 5 models on a single squad that can have a lot more options.


It's still seems like a lot of effort for minimal return. Just buy a tac marine box and glue them all up with heavy weapons. If you paint squad markings, paint them all as belonging to the the same unit. Yes there might be 8 guys all painted for what on your FoC is a 5 man squad, but you just swap out the whole model instead of the arms/backpack/weapon. And as a bonus, the ones not fielded in the dev squad can be loaned to the tacs if you want something other then a ML.

Magnets are great, but I think this is going a little to far. It's cool if you want to do it, but from a time/money/effort investment point of view, just buying a combat squad and glueing them all up seems a much better plan.

Ultramarines, 3rd Co. and friends, 13K+ Slowly growing 3Kish
Nevelon's Workbench: Ultramarines, Saim-Hann and other assorted oddities
 
   
Made in us
Boosting Space Marine Biker





Las Vegas

These guys are for my Minotaurs project. The standard tac marine conversion consists of a minotaurs shoulder pad, mk6 assault legs, and DA bolter arms with the DA insignia removed. The Assault Cannon marine is my "counts-as" heavy bolter marine. I didn't have any heavy weapon bits, but I had some bits I used to build this guy. The arms are GK Psilencer arms with the barrel and tubes removed and filed smooth. The assault cannon and ammo feed comes from the Ravenwing upgrade kit. The tac marine needs some mold line clean up, but he's good other than that.
[Thumb - MinoTac1_1.JPG]
Tactical marine conversion 1

[Thumb - MinoTac1_2.JPG]
Tactical marine conversion 2

[Thumb - MinoTac2H_1.JPG]
"Counts-as" heavy bolter marine

[Thumb - MinoTac2H_2.JPG]
"Counts-as" heavy bolter marine

[Thumb - MinoTac2H_3.JPG]
"Counts-as" heavy bolter marine


"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein 
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Nevelon wrote:
Bitz_Addict wrote:
Breotan wrote:Why would you magnatise a Devestator like that? Are chests, legs, and torsos really that expensive?


The Devistator team I have is highly versatile. The squad be equipped with any combination of weapons I need. I have two las cannons, three missile launchers, multi-melta, and the heavy bolters you see in the pictures that can all be swapped out depending on the game type and opponent. By doing this I have only tied up 5 models on a single squad that can have a lot more options.


It's still seems like a lot of effort for minimal return. Just buy a tac marine box and glue them all up with heavy weapons. If you paint squad markings, paint them all as belonging to the the same unit. Yes there might be 8 guys all painted for what on your FoC is a 5 man squad, but you just swap out the whole model instead of the arms/backpack/weapon. And as a bonus, the ones not fielded in the dev squad can be loaned to the tacs if you want something other then a ML.

Magnets are great, but I think this is going a little to far. It's cool if you want to do it, but from a time/money/effort investment point of view, just buying a combat squad and glueing them all up seems a much better plan.


Well, I also wanted a very specific look to my devistators. The torsos are from an assault squad and the heads ran a couple USD a pop. The return was getting a unique and versatile dev squad.

 
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Peredyne wrote:These guys are for my Minotaurs project. The standard tac marine conversion consists of a minotaurs shoulder pad, mk6 assault legs, and DA bolter arms with the DA insignia removed. The Assault Cannon marine is my "counts-as" heavy bolter marine. I didn't have any heavy weapon bits, but I had some bits I used to build this guy. The arms are GK Psilencer arms with the barrel and tubes removed and filed smooth. The assault cannon and ammo feed comes from the Ravenwing upgrade kit. The tac marine needs some mold line clean up, but he's good other than that.


Loving this squad. Particularly the assault cannon. I toyed with something similar but I like the way yours turned out.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Come on, let's see some more of those POWER ARMOUR mods!
[Thumb - IMG_20120731_185130.jpg]
Assault Cannon Variation

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/08/01 01:20:52


 
   
Made in nl
Esteemed Veteran Space Marine





the Netherlands

stole this from SONS OF ORAR, but i started to use this in various ways and it looks good!



   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

DijnsK wrote:stole this from SONS OF ORAR, but i started to use this in various ways and it looks good!




Liking the shoulder pads. Any pics of models with them mounted?

 
   
Made in nl
Esteemed Veteran Space Marine





the Netherlands

SONS OR ORAR has loads of them... i only used it in the past a couple of times so i dont think i have pics atm

   
Made in us
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets






Peredyne wrote:These guys are for my Minotaurs project. The standard tac marine conversion consists of a minotaurs shoulder pad, mk6 assault legs, and DA bolter arms with the DA insignia removed. The Assault Cannon marine is my "counts-as" heavy bolter marine. I didn't have any heavy weapon bits, but I had some bits I used to build this guy. The arms are GK Psilencer arms with the barrel and tubes removed and filed smooth. The assault cannon and ammo feed comes from the Ravenwing upgrade kit. The tac marine needs some mold line clean up, but he's good other than that.


I love the assault cannon Marine! But isn't the other one an awful lot of work for a model that is easily acquired?
   
Made in us
Boosting Space Marine Biker





Las Vegas

SoloFalcon1138 wrote:I love the assault cannon Marine! But isn't the other one an awful lot of work for a model that is easily acquired?


Well, I have so many bits from previous projects it seems a shame to waste them when I can use them to give the figs some character. Removing the DA insignia was just a snip with my sprue cutter and a quick going over with my diamond file. The Assault legs were spares and the Minotaurs pad was one of the odd right arm pads that FW mixes into their sculpts. Besides, I like having some conversions scattered throughout my armies to differentiate the minis from everyone else's armies.

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein 
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Let's see some more, people!

 
   
Made in us
Yellin' Yoof





Here's my first attempt at a conversion a few years ago.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/08/03 05:02:57


 
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Graveyman wrote:Here's my first attempt at a conversion a few years ago.




Nice start! Love the flail.

 
   
Made in us
Humorless Arbite




Outside the DarkTower, amongst the roses.

Not really a troops choice but I made a Pedro Kantor out of a AOBR captain that I thought turned out nice. Not the best picture though.



Every Dakkanaught gets a 4+ Pinch of Salt save.
When you suffer a Falling Sky hit, roll a D6 - on a 4+ the hit is ignored as per the Pinch of Salt save. On a 1-3 panic insues - you automatically fail common sense tests for the next 2 weeks and get +7 to your negativity stat. -Praxiss


 
   
Made in dk
Stormin' Stompa





Sternguard veterans of my Brothers of Caliban chapter;







More pictures and WIPs here;
http://www.pbase.com/crusader40k/brothers_of_caliban

-------------------------------------------------------
"He died because he had no honor. He had no honor and the Emperor was watching."

18.000 3.500 8.200 3.300 2.400 3.100 5.500 2.500 3.200 3.000


 
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Deathshead420 wrote:Not really a troops choice but I made a Pedro Kantor out of a AOBR captain that I thought turned out nice. Not the best picture though.




Looks good. Doesn't have to be a troop choice. Just want Power Armor mods.

 
   
Made in gb
Crazed Troll Slayer






I no longer play marines so I should really sell all these off one day lol:









This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/08/03 07:27:01


 
   
Made in nz
Death-Dealing Ultramarine Devastator






Heres a Corteaz conversion I did a while ago. It was my first finecast model.



Since then the hammer handle has gone a bit bent to Ill have to heat it up and bend it back. I geberally use him as a thunder hammer captain or a thunder hammer chapter cahmpion if I run my honor guard.

There is no such thing as innocence, only varying levels of guilt.

~4000pts  
   
Made in ca
Renegade Inquisitor with a Bound Daemon





Tied and gagged in the back of your car

Truescale army, "The Gallowsmen":



   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Fafnir wrote:Truescale army, "The Gallowsmen":





Nice, like the true scale stuff.

 
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Anyone have some inquisitors in Power Armour?

 
   
Made in us
Cog in the Machine





USA

I don't have any particularly special infantry models, but I do have some awesome "bikers". I play Salamanders, who do not use many fast attack units due to the gravity changes on their homeworld/base.

So I mounted them on lizards (specifically Lizardmen Cold Ones from Warhammer Fantasy)


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Try to work with your chapter's background to create something unique that other people can't field

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/08/06 04:07:56


"Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"

 
   
Made in ca
Renegade Inquisitor with a Bound Daemon





Tied and gagged in the back of your car

Bitz_Addict wrote:Anyone have some inquisitors in Power Armour?


Inquisitors, eh? Only my favourite thing in 40k. Bound to have a few in powered armour...



Sadly, this is the only power armoured inquisitor I have with a photo that's up to date.
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

Vulkan's Forgemaster wrote:I don't have any particularly special infantry models, but I do have some awesome "bikers". I play Salamanders, who do not use many fast attack units due to the gravity changes on their homeworld/base.

So I mounted them on lizards (specifically Lizardmen Cold Ones from Warhammer Fantasy)


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Try to work with your chapter's background to create something unique that other people can't field


Pics?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Fafnir wrote:
Bitz_Addict wrote:Anyone have some inquisitors in Power Armour?


Inquisitors, eh? Only my favourite thing in 40k. Bound to have a few in powered armour...



Sadly, this is the only power armoured inquisitor I have with a photo that's up to date.


Where is this model from? Calger's retinue?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/08/06 04:52:05


 
   
Made in br
Longtime Dakkanaut




Brazil

Yet to be painted, this is my Wolf Priest Tagnar Youngsoul. My best conversion in power armor so far...



Only power armored guys in here? No chance for scouts or terminators?

If my post show some BAD spelling issues, please forgive-me, english is not my natural language, and i never received formal education on it...
My take on Demiurgs (enjoy the reading):
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/537654.page
Please, if you think im wrong, correct me (i will try to take it constructively). 
   
Made in ca
Renegade Inquisitor with a Bound Daemon





Tied and gagged in the back of your car

Bitz_Addict wrote:
Automatically Appended Next Post:
Fafnir wrote:
Bitz_Addict wrote:Anyone have some inquisitors in Power Armour?


Inquisitors, eh? Only my favourite thing in 40k. Bound to have a few in powered armour...



Sadly, this is the only power armoured inquisitor I have with a photo that's up to date.


Where is this model from? Calger's retinue?


Yep.
   
Made in us
Xenohunter with First Contact





Whidbey Island, WA

The Dwarf Wolf wrote:Yet to be painted, this is my Wolf Priest Tagnar Youngsoul. My best conversion in power armor so far...



Only power armored guys in here? No chance for scouts or terminators?


Any chance of a better shot of the face? I'm just curious and it's not very clear.

Scouts are cool. We see plenty of termie conversions. So please, keep it to power armour and scouts.

 
   
 
Forum Index » Painting & Modeling
Go to: