Switch Theme:

Age of Sigmar 3.0 News & Rumors (Kruleboyz + AoS Terrain Pre-order Sep 18. App Beta)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

 lord_blackfang wrote:
ERJAK wrote:
 Daedalus81 wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
 Daedalus81 wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
Cool story bruh.

Archon makes 8 different plastic Dragons and you can probably buy them all for the price of one of these.


Link?


https://www.dungeonsandlasers.com/late-pledge/

Any 7 for €99, translucent ghost dragon is still in tooling


Those seem quite a bit smaller though?


They're also Kickstarter. Vaporware until shipped.

Speaking out of your bum again? I have the dragons in hand.


Kickstarter has a very good history of not delivering the stuff that was funded on it, not delivering it for years, or delivering it partially and not as described. See: Air Umbrella, Mierce, Iron Harvest, in that order.

Games Workshop are not your friends. They are not a small dev trying their best. They are a multibillion dollar company making calculated decisions about how many costs they can cut, how lazy they can be about relases, and how much they can paywall. They will do it again. Stop giving them money for this. 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
Kickstarter has a very good history of not delivering the stuff that was funded on it, not delivering it for years, or delivering it partially and not as described. See: Air Umbrella, Mierce, Iron Harvest, in that order.


I've been on KS since day one, I'm well aware how it goes. It's still asinine to say a product I have in hand is vaporware.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/26 21:38:00


Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





the dragons look a bit like a d&d copper dragon

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/26 22:54:42


Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

The more I think about it, the less the heads remind me of a Pixar design and the more they start to resemble something that'd come out of the Jim Henson company.

Other than the heads the rest of the models are fine.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Or perhaps Draco from Dragon Heart

A Blog in Miniature

The Swarm Arises

Do you ever notice, sometimes, there's an extra post? 
   
Made in au
Grizzled Space Wolves Great Wolf





I kinda like it other than the way the arms are hanging in front of him, makes the pose look a bit awkward.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Overread wrote:
Or perhaps Draco from Dragon Heart


yeah I was thinking of that too........ I'm gonna imagine these dragons sounding like sean connery now.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Poisonous Tomb Scorpion





Dragons! Huzzah these are cool as heck. So far 2021 has been the best hobby year ever for me. What else are they going to release?
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

BrianDavion wrote:
 Overread wrote:
Or perhaps Draco from Dragon Heart
yeah I was thinking of that too........ I'm gonna imagine these dragons sounding like sean connery now.
Draconith: Have you been watching over me all night?
GW: I've been thinking.
Draconith: Yes? About what?
GW: Many things. Mostly about what to call you. I think I've found you a name.
Draconith: You say that as though you reached up and plucked it from the sky.
GW: I did. Up there. Do you see that group of stars? (points at the Copywrite constellation)
Draconith: I know those stars very well.
GW: Do you see the shape that they make?
Draconith: Mm-hmm, a dragon.
GW: Yes. But we can't call you that, because we can't trademark that word. Instead we'll go with Draconith. It means "dragon", but we can trademark it.
Draconith: (chuckling) So instead of calling me "dragon" in your tongue, you'll call me "dragon" in legalese?
GW: You're right, it's silly.
Draconith: No! No, I would be honoured to be named after a writers attempt to avoid generic terms. I... I truly would. Thank you, GW. "Draconith"...


This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/07/27 02:27:34


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Bounding Ultramarine Assault Trooper




Speaking of trademarks and IP, Christopher Paolini would like his back!

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




At this point they probably have a GW name generator. Just plug in generic noun, it spits out something with a copyright-friendly ending tacked right on for you, simple as can be.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





No wolves on Fenris wrote:
Speaking of trademarks and IP, Christopher Paolini would like his back!


dragon heart and d&d, which have both been identified as having similer look,s both pre-date eregion by a fair bit really I think this is just convergent evolution. there's only so many ways to make a face both draconic and expressive

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Fanatic with Madcap Mushrooms







After sleeping on this the only way to fix this dragon is a new head sculpt, but looking at the rest of the kit it looks nice! The wings gaps concern me though but again can be sculpted...
Both amends will require time and expertise, not an easy project for sure.
Will this kit break the £100 though. £120 maybe?

Karol, Mierce and CMON had some great designs but big resin wings stress me out, plastic is much more durable.

   
Made in us
Poisonous Tomb Scorpion





changemod wrote:
changemod wrote:
Their best effort at a plastic dragon, though it's disappointing to see since it's a multibuild kit it seemingly doesn't come, without some conversion legwork, with a generic option instead of "Sigmarine dragon or heavily scarred dragon."

Also they seem almost ashamed of their goofy """copyright""" name in the article now.


It's now been brought to my attention that the open mouthed head is missing almost half of it's teeth (No wonder I thought it looked a bit off) and that both have the Sigmar birthmark sculpted into their chest.

So yeah, not very interested at this point. I might do a lot of conversion work, but I lack the skill of major resculpting work to the point of mimicking the style of missing teeth to the point it wouldn't be very obvious.


They're part of the stormcast army...so of course they have his mark. I don't think these can be taken in other order armies the way Kragnos can.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 Overread wrote:
Or perhaps Draco from Dragon Heart
yeah I was thinking of that too........ I'm gonna imagine these dragons sounding like sean connery now.
Draconith: Have you been watching over me all night?
GW: I've been thinking.
Draconith: Yes? About what?
GW: Many things. Mostly about what to call you. I think I've found you a name.
Draconith: You say that as though you reached up and plucked it from the sky.
GW: I did. Up there. Do you see that group of stars? (points at the Copywrite constellation)
Draconith: I know those stars very well.
GW: Do you see the shape that they make?
Draconith: Mm-hmm, a dragon.
GW: Yes. But we can't call you that, because we can't trademark that word. Instead we'll go with Draconith. It means "dragon", but we can trademark it.
Draconith: (chuckling) So instead of calling me "dragon" in your tongue, you'll call me "dragon" in legalese?
GW: You're right, it's silly.
Draconith: No! No, I would be honoured to be named after a writers attempt to avoid generic terms. I... I truly would. Thank you, GW. "Draconith"...



Seeing as GW will be calling orcs orcs in TOW, doesn't it kind of invalidate the whole "For copyright purposes" theory of stupid names?
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






I like the red one, though I'm not entirely sure about the head. It could probably use some minor alterations. But from the looks of things this is the kind of dragon I want. The blue one is a strict downgrade for me with a worse head, slightly worse pose (I prefer the head the other way around like on the red one) and silly Sigmarine bits.

Not a fan of them being named characters, but I guess that's just what GW does these days. What I do like, however, immensely so, is that they are riderless. I want a dragon for the dragon, not the silly little monkey on its back. I was delighted to see AoS finally give me that option with the Zombie Dragon and I am equally delighted to see it here.

AllSeeingSkink wrote:
I kinda like it other than the way the arms are hanging in front of him, makes the pose look a bit awkward.


There's a shot from the front left at the end of the stupid spinny sequence in the video that has me pretty positive about the body of the dragon. A page or two ago the kangaroo like pose was pointed out (and I would have been cool with that), but I think a side view will give the model an entirely different appearance than the head on one the photographer chose suggests.

Cronch wrote:
Spoiler:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 Overread wrote:
Or perhaps Draco from Dragon Heart
yeah I was thinking of that too........ I'm gonna imagine these dragons sounding like sean connery now.
Draconith: Have you been watching over me all night?
GW: I've been thinking.
Draconith: Yes? About what?
GW: Many things. Mostly about what to call you. I think I've found you a name.
Draconith: You say that as though you reached up and plucked it from the sky.
GW: I did. Up there. Do you see that group of stars? (points at the Copywrite constellation)
Draconith: I know those stars very well.
GW: Do you see the shape that they make?
Draconith: Mm-hmm, a dragon.
GW: Yes. But we can't call you that, because we can't trademark that word. Instead we'll go with Draconith. It means "dragon", but we can trademark it.
Draconith: (chuckling) So instead of calling me "dragon" in your tongue, you'll call me "dragon" in legalese?
GW: You're right, it's silly.
Draconith: No! No, I would be honoured to be named after a writers attempt to avoid generic terms. I... I truly would. Thank you, GW. "Draconith"...



Seeing as GW will be calling orcs orcs in TOW, doesn't it kind of invalidate the whole "For copyright purposes" theory of stupid names?


Why, would you like to go back to drug abuse as the reason?

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Cronch wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 Overread wrote:
Or perhaps Draco from Dragon Heart
yeah I was thinking of that too........ I'm gonna imagine these dragons sounding like sean connery now.
Draconith: Have you been watching over me all night?
GW: I've been thinking.
Draconith: Yes? About what?
GW: Many things. Mostly about what to call you. I think I've found you a name.
Draconith: You say that as though you reached up and plucked it from the sky.
GW: I did. Up there. Do you see that group of stars? (points at the Copywrite constellation)
Draconith: I know those stars very well.
GW: Do you see the shape that they make?
Draconith: Mm-hmm, a dragon.
GW: Yes. But we can't call you that, because we can't trademark that word. Instead we'll go with Draconith. It means "dragon", but we can trademark it.
Draconith: (chuckling) So instead of calling me "dragon" in your tongue, you'll call me "dragon" in legalese?
GW: You're right, it's silly.
Draconith: No! No, I would be honoured to be named after a writers attempt to avoid generic terms. I... I truly would. Thank you, GW. "Draconith"...



Seeing as GW will be calling orcs orcs in TOW, doesn't it kind of invalidate the whole "For copyright purposes" theory of stupid names?



Or perhaps GW changed their naming policies a bit and has adapted to copyright. Lets not forget the whole name-change fetish at GW came after they lost Chapterhouse and basically had very poor legal advice on copyright in itself. It was a reactionary move that perhaps has been proven to not really work or work how GW wanted. So perhaps they are more confident going back to original names.

A Blog in Miniature

The Swarm Arises

Do you ever notice, sometimes, there's an extra post? 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

ERJAK wrote:



Meh.

The Old World can't come soon enough.


Which is funny considering the old world had the worst dragon sculpts ever put into print.

The high elf dragon, dark elf dragon, and forest dragon are an insult to all creatures capable of visually perceiving shapes.


I ain't gonna argue with you about some of the old metal dragons (though that was in part due to the limits of base sizes and metal casting) but I've long though of snake dragons as part of GW's look, like skulls everywhere. Snake dragons to me look more medieval and different from the usual dinosaur dragons we see from other companies.

So I'd have like a less conventional take. These are impressive, make no mistake, but I'm not sure they're really better than some of the ones Reaper and Dungeons and Lasers are putting out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/27 11:22:16


 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




After Knights, super-Giants and Kragnos, this feels inevitable, but not exciting. Another pile of special rules and a skew model to deal with. Yay.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Overread wrote:


Or perhaps GW changed their naming policies a bit and has adapted to copyright. Lets not forget the whole name-change fetish at GW came after they lost Chapterhouse and basically had very poor legal advice on copyright in itself. It was a reactionary move that perhaps has been proven to not really work or work how GW wanted. So perhaps they are more confident going back to original names.


[Pedantic]Names are covered by trademarks not copyrights. Copyrights protect content (ie stories, images, music) rather than mere names. So when GW goes after a sculptor for copying their designs or an animator for using their characters it is a copyright dispute.

Trademarks protect names and other distinguishing features (logos and such). Generic names cannot be trademarked (Apple (r) brand apples) but unrelated names can (Apple (r) brand computers) even if they are preexisting words.

GW for example cannot claim a trademark on Orc or Goblin toys but could claim Night Gobos. Or even Black Orcs. Ultramarine is a preexisting word but not descriptive or generic for superhuman space men so GW could claim a trademark on it for toys and miniatures. Space Marine probably not.

There's also an element of search engine optimization. A search for "Ogre" brings up any number of fantasy images and even a game by a rival company OGRE. Ogors or Ogryn do not.

[/pedantic]

 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
There's also an element of search engine optimization. A search for "Ogre" brings up any number of fantasy images and even a game by a rival company OGRE. Ogors or Ogryn do not.


This reasoning seems like a double edged sword to me. You might not get people hitting random competotor minis while searching for Warhams, but you'll also never get people randomly stumbling upon Warhams when searching for generic fantasy stuff.

Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

True, but at the same time you back that up by having a heavy marketing campaign. Having unique names that work on just your stuff means that your investments into marketing work that bit better because now anyone specifically reacting to your marketing has a greater chance of landing on your site.

Meanwhile if you share a marketing term with another brand or a generic brand it becomes more hit and miss.

If I type Ossiarch or Bonereaper into google then GW stuff flies up high in the search results. However if I type Skeleton there's nothing warhammer at all.



Good marketing would not rely on random chance, yes that happens, but you can't rely on it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/27 11:48:00


A Blog in Miniature

The Swarm Arises

Do you ever notice, sometimes, there's an extra post? 
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

'The Realms Aren’t Ready For The Orruk Warclans Battletome’s Dirty Tricks and Stinky Monsters' first preview of the new Orruk Warclans battletome on Warhammer Community

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







I'm actually a little excited for this book.

Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in au
Grizzled Space Wolves Great Wolf





 Overread wrote:
True, but at the same time you back that up by having a heavy marketing campaign. Having unique names that work on just your stuff means that your investments into marketing work that bit better because now anyone specifically reacting to your marketing has a greater chance of landing on your site.

Meanwhile if you share a marketing term with another brand or a generic brand it becomes more hit and miss.

If I type Ossiarch or Bonereaper into google then GW stuff flies up high in the search results. However if I type Skeleton there's nothing warhammer at all.



Good marketing would not rely on random chance, yes that happens, but you can't rely on it.


That assumes people know to google Ossiarch. If people already know what you're selling, they're going to know to type in "games workshop skeleton" rather than just "skeleton" the same way as they're going to know to type in "ossiarch". As someone who played WHFB but doesn't play AoS, I don't remember half the names GW uses these days. I had to google "troll" to remember that GW renamed them "Troggoth".

It's even worse when GW do have a well identifiable name and they get rid of it. Now when you google "Night Goblin" you have to hunt to find the actual GW page because they renamed them Gloomspite Stabbas or some crap that I always forget.
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

I had to google "Age of Sigmar Ogre" to remember they're now "Ogors" so yeah. Definitely a two-edged sword.

WHFB and 40k used generic archetypes because it made it easy to bring people in. When I read an AoS thing my eyes glaze over after the 10th made up word.

 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
40k used generic archetypes because it made it easy to bring people in. When I read an AoS thing my eyes glaze over after the 10th made up word.

Ogryn, Ratling, Eldar, Squat... And that's before everything was changed to be copyrightable, and we got Aeldari and Drukhari and other bastarding things I can't spell.

Games Workshop are not your friends. They are not a small dev trying their best. They are a multibillion dollar company making calculated decisions about how many costs they can cut, how lazy they can be about relases, and how much they can paywall. They will do it again. Stop giving them money for this. 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Togusa wrote:
changemod wrote:
changemod wrote:
Their best effort at a plastic dragon, though it's disappointing to see since it's a multibuild kit it seemingly doesn't come, without some conversion legwork, with a generic option instead of "Sigmarine dragon or heavily scarred dragon."

Also they seem almost ashamed of their goofy """copyright""" name in the article now.


It's now been brought to my attention that the open mouthed head is missing almost half of it's teeth (No wonder I thought it looked a bit off) and that both have the Sigmar birthmark sculpted into their chest.

So yeah, not very interested at this point. I might do a lot of conversion work, but I lack the skill of major resculpting work to the point of mimicking the style of missing teeth to the point it wouldn't be very obvious.


They're part of the stormcast army...so of course they have his mark. I don't think these can be taken in other order armies the way Kragnos can.


Call me crazy, but especially after they've been so liberal about which armies can use giants, a large high quality/high detail generic dragon seems like a massive potential moneyspinner. Heck, I've thought for years, even pre-aos that it's odd GW doesn't really unambiguously do a fancy collectors piece dragon.

They're getting a bit better for that now with an increased variety of faction "dragons" such as the big chunky frog wyverns orcs use or the wingless slightly eastern looking lava dragon from the nudist dwarves line, I guess.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

GW have done fantasy collectors dragons - they just stopped marketing Forgeworld stuf all that much for AoS and have slowly been stripping it.

A Blog in Miniature

The Swarm Arises

Do you ever notice, sometimes, there's an extra post? 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Anyone know what that is
[Thumb - Screenshot_20210727-170235_Chrome.jpg]

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: